The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

Deus ex Machina.

It’s like the SF2 Animated Movie. Ryu and Ken beat Bison because Bison was arrogant as fuck to “fight them on their own level”, not realizing that they didn’t make such an agreement ergo shot fireballs at him. He could’ve ended them both 20 minutes before that scene and bagged both their bodies. But he didn’t, because of ‘decent writing’ (it actually was believable to some extent as Bison is a lawfully evil man of his word).

The point is, yes good writing can make or break a fight, but if we were to view things realistically from an in-universe perspective, not many major characters can beat Bison 1 on 1 without help, a miracle, or a foolish mistake on Bison’s part.

Power levels in the SF universe are not equal like MK. Even in SF5’s prologues, when certain characters beat others 1v1 (that we know they wouldn’t be able to realistically), Capcom went to the effort to make it seem like the fight was either a throw, a troll, or a test.

Moral of the story

Bison’s demise will be his own arrogance.

You don’t need to out-power an enemy to beat him. If they do need to do that, their writing is shit.

No, I wouldn’t call it crap writing. It’s just another way to defeat someone.

Overpowering them, beating them via manipulation, a plan, control, outsmarting them etc etc. There’s plenty of ways to defeat someone stronger then you. Unless of course they get derp stuff like super invincibility or omni potent garbage.

In the SF2 V movie if (bison wasn’t arrogant) he could have prevented the final battle and killed ken when they first met (where he toyed with ken and made him look free, but only if you take away bison’s arrogance and touch nothing else).

But that what’s makes good characters. A “flaw” (subjective)

I never understood why Blanka should be from Thailand and I’m not sure whether this was ever officially said anywhere. His name is Jimmy and his mother is called Samantha, so I assume they are intended to be from an English-speaking country, most likely the United States.

All the more reason for them to stop doing that then.

Indeed. Skill and effort can overcome raw power.

I honestly don’t think even if Street Fighter keeps power creeping they can reach Ingrid levels. I mean, Ingrid can manipulate time and space. That’s a bit too crazy for the Street Fighter Universe.
Otherwise if we had Ryu and Bison fighting on that level - we might as well rename the series to Dragon Ball Z

Too much confidence into self or a power that had been dependent for a longer time can be the key to destruction because it can open possibilities of negligence, The same thing with the lack of information towards the opposing mechanism/force, Even if the opposing mechanism/force is weaker it can be ahead when it’s informed against a stronger enemy but that’s a different case when the power itself is about indestructibility.

Street Fighter is like Fast and Furious, we’ll slowly see characters getting more OP as each sequel gets made :wink:

If the characters grow stronger in tandem it’s fine. The problem is when you randomly introduce a new character that makes all the old characters’ fighting abilities seem meaningless.

Ingrid, Oni are hard examples of this type of negative power creep. It’s the the equivalent of taking a shit on the story.

That’s why I always loved this picture by Dialve:

If SF had a series of omake shorts in an anime (or extra story stuff like Blaz Blue) , I’d love to see one where Karin invites a bunch of the contestants to a party at her place, then Dan and Blanka turn to Dudley for gentlemanly advice, seem to succeed his grueling GentleMAX training, only to screw everything up do to a comical mishap.

I disagree with you on Oni. SF3 Akuma and to a lesser extent SF3 Ryu did some superhuman things in their endings. In Third Strike, Akuma raised a sunken ship from the bottom of the ocean with some sort of hurricane kick technique. He split Ayers Rock in half in his Second Impact ending. On the other hand, Ryu was doing squats with a giant boulder and Oro on his back. Oni’s feats don’t seem any greater than SF3 Akuma.

You’re absolutely right. I should’ve said Ingrid and Akuma. Pardon me.

Which is exactly why it’s more interesting for a villain to lose because of one of their failings or a hero to overcome because of one of their virtues. Back in the day, Superman met stronger foes all the time and beat them with something clever and it was a lot more interesting than the brain-dead “hit him harder!” resolution that idiot writers use nowadays with Supes.

068: Fei Long

Fei Long

WA-TAAAH!
Fighter and action star.
A hot-blooded fighter who never neglects his daily training.

Name: Fei Long
Height: 172cm
Weight: 60kg
Blood Type: B
Birthday: April 23
Home Country: China, Hong Kong
Favorite things: Kung Fu, Self-assertion
Dislikes: Apathy, Aplomb, Indifference

An actor recognized as having the responsibility of Hong Kong’s cinema world.
Heavily trained since his childhood,
now he’s a kung-fu practitioner without peer in Hong Kong.
Specialized in action with the use of nunchaku.
He once estranged himself from the world of movies,
but in order to demonstrate the greatness of fighting and the greatness of life
he once again accepted the challenge of a feature film.

Mah nigga

Interesting. It seems that Long’s SF2 ending (where he left film) did happen in some capacity but it was shortlived as he was back into film making less than a year later.

You’d think money wouldn’t be an issue for him considering he’s probably one of the most popular martial artists. I can’t imagine Fei coming back to the cinema just because

As i said in the past Sagat, Abel and Fei will be a badass old school trio

Fei and Abel and they had a rival fight back in SF4
Abel is the one who found Sagat in SFV
Also fun that Sagat “training in the mountains” may also hint that we may see him changed/with new tricks

Combined they’re a badass and various mix of styles imho

You have
The fast little screaming chinese kung fu (Jeet Kune Do) dude
The rangy and powerful 2mt tall badass thai striker
The strong, tough and stocky sambo/mma grappler/striker