The Sega Naomi Thread

“Does not ship to the UK”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

Thank you.

I was thinking of using Undamned’s boards, but I already have DB15 connectors on my Joysticks, so I stuck with those. My TV has a VGA connection so I’m not going to bother with Component, if I do, I could always pick up a VGA to Component Video Transcoder. The S-Video was just an after thought, I had the parts and they cost me like $10 so in it went. I’ll get some pics of the internals after I get some sleep. I worked the night shift and then came home and worked on this way too long.

Going to throw this up here to see if I am missing something obvious…

1. Wired up a Female USB to JST 4 Pin Header to hook up the CN12 pins on the Naomi. This is to allow me to power my RPi directly from the NAOMI instead of a separate brick.
  2. Plugged everything and turned it on… RPi doesn’t do anything.
  3. I pull the JST from the NAOMI (after its off) and check voltages… 4.92V
  4. Using the CAPCOM I/O, Input 5V is 5.0 on the PowerSupply from the SuperGun
  5. Hooked a slashed open USB cable up to the JST-USB connector - Reads 4.92V
  6. Hooked the RPi upto my TV using my Amplifier (it has HDMI and a 2.1A USB port) and it boots up fine.
  7. Naomi works fine as well

Is the Pi that sensitive to 5V? Does the CN12 header not put out enough current for the Pi?

Looking for opinions. I have the big 8PIN header blocks and pins so I can build a passthrough to get the power direct from the I/O (or power supply when I install this in the cabinet).

EDIT. Its probably the I/O lacking enough power. Ill try with my Naomi PS today and see if that returns anything different. I measured the current at the header and its only .25A, not enough for the Pi

The capcom IO barely powers the Naomi with a normal cart, and I wouldn’t expect it to send enough juice to power a netdimm AND the Rasbperry Pi. If its any consolation, I was able to charge my cellphone with the cable I made when attached to the 5v header and powers by my blast city’s PSU.

I had just plugged it in without the netdimm because I knew the IO was a bit weak for power. Even without a cart it didn’t have enough juice… My iPhone laughed when I plugged it in.

I’m breaking from builds today to clean my Naomi PS and I’ll try that to see if there is a difference. Fingers crossed!

I’ll post a picture of my Jst to USB dongle today :slight_smile:

Couldn’t you bypass the I/O board and get the Namoi and Raspberry power straight from the PSU?

Made this a few weeks back for a member of the neo geo boards.

And yes, you could DarkSakul, but that would require a passthrough made with the big JST connectors. The headers on the filterboard were designed to power the analog I/O so may as well use them.

I have my RPi connected to my Naomi via the CN4 header as well:

The Naomi motherboard is connected to a separate ATX PSU instead of the Capcom I/O due to the NetDIMM. :slight_smile:

Can someone please tell me the wattage for the PSU and if I can just go and grab one for pc?

The other day I saw an auction for an genuine Sega PSU but it ends above $150 + shipping and that’s ridiculous price for a used item.

Oh and btw, those are the cleanest NAOMI boards I’ve ever seen @69Mustang and @FreedomGundam‌ they look like brand new, congrats on your setups!

I think the typical wattage is about 300 watts, but don’t worry of going over. Wattage on a PSU represents how much total power a PSU can deliver, not the voltage or amperage of a PSU.
a 450 watt PSU will not kill your Naomi, its having the voltage lines not set to the proper voltages would.

Its why many Naomi owners forgo the Arcade power supply and go for a ATX (PC) power supply.

I have a 500 W ATX PSU connected with a custom adapter I made for the JVS connectors… It BARELY powers it with a legit cart. It will not power it with the netdimm. I’m thinking the amperage is too low. Sun PSUs are greater because they have 5v and 3.3v pots AND have the needed JST connectors. They’re also somewhat inexpensive… I’ve found them for $35. The three pin connector on the end of it will plug into CN13 on the Blast City’s I/O board, so no need for a separate connector AND it will be turned on the same time the blast is :smiley:

Today was a valuable lesson in understanding your tools. My new DMM was setup for resistance checks (because I was building SuperGuns) which “worked” with checking voltage… but it was all opposite. +12V read -12V, etc. When I checked the CN12 header it read -5V one way and 5V the other way (indicitive of the leads being connected in correctly). I ended up wiring my JST for -5V not 5V. Lesson learned… ALWAYS CHECK YOUR MM with a KNOWN SOURCE. It’s Nuclear Power 101 that I was taught 12 years ago during my Prototype Training phase. I. FEEL. DUMB.

Learn from me… please.

BTW, RPi powered up fine.

Very nice! Glad it was sorted!

BTW, a nice known source for DC is a simple battery. its labeled with a + and a - so you can’t screw it up :smiley:

Thanks LV… I am too. This has paybacks are hell written all over it, because its the first thing I would verify as the Weps with all the guys on the boat when they came to do maintenance. It usually went like this:

Weps: "Ok, so what do you want to do today?"
Random ET/ST/FT: "I need to check the battery voltages on XXX equipment to make sure they are in spec"
Weps: "Ok, we can do that. Where’s your multimeter? Is it in cal? Did you do the daily checks on it?"
Them: "Ummmmm… what daily checks?"
Weps: "The source checks, the visual inspection, etc."
Them: "…"
Weps: “Go get your chief so I can train him on getting maintenance done and then he can explain how he trains you guys on properly using and checking their gear!”

This is the higher powers laughing at me and paying me back… I know it.

Thanks for your replies!

Now, are there some special conditions/features the PSU needs in order to be used it with the NAOMI or can I just go to tiger direct and buy one?

I’m thinking to grab one in the range of 550w - 650w for what Lemony says about the NetDIMM.

Its not wattage, I have a 115 w powering one. Its amperage. What I was trying to say is get a sun PSU. don’t bother with an ATX. You’ll be glad you did.

Ok, I will check for one.

Thank again Lemony!

Any models you have had experience with? I have one that just came out of my Sega Cabinet (it was in terrible, terrible shape) that works great but for those who need to buy something off of the shelf, a model number would be helpful.

Here’s a couple random PS I found by goolging “Sun PSU 3.3V, 5V, 12V” (I don’t endorse any of these folks, its just want I found):

http://www.powersupplydepot.com/3-3V,5V,12V,-130W-1U-Delta-DPS-129AB-Server-Supply/17602-PS/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUN-POWER-SUPPLY-200-Watt-AC-Input-Power-Supply-MITAC-MPU-200REF-/171350970872?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

These are for SUN Servers. As in Sun microsystems. Most sun PSUs for arcade gaming will have been pulled from Naomi games. There’s nothing on eBay so best bet are forums.

The one I saw the other day was from ebay.uk and I believe the arcade restoration and culture is more important in Europe than the US… the reason I say this is because I have lurking for more information, there’s a ton of forums with a lot of information on arcades and I saw a couple ones from Spain and man! they surely know about a lot of arcades hardware and so, since my first language is spanish, I contacted a few members from those forums to see if they are willing to sell some parts, but sadly the prices are a little bit expensive, add the high cost shipping and you ended with a deal breaker.

And I was thinking the same as Jasen, just look around in online stores and hope to find something that meets the requirements Lemony said but now I will go back and start looking again into forums.

@Jasen - Maybe some of your contacts from Japan (I bet you have a bunch of them!) could help with some parts or alternative hardware, don’t you think so?

EDIT

Akihabarashop has one PSU kit listed for NAOMI - For Naomi. Power supply, harness and voice amplifier. INPUT: 100VAC/3.0A ; 50/60Hz. OUTPUT: +5V/10A; +3.3V/12A; +12V/2A.

Does this one has enough power for a kit with the NetDIMM?

It says is manufactured by Sanwa.