The Rufus Match-up Thread

This may end up to be of limited usefulness, but after a forward throw on Zangief, if you forward dash, cr. mp and jump forward, then execute an early j. hk, it “safe jumps” reversal lariats. I say it in quotes because it loses to delayed lariats and reversal ex greenhand. This works because Zangief’s first hittable frame of lariat has a huge hittable box on the top of his head, far above the hitbox of lariat. Hitting j. hk just a bit after you drop from the peak of your jump arc hits this, resulting in a 2-hit j. hk that can be hitconfirmed into raw u1 or u2 (though I don’t really think u2 is that useful in this matchup). If he backdashes it hits him out of the air with 1 hit of the j. hk, so you can combo into sweep, lk messiah + lk followup, EX SS for almost full juggle, U1, OR U2 since it only hits once. I’ll try to post pictures of the pertinent hitboxes when I get home.

VERY USEFUL INFO VS ZANGIEF Jesus man, Im going to master this, this makes the match-up easier! Most Giefs just think to Lariet and itll beat it out!

Is this hard to do/learn or no?

Not really, it’s just an issue of aiming your j. hk at the top of the big hittable box on Gief’s head. Here are pictures:
J. HK
Lariat’s first active frame

Even though Scarlet Terror starts up in 4 frames, it’s very easy to stuff with regular safejump setups (e.g. fthrow, fdash, whiff jab, jump fierce). As soon as you get U2 you can option select with it on every safejump, and it will beat backdash and both flips. EX GT OS beats backdash and 3K flip. Reacting to the 3P flip beats it. U2 on reaction to Vega jumping off the back wall freely. Crossover EX Sky High Claw is punishable on block with U2, this is a common Vega gimmick. Blocking an EX Barcelona is a free U2, or you can punish with Glory Kick into EX Snake Strike.

Could somone explain what they mean by safejump options on the scarlet terror, and on the OS Ex gt safe jump?

glory kick (DF + MK) into EX snake strike??? really?

It means that they do a safe jump and input U2 after the jump fierce. so If claw uses the command backdash, he gets hit by U2 but if he blocks the j.fierce u2 wont come out. same for EX gt I think.

Alright, thank you

It depends on what they do, but yes, that is a possible punish.

If it isn’t off-topic, against T.Hawk, how do I get close without getting raped?

(also, hi srk, i’m new)

It isn’t off topic; this thread is for matchup discussion :slight_smile: welcome to srk. Long story short is that you should try to avoid getting close to T. Hawk unless an opportunity to do so presents itself. Keep him out of the air with far and close fierce and EX Snake Strike. Play conservatively and try to avoid getting cornered, and space with cr. hp, far mp, cr. hk and far mk. One of his go-to pokes if you try to play this way is far hk, which is a 37 frame commitment. That pretty much translates to a free jumpin if you can predict or bait it at the right range. HP Galactic Tornado is unsafe on block if he has Super or U1 loaded. If he doesn’t have EX Meter, you can jump in after a knockdown pretty much for free.

Ive got a nice trick vs Guy. If you’re standing and he does the air elbow right on top of you (like during the safe pressure string mp hp xx flip/run-stop) to forward + HP. rufus barely goes to the other side and hits guy with the other arm and he wont hit you…I assume you can get U1/Super if you are cornered for free damage and tons of cool points.

btw this thread should be a sticky…people wont notice it otherwise and as if this forum wasnt dead enough to begin with…(I kinda got bored of akuma so…I still played Rufus though lol, but now I just gave up with akuma). So short story…we need to revive this forums, there are tons of info about Rufus vs the newcomers and other stuff, so go ahead and share my friends.

Sounds nice… it makes sense, since f+hp lowers the top of Rufus’ head’s hitbox, preventing the grab. I sent a PM to Keits about stickying the new thread. One thing I’d like to get started on to enrich this forum is getting standardized (cropped) pictures of all of Rufus’ hitboxes. I already have his forward and neutral jumping normals, but there’s so many more that the task seems daunting for one person to compile. If anyone else is interested in getting some of these posted (they’d probably end up in the Rufus page on the wiki), send me a PM. I’m also thinking of subjects for videos, so if anyone has a good idea but no capture equipment, I could try to make one based on whatever pertinent topic. Next up on my video-making plate is one on spacing as Rufus (a la Ultradavid’s spacing basics video), so if you think you have interesting ideas for this, especially matchup-specific ones, send me a PM :slight_smile:

cool man, you could record the option selects ive been posting, I’ve got tons of them and many other tricks I cant share on video cuz I dont have the equipment

Thatd definitly help the rufus players, Im still learning the option select. Also id be glad to video tape my rufus on XBL but… I dont like throwing trash matches up against mashers Cough ryu’s. I barely find ANY good match’s, but if you want to play me and capture it hit me up. Do you use a camera or a capture card? If you use a capture card could you suggest me to it ><?

Anddd this thread would be great sticky’ed. As for the other Rufus stuff where would you want to throw that, in here or somewhere else?

Sorry I’m late responding to this, but I wanted to rebut (half to myself):

Of these 3 points, basically it’s 2 that I really meant to convey, and spouted off 1 and 3 as an extension. I would like to completely retract point 1. I shouldnt have said to run, but it’s more to be aware that until you have meter, a good chun has no reason not to rush. I co-main Rufus and Chun and have top top flight Chuns whispering in my ear. I don’t really reveal what they tell me, but since I also main Rufus, it’s my one opportunity to be a traitor :stuck_out_tongue: So for a GOOD chun, point 2 is absolutely correct.

Point 3 is a logical extension of point 2, and point 1 was a stupid way to phrase another logical extension of point 2. You don’t need to run, but you need to be aware that w/o meter, there is a weakness and be ready for a smart Chun to pounce. Point 3, I mean… yeah they CAN still rush you. but a GOOD Chun knows to be more careful. To say there’s no difference for Chun’s rush between a metered Rufus and non- would be silly. So it’s really that difference I was referencing.

So sorry for my poor phrasing. You don’t have to run, but just know if they’re smart, they’re comin for you. Be ready! :slight_smile:

andddd now its sticky’ed

Akuma:
Point black range U2 beats Rufus’ U2, he can also teleport towards Rufus and use U2 which makes U2 dangerous to chip with

EHonda:
I prefer U2 because it easily catches Honda’s jumping neutral fierce, go for a fake high dive kick (medium range) and if the Honda does any of his effective Anti Airs (j netural fierce,neutral fierce, buttslam, and even headbutt if you’re quick enough) u2 will catch it

Feilong:
If he has U2 do NOT cross up divekick, go for an empty cross up or an extremely late divekick because an obvious one is going to get destroyed
Standing fierce beats chicken wing from far away

Ill add it up, i like to know that standing firece beats chicken wings… always had issues with them. Also with Honda you can U2 his Blocked heavy headbutt

I need help with the ryu matchup…like…serious help…by far its my worst matchup =(

What are you having problems with?

I’m not sure if they will help at all but I used to have a ton of trouble with ryus until I just decided to play super aggressive against them, if they are a little DP happy I just try to bait it out. It’s all about figuring out how the ryu plays, some take the dive kick pressure and block, some like to mash dp you just have to adjust. but usually after a few punishes on dp you train them to stop mashing letting you be very agressive. though to be honest the only ryus i play are on xbl i dont have any experience vs good ryu players offline where i can see the match being tough

anyways anyone have any advice on how to defend vs cammy when she pressure you? i have a hard time getting a cammy off me without 3 bars of meter