THE SF4 BEGINNERS Thread! NEW? POST HERE FIRST!

It’s also known as softening throws.

Honest question: Why are you guys so hardcore? I’ve lurked unregistered for about a 2weeks before actually signing up. I had to review some of the terms (meaty). But I mean you eat these guys alive.

It’s just fun to apply yourself to a craft, in this case Street Fighter. Don’t let all the hardcore talk scare you, people here are generally snuggly teddy bears once you get to know them.

A meaty attack would be for instance knocking someone down, and then throwing out an early attack (like a fireball) so that the tail-end of the animation will hit the opponent as he wakes. This is useful in keeping the pressure on your opponent, and will also make you recover from the attack faster if it’s blocked.

I believe that softening is the term used in ST because you still get thrown although you reduce the damage of the throw. In SF3 and SF4 you just get thrown or take no damage at all if you tech a throw.

Quick couple of questions, they’ve probably ben answered elsewhere but I couldn’t find anything.

1. Focus Attack has levels 1-3, right? I know some of the attributes, level 3 is totally unblockable, level 1 can be comboed but I was wondering what the deal was with what you can take - hit wise? I know 1 hit is deflected when in the focus attack but sometimes when I’m hit with a single hit: I’m hit and there is a smash sound. Is this because the move that hit me was too powerful? If this is the case what can each level take hit wise?

2. how do you tell which level of focus you’re in?

3. Do different characters have different amounts of energy? Some characters seem to lose health a lot quicker than others.

1. Some moves are armor breaking, which would break through the FA. M. Bison’s Psycho Crusher is an example of this. You can also be thrown out of focus, just as a heads up.

2. The longer you hold MP+MK will determine which level of focus attack you unleash. Tap it for a level one, wait for your character to flash white for level two, and hold the buttons until the attack automatically unleashes (you’ll flash yellow) for level 3.

3. Yes, I play Akuma, he happens to have horrible stamina. A character like Zangief has a ridiculous amount of health in comparison. Here’s a comparison chart.

Well I’m quite well into SF but not into playing with a stick (I am playing for like 3-4 months).
I used to play SF3 with a pad and i had no trouble at all doing combos like cr. lkx3 into super.

Then I got a stick for HD Remix and I played mainly charge chars. I tried Ryu but I am not that good in double qcfs while playing with a stick (I had no trouble at all with the pad, at least from the p1 side).
The fun part is that my double qcfs with a pad sucked from the p2 side, while I had trouble with double qcfs from the p1 side.

The bottom line is that I can’t perform these motions that fast with a stick (at least after 3 cr. lk SF3S/CVS2 style).
I know that all i have to do is practice but I want to know how hard is it to do a FADC into ultra compared to all this stuff.

E.g. with Ryu do you have enough time for the double qcf after the fadc or you have to be lightning fast?
I also find it hard to cancel standing hits into supers, but ok that’s another matter.
For now my main worry is the FADCs into Ultras which as it seems is the basic setup for using your ultra effectively.

Oh, I also have to improve my P1 side playing (don’t know what I am doing wrong) but I even miss single QCFs at times, while i never miss a QCB.

Close but not quite. Generally stun doesn’t regenerate, it resets.

I’m not sure of the exact number in SF4, it varies from game to game.

In CvS2 for example, stun resets after about 3 seconds of not getting hit/blocking. That is to say, if you have incurred 10 stun points you have to avoid your opponents attacks for 3 seconds. If you block 2 jabs while you have those 10 points, the 3 seconds resets at the end of the 2 jabs, so you have to wait a full 3 seconds from the end of contact.

An important thing to note, attacking your opponent falls under the category of avoiding your opponents attacks.

SF4 feels similar to CvS2 in that respect, so use that as a guideline.

It’s pretty fast, but still plenty of time to get mixed up.

So ps3 sticks work for ps3 and pc, while xbox360 sticks work for xbox360 and ps3. How do tournaments work then? Is there a system that is the tournament standard? Are tournament players expected to own both ps3 and xbox360 sticks?

Read this. Tell your friends.

http://shoryuken.com/?p=502

Okay, I’m being partially owned in SSFIITHDR. Let’s see if I remember all problems…

-When I am ducking and blocking and someone still manages to hit me and get me into a combo, is that one of those overheads?

-Is there some sort of trick to throwing? Do they have priority? I never seem to come out on top when we are both intending on throwing each other (I play Claw.) Same applies in Claw vs Claw where we both go for the Izuna drop (even though I know I should be spiking him instead.)

-Is there a trick to cross-ups? I think I see 'em coming and I turn in order to block from the right direction, but they always manage to hit me and get me into a string.

-For Claw players, is it possible to do different walljumps? I keep seeing Claws online who look like they twist their walljumps so that the enemy won’t hit them properly. I have tried activating the jump with all kicks, and moving the stick in mid-air, but I always get the same aerial route.

Sorry if that was too many questions.

Ok, a few questions:

1. Is it possible to FA from a non-special move cancelable normal (eg ken cr. rh/hk)?

2. Is it possible to FA reversal using FA (eg react to charged FA with my own FA)? Or is it considered to be armor breaking.

3. I know that quick standing is good for varying rising speed and throwing off the opponents crossups or meaty attempts but are there any disadvantages to performing consistent quick stands. Also is quick standing possible to execute when downed by a super/ultra move?

4. Does back stepping have invulnerability frames?

5. I just need to confirm this anyone: whats the default button layout for 360pad?

I’ve got a very simple question here.

Does anyone have the NA PS3 version of the game? Can you please check and see if the save file is copyable?

Also, can someone please tell me the same thing for the NA 360 version of the game?

Thank You.

uic

FADC ultra combos are interesting in SF4 imo, because they represent a fairly new motion in fighting games. I’m sure there are some things, but for the most part FADC ultra combos feel pretty different to me than other tactics which are applicable across games (Instant Air Dash, Pushblock, Alpha Counter, Parry, etc)

With that in mind, they take a little bit of time to learn because they are somewhat unintuitive. The key in many cases, is to just get used to the iming of dashing, then immediately buffering the super motion, so that upon exiting the dash the you can just hit PPP/KKK. It varies based on length of dash, the move that was FADC’d, etc, so building that muscle memory will take sometime.

However, if you can perform other advanced tactics in SF, you will be able to pick up FADC in time. It’s not inordinately difficult, its something that everyone in tournaments will be able to do, although better players will hit them more consistently (near 100%).

1. Most likely. If you are in a down/back position, and the other character is standing and hits you with a non-throw attack, then that attacl was generally an overhead (or perhaps an unblockable attack. In SF4, this would easily happen off a lvl3 Focus, but in ST I can’t think of any)

2. Tick throwing is mainly a timing issue. It all boils down to the throwers throw attempt being performed on earliest frame available for the throwee to be thrown. That means the throwee must be fully out of blockstun/hit stun for the thrower to even ATTEMPT to throw him. From that point, there’s the time for the actual start up of the throw. In ST, I think throws are 0 or 1 frame. Tick throws are very powerful in that case, because there is no time to be hit out of a proper tick throw by any normal attack, a reversal must be used.
    In other games, throws range between 3-5 frames commonly, so with a bit of mistiming on the part of a tick throw combined with a 2-3 frame light attack, hitting a tick thrower out of his attempt with a normal attack is much more feasible.

One bit of advice I can give you is that when going for a throw, its generally an idea to get a couple button presses. I don’t mean to say, mash fierce punch, but that’s sort of what you want to do. Remember, its possible for you and your opponent to throw at nearly the same time, but your button input to fall on a frame where a tech wasn’t possible (in the startup animation of the throw). So your input would be totally discounted and you’d be thrown even though you went for a throw so you’d expect a tech.

The situation varies from game to game, but, a tick thrower can often be thrown first, sometimes attacked. My simplest advice though would be to just mash fierce punch (or jab+short). I try to hit at at least 3 times even though its scrubby. This can get you killed vs a player who is setting you up, but you can learn to deal with that once you learn to deal with throws, hope that helps.

1. If you see the crossup coming, and actually block the other way and still get hit, than the opponent must not have crossed you up, no? Sometimes people perform what are commonly referred to as “fake crossups” which look like a crossup but end up on the original side. Also, there are certain ambiguous crossups which are just difficult to block regardless, think pre-sf4 sakura’s crossup mk. In certain situations you may as well guess which side to block. You’ve just gotta do your best and eyeball the side the attack will occur upon, then quickly block low any followup.

2. Wall jumps are the same regardless of button to my knowledge. You can bend your path of travel, not completely control it. I think perhaps what youre missing is that you must hold the stick in the desired direction only after you’ve bounced off the wall. Claw automatically will fly towards your opponent in a parabolic form I guess, so there’s a limitation on exactly how much altering on the path you can do. It’s also probably a little different from game to game.

I think in every game, you can hold back, just after you hit the wall, to pull yourself backwards and land on the ground. It’s sort a of way to bait a DP which you can hopefully punish. Another common trick is to wiggle the stick when Vega is over your opponents head. That way the opponents inputs get slightly crossed up and you can hopefully grab him quickly before he has a chance to retaliate.

Generally, I think the best thing to do is to just get into the practice of guiding Vega towards where you want him, and you’ll become familiar with what is possible.

1. No.

2. Officially, Lvl 3 FA is armor breaking. There have been credible reports of witnessing a lvl1 FA counter a Lvl 3. The theory is that perhaps a Lvl 3 FA is only armor breaking during its initial frames, because it is know that the move loses at least its armored properties around midway into the attack.

So techinically, the answer is no. But there is still more to find out on this one.

1. If you quick stand consistently, the main drawback is that an opponent can often read this and react accordingly. I don’t think there is any techinical drawback to tech quick rising, but it is definitely possible for the attacker to apply pressure on a quick rise and cut off you reversal attempts.

Quick rising is not possible vs a lot of attacks. Off the top of my head: Sweeps, Throws, Ultras, and im 90% sure Supers, cause a knockdown state that prevents Quick Rise.

1. Yes.

Good questions. See the wiki for more information about backdashes including invincibility frames and duration.

I am by no means a beginner to fighting games, but I have a very beginner question.

How do you do a FADC fast enough to actually pull it off? I mean, I know it’s MP+MK and dash forward but, I could never do it fast enough.

I’m, used to fast button commands. I’ve done kara demons in 3S with a PS2 controller, I’ve done dash to Gigas Breaker with Hugo, I’ve done a fair share of easy-to-mid combos… granted, nothing pro level, I’m using those as simple examples rather than bragging. Just that I know how to do stuff to “hide inputs.” Stuff like that 7-hit combo DeeJay has in HDR people used to get the combomaniac achievement. It’s cross-up mk, c.jab, c.jab, c.jab, rh rising kicks. As SOON as you jump you start holding down for the charge move. Stuff like that.

My problem has never been with execution, always with learning the match-ups and pulling off links (chains were easy) but I just could not do a FADC out of a special move to save my life.

Granted, I only played SF4 for one day up at TGA (I drove to Massachusetts to visit a friend back in November and knew very little about the game) but it’s tough. Is there some sort of buffer? Example, let’s say you want to Shoryuken then FADC, it would be F,D,DF HP >> MP+MK -> ->. But I couldn’t do it quick enough to avoid going airbourne. Can you do like ->+MP+MK then -> instead? Like, having the first input for the dash be “hidden” in the FA?

Sorry for the simple question, but I tried to search for an answer but had no idea what to type in the box. FADC brings up damn near every topic, and I didn’t know what other keywords to use. Easy? Simple? Buffer? Hell, I don’t know. Maybe I just need the get the game and practice to figure it out myself. But surely there’s a sneaky shortcut to hide a step to make it easier? I think my problem is that I feel rushed after I do the DP motion.

Sorry for the long post, I guess the simple question is… is there a shortcut or do I just need to “L2Pscrub?”

should probably also note that both standing and crouching block will block ‘high’ attacks, i.e. all standing non-overhead attacks, the vast majority of crouching punches, and most specials and supers.

that’s not entirely true; ‘proximity blocking’ is the term for being put into a blocking animation by your opponent’s attacks if you hold back within a certain range of your opponent, even if the attacks aren’t making contact. if your opponent attacks at all within that range, you will block rather than walk back. in SF2 it doesn’t matter how far away your opponent is, you will always go into a block animation if your opponent attacks and you hold back (i.e. proximity blocking doesn’t exist in SF2)

I am new to sticks specifically, I have some questions.

How hard should I grab my stick? Meaning what’s the preferred amount of pressure one should hold it so moves can come out smoother and faster.

Best way to jerk the stick? You know, when you’re doing a move and you need to quickly jerk your stick backwards or forward. Should you grab the shaft with all four fingers, 2 fingers or thumb?

Basically looking for general tips to improve my move penetration and execution. I got a TE stick so I already will be using the best, now it’s time for the skills to follow up.

trying too hard

It’s all a matter of preference, and also what type of stick you’re using. Smaller Japanese sticks like Sanwa I hold sort of like a wine glass, with index and middle finger around the ball area, and my ring and pinky finger supporting the shaft on the bottom end. Some people play with their thumb up top, some people grab it by the ball top. There’s no correct way to hold a joystick. Japanese sticks generally have a smaller throw and require much less arm movement, mostly being done with the wrist.

I have two questions and I swear I’ve read every link in the sticky and all of this topic:

1. If you chain c.lk, c.lk does it mean you actually cancel the first lk into the second?

2. When I hit someone after lv3 fa, they fall back (back, not to ground mind you) like I just hit them in the air, so I can’t continue to combo after first hit. But sometimes they stand there so I can continue to combo. Why and when does this happen?