The SRK PSA:BR Tournament Series interest and discussion thread

Edit: Ugh, after a harsh realization that no spectator mode makes it impossible to record matches I am not in, I decided to completely revamp my topic.

Now that the game has been out for a few weeks, I wish to run a series of weekly tournaments open to all SRK members and their friends in both 2v2 and 1v1 (hell, even FFA if enough people are interested). I hear a lot of discussion about “what would this game would look competitively, how should one go about it, etc” and I thought we should spend less time arguing the theory and more time bashing each other’s brains in. So in a nutshell the plan is to have essentially what I find so much fun on the SFxT boards: a series of tournaments in which people get points depending on their place, and whoever has the most points at the end wins and may receive a cash prize via paypal (do not worry that will be finalized before it starts).

I made this topic to see how interested people would be in my having such a tournament series, so please post if you are interested. It will also be a place for us to discuss the format of the events briefly so we are all in mutual agreement over how it should be conducted before it started. I realize that can be a very tricky conversation, based on topics I’ve seen that centered around this discussion, but now that we’ve played the game more it should be easier/I’ll put it down to a definite vote.

How many of you would be interested in participating in such an event?

I’m in for sure.

I’d be interested in a 1v1 and 2v2 tournament.

I’d be interested for sure in both 1v1 and 2v2. I’m not the best at the game but it’d be fun. Hell I even signed up on fraggednation but i’m probably just going to delete my acct there to be honest. Lack of spectator mode is a bit disappointing. It’d be great to have lobbies. Oh well, we’ll have to make due.

Perhaps I am being a bit too ambitious at the start. How would people feel about a single Tourney this weekend just to see how it all goes, and if everyone has fun I can make it an event?

People should not worry about skill too much for this. I hope I did not scare anyone in the first post about talking competitive and the like because I would like this to be fun.

As for 2v2 people can either bring someone they usually play with or pair up with someone here. I think point standings will be calculated individually in case the usual partner cannot make it that week or something.

I’m definitely up for an online tournament with some players who can think. :smiley:

So…should we try creating a ruleset we can all live with?

Here are my two cents on 2v2 format. Never did 1v1 so I will let others hammer it out.

I think that both items and hazards should remain on. Is stage selection possible in versus? I know you cannot toggle random stages, so I suggest either full random each round, random first than loser picks, or most unlikely we pick the same, awesome stage each time ( <3 Paris).

Time limit would be the safest option and I see no problems in character balance here. Those who suffer in ffa timer are usually right at home in it during teams. The other option I would advocate is Kill Limit to 5 like WNF does. No time limit might make fights go on too long or get too fleeing, however, if that kind of stuff is mitigated (as I think it is to a degree in 2v2), kill limit is the superior option. It also helps the cause that during th All Stars preview in which its own creators were playing it, they did so in Kill Limit.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a great idea. I just don’t know how good my connection would be from England.

Well we do not know unless we try right? The problem I feel is not just connections but also finding working times to do it, because iirc Seoul is in Hawaii and adding England that makes some issues. Maybe we’ll need to give specific time periods for opponents to arrange their own times.

Also without lobbies and spectators people have to be honest with match results and excessive lag reporting and all that. We’ll have to all be gentleman and ladies.

heres my input on the 2v2 format too, kills should be to like 6, instead of 5, sackboy demontrated that if most chars gets a lvl 3 its over, hes nerfed, but its still an issue.

Items: allowed, but ice missle and the medusa’s gaze are the only ones to turn off for me, both have real low spawn rates, but they basically guarantee a kill, (you just gotta hit them when they’re turned to stone to kill them, wtf?)

Hazards: on, but I wish you could do it by stage, Itd be nice to have alden’s tower start at the top while keeping all other stages on. and Dr. Nefarious’s bubbles in the San franciso stage are OD. lol

I am totally down for both 1v1 and 2v2. with the recent post by superbot, it looks like we won’t have to wait long for a timed stock mode. :smiley:

all modes: stage select random and then loser can pick stage. hazards should always be on and items as well (I think you can make a case for turning off the rare items, although they have that aura that appears about 8 seconds before it actually spawns to make them balanced… hmmm)

So when would people be up for our first 1v1 tournament to set the waters? I’m not free Friday/Saturday but I can moderate the brackets if people wanted to do it then, or how about next Friday?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Saturday

Whatever works for you.

saturday

I’ll be free for Sunday or next week personally. Saturday night I could possibly do it but i’ll be working. Of course please if theres enough people for this saturday you guys should jam it out so we can try to see how it goes.

@SamuelVimes

How are you running the brackets? Are we sticking to 1v1 or 2v2?

anytime next weekend completely works for me :slight_smile: anyone who plays me, I can record the matches as well.

If people want me to run the stuff as I said this weekend is looking bad. I can easily make time for next Saturday though I will save the date.

I think 1v1 will be the easiest to do first with the amount of people we have. I think if it is a small number it could be double elimination which would be nice if people had the time. 1v1, random stage first Hazards on 2/3 loser picks next stage 3 stock. I will use that bracket website and a random number generator.

Normal flow of items with them on I would like to propose a vote about allowing certain items. Things like freeze rocket and Madusa Head are instant kills but in a 1v1 they are also very hard to hit with. At the same time rocket especially makes it hard to approach someone who has it so it becomes this boring stalemate. What say you all?

Also plan on making a seperate signup topic to ensure who is playing and who isn’t and leave this for general talk and debating things. Ill make it once we hammer out a time Saturday?

a

are you using challonge by chance?

Medusa Head barely spawns so I say not to worry about it. But that rocket came up more than a few times in a few matches we had. In a stage such as dojo hitting that freeze rocket can lead to big ap gains over and over because of the walls.

Other than that, i’m set. Are we allowed to counterpick if we lose a game?