Unblockable
Push Block
Glitch
Advanced Hyper Viper Beam (AHVB)
Reset
Money Match (MM)
Just Defend
Ranking Battle (RanBat) - I see the question of what’s a ranbat all the time
Crosshand(ed) - Playing on an arcade stick with your hands in a reversed position. Right hand is controlling the joystick and the left hand is pushing the buttons, this causes your arms to cross. Seth Killian is the only person I can think of that uses this method successfully.

-DJ-

Great job guys! I have a couple notes if that is okay:

-The definition of pushblock you have is correct. You wanted that confirmed. You may want to add the it negates chip damage for a short time, and leaves the user vulnerable if used in the air.

-AVHB actually stands for “Air Hyper Viper Beam”. The startup and especially recovery times of the HVB change drastically if its used in the air. It has nothing to do with whether or not you tiger knee the motion, or any other advanced method.

-SF4 Sagat’s overhead is toward+fierce, not toward+jab.

Thanks!

My bad this would be correct. Air Hyper Viper Beam.

A few things:

When a just defend is performed a small amount of life is gained.

Also for reset, it is more for resetting the damage scale.

-DJ-

In the Games section you should also add the following…

TvC - Tatsunoko vs Capcom
KOF - King of Fighters, i guess you can add like 98UM and the likes. Up to you.
MBAA - Melty Blood Actress Again
SSV - Samurai Shodown V

Can’t really think of any more off the top of my head, if anyone else can think of anymore abbreviations please add them.

Also this index is coming along really well. Good work.

Games:
GG /XX/#R/AC - Guilty Gear/XX/#Reload/Accent Core
BB - Blazblu
PF - Puzzle Fighter
SC - Soul Calibur

More words:
Piano Tap
Scraped (it’s become a popular phrase now)
Chain Combo
Semi-Infinite
Infinite
Airthrow
CPS1/2/3
Supergun (some people don’t know what a supergun is)
Softban
Macro

Tournaments:
EVO (Evolution)
SBO (Super Battle Opera/Tougeki)
FR (Final Round)
MWC (Midwest Championships)
SB (Seasons Beatings)

I can’t think of that many more that are as big as those, well that still exist.

-DJ-

Roll Cancel (RC)

How did we all miss this term? I guess you can add the word Roll too since that is also a basic term.

Also the bold around Trade is messed up its missing the /

-DJ-

Perhaps when you guys add terms, you could also provide the definition. The OP shouldnt be fully responsible.

Yeah, especially since I don’t really know what some of these things are. I think I got RCing right, maybe not though.

agree x2

Roll Cancel sounds about right. On roll though it exists in lots of games. I think all the vs games, snk, cvs, alpha, and 3S all have roll. Alphas roll command is weird B,DB,D+KK shit I can’t remember if its 2 kicks or 1.

I know what they are hard to explain. Here is a shot at 1 of them (feel free to change to make it sound better)
Alpha Counter - a counter in the Alpha series and CvS2 (1?) in which a character uses one bar/level of meter in order to counter hit a blocked attack, Performed by hitting f + Same Strength P + K instantly following a blocked attack
Charge Partition - ?? I have no idea how to word this SOMEBODY WITH KNOWELEDGE OF THIS HELP!!
Charge Buffering - http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/sep/10/charge-buffering-street-fighter-4/

Taken from an older post of mine.

Supergun - An adapter used to connect an arcade board to a television set, console controllers can be used with the right setup.
Softban - Something that is not banned but is extremely frowned upon in tournament play. EX: ST, Akuma is allowed in Japanese tournament play but is extremely frowned upon, USA he is banned.
CPS1/2/3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_III (Capcom System, the different systems used in different arcade boards of Capcom games, only games of that CPS type can be played on that system)

Everything with the word combo, has really good definitions just copy and paste http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_(gaming)

The link contains:
Combo
Simple Combo
2-1
Auto Combo
Chain Combo
Super Combo
Custom Combo
Juggle Combo (same as Juggle)
Air Combo

-DJ-

I’ve added descriptions for some of the items:

~ = The notation for “immediately afterwards”. It usually means the moves should be inputted very frames apart, but it varies by move and game. eg. Ken’s Kara throw in SFIV is f.mk~lp+lk, pianoing the punches from low to high would be lp~mp~hp

Absolute/Free guard = A game is said to have absolute guard if hits at your level (ie standing or crouching) are blocked automatically while you’re in hitstun. eg. In SFIV, if you block the first hit of Metsu Shoryuken the game will automatically block the rest even if you push forward. Games with free guard require you to manually block regardless of whether you’re not in blockstun.

Hit pause = The slight pause that occurs in some games when moves/projectiles hit the opponent

Juggle = A combo that connects while the opponent is off the ground.

Cancel = To cancel the animation and or properties of one move by using a another.

Chain = A chain is a series of normal moves where the recovery of each move is canceled into the startup of it’s successor, thereby creating a combo.

CPS1 cancels = A type of cancel exclusive to SF2 games which ran on Capcom’s CPS1 hardware (WW, CE, HF) that allowed you to cancel chainable kicks into any punch. The trick was to start with a light chainable kick, and then switch stance from high to low (or vice versa, depending on which move you started the combo with) and press the same kick + any punch. eg. c.lk xx s.lk + s.fp. This was a powerful technique because the punch maintained combo potential so it could be cancelled into a special move (In SF2, CPS1 chains ending in a special usually dizzied the opponent)

Renda cancel aka Renda kara cancel aka Chain Cancel = A technique used primarily in SSF2T to extend a chain combo into special combo (usually Super). In SF2, you could not combo into a special move after a chain combo. You can bypass this limitation though by starting a chain combo with crouching attacks and then kara-cancelling a standing chainable move into a special. eg. To combo into Ken’s Super from two shorts: c.lk xx c.lk [df f d df] xx f.lk~p. SFIV’s Chun Li’s c.lk c.lk into EX legs is also apparently a renda cancel.

Kumite = An organized battle were 1 player squares off against a number of other opponents (usually 5 or more)

Gachi aka Taiman Gachi = A long series of matches (usually 10+) between two players

Feel free to correct any mistakes/oversights

A note on the vortex:
I think the key concept which is missing from the description is that each mixup option resets the vortex if it is landed successfully. Without that aspect it wouldn’t be a vortex, just a plain mixup.

Well thats the only way that TAP(turn around punch) will work. The move comes out of a negative edge input.

Here are a few that new players may be looking for:

Focus Attack - A SF4 exclusive command done by hitting Strong (medium punch) and forward (medium kick) at one time. You may absorb one attack to make its damage temporary, but the Revenge meter gained is permanent. Hold down the buttons to charge up the attack, which will activate via Negative Edge. Maximize it’s power at level 3 to make the attack unblockable.

Focus Cancel - A SF4 exclusive command done by performing a Focus Attack during the animation of another attack. not all moves are eligible for Focus Canceling, and certain normal and special moves are chosen arbitrarily. Requires two ex bars.

Focus Attack Dash Cancel (FADC) - A SF4 exclusive command done by performing a Focus Cancel and immediately dashing to sometimes gain massive frame advantage and juggling opportunities. Similar to Roman Canceling (Guilty Gear) and Rapid Canceling (BlazBlue) except for the fact that you must dash in either direction before reaching a neutral state.

Saving Attack - A Japanese name for Focus Attack. Some Western arcade players use this term from when there was no English version in existence.

If these are too long winded, just do some editing :slight_smile:

thnx for this thread, i had alot of basic terms down already but i found alot here i had heard and didn’t know or wasn’t sure of, thnx for the great work!

@HBRD

Is it alright if I use this same information but in another site? I’ll post your name and everything for due credit.

Sure, but remember it’s changing pretty much daily.

Cool, and thanks. I’ll keep up with it.

I dunno about the reset definition. I always thought that a reset was a pause in a combo that will reset damage scaling. Like a balrog combo in sf4… j.FP,jab,jab,short,ex-dash punch,jab,short,headbutt,ultra = 450ish dmg
but… j.fp,jab,jab,short,ex-dash punch,jab,short,overhead(reset),short,headbutt,ultra = 700ish dmg