The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Anime like art style in cell shaded is the way to go we had talked and discuss about this before and definitely there are two art direction that the majority is favored of it is either…

SF Zero/Alpha style or SF2 Movie Anime

Without the hilarity of the wackiness and goofiness that the modern SF(SF4 and SF5) is forced doing in the other cast.

It’s possible that they could either do straight up moving 3d models either base from SSF2 portraits and art or SF Zero portraits and art even without cell shading process that makes it anime but they just don’t prefer it as a current art direction of their modern SF games.

SF4 fugly and wacky art with hilarious expression isn’t a bad work because it’s an art direction.

The merchandise bellow from those that license their brand in the past shows clearly they can successfully turn the glory of their past works whether it’s SF2 Art or SFZ Art to be translated into 3D version and it’s not the cased of impossible to achieve that needs a huge budget or not so good 3D Sculptors but its their different target of preferred art direction or how their company handling branding nowadays that is probably hindering it to happen.

2D to 3D conversion is not a matter of polygons count and details that’s why many anime franchise not just DBZ have been successfully translate and recreate their 2d works to 3D model interpretation in the past. The thing is Capcom’s current art team isn’t really aiming to do those art direction… compare to the merchandise that are licensing there brand.

The images are some I have stored in the past years for my toy collecting hobby, some are acquired and some are didn’t.

Storm Collectibles: I wouldn’t mind a game that isn’t cell shaded but do like straight on comparison to the portrait of SSF2, like Storm Collectibles did. I really like the art of the original world warriors in SSF2 come into their almost exact 3D or a more purist form.

Summary

PrototypeZ’s Ryu…

Summary

beta:

retail:

CFE Gashapon

Summary

Another from PrototypeZ more of Photorealism

Summary

Lets take a look at the past model kits Musaya Resin.

Summary

Let’s try Ryu in less detailed aspect in keshi’s(Gomu Gomu) in past bandai works

Summary

There is also something base on Shoei

Summary

(wrong arm attach, it is using Ken’s arm)

Bengus from Gashapon and Keshi

Summary

5 Likes

Someone is now shipping G and Rose, I know the world map is symbolic, but it does not work because its not visually visible even in second glance unless your aware of its representation and detail.

Fan art below

3 Likes

I you want specifics I want to see anything that you can catch that you normally wouldn’t see at normal camera angles, the remainder of the 4 Kings in the Ring of Power stage, as well as the whole stage itself if you can as I want to see if they rendered a complete stadium like the did for the previous Ring stages, as well as the Sagat stage.

1 Like

Other stuff continuing the post from above

3D stuff from nikko3d

With the proper shader and texture on the sculpt models this would work either cell shaded, photo-realistic or even the wacky cartoonist approach.

https://www.artstation.com/nikko3d

another one by Tim liao

by wingsyo (https://www.deviantart.com/wingsyo)

6 Likes

Thank you very much dude, that was quick!

Other things i can think are only

• the purple dressed russian mafia boss in russian stage
  • the statue/temple in akuma’s stage
1 Like

I’m used to the artstyle we have now,so tbh i want it to remain the same in SF6 and future titles.

They wanted to go for this look when they were still working on SF5. While it looks good, it does not look like Street Fighter for me. I could go with normal size hands and feet though.

3 Likes

Fuck that crap
I want that Bison design as alt though

4 Likes

It’s not that the 3D sculpt is bad because it was good but the art direction is not what SF should go. It’s like they are inspired by MK.

SF2 and SFZ aesthetics and character art will always sell like pancakes.

That is indeed bad art design for SF. Very bad.

Well,that’s why they dropped that design most likely. People can’t relate to it.

Only design i would like to see besides the one we currently have is to make the characters look like in the Street Fighter 4 movie.Copy what DBFZ did.

sf4_concept_art

8 Likes

The current people in Capcom should treat the SF as a franchise that also sell merchandise “characters” not just a brand name of a game that they put in everything like SF 2010, without the merch in it’s post era … sota, udon, oav movies and etc even the Daigo evo moment isn’t capable of making the franchise rise in the dark era. It was Hyper Fighting hype and success sales on Xbox that leads us to SF4, while the Vampire Savior didn’t get the market it needed for a sequel.

On that note, SF 2010 is a damn good game. Get an emulator and play it, trust me.

10/10 soundtrack for a NES game also !

@Skort Cammy doesn’t look the best there, but everyone else: YES!!!

For artstyle:
I never liked the SF2 and early Alpha art, and Edayan did a bad job with Alpha 2 IMO. I preferred the edgy in-game art of Alpha 3 compared to its actual art. SF3 (bar 3S) had art I really liked.

I’ll say this again, Bengus’ art from 1997-1999 would be the go to for me. Or get Kinu Nishimura.

Won’t argue with that I didn’t played it but I knew it was one of the okay and gem games in famicom.

While everyone was wanting that in the other thread and probably the best direction but the problem was it was crafted and developed by the people of Arcsys. It wasn’t just a 3D engine that Capcom can pay because it was Arcsys costumed made for XRD. They could partner but I doubt it’s gonna happen.

Bandai on it’s own have been doing a lot of cell shaded 3D games in past, but they need to collaborate with Arcsys to make that (DBFZ) game brilliance into reality. XRD have been doing that long before DBFZ did it but it didn’t get the praise and attentions that DBFZ get.

The best thing that Capcom can do is work around their resources and advantage. I prefer cellshading, but without or with cell shading they can work a brilliant SF game just by keeping and protecting their character design and iconic representation. Their advantage is their characters not just being a video game character but rather being historical pop culture icons like Mario and Sonic or even Mickey Mouse.

They should treat SF not just the competitive game brand like MK, KOF and KI that they could change character appearance radically every new game.

Competitive Gameplay doesn’t mess around character design visually.

Great Storytelling doesn’t need to radically alter character design visually.

1 Like

Dimps proposed cel shaded graphics, based on SFIII art, for early SFIV aesthetics but Ono and Capcom devs rejected the idea, suggesting a tougher hypertrophic look. They probably still had nightmares about the commercial failure the third chapter was.

I’d like to see this concept implemented in the future.

12 Likes

GORGEOUS!

SF3 art is so great

9 Likes

^Especially 2nd Impact’s.

3 Likes

The early unlikely Chun li face in MVCi isn’t a problem of budget and talentless 3D artist, it was art direction or the preferred aim finish product was the problem.

Some even rumored that it could have been inspired by Kristen Kruek Chun li, Kristen Kruek is a beautiful lady but I never like her to permanently replace Chun’s face, Capcom shouldn’t imitate the practice of the current Marvel and DC movies that alter their character unmasked to be similar with their cinematic actor counterpart. Because right now their selling point isn’t their comics but their cinematic versions.

Chun li is Chun li and a Chinese, She had her identity and presentation already no need to make her like other characters that was supposed to imitate and represent her. Those people that imitate and tries to represent her should not replace her facial identity.

I hope wont see an attempt of her being forced to be a new 3D Chun Li in-game. unless it is a brand new character.

This MVCi art posted here before would work too

TVC was low on polygons and didn’t have that much detail but it hadn’t have the same problem like MVCi art direction had encountered. The design were well accepted because it was more complementary to the well known character designs.

4 Likes

Thanks alot @The_Shakunetsu :angry:
Now I got the Chun li song stuck in my head because of that GIF

But it’s a good point you made there

1 Like

We had discuss this over and over in the MVCi thread last year.

Complementary art do wonders like everything is interconnected, relativity and has a continuity.

SF4 design made Ryu looks far more aged than his SF3 counterpart

Different media, different details, different era of creation, different teams and different artist but still managed to be complementary.

…Low Poly SFEX

Not all anime style is good, this isn’t fugly and ugly but this is not so Ryu. It’s like a skinny anime dude cosplaying as Ryu.

There are lots of fan art that can even represent Ryu more proper even not in white karate and without the red head band we are accustomed into visually compare to the Ryu that appeared in project x zone intro pics posted.

5 Likes