The Ryu Matchup Thread - Good Ol' Fundamentals

St jab st short xx dp works well. If she goes for the follow up sweep it grants a ch for a better combo. Still the safest bet is to just reversal mp dp imo.

Any tips vs Nash?
The only useful thing I have found is that parrying his Jaguar kick on reaction allows you to full combo punish

I also need help with that MU. Seems like he has the advantage even without super.

Cammy’s rushdown shuts me down no matter what I do. Not as bad as when i play nash, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPYZBlTErA

Spacing vs Nash. He’s very anti fireball from any distance.

Be careful when you decide to throw fireballs. A lot of Nash players like to walk backwards so try to move forward and get them in the corner. Need to be patient and DP jumps and his moonsault. He has no invincible reversal without super as far as I know so feel free to go nuts when you get the knockdown.
Im struggling with the match myself so any other input would be appreciated.

I actually think Ryu has the advantage in this matchup. Karin has a very poor anti-air game and Ryu can bully his way into st.MK range, then apply pressure with j.MK and j.LK. If Ryu wants to play defensively, he can parry the Ressenha a lot of Karin players are using as an approach, and go into full punish. In footsies range, Karin has the edge, but Ryu is still able to fight with st.MK and cr.MP relatively effectively. The main difference here is just that you’re able to apply an enormous amount of damage with your punishes, so the onus is on Karin to get in on you but remain safe. The only serious threat is Karin’s throw game, of course.

With Nash, I’ve found that most people only do the moonsault when they’re covered by a Sonic Boom. Otherwise, you’d just DP it like any other jump-in attack. Of course, you could parry it and get a bigger punish, but I find that relatively difficult, as you need to gauge the strength of the moonsault and adapt the timing accordingly.

One useful thing to remember is that you can punish Knee bazooka with st.LP xx HP Shoryuken very easily. Neutral jumping the step kick and going into Jodan Sanrengeki will also make them think twice about doing that at footsie range.

The thing I’ve found about Nash players (and granted, this is early days so there aren’t any really good Nashes out there) is that their pressure game is highly dependent on dashes. After cr.MP, they have to walk forward a considerable amount to actually threaten the throw. So as long as you’re on point with st.LP and watch their movement, they shouldn’t really be able to pressure you very much.

I don’t really understand the fuss about this move. Why don’t people just neutral jump it on reaction? Just go into training room and program Birdie to dance around for a few seconds, then do the EX Dolphin Dive. After a few reps you’ll see how easy it is to neutral jump. Then you get full 300+ damage punish meterless.

Unless the Karin player is committed to another action already the good one will still AA you Ryu can win on the ground

Any advices against Bison? It looks like every Ryu normal loses to every Bision normal, so it’s kinda difficult to play footsies in this matchup. Also his stupid throw range is giving me some problems

Neutral jump into full punish. The recovery is huge on that and even if you jump late you usually land in time to full combo punish his ass.
That is if you mean that jumping grab he uses to go over fireballs or catch you being hesitant.

Don’t throw dumb fireballs, pump fake fireballs a lot and be ready to hit st.HP or neutral jump if he goes for that shit.

That move is hard to react to at first but once you figure out when to watch out for it (after you’ve thrown a fireball or he puts you into a blockstring) it’s really easy to react to.

against bison, i’ve been having a super hard time too.

1. as soon as you see him leave for stomp/devil’s reverse, EX or not, you can dp on reaction with strong. it will either hit his stomp or the devil’s reverse at the tip. you can try to parry it too if you want but unsure of punishes yet.

2. ryu’s s.jab will combo to s.strong on CH. i’ve caught some bison dash’s with this combo but i don’t know if it’s guarenteed or not. haven’t tested it, but if it is, it’s guarenteed combos from his dash attempts!

3. you should be able to crosscut the bison knee crossup but it’s realllly hard. i can’t do it :(:frowning: but if you can, it’ll stop another one of his avenues to get in.

once you build some immunity to the above, you can play footsies and try to get some pressure in with crossups/throws. bison doesn’t have good crossup anti-air or wakeup invincibility so a good knockdown should net you some damage

any advice against mika? she just destroys me i have no idea what to do.

Parry that charged St.Hk into full damage. AA EVERYTHING. Zone with LP Hadoken. Check her frame data too.

This.

Also, notice that R Mika’s lights and mediums are ALL frame negative. She pushes a button near you and you block, you push a button right back.

The cr.HP restand mixup is very unsafe, and apparently -3 on hit according to the latest frame data, although I’ve tried punishing this with LP DP and haven’t been able to. Confirmation would be useful!

Ye against Mika parry is really good, she has a hard time getting in if you don’t let her use her charged HK as a tool.

Bison is still hard, and the Devils reverse is not an easy thing to parry sadly. If you parry it you can punish i belive, i did it and got a srk punish, dunno if you can get more. I don’t have problems with antiairs, i’m good at that (got some damn points :slight_smile: ) but in footsies he just outranges me with everything :S . Maybe i should try to play from futher away, but you can’t throw fireballs at him anyways so… Hard match up for me it seems.

Having a shit time against Bison. Mid-range he can outpoke you. A well spaced SK pushes you further into the corner and frame traps, and full screen he can just absorb fireballs. What do :confused:

I don’t think i’ve won vs a Karin of any skill level on this game yet. But she seems to be far and away the best character on the game so just need time to learn what my options are against her. :expressionless:

I keep getting thrown by sim while trying to meaty him with st.mp. Am I doing something wrong here?

Mika’s st. LP and cr. LP are both +2 on block