The SRK Glossary - WIP

You should get some game-specific terms in there for TvC as well. Baroque, Advancing Guard, MegaCrash

People are going to need to help me with the game-specific stuff for the games I don’t play. TvC, anything SNK made, Marvel, etc. I pretty much only play SF4, GG/BB, and a little 3s/ST.

Found a better explanation of plinking from the same guy as in the video you linked to

[media=youtube]SKhDcn9WjBg#t=3m30s[/media]

Thanks Iduno, I knew Loltima had a better explanation for plinking in one of his videos, couldn’t remember which. Also edited with a video with examples of Option Selects.

Good starting point for this, thanks for your work. The hardest part of doing anything like this is just getting people involved and getting the project off the ground.

That said, and this is something I harp on a lot, some of these definitions aren’t very useful to most of the people who would be looking for them, really the same problem as the glossary on Sonic Hurricane or almost any other FG glossary I have seen. The problem is that they are written from an advanced/intermediate point of view, and therefore expect understanding of concepts that many new players may be unsure of or completely unfamiliar with. A good glossary entry should define something on its own, rather than forcing people to jump around to several other definitions to try to piece together the bigger picture. For example-

What’s the problem here? Most FG players are surprised by this, but many new players don’t really know what “anti-air” means. It seems like common sense, but as the old proverb says, common sense is hardly common. Anti-air itself is not defined, and then it quickly jumps into discussion of Akuma - a specific character - without talking about what game (ST? SF4?) and using more terminology that people may be unfamiliar with, like SRK and SGS.

Another example-

Things you have to know to understand this definition include 1. what a meaty attack is 2. frames, active frames, 3. reversal, 4. wakeup. Out of those, only the 4th one is even slightly self explanatory.

Of course, there are many definitions in the list that are perfectly fine, as well, and we don’t necessarily want individual definitions to get unnecessarily complex and long. I would propose a better format for the glossary. Each term should have a simple, 1 or 2 sentence definition that defines the concept as clearly as possible, using a minimum of jargon necessary to keep the definition from turning into a paragraph. Then, for more advanced concepts, it should be followed by a spoiler text field that explains the concept in greater detail, a paragraph or two as necessary, and maybe even specific examples for specific popular games. An example for Safe Jump might be

Safe Jump: A jumping attack on a knocked-down opponent timed to be safe regardless of the opponent’s response. Additional information:

Additional Information

[details=Spoiler] A safe jump is a tactic used against a knocked-down opponent to pressure them with little to no risk. In most fighting games, characters who have special moves that are invincible for a few moments can perform them the first possible moment after being knocked down (with reversal timing - include link to Reversal definition) to counter any attacks. For example, in SF4, if you knock Sagat down and try to sweep him as he gets up, he can perform a reversal Tiger Uppercut, which will beat the sweep because Tiger Uppercut is invincible for a moment when it is first executed (on startup, include link to Startup definition). Safe jumps take advantage of the fact that most moves of this type are immediately invincible, but cannot actually hit the opponent until a few moments later. Going back to the Sagat example, all versions of Tiger Uppercut have 5 frames (include link to Frame definition) of startup - that is, the attack does not hit the opponent for the first 5/60ths of a second of the move. If timed correctly, a character performing a jumping attack against a knocked-down Sagat can land during this 5-frame window and be blocking before the Tiger Uppercut hits. This is a very powerful technique, as when executed correctly, all possible outcomes are advantageous or neutral for the attacker:

1. Sagat tries to reversal and fails. In this situation, the jumping attack hits Sagat as he stands up, doing damage and often leading into a combo.
  2. Sagat does not try to reversal, and forgets to block high or otherwise makes a dumb error. Again, the jumping attack hits as Sagat stands up, doing damage and often leading into a combo.
  3. Sagat blocks high, blocking the attack. Most jumping attacks will typically leave the attacker at a neutral or advantageous situation when blocked. Make sure to pick the right jumping attack!
  4. Sagat tries to reversal and succeeds. In this situation, the Tiger Uppercut’s startup invincibility will allow Sagat to go right through the jumping attack, and he will not get hit. However, because Tiger Uppercut has 5 frames of startup, the attacker has time to land and block the Tiger Uppercut, and then punish with whatever they want.

In specific games, the knocked down opponent may have additional options. For example, in SF4, Sagat could Focus Attack (link to Focus Attack definition) on wakeup, absorbing the jumping attack, and then try to dash away to safety. However, in general, these additional options all still result in advantageous or at least neutral situations for the attacker, making the Safe Jump a very powerful technique.

The exact timing of Safe Jump attacks depends on the specific characters involved, and not all characters are vulnerable to them. For example, in SF4, Ryu’s Shoryuken’s (all strengths) have only 3 frames of Startup. Due to SF4’s specific mechanics, characters who perform jumping attacks cannot block for 3 frames after landing (this is called Tripguard - link to Tripguard definition). As a result, it is impossible to Safe Jump Ryu in SF4, as his Shoryuken will hit before the attacker can land and block. In order to get the most out of this advanced technique, learn your matchups! [/details]

In this definition, for the initial definition I tried to boil it down to a simple, 1 sentence explanation that would make sense even to a complete newbie to the game, if a bit lacking on details. Then, there’s the longer mini-essay on the specifics. This requires the introduction of advanced concepts like frames, startup, etc. but I do my best to try to use non-jargon language as much as possible, plus including links to other definitions with more details.

This is obviously a lot more work than just writing the definitions as is, but if we get enough people working on it, I think we could really turn out a great resource for new players that really helps people understand new concepts instead of being intimidated by them.

Thanks. Yeah, it’s hard to define some of these without having circular definitions. And I was really just trying to keep things shorter, and link off to more complete explanations of anything I can’t fit in 2-3 lines.

I’d be willing to put a couple paragraphs about each thing if other people pitch in with defining stuff.

isn’t it supposed to be V-ISM for the Alpha Series

Yeah, fixed.

Just wanted to say I appreciate what you are doing and learning about some things I had some questions about. I will be sharing this with others and subscribing right now :smiley:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks! I’m a lot more interested in reading the posted strategies now that I have a reference to go to for most of the abbreviations used.

Another thing you might want to add in there would be the Kara Throw… It was a lot more popular in 3s, however it still is there in SF4 specifically Ken can do his Kara Throw with mk->lk+lp

See Kara Cancel. It’s not just for throwing :tup:

A couple random ones I thought of:
SJC
Vortex, which could be included with untechable kd
Air control
Spacing
Ground game
Reverse OCV

~
UOH
BnB
FFF
SA1/2/3
Absolute/Free guard
Hit pause
Juggle
ToD combo
Cancels, Chains, Chain/Renda/CPS1 cancels
Counter hit
Kumite, Gachi

This is more of a nitpick than anything, but CC (custom combo) originated in Alpha 2, not Alpha 3’s V-ISM.

Also:

Priority: Determines whether an attack will beat, lose, or trade with another attack upon collision.
Trade: Both players get hit with each other’s attacks upon collision.
Hitbox: The area/range of an attack or a character’s body (which is sometimes called “hurtbox”). Example: [media=youtube]daMh2pCo1FI[/media] (blue encompasses the area where the character can get hit and damaged by an attack. Red is for attacks).
Air to Air: An aerial move commonly used to beat the opponent’s aerial moves.
Block String: A series of attacks that force the opponent to stay in blocking position. Used mainly for limiting their options, baiting responses, pushing them to the corner, etc.

I’ve never heard the term “proration.” That’s commonly referred to as damage scaling.

^ Might be worth noting that priority does not actually exist in game as a value or anything, it is merely a blanket term used to describe speed and hitboxes

Quoting myself because i feel numeric notation is very important.

I’ve always thought of priority as a a term that gives an idea as to what moves will generally win. It’s no secret that if you throw out 2 different moves, assuming the conditions are always the same, the result should be the same as well. Stronger moves (in general, but not always) tend to win out more often due to the hitbox placement. Whether or not there’s an actual number value on the programmed level that plays a part is not something I’m aware of. Could even be dependent on the game itself, but that’s another bag of money.

I don’t know of any games other than Guilty Gear that have it (does BB?), but you could put in a definition for Jump Install.

(http://www.dustloop.com/ggac/tech/ji.html)

I’d also throw in the shorthand for GG/BB/TvC/etc.

Fantastic glossary. This is going to be extremely helpful to beginners.

Pretty 100% that jump-install is only specific to Guilty Gear. Like charge-partition is to 3s.

BB doesn’t have jump-install. OR, you can say that BB auto-jump-installs everything you do; actually you probably shouldn’t.