The Rufus Match-up Thread

uh i can help you a bit with this bro…

First of all, this is pretty much obvious but: If u corner chun-li, its game over for her, you MUST aim for this during this fight or it will be a lot harder.

the way chun keeps u out is very similar to how guile does, luckly for us, chun doesnt have the flashkick so once you get next to her is pretty much GG. so, round starts, she might now throw a fireball cuz rufus can easily jump over and punish, so she’s gonna either 1-. backdash: take advantage of this and dash once, you are now closer and she’s closer to the corner. 2-. stick out a normal…most likely standing HK: just block…yeah. You have 2 basic goals here: 1-. Knock her down, kinda hard without meter, but doable and 2-. make her block a tornado, now you are right next to her and she needs to go back or she risks being pressures to death, now, be careful here, tornado is -1 on block, she cant punish it, but if she does cr.lk or std.lp it will beat any normal you stick out, so here just watch what she does and react.

most chuns throw kikoken and react to what you do, some others follow it by walking, if she is too close to the kikoken, block and block, or try to get EX messiah between her strings. This fight is a lot more about blocking a lot, eating chip from kikokens, and wait, you DONT need meter to beat her imo, you need just 1 knockdown and u can start going crazy. also, chun has an option select vs rufus: DF + LP LK during pressure, if rufus throws, she techs, if rufus divekicks she df + lks you. this option select is quite dirty, but it loses to a simple close HP XX HP tornado, so first watch if she’s using the OS and punish that shit accordingly.

oh and EX messiah between far mp xx kikoken

Any inputs on Gief? I Play a good keep away game but… any idea on wtf to do to him when hes next to you >.>?

I really like to use SMK against Gief its a great poke and has better recovery than CHP.

Thanks for the extra inputs Dive, are you still in Bris? Btw, I was actually asking if anyone feels the same way as me when fighting chun li. In the first page, it seems that the general consensus agrees to:

“Also, until you have at least 1 stock of meter, your goal should be to run away until you do. A good Chun should be rushing you the eff down out of the gate, but then can’t really do that any more once Messiah is a threat. The good news is most Chuns don’t know this and basically make life easy for you.”

I didnt agree it with fully, so I gave my input.

points that are bugging me:

1. until you have at least 1 stock of meter, your goal should be to run away until you do
  2. A good Chun should be rushing you the eff down out of the gate
  3. but then can’t really do that any more once Messiah is a threat

I have provided my feedback on these 3 points above, and was seeing if anyone was on the same train of thought as me.

hey, uh not really, but i plan to go back to aus…maybe to sydney or melbourne.

btw, regarding your points:

1-. not really, you can always outsmart the chun player and get in without meter, you just need to be patient and find openings…this way you can get life adv and now chun has to come to you

2-. this is quite true, but most of them zone

3-. not really again… the last hit of ex messiah whiffs on crouch chun if she’s on point blank, which most of them now and punish. I know this cuz i used to play chun for some time and if I have ultra or meter to punish hard, Id definitely pressure rufus baiting to use EX messiah so I get free damage + knockdown + safe jump, and rufus cant do anything about that

EDIT: this thread should be a Sticky

EDIT 2: oh yeah, rufus has an option select vs meterless chun. its very simple, after HP tornado walk a tiny bit, then j.HP os U1. catches backdash. I guess you can do it after forward throw as well. I tried to OS vs EX SBK, but for some weird reason, she keeps hitting me even though when I dont OS it I can block the EX SBK on time…weird stuff…maybe some of you can help me a bit with this

Looking for some more advice torwards the charge characters… There REALLY giving me hell.

which ones specifically?

My biggest problems are the Boxer and Guile… And i just need a few more tips on The dictator, A turtling dictator, not a rushing down one.

uhmm…ok, lets see.

vs Boxer:

sigh, I dont like this fight, not because I cant win but because its so boring. Basically you cant RTSD him asap, you need to correctly space yourself while finding openings, the most important thing in this fight is to get an early life lead, then your life becomes easier because boxer now has to come to you. But lets take a look at the first part, dealing the dmg. Boxer has his safe rushpunches to chip you or hit you for doing something dumb, so pay attention to what he does. std.MP beats TAP clean, vs some rush punches is kinda hard to time, so Id reccomend to stand outside headbutt range and do neutral jumps, if boxer did a rush punch you tag him with a j.HK into HP xx HP tornado…good stuff, now, boxer might not do the random rush punch (cuz is kinda scrubby too…) and instead just walk a bit, now this is good and bad, good because now he’s closer to you, bad because his normals > your normals, so you need to be smart and dont get in a poke fight with him, what you’re looking for here is a knockdown in any shape (throw, air reset, TC, tornado, etc) so you need to take small risks such as tornado him (dont do it always, he can neutral jump into free combo). now, here if you happen to block a dash punch, good, you’re now even closer, now, boxer might want to do the following things: cr.lp (yeah…why not), jump back fierce (solid option, take advantage of this and dash in when you see the fierce whiff), headbutt (unlikely but you never know) or just block. now, here wait, dont divekick right away, it loses to many things, instead, go for standing jab or cr.jab, tick throw him or frame trap him, if those dont work, you can be gutsy and dive in.

Sigh…thats the boring part, ok, lets move to the next topic. at this point, you and boxer should have at least 1 EX meter…good, you have EX messiah now, he needs to be careful. He can EX rush…but you can throw these on reaction, so no big deal…well if you cant do that yet, you can go for the neutral jump strategy, but if its an EX boxer will end up on the other side…so use neutral jump HP (hits on both sides) for a nice bnb into knockdown. ok, when you get the knockdown, things can get tricky, boxer has 3 ways of escaping divekicks on wakeup:

Ex rush: it will absorb divekick and get away…WRONG, after you can do cr.HK as soon as you see him EX rush and it will tag him at the end earning you yet another knockdown

Headbutt: sigh, most boxer dont understand that a perfect placed divekick will never get hit by this, sometimes I option select the divekick to a sweep, so I get a free knockdown again but it works mostly vs LP headbutt which is the fastest but doesnt advance that much.

TAP: havent seen many boxers do this VS divekicks but, hey, you never know. OS the divekick to a sweep.

so bottom line for now, work hard on the first part, if you can get a decent life lead + EX meter the round is almost yours. VS his footsies…well, is hard to deal with that, so try to EX messiah through his blockstrings or just block block and block.

PD: oh yeah, use U1: free ultra after anywhere in the screen HP tornado.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here, I’ll do my best to help.

I’ll write Guile as soon as I get home

EDIT: oh yeah, I need a bit of help vs Rose…so if anyone can help me with this, it will be much appreciated.

How would I go about doing the option select with the sweep >.>?

uh just divekick and input a cr.HK where you would land in case the divekick whiffs. basically you jump, divekick and then cr.HK before landing. If the divekick hits, gets blocked or FAed (by focus or EX rushes) the sweep wont come out, but if the opp does headbutt or TAP the sweep comes out

Thats a very nifty trick, and i can do that with anything or?

yeah, you can do that with basically any jump in.

VS dhalsim I do short divekicks/or any safe jump, and I Option select U2 everytime, so I he teleports he gets sucked in by BBT. or VS sim you can just be dirty and crouch a lot at midrange, he wont resist using Jump back HP which you can punish on hit or block with BBT

I usually just rush the shit out of Sim, I late DK his Knee an poof im in on him, then he usually… loses.

so…no help with Rose?

Here are a couple of Rufus-Bison matches:

I have inserted comments (found in the description) at various situations. Hopefully that would help u.

good stuff there Derrace, personally I like to use close fierce after blocked headstomps but it tends to lose vs the EX followup =/

EDIT: VS Dudley, Forward throw, dash x2 jump and divekick just before you reach the peak of your jump and dudley cant do anything, he HAS to block, everything whiffs or gets stuffed.

EDIT2: ACTUALLY, I just discovered that, the only thing that whiffs is the EX jet upper (well the super and both ultras too…), everything else gets stuffed, so, what you can do if you really wanna own dudley, is do the same setup above, but hold UP FORWARD until you see the divekick hit or get blocked. If he did EX upper the upper will whiff and you will jump towards him which you can tag him with a: j.HK (1) j.HK (2) into Ultra 1 for big damage and a free mindfuck. Now thats a punish!!

wouldnt cross counter beat that setup?

no, because cross counter has no invincibility and it comes out in 3 frames, the divekick hits him in the first frame possible and it beats all cross counters

Thats a good idea… ill add it to the dudley match-up