THE SF4 BEGINNERS Thread! NEW? POST HERE FIRST!

The above links will be a useful compilation for us semi-noobs, as well.

Thanks!

I’m not THAT new, but pretty new, but I always wondered this;

Does stun regenerate?

If so is it really fast, or slow?

I see some people type FADC, and some type SADC… is there a difference? Basically what Im asking, is Saving Attack and Focus Attack the same thing, just people call it something different? Or is Saving Attack something on its own completely?

Yes they are the same. In japan its called Saving Attack. In the states (and others) its focus attack.

They’re the same thing. Saving Attack is the Japanese name, Focus Attack is the English name. Kinda like how, in 3S, they called parrying “blocking”, because what we call blocking, they call “guarding”.

hmm ive said it before in some other thread, but yeah you cant fadc into super simply because you’ve used 2 ex bars to fadc, so you’ll never have enough to do a super move.

I’m not really a beginner at all, I’m just a lurker that signed up spontaneously one day. But hello anyways.

Hi Guys.
I have been waiting for the right situation to post a extremely noob questions, because you guys seem pretty hardcore. I guess that right situation is here! Sooo: How do you block attacks? What buttons do your press? And what does a standing block, block? And what does a crouching block, block?

You know, that’s actually basic enough a question that none of the links up there specifically mention how to do it. You usually find this mentioned in the game manual, but I’ve seen so many complete beginners step up to an arcade machine for the first time and don’t know about blocking that it probably does warrant a mention.

To block, hold the joystick back, relative to your opponent on the screen. To crouching block, hold the joystick diagonally down-back. Standing blocks will block jumping attacks and overheads, but not low attacks such as sweep kicks. Crouching blocks will block low attacks, but can’t block jumping attacks and overheads. And in either type of block, you’re vulnerable to grabs and throws.

Thank you so much for the quick answer! So the only way to move away from your opponent is to jump back, or dash back?

No, if you hold back, you’ll walk backwards unless you’re being hit, in which case you’ll block instead, but while crouch blocking, you sit still in one place regardless of what they’re doing.

Hey guys, this is my first post. I haven’t played a Street Fighter since SF II Turbo back in '95 :rofl: I saw that Street Fighter IV was coming out and I got all nostalgic and threw down a preorder.

My question was regarding how easy it would be to perform some inputs on a PS3 controller. I’d imagine PPP would be a nightmare. Is it necessary to play on a stick or will the pad do. I’ve heard people mention that the PS3s analogue buttons are good but that’s only one aspect of the controller. I really don’t want to limit myself to a few characters because I’ll need pianist dexterity to become good with whoever I want.

If anyone in Australia posts here are there any local places where I can find a stick? Importing isn’t in my best interest since our dollar tanked.

Shoryuken for life :stuck_out_tongue:

A mini-guide to developing strengths in a game you’ve never played! =O

This actually seems stupid, but there are ways you can at least be prepared for a new Street Fighter without having played it.

A) Know The Basics- I don’t really mean the basics of the game at hand, but the basics of most 2D fighters. You are generally at an advantage when you control more space than your opponent. They are forced to do things to create equal spacing or flip the advantage. This is why people like Ryu or Guile have been widely used. Ryu can keep you pinned to the corner by a slew of offensive maneuvers and baits while he stands just outside of your attack range.

Many characters can do this, in fact, it can be argued that you need to know how to effectively do this with any character you wish to be serious with.

B) Know The Move Archetypes- The properties of moves change from game to game. the Shoryuken isn’t as invincible as it once was, however, it’s still a damn good anti-air technique. Your blocks defend most attacks, your anti-airs beat or trade jump attacks, your overheads beat low-blocking opponents, your throws beat blocking opponents, your Dan taunts beat your opponents morale…okay well maybe not. Some characters best anti-airs may not even be a special, but a normal.

You’ll learn the specifics when you get the game in your hands (or by diligent video analysis), but your mind bank of what types of attacks beat what transfer to every character

C) Rely on Previous Experience- If you played Sagat well in the the past, why re-invent the wheel? What if your good character isn’t in the game? I mained Urien in 3rd Strike, but he’s not around anymore. Gootecks also had this issue, and it was suggested to him to use Balrog(Boxer). As a slight aside, the reason I used Urien was because I had a decent Balrog in CvS2. With a couple notable differences, their gameplay can approximate each other.

Try to build on what you’ve done in the past.

D) Don’t be Afraid to Throw Away Previous Experience- Don’t get saddled into your old molds. You must be ready to try new things! Experiment with the new system as tactics in one game doesn’t necessarily translate to another.

Sometimes, if you cling too heavily to your past games, you may be giving yourself a handicap.

E) Analyze The Current Game’s Tactics- Meaty LP Hadouken, LP Hadouken, FP Hadouken. This is a SF2 tactic, but it doesn’t work well in SF3. In SF3 you may try the meaty LP Fireball, but they’ll parry it. If you throw the next one, you’re potentially dead meat. If you’re watching a vid and you see yourself asking “Why didn’t player A do this? It worked in CvS2,” or “It seems like it’ll work here” Try and figure out why he didn’t do it. This is hard, and requires a lot of patience. It may be impossible to see without actually playing, but sometimes you can piece it together.

Not too long ago, someone asked here “Why don’t people just meaty L3 Focus all the time?” This was a legitimate question because the person was aware of the system and his basics enough to see why it could be effective, but it was never done. He couldn’t figure out why, but knew something was up, so he asked and the thread was pretty entertaining as a result. >_> (You can’t do it simply because of backdash, quick rising, or an ex reversal). This might have been impossible to learn without playing, although a diligent researcher could have found backdash invincibility.

Hopefully these five little tips gets the brand new player or an older vet getting ready to play 4 for the first time into the right mindset to start!

On a pad you can set buttons to PPP and KKK usually on a PS controller it is L1L2. I have PS3 version and you can definitely do that.

I’m not sure about sticks in Australia but maybe you can get the Tournament Edition Fightstick at 150 USD or the regular MadCatz Fightstick. There HAS GOT to be one you can buy.

So theres no way to stand up and block for some time without walking backwards?

Not unless you’re already cornered at the edge of the screen. If you want to continuously block without moving, do a crouch duck. Just be ready to switch to a standing block if your opponent jumps or if an overhead attack is coming.

I don’t think you’ll find the whole pressing back to block concept complicated once you get your hands on the game.

*If you have two controllers, download the demo for Super Turbo HD Remix and try out the 2d fighter basics for yourself.

Thanks for the answer Wonderpug, where can i download this said demo of super turbo hd remix? i cant findt it on either US PSN or EU PSn…?

Hey guys I’m back with another noob question. What’s a technical? Is it just a fancy word for parry? I accidentally did it last night and but have no clue what I did.

Sounds like you tried to throw at the same time as the opponent. One side starts a throw, and if the other side inputs their own throw command within a certain small window of opportunity, you get a tech hit and the throw is cancelled.

“Technical” will also pop up on a quick-rise landing. If you get knocked down, tap down or hit two buttons the instant you hit the ground, you’ll get up faster, and “Technical” will show on your side if you did it right. It won’t work after throws or certain other moves.

You’ll see that mostly referred to on the forums as a “tech” or a “tech hit”.