The Power of U2: SSF4 Rose Match-up Thread

cough, cough

surely you have seen this thread in vanilla where we were arguing if that was a 7-3 or a 8-2 ? :stuck_out_tongue:
the match up doesn’t seen that bad in super, but I’ll say 6-4 is already pretty generous to rose

I’m pretty sure people were in that “He’s unbeatable+OP” mindset because we all wanted to take him down with reflects. Worthless if you ask me. Rose has an easier time avoiding tigershots than most characters. And Sagat’s fireball game is very strong. I think if more people weren’t caught up with the idyllic thinking of “I’m going to reflect every tiger shot arrrr!” and instead thought “I’ll shoot fireballs only til the point where I’m behind in the fire fight. Then I’ll block, duck, reflect, focus absorb” there probably would’ve been a lot less depression around here.

I’m feeling the hawk match-up is not in rose’s favour, like a 4.5 to 5.5.
lp spark is pretty much forbidden because of dives, and since he can control where he lands, we cannot zone him easily. there are counters to his dive/spire pressure (neutral jumps, reaction c.hp) but you may trade or straight up lose if he guesses right.
wake up pressure is to be handled like a cammy with 360’s : don’t pressure if he’s got two ex bars, and don’t try the hit -> jump back anti-zangief pressure.
u2 will give us some air and allow you to zone, but having ultra against hawk means you’ve already taken damage, and he doesn’t really give it little by little…
add his massive health to the picture.
feel free to bash away my argumentation :slight_smile:

“he who slides first wins the bout.” just had one last night and this became the key factor in my case.

Anyone got tips on when cody has his knife? i swear first time my friend used it i didnt expect to be spammed to death by it. Thing was like a jack hammer. What would be the best option to get that out of his hands? any tips would be great.

i think thats oversimplifying it. you can walk in and out of slide range and make them whiff the slide and you then counter poke with s.mk and proceed to take the momentum yourself.

anyone have any advice for rufus. my game plan is usually i try to keep rufus grounded for as long as possible. on the ground s.mk kick tends to beat out most of his pokes while having fast enough recovery to see when he attempts to jump in. i use foward HK to catch rufus prejump if i anticipate a jumpy rufus player and of course i try to soul throw any jump in attempts. but it seems like once he gets in it’s a wrap. i all can do is block and pray to god i tech the throw and not get baited.

anyone got advice to stop him from river dancing on my head other than with U2.

lol

I have trouble with Rufus too. You can disrespect his wakeup options though, just do a meaty cr.MK and pressure him, watch for EX messiah. He’s scary on offense, and getting close to him in neutral situations can be very dangerous, but you shouldn’t be scared of being close to him in general since when he’s on d, reversing with messiahs is all you’ll be looking for. The more meter he has, the more cautious you should be. Don’t let the momentum get started, wherever you are on the screen. Some people say Soul Throw the dive kicks, but I say that’s a silly guess.

i soul throw the obvious ones that are done too high. the super low ones are impossible to react to.

Soul Throw helps keep dive kicks in check. Throw enough out and Rufus will play a more cautious on knockdowns. I’ve always found Rufus matches to be outpoking anything he throws out and obviously keep that distance.

In addition, he builds meter pretty bad, so unless he’s already overwhelming you he won’t have much meter to start his offense if you space him out right. Sc. mk does alot against continuous dive kicks, and s.hp has a better hit box now so it should be better against dive kicks when he’s trying to aim at your body/feet(just be aware of Rufus’s j.hp). Also, if he’s jumping from around the range of your s.mk-s.fk don’t be afraid to meet him in the air with jump backwards fk, at that range you should be safe from his j.fk juggle shit. Of course, U2 will save your life in this match.

The problem is that they shouldn’t do ANY high ones. You can throw out a bunch of random soul throws to possibly deter dive kicks sure…less dive kicks, more punishing your random shit with half life+ combos.

I deal with it in my video toward the end.

[media=youtube]QdO8uVO_kPQ[/media]

Close HK may be your best friend.

Justin told me about “Kara Tech” where you tech the throw if he tries to throw, but Close HK comes out it he goes for a 2nd dive kick.

LP spark is only bad at certain 1/2-3/4 screen distances. I’ve been playing this match a ton and with U2 it’s no worse than 5-5, more like 5.5 in Rose’s favor. His jab spd can set you up for an ambiguous cross up but look for how he positions himself before jumping to see which side to block. Rose can zone him pretty effectively with pokes and drills. Baith the command grab whiffs and punish. I find that putting him in the corner works well too. Meaty c.lk then c.mp drill counter hits anything he does and is safe on block. Mix it up with throws and don’t let him get out.

Gonna have to agree w/ Paul here. Hawk’s DP is terribad and isn’t anything to be afraid of. The only version that’s invincible is EX, and Rose’s low short will outrange it and can’t be hit by it at the proper spacing.
Also, if hawk doesn’t have EX meter or is more likely to be a butter churner… feel free to meaty and pressure him all day with Close MK.

Same here. Rufus Match-up can be rough once he gets in.
But I just outpoke him.(cr.HP, fireball, slide)

U2 will help with the Dive Kick Pressure this time around.

If you make him work to get in, then you can make it difficult for Rufus.

Are you sure he can’t reversal LP SPD every drill? like gief unless its uberly spaced?

vs Abel ; 7-3 Rose.

Abel has more damage output then Rose, that’s for sure, but Rose shuts down Abel after one knock down.

Once Abel get’s knocked down without EX meter, you can just abuse sc. mk and laugh at Abel because he has no chance now or has a move to beat it. If Abel does have an EX Meter, you can read his EX CoD and use your Kara sc.MK throw. It’s pretty much an invincible match up. Also, give the orbs punish roll-grab, sc.mk will make it twice as good and Abel has no chance vs Rose unless he reads a sc. mk and somehow and some reason chose U1.

SC.MK > Abel

Wow what an irrational claim. Abel can block and tech like everybody. What bad players have you been beating to inspire such delusion?

Let him block everything. Rose can pressure awfully well in this game.

What? Better than in SF4? U2 is the only improvement I see.