The Ryu Matchup Thread - Good Ol' Fundamentals

I am having issues against laura :frowning: hate that bitch

Ok for real though, anybody got advice against bison? Defensive bison just wrecks. I cannot figure out a proper way to approach, and Iā€™m facing hordes of downback bisons. His j.hp and st. mk destroy my soul.

You have to be SUPER aggressive against him. USE every mixup especially cross ups since heā€™s charge. Heā€™s very weak in the corner but if he gets you in there you are pretty much dead.

But the matchup is near impossible against a legit bison.

does anyone have any idea on the fang match up ? Iā€™m clueless

I just conceded and assumed Bison is overpowered. Ryu canā€™t do anything to him tbh. Yoou have to be SO much better to win. Bison dash is the most stupid thing ever made, you canā€™t even spect to zone him with that v-skill and dash.

The character is just bullshit

Nuh? I was reading my frame data wrong. Apologies!

Still, most characters are + on a few of their medium normals and R Mika is not, which I think is a weakness worth exploiting!

I have some joy using standing lk as a poke vs bison. Use it mainly to catch them coming out of the forward dash and to neutralise pressure after non ex scissor kicks. If you get used to buffering you can link ex.hado after st.lk but due to the pushback on scissor kick its usually safe to do a non ex hado on block to push them even further back. I think it works because Bisons will usually want to push medium buttons from that range, but the st.lk comes out quicker.

St.lk is 4f i think and has better range than his cr.lp and st.lp.

But yeah generally the match up sucks for Ryu at the mo, if we all keep searching for tech im sure weā€™ll make it easier :s

On a separate note, anybody got any Cammy tips? Getting absolutely wrecked by any and all Cammy players at the mo

Well i wilhe st. lk for sure, its a good idea.

Vs Cammy you should press a lot of st. jabs, it antiairs every stupid thing she has

I recently decided that I want to systematically go through all characters and establish Ryuā€™s punishes for their unsafe moves. At the moment Iā€™m just putting it into a notepad document for my own use, but I figured while Iā€™m doing it I could put it up here for folks to see. Itā€™s looking to be rather large though. Would people rather I put that in here, or create a thread specifically for it and maintain this as a place people can ask specific questions?

Iā€™m just about to finish up Birdie and heā€™s the first one (decided to go alphabetically) so itā€™s not something thatā€™s gonna be done overnight, but I do intend to see it through before too long.

Not game changing info, but you can deter him from reflecting your fireball back at you. If you throw a jab fireball at close to full screen and he reflects it back at you, you can forward jump tatsu to punish him. This might be a trick that you want to keep in your bag until you really need it though. It seems like most Bisonā€™s arenā€™t aware of it because theyā€™ll keep reflecting until I show them I can punish them for it.

Outside of that Iā€™m kind of lost about this match up to. I try to stay in close and throw fireballs at that range because itā€™s hard for him to react to it. But he can easily crush counter Ryu from that range because his st. HP has so much range. His anti air is weak so itā€™s probably OK to be a little jumpy in this match up. Gotta do what we gotta do even if it may be looked down upon lol.

Had success against a Karin player by playing just inside her footisr range. Ie St.Mk/Cr.Mk.
It turns into a guessing game. Do I jump and eat a AA or block and lose health. At that range itā€™s really hard to react with her QCB+K. In regards to Bison, I think, maybe, the same thing applies here. Except we need to stay just slightly out of his DF+HP. And if they want to wait for a Hadoken to come out and stay full screen, use LP SRK to build Meter whilst they look for a Hadoken.

Bison antiair is bad, so you can jump a bit more than you should. Anyways, the rhing that is making Bison absolutely overpowered and tier 1 is his forward dash and his V-trigger. That plus his stupid normals make him imposible to defeat

Youā€™re wrong entirely.

No Iā€™m not. You should go and count the most played character in the top 100, then come to say me Bison is not top tier. His defense in this game is a bit bad, but his normals are SO fucking good that they make up for that. Even if Ken has te fastest dash in the game, Biosnā€™s dash has fucking invencibilty frames, cā€™mon.

EDIT: Some failures in my grammar

He has one of the slowest dashes in the game. He has the slowest walk speed so canā€™t really play traditional back and forth footsies.

I got to ultra silver purely as Bison. I know him well.

He has no overhead, no big damage from lows and a slow dash. He can get lucky with his teleport dash but usually he will eat the normal you stick out. Heā€™s so good ATM as people arenā€™t good at blocking.

Just block all his pressure. He has mean frame traps and crush counter set ups.

His devil reverse is a parry and a biggg combo. His stomp follow up is a late DP. Neutral jump beats random scissors. Mid range fireballs he canā€™t reflect as the move is 5 frame start up. Anti air everything and apply mid range pressure. If he gets in try and v reversal and create room again.

Heā€™s totally beatable.

@kungfoo I am exactly in the same situation, came from super silver Bison and decided to become a crappy Ryu instead. I am curious, why did you decide to switch?

High five!

Itā€™s because heā€™s got limitations. I didnā€™t leave him behind because itā€™s not as easy to win with him, but rather because heā€™s not fun. Without overheads and a high low mix up, his game revolves around getting in your face and frame trapping/ fishing for counters. But if you sit there and block, he has a really hard time opening you up.

People press buttons all day and jump in etc so it was easy to get wins but I had some really really dull matches with good players. Iā€™d go in and they would just block all my pressure and tech my throws too (slow dash and no walk speed). Then they would go in and Iā€™d block all their stuff. If was back and forth and just kinda boring.

As people get more and more familiar with Bison, he will drop out of the top 5. Thats what is being said in the Bison forum.

Ryu is more fun. I am way worse than I was as Bison but Iā€™m OK with that for now.

They say that about Bison in forums couse the donā€™t want him to be nerfed. I also want Ryu normals to be buffed, but that wonā€™t happen for sure.

Heā€™s too good. You canā€™t stuff his dash, thatā€™s the freakin problem. Go to training and activate V-trigger, and watch how you can just dash through normals and punish them

Calm down.

He has 8F strike/projectile recovery and 12F throwable recovery for his regular dash; 4F strike/projectile recovery and 9F throwable recovery in V-Trigger. Yes, Dictator can travel through normalsā€“thatā€™s what teleports doā€“so I would suggest making some space and punishing the recovery as a counter-strategy.

Trust me, blind dashing even in V trigger gets you hit when you reappear. I reckon tatsu will blow it up/escape.

Dashing excessively during V trigger for Bison is just a shenanigan, its very unsafe. If you get scared and just block, then prepare to be surprised and thrown. If you keep your wits about you and stick out quick normals, you will be fine.