The SF2 Hyper Fighting Thread

I don’t know exactly what the speed should be (there has been a reasonable amount of discussion on the MAME bugs pages about the issue, which amounts to “I think the devs haven’t implemented the wait states correctly”), it certainly is remarkable that such an esteemed arcade game still hasn’t been emulated correctly. I padhacked some XBOX pads to USB for my computer, but neither Callus nor Kawaks recognises the dpad directions, so MAME is my only option.

However, it is possible to throttle the speed of the game when using MAME. Some places say you need cheats enabled to do this, but I’m not sure that’s still necessary.

In MAME, with game loaded:
Press the ‘~’ button (under ESC)
Scroll through the list using the up and down buttons (this navigation system is not obvious)
Find "CPU0"
Left and right to adjust speed, I believe around 70-75% is close to accurate.

I haven’t tried this on SF2T recently, only SSF2X, in which CPU0 is cpu speed and CPU1 is audio cpu speed, so don’t muck with CPU1 or else the sounds go mad.
Additionally, I’ve had some problems with SSF2X crashing mame after a few rounds using this method, which isn’t expected. YMMV.

Edit: Just tried it with SF2T and it worked a charm. I’m still not sure which speed percentage is closer to accurate, as I don’t have a cab handy (although I’m working on it… :D)

–flux

Sorry for late reply Crayfish, in middle of exams, but as promised, here are alot of great threads i’ve managed to dig up from the agsf2 newsgroup. Not all these threads are going be useful and the tactics and strategies are by no means perfect. People have to remember these threads are 14 years old, but if anything offer good insight into the history of the game and the Sf2 online community.

First i better start with Falcon Feather’s guides for CE, his guides seem to cover the fundamentals for each character, although the information is quite dated now, people looking to get into sf2 will find them very helpful.

Also here is the Sf2CE strategy biblealso a good resource, with tips on matchups

HF FAQ

Heres a great HF matchup Ryu vs Blanka and Ryu vs GuileThread. Warning, this is a very long read.

MMSF HF Blanka guide

HF Gief Guide

HF Balrog (boxer) guide

Discussion about Guile’s inescapable pattern against Chun

MMSF Guile guide

Vega vs Blanka Thread

Another Vega vs Blanka Thread

Zangief vs Ryu/Blanka/Honda small thread

Guile trapping patterns guide

MMSF Sagat guide

MMSF Vega(claw) Guide

Honda Ultimate Tick by S.Kill

Discussion about HF Vega

MMSF Bison guide

Interesting discussion about Throws

Standard Combos thread

Countering Honda’s HHS

S.Kill talks about how Ryu is superior to Ken in HF

Vega (when no claw) vs Shotos

A Guide on Learning to play sf2

Discussion about following up booms on blanka and shotos

Balrog vs Shotos

Balrog vs Zangief

Zangief vs Dhalsim

Big discussion about being cheap

Chun li discussion

Guile’s knee thrust tick

Blanka vs Balrog

Guile vs Sagat’s low tigers

Comparing Bison in CE and HF

Discussion about the cheapness Bison was in CE

Guile vs Gief

Combo inconsistencies

Guile can’t tick aswell in HF

Another discussion about Vega

Stylish combos

Zangief combos

More Guile vs Ryu

Ryu Tips

Rogs 50% punch

Throw ranges

Sagat Thread

Chun li tips

Sac Throwing

Vega countering HKs

Dhalsim Thread

Discussion about Guiles Best combos

Honda Thread

Balrog vs Sagat and Bison vs Guile

More Combos

Ryu Thread

Character Ranking

Shotos vs Balrog

Thats about all i can muster right now, more to come though. Enjoy

Bill Wood & RobsMac fascinating findings guys, thanks for getting those out so quickly. Intruiged by the results. It shows just how much the game must have evolved since its peak in the west, and is testimony to its depth. Its almost like the game has been copletely tipped upsidedown, far from seeming worn out, seems like were only just scratching the surface of HF. I really looking forward to the future.
Fluxcore, thanks for those findings, am very glad there is a solution with Mame as along with Winkawaks its pretty much the online standard. Pls keep us posted on anything else U find.
Wow r3ko, thought you’d dig some great stuff upbut didn’t expect that. Great work, where to start!

The future is looking really bright. Thanks again.
Crayfish.

Well, thank you for posting links to those cn1 tourney footage. Kind of funny hearing Canto during the gameplay, kinda reminds me of being in the arcades back in the day.

And I swear that I heard the word ‘wut’ (ticking) a few times during those matches. Good to know this term has survived all these years, lol.

Noob question:

What’s the deal with all these people in the AGSF2 threads talking about counterthrow like it’s the only way out of ticks? Did reversal DP not work in HF, or did they just not know about it then?

edit: Oh, it seems like some people did know about it. Still not a particularly popular strategy though?

I imagine reversal throw is way safer.

reversal dragon punch

-> connect = knockdown and mediocre damage
-> block = you’re fucked
-> missed = you’re thrown

reversal throw

-> connect = throw
-> opp outside throw range but you inside opp’s throw range = you thrown
-> opp blocks outside of throw range = blocked normal = safe

Yeah, but DP can counter tick throw attempts as well as short, short, c.RH or similar, whereas counter-throw will only counter the throw attempt, won’t it?

Just remembered that you can reversal throw people out of a hit in ST at least, so perhaps I’m wrong actually. I guess in that case reversal DP would only be useful if your opponent has a longer throw range than you, and does something like Short x 3 to tick

edit: To contradict myself again, now that I think about it, wouldn’t a perfectly-timed reversal throw always be guaranteed against something like c.Short, c.Short, c.RH, even if you couldn’t reversal throw vs. a hit (presuming you’re in throw range)? If the c.RH hits you while still in blockstun you block it anyway, otherwise they have to leave a gap which you can then use to throw. I guess if they time the c.RH so it hits on the first frame you’re out of blockstun, then it wouldn’t work…but all this is a moot point if you can reversal throw people out of a hit anyway. God fucking dammit, just ignore me, I’m so confused :lol:

If anyone thinks that Hyperfighting deservers more than a thread (like a whole site dedicated to it) let me know. I have some extra webspace i would be willing to donate to such a project.

Edit: Hyper Fighting Tournament 4-15-2006 Footage on www.michigangamers.net

We have another turny coming up at the end of this month. ;p

you can reversal c.short c.short c.roundhouse given you have throw range.

Hi.

I don’t know much about HF, but I wanted to make two notes of caution:

While T.Akiba’s site is the best site in the world for technical info (frame data, breakdown of game system, etc), you shouldn’t take his HF rankings as the word of God. I dunno if that page is simply how he feels the rankings go, or if the page is just outdated or what, but his ST rankings are not accurate, so it would not surprise me if the HF rankings are inaccurate as well.

Also, alt.games.sf2 contained a lot of good info, but it also contained a lot of bad info, so don’t believe everything you read there.

You can throw people out of a LOT of shit in HF, eating a hit to get a throw is often a good choice.

The throw is fairly safe compared to a DP which does less damage, and leaves you completely fucked should you hit air.

Golden thread

Those vids were great Obot, I am really surprised. Getting compeition going in the west and getting vids of it up was the next big step as far as I saw it, your already way ahead of us, great work :tup:
You even have one of those origonal HF cabinets I’d seen on the net with the character art around the screen. Fantastic to see HF Chun and Rog doing thier thing, and Ken with Tripples, man thats what HF is all about :china:

Im deffo up for cotributing some stuff toward a site after seeig that stuff. Am busy for next week or so, but after that… Can’t wait to see the next torney. Pls keep us posted.

Thnks NKI sorting the good stuf out will be one of the main undertakings for us deffo.

More Guang Zhou soon. *returns to Obot vids…
Crayfish.

Crayfish, or NKI. Maybe you guys can answer this. I have SF2 HF for Jamma. Cmutt and I were playing last week and we both agreed that this game is alot slower than ST on US Speed 3.

How fast is this game supposed to be? I always hear people talk about how fast SF2 HF is and I just don’t see it.

Is there a dipswitch setting I am missing or something?

I saw a post on AGSF2 saying that different HF cabs run at noticeably different speeds.

I wonder why that is?

edit~
Crayfish:
Be sure to check out the 15 match gauntlet where I go up against Hollow (who has been playing HF since it came out) in a new school vs old school battle).

I know it’s the same for CvS2 too (even at the same speed setting). Different production runs of the boards or something, perhaps?

I think I have a HF board at home (not sure), but if I do, I’ll pop it in to test.

All I remember is when I first played arcade HF (which was after I started playing ST), I just could not believe how fast the game was.

i occasionally play crayfish on kaillera and i gotta say the speed is mental fast on that. As Crayfish said it runs too fast, and we were testing out to see if its possible to play at the correct speed online by altering the cpu speed from 12 to 7.5. Crayfish thinks its works but i remain skeptical ( I think lag threw the timing off). Wondering if anyone else has tried to getting HF working at the correct speed online?

r3ko: HF on mame runs differently than HF on callus I tested that the other day…but I thought it was because of the different programming of each emu… perhaps I have different romsets too…