The Rufus Match-up Thread

i dont think you beat it air to air. sorry i didnt elaborate but i pretty much mean to just always change up the timing of your dive kicks…example being like neutral jump dive kick, dive kicking at diff angles etc

Yea I understand. It’ll keep Guile guessing as to when you’ll DK in.

Chun: While it’s known a perfectly timed dive kick will beat EX SBK, it may not be as well known that if Chun blocks a dive kick, even perfectly timed and spaced, she can EX SBK between it and your next move. So if you play someone good enough to know and do this, keep it in mind and be ready to dive and block. I had this done repeatedly to me by a top Chun, but I thought I was screwing up the timing so I didn’t adapt correctly and bait it. Afterwards he told me, “thought you’d catch on sooner” lol

Also, until you have at least 1 stock of meter, your goal should be to run away until you do. A good Chun should be rushing you the eff down out of the gate, but then can’t really do that any more once Messiah is a threat. The good news is most Chuns don’t know this and basically make life easy for you. Thanks!

yeah a lot of people dont take advantage of rushing rufus down when he has no meter, oh well more power to us

Yea, Most people turtle and I get free meter, I also try to get in slowly but I poke like a motherfucker.

Im gonna be looking through the other threads and post what NOT to do against that paticular character.

I don’t fully agree with the bit waiting for 1 stock. Why invite the Chun player to attack you when you can hold your ground? Her floaty jump can be easily AA-ed. If you land an AA, you are usually close enough (less far s.hp) to dive kick. She wouldnt have ex stock to try to ex sbk, so dive spam her / poke / throw her til she has a stock, then bait the ex sbk. Apart from delaying dive kick (as mentioned) to beat ex sbk. a neutral j.mk beats it as well.

When dive spamming, watch for her s.hk, jb hp, they can hit you out of your second dive… luckily both of these normals can be beaten with s.lp / lk. so vary your attacks.

FA her fireballs when you know she isn’t near enough to walk forward and s.mp/hp. recover grey health and repeat. If your opponent loves to poke after seeing you Fa her fireball, at a certain distance, you can deliberately FA the fireball but hold on for level 2/3 then release it just as she tries to poke. Free crumble. Use sparingly though, if she can walk forward and jump instead of poking… if you have released ur attack in an attempt to beat the poke, you are open to a free combo.

When you FA her fireballs, notice if she has a pattern, such as doing 2 fireballs… if so you can bait by doing the following…
fa backdash the first time, recover/jump over 2nd fireball. The next time fa but dash forward, depending on your distance, you can dive kick (delay to beat her normal AAs), or j.hp over her 2nd fireball for a free combo.

You can react and fa lvl 1/2 her hazanshu, release (hit her) and backdash. watch for patterns, i.e s.mp hazanshu.

c.mk and c.hk beats her s.mp/hp, but generally you want to destroy her footsies with divekicks.

watch your c.hp, at certain distance, she can fa dash forward and punish you.

her df lk AA is pretty annoying, but can be beaten with delayed dk or a crossover dk.

I played a LOT of Chun before switching over to more Rufus, and all I can say is 2 of the best Chuns in the country told me, regarding the rufus match, to rush him the eff down if he has no meter. Take that as you will <shrug> I guess that doesnt mean we have to run, but if the Chuns knwo what they’re doing, we should at least know what to expect and why

I’m heading to Columbus bar battles this weekend and it features Justin Wong. I’ve learned every match up in this game but rufus vs rufus, what would you guys reccommend? I’m more of a ultra 1 kinda guy and I feel like I would use this in the match up but any and all tips/help would be much appreciated.

I’ve watched him vs. Merkilo a number of times too, it looks like I need to pressure him before he gets one stock, make sure I do a number of cross up j mk’s so I don’t get ex snake striked, and I need to block to the best of my ability without relying on crouch teching too much. So yeah… that’s all I got right now.

Rufus is a cheater.

Whiffing dive kick into ultra is for cheaters! How come you stopped when you got to third? Rufus is meant to win tournaments dammit!

I never fought abel before with rufus and Arts too cheap man I got mindfucked… I’m tight! I’m stepping my rufus shit up right now!

M. Bison is one of Rufus’ tougher matchups, although most Bisons don’t really abuse the strongest advantages they have. I would quote some Sun-Tzu shit but instead I’ll just say that since the only invincible reversal Bison has that isn’t trivially easy to safe jump is lk super, Rufus players should abuse it. I wasn’t getting the mileage I wanted out of my safe jumps though, so I went into the lab to figure out how to force Bison to eat mixups, or pay as dearly as possible for getting out.
After a safe jump, reversal
EX PC: punishable by low fierce; it’s a 3 frame punish at best, so take note of when Rufus turns around after blockstun for the timing
EX Scissor kick: it’s invincible but pretty stupid to use on wakeup, this is a free fierce xx fierce gt or close mp, close mp xx ex gt for 40 more damage if you like that one. if you ever see this, it’s probably FADC’d backwards for safety
EX Headstomp/Devil’s Reverse: these look identical on startup. if you see it him go airborne, hold forward. if it’s a headstomp, he’ll whiff it behind you, which can be optimally punished by divekick, close mp, close mp xx ex gt for a cool 305/1000 health. Punish dat shit! If it’s a Devil’s Reverse, holding forward will probably bait the Dic to pressing punch and trying to hit you. Jump forward strong will beat it cleanly (beast hitbox, underutilized move), or you can EX SS as soon as he comes into your airspace.
Teleport: step forward cr rh punish for best damage and one of the easiest safejump setups you can ask for afterwards. cr fierce is easier, but 10 less damage and doesn’t knock down.

I still agree with him, If someone is suppose to Rush Rufus down, then it means he can as well… Bring the fight to me I say, Makes it easier <3.

Im saying this because characters like: Akuma, Dictator, Chun, Abel, ect ect. Pretty much, 90% of the cast would need to rush us down to fight, but they get scared when we have meter, Its more or so of who gets on top of who first in the fight. You poke till the DK can come in handy to get right next to them, you predict them and laugh at there attempts of predicting you.

I need some serious Help with the Boxer match-up… I dont know wtf to do at all. Hes one of the worse match-up’s Ive ever played. I just lose instantly to him. Im free to balrog

Another thing Id like to try is of what NOT to do against characters, When I have time (ive been extremely busy this week.) Im going to run through the other threads and steal there info on rufus so that we know what NOT to do against that character.

With rose I prefer to cancel her second ultra with a well timed dive kick cross up on wake up (which is usually when they toss it out IMO to try and catch my dive kitck.) If you get the arc right it cancels it everytime at least for me. Here is a video it will be in the third round.

[media=youtube]DxSPeC55_nU[/media]

You can do that or sit over them and wait for the ultra, during the ultra you mash Messiah. All you need is a good invincible Reversal, and most rose’s always try to do something on wakeup after it >.>

lol why would you watch him vs me i didn’t do anything in that match

That’s insanely risky though, if they block you eat 300+ damage.

hmm, any input’s on my chun li assessment, or everyone agrees they should just turtle til you get 1 ex stock? -.-