The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

All i ask is to do a 2nd and possibly 3rd story chapter, to give justice to SFV cast and link properly with SF3 (as i expect S4 and S5 to give some more SF3)

Then SF6 can move on in 202X, beyond SFV and right after SF3 events

1 Like

3-5 years after 3S is enough.

I don’t think Capcom are going to give a more direct link to SF3. The set up for that story is already here. Anything further is really just icing and “spelling out” stuff.

I think we could use one robust character story, probably Gill’s, that will directly refer to the coming of the SF3 tournament.

If we get more SF3 characters like rumored, we’ll be good.

S4

Viper - Sheds light on G, Q, Urien, and the aftermath of ASF, builds towards SF3
Oro - Builds toward SF3
Makoto - Builds toward SF3 (albeit useless to the general plot)
Necro - Builds towards SF3 (Sheds light on the Illuminati
Q - Possibly sets up new faction, or reveals details about G; Builds towards SF3

S5

Gill - Sets up SF3 and the future (maybe gives answers about the Alex connection)

Dudley and Elena’s SF4 stories essentially are open ended enough to lead straight to SF3. No stone is unturned at the moment.

So if we want a general story for the loose ends being set up in SF5, consider that they are there for SF6 in the same vein that Ed’s introduction in SF4 was meant for SF5.

:frowning:

I generally manage to always enjoy something about the design of SF’s characters (well, I think that Dee Jay is lame, but that’s it), so these talks of who’s not going to make it in the next games always depress me.

Imagine how they make @DarthEnder feel.

The new DLC system works in our favor ultimately, and that means characters will always get a second chance. I mean Birdie, Abigail and soon probably Sodom all got chances in SF5 that were unimaginable before this era.

2 Likes

Honestly I think if a future SF title does come out it’s only going to feature a few of the SF5 characters 2 at the least and 3 at the most if Capcom is generous. At least that’s been the trend with SF5 characters so far. If you notice there’s only been one character that’s originally from the SF4 series who made it into SF 5 who is Juri. What if SF 6 continues this trend and only saves one character from the previous iteration of the game?

1 Like

Yeah, but the SF5 characters are leaps and bounds better than the SF4 characters.

Juri was a huge success and that’s why she reached iconic status very fast. Many elements of SF4’s story obviously survived so that worked.

I think of SF5, it’s very likely that a few if not most characters will make it out because of story reasons. Gameplay-wise, I think Rashid, FANG, and G bring the most inspired and unique playstyles to the series.

3 Likes

If you look at SFV’s roster at launch, it mostly consisted of the obligatory mainstays, four new characters, and the rest were Alpha veterans who missed SFIV (Charlie, Birdie, Karin, Mika). Season 1 brought back two SFIII veterans who also weren’t in the previous game (Alex, Urien). The rest were either newcomers or classic characters that had a strong fan demand (mainly Akuma and Sagat).

Not really a fan of Juri but I see why they chose her. I would’ve preferred Abel or even Viper, but Juri was more popular and marketable. I guess Capcom figured that the SFIV newcomers weren’t that great to begin with or didn’t want to develop them further. I can’t comment on playstyles since I’ve yet to play SFV, but the new faces are a lot better than SFIV’s in terms of design and uniqueness.

S1 + Vanilla SF5 had the best year 1 roster in a numbered entry. I believe Capcom know what they are doing when it comes to character choices this time around as evidenced by their balanced and well thought out character designs in this chapter.

6 Likes

Tbh i wanted Abel in SFV, he’ sambo and i’m a forever a Fedor fan.

But i let Juri get precedence Taekwondo/Korea just deserve a slot and has been a gigantic hole in SF cast for so long until SF4

But after Juri Abel could have got a slot in SFV

Will also be fun if they give a second chance to Elf, people hated him for his shit gameplay but design wise he was SF as fuck

1 Like

Give me Skullomania guest character instead.

3 Likes

Rashid is definitely a shoe in for the next game due to his immediate and prolonged likability from the get go of the game and success.

F.A.N.G supposedly has an apprentice now according to backstory, so that could be a new character route they may decide to follow which would render F.A.N.G irrelevant in the next game…who knows?

And G may be the next Q where he could only be featured in this game and never seen again furthering his mystery.

Ed maybe, but thats just hopeful wishing on my part that the Neo Shadaloo story isn’t left open ended as it is now because it has potential to be interesting. Plus his story was left open ended in SF4, aside from the fact we knew he would be under Balrog’s influence which overall effected his personality. So as the trend goes we may see more of Eds story unfold in SF6.

New characters like Laura, Falke, Kolin, Menat, Zeku, and Abigail can all return to being supplementary side characters.

Necalli failed as a replacement and new take on a Akuma and was ultimately unnecessary and he rings nothing storywise so he should stay in SF5 too.

7 Likes

Original article about Sagat’s costumes ideas on CFN

And finally the Emperor is back (well, he surely kept us waiting)!
He’s a character with many peculiarities, so he’s almost unchanged; anyway, here are some ideas for his costumes.

Ideas for Sagat

We changed him to evoke a muay boran imagery.
Because of his new trainings and fights, he is covered in scars.
He now covers his upper body in order not to scare the villagers,
a befitting concern for a king.

And that’s all about him.
He now has a tiger, Weera Maew.š
Its correct name would be “Pichit Weera Maew”,
that means “winning brave cat”.

Sagat took it with him when it was a cub,
and just named it “Maew” (cat),
but soon it grew beyond expectations…
The village’s children were sorry for it
because they didn’t feel it right to still call it simply “cat”;
thus, they devised a new name.

¹ The problem with Thai language is that there doesn’t exist a standardised romanisation of the language that is universally accepted. The Royal Thai General System of Transcription is the closest one, but ultimately everyone does - to put it bluntly - what the hell s/he wants. So I chose the Thai2English’s one, simply because it’s the easiest to read for an English reader (well, if you leave out the diacritics for tones anyway). Now, The Japanese text writes the tiger’s name as ピチット・ウイラ・メーウ pichitto uira mēu. Where did the translators take that “Willa Maiu” from is beyond me, as it doesn’t even resemble the original Japanese rendition. The correct Thai is พิชิตวีรแมว píchít weerá maew (IPA: pʰíʔ tɕʰít wiːrá mɛːw), from พิชิต píchít “conquer”, วีร weerá “hero” and แมว maew “cat”. The prefix วีร weerá is particularly interesting, as it is of Sanskrit origin: वीर vīr “hero, fighter”, cognate with Latin vir, “man”, and old English wer (still “man”), now remained as “were” in “werewolf” (thus “manwolf”, literally). Basically, weeramaew is… werecat. Or, even better, wereMEOW, just because the name of the cat in Thai (as is in Chinese, 貓 māo) is so evidently of onomatopoeic origin… :laughing:
Same with poor Namupun, who obviously comes from the Japanese katakana rendition (ナムプン) of a Thai word which is very different: the original is น้ำผึ้ง Náam Pêung (IPA: nám pʰɯ̂ŋ), that means… Honey (from น้ำ náam “water” and ผึ้ง pêung “bee”, thus literally “bee water”). I know there is simply no way Capcom USA would ever rename her something even as simple as Nam Peung, so I’ll try to accustom myself to Namupun (sigh)…

13 Likes

How they make DarthEnder feel is, “If Smash can do EVERYONE IS HERE! than so can Street Fighter!!”

2 Likes

Lot of good solutions for Sagat, but ultimstely they chosen well

His SFV design is of great impact and work well as complementary of the inevitable nostalgia one

I wish there was an Urien code to remove the cape

The Battle alt is awsome too

A part of me thinks that we’ll get a 2nd story arc soon and that it’ll focus on G. I honestly want to save Neo Shadaloo for SF6 (besides, the time skip in the end of Ed’s story is enough material).

2 Likes

They can do both. A general story never focuses on just one plot. And if they want people to care for the new season 2 & 3 chars, they’ll have to put them all in.

2 Likes

Smash did it, Moron Kombat did it, now it’s just a matter of honor.

2 Likes

#BashTheSmash
especially after what happened at EVO

I did say “a part of me”. While I wouldn’t mind both G+Neo Shadaloo, I won’t be upset if we got both. I just think that Neo Shadaloo needs more than sharing the spotlight, especially since they seem more important than G.

agree and it’s not visually seen clearly as well if it was meant to be symbolic it’s not effective unlike they did with Abigail with canada symbol on top.

Whatever They come up with Sagat is satisfying.

New Generation preview that mentions Sean being American. I think this is the first source we have that confirms Sean was originally from the U.S.

7 Likes