The Julia Chang Thread

Good find.:tup:

That notation on Wind Roll is for the follow up strings you can do out of the initial move.

I tried Julia at PAX today I found her to be pretty fun.

Her swift step makes her dash towards her opponent but no attack, acts more like a fake to lashing arrow and swift step explosion, also can be used to close the gap. Lashing arrow is her lunge punch, unsafe on block and swift step explosion causes her to pause before reaching her opponent and then punching. Lunge punch can be used to end combos not too sure about the use of swift step explosion.

I was a bit confused between rising kick and wind roll since they have the same command. Wind roll as someone said earlier avoids projectiles however the window is a bit tighter than expected (almost like the same window as Rose’s reflect) I got hit out of it several times before I understood the timing. The follow ups to the wind roll are extremely slow though but hit hard. Im not really sure what their properties are but everytime it came out people did not seem to block it or it may have caught them by surprise. Will test out more tomorrow.

She has an uppercut kick, it has very little horizontal range but decent vertical range. When I cross rushed with her it would miss unless opponent was in the corner.

She also has some sort of carry move or command grab that is halfcircle backwards with punch, think ibuki’s grab in that it could be blocked but can be comboed into.

One thing I liked about her was her normals. Her hard standing punch comes out fast and has good range and also keeps her somewhat at a safe distance. She steps forward and hits the opponent then steps back, hard to explain but looks like Rufus’ fragrance palm (forward hard punch). Her hard standing kick also has good range. Both can be used to confirm into Cross Rush which I often did because of the range and speed of both moves. Her crouching hard kick sweeps twice and moves her slightly forward, can be compared to guile’s or t.hawks. Also one of the things I was happy to find is that she can cross up with jumping medium kick. It was pretty effective. Ill try to find the OTG tomorrow cause I didnt realize that she had that until I read the forum.

As for the command launcher, its either down or down diagonal hard punch, was able to launch opponent and lunge punch although I’m pretty sure it has better uses than that. Only found out about it at the end of the day, I was trying to figure out how to use the launcher and how to connect into it because it seemed if it is hit alone it doesnt launch the opponent and needs to be comboed into. Ill try to get more time playing her tomorrow.

Thank you for this. Julia sounds exciting to play!

Yeah, thanks for the info Inkghost. Just have a question, what her follow ups out of wind roll? I know what they are in Tekken, she does either a low sweep or mid kick into her shoulder ram (ignoring the other non-command list mix-up shenanigans she can do out of it), but for all I know Capcom could’ve altered them. Just curious, since I haven’t seen many players use her wind roll at all.

Nice on Inkghost. That was very informative. :tup:

Oh yeah I forgot to talk about that, I know it says in the command list, but when you windroll and punch and press punch again they are linked and the opponent is knocked down after the second hit. I found that using windroll to standing kick was a bit slow. When you windroll and press down and kick she hits low but before she hits low she kinda pauses, it also applies to the other followups but i found the kick followups seemed longer to come out. The moves that come after windroll come out extremely slow so that even if you avoid the fireball the opponent might have enough time to recover and hit you back before the punch or kick out of windroll comes out. Most of the time when I did the standing kick version it was too slow to connect and I got hit out of it or they dashed backward, the punch version seemed to hit more effectively although maybe they just werent blocking it, I’ll check tomorrow if it is a shoulder ram.

Now that I look at the command list I didn’t realize the windroll to low kick was followed by both low punch and medium punch cause the entire time I was playing I kept on pressing one punch but nothing followed. The command list on the machines were kinda small and the area was kinda dark so I presumed it was just any punchhehe. Thats the one thing I was a bit frustrated with her because I didnt really find the uses for windroll outside avoiding and punishing projectiles but since its so slow Im not too sure in what other situations you would use it at the moment. Also the command list confused me since rising kick and windroll have the same notations, so I didnt see anything that relatively looked like a rising kick (I played Julia in TTT but didnt know the name of her moves so maybe its not rising kick in the literal sense and something else?) and mostly windroll came out unless rising kick is the mid kick. I figured that rising kick was the name of her shoryuken since it has the word rising but its named tiger strike.That is one of the things I’m intent on trying tomorrow is how to use her windroll properly along with her command launcher.

That sounds…disappointing, lol. Wind-roll is one my favorite moves of hers in Tekken, since its so versatile and good for pressure, but maybe it’ll still have its uses.

As for her rising kick, I don’t remember her having a move like that either. I gotta agree with you that they probably mean her shoryuken.

I think this is probably what the rising kick looks like, when playing traditional Tekken:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/185942368/panty_shots_ftw_4_by_burningkikoken-d32pe1s.png

Looking at the SF X TK footage again, the animations kind of look the same.

Ok, in the last day of PAX I found her extremely fun to play as and I found out a lot more things about her and Tekken characters in general and Im actually really excited to write up about her. I know its probably going to be prominent in future videos and commentary about the game but the Tekken characters appear to have a lot more command normals/target combos then the Street Fighter characters.

@JuliafanAM
I tested out her windroll more and it has pretty useful properties. For one the punch follow up hits overhead and as you said it is followed by a shoulder bash. I think this is what is going to make her a tricky character because she can windroll and do nothing, grab or hit overhead or low. But the one thing I found weird about the low option is that its followup (which is also a shoulder bash) doesnt seem to combo after the kick so maybe their strict timing or it the move has a property I didnt test out.

I wasn’t able to find out her picking up the floor move like in the video although I did find her command launcher. Her command launcher is back diagonal medium punch followed by the same back diagonal medium punch (maybe just medium punch? unsure) or :db::mp:, :db::mp:. I found it hard to connect from light punch or light kick but it can be comboed from coming down into the air (I usually used her cross up medium kick followed by the launcher). The launcher then can possibly be continue with a lunge punch, a switch cancel, or a cross rush (although you have a be closer in spacing). With the switch cancel you can bring the other character in a do and combo or another cross rush and bring Julia back in again. As for launching and cross rushing with Julia, I used her hard standing punch since it moves her forward and was still able to catch the opponent to hit into cross rush.

Her EX swift step,lunge, and explosion have armor, I’m not sure how many hits but she was able to take absorb one hit and still continue moving forward so possibly used to punish fireballs. Ex with LM punch just do the step (moves forward and does nothing). I’m not sure if I got it switched but its either EX with MH punch that does EX lunge or LH that does EX swift step (i think its probably EX with MH punch that does EX lunge since the moves act like Street Fighter).

Her command grab is indeed half circle back and any strength of punch/:hcb::p: and also it can be charged to unleash a special (which is why I’m not sure why in the command list its listed that her tiger strike is listed as the special unless I’m misunderstanding the meaning of the S beside the move in the command list)

Also her shoryuken kick looks like it may be an imagining of the rising kick, for some reason I dont really trust the command list commands at the moment since some of the Tekken characters commands seemed like they were notated wrong (for example Nina’s command list seemed like the notations were wrong unless I just suck hehe) although I’m just guessing here. I found out more about her shoryuken, at first I thought it wasn’t very good since it had really short horizontal and vertical range which I thought applied to all the strengths of the move since I was only using the hard version of it. Actually the light version travels the highest while the strong version travels the lowest although all are at a very high angle and their horizontal distance is less then a shoryuken.

One of the funnest things I found out about her was her rekkas/target combo, Im not really sure what to call them but basically they are moves that can be followed up with comboed into other moves. This was the find I found most exciting since it opened up her game a lot more. This combo is back diagonal and medium kick followed by either just medium punch or forward medium punch (I’m not too sure if its just the medium punch alone or whether you have to press forward) followed by another forward medium punch (this one sure needs to be forward medium punch).

Or to be clear it looks like :db::mk:, :f::mp:, :f::mp:/:f::mk:,

It is a three hit combo and the last punch can be exchanged with kick which is the kick from windroll (the one that hits mid). The combo can’t be mashed and feels like the timing is similar to Tekken, more rhythmic in a sense because there is a slight wait before you can execute the 3rd medium punch, or followup kick. I tried mashing it but it didnt come out. The combo can be followed up with a shoryuken as well. Actually the most interesting aspect about this is that the third hit stuns the opponent leaving you enough time to switch cancel and do a combo with the other character. The punch version makes them reel back while the kick version twists them around both stunning for similar periods of time but I’m sure they have different uses (It seemed like the punch version pushed the opponent further while the kick version although kept you closer to the opponent had slightly less stun time) Also if you hit someone out of the air the combo can still catch them on the ground and instead of stunning them, launches them into the air allowing you to switch cancel from this move too. So one of the combos I did with her was

:atk::mk:, land, :db::mk:, :f::mp:, :f::mp:, switch cancel, then cross rush with other character, and followup with shoryuken kick/LMH. I was also able to do cross rush which would bring Julia in, do the command/target combo, switch cancel and end the combo with the other character. A lot of combo options were opened with I found out about this move as well as command launcher. Now that I look at it, it takes two meters so I’m pretty sure in the future there will be more damaging combos with less meter. It did around 1/5 ish damage or a bit more but not 1/4. I wasnt able to experiment as much as I wanted to with this move since it was the last day of PAX. I did find another target combo with her but I didnt know how to end it, it was something like diagonal down medium punch into medium kick, not entirely sure of the notations on this one.

Anyways I am really liking her so far although I realize there are a lot more things possible with her than I imagined especially looking back at the E3 Character Reveal Trailer. Starts at 0:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_fSM3HTN3E.

I think one of the things that perplexes me in this trailer is that her shoulder bash does a really high launcher although I wasn’t able to pull or see any moves like that since most of the follow up shoulder bashes knockdown. Also it is the move that causes the other character to come in as well so I was wondering how it was done without causing the other character to come in. The video as tricked me since around 0:48 after Bob ends his combo, he seems to continue it however it looks like 2 pieces of video spliced. It confused me since I realized they wouldnt have enough meter to pull of what appears to be one entire combo unless meter builds that fast in the game.

Mmm… panty shot.

I see what you did there. Then again I posted that screenshot.

@inkghost
once again great info.
Edit: Decided to add what inkghost provided in the OP. It’s under “other.”

Not much activity going on here, is there?
I did this meme yesterday:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/256826831/julia_chang_saw_that_by_burningkikoken-d48woun.png

Had I done this sooner, I would have used this as a response to your last post.

Thanks for the info again, inkghost! I’m trying to connect :db::mk:, :f::mp:, :f::mp:/:f::mk:, to Tekken but I’m drawing a blank. Maybe her stampede charge/mountain crusher string? I’ll have to see it in action. Lots of good info, but its a shame that there’s not a lot of videos where you can see all this info applied.

Hey JuliafanAM I was able to find the move in this video

Its at 2:03 - 2:09 both the kick and punch followups

At 2:49 thats what her :db::mp:, :db::mp: or launcher combo looks like.

Ah, I was right. It was her stampede charge/mountain crusher. Cool.

And her launcher…its mostly useless in Tekken (besides the odd BT wake-up), but this is SF, so its probably got different properties/application. I’m also wondering if you recognized the diagonal down medium punch target combo you mentioned (might be her gut punch string, 1:48-1:58).

Again, thanks Inkghost. lol, I don’t know how you’re not annoyed (or maybe you are, sorry!) with all the questions yet.

Her Super Art and Cross Art

On the TGS stream when she does that dash command and hits a button it causes crumple. I think it’s from her wind roll

Sorry for the late reply, just moving back into college and stuff, oh no worries with the questions although I’m not really sure if I would be able to answer all of them hehe. Regarding the medium punch target combo in my previous post that what I thought it looked like although yours may be kinda close. Its been some time but its basically a really fast quick punch that has little range connected to a launcher.

Also if you looked in on the videos released in TGS youll see the command grab I was talking about, I believe it was after a lunge punch which I did not know was possible with the command grab, I guess it does have similar properties to Ibuki’s.

A hot heavy hitter who seems like a mixture of Yun and Yang, but I’ll still use her.