The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

Why did Poison visit Cody in the prison in the first place?

Clearly because Poison > Jessica. Totally shipping for them now.

I think she has/had feelings for Cody and felt guilty for framing him if I recall. I wonder how she & Hugo currently feel about the FF hero team in general now that theyā€™re doing aces by sf3.

Donā€™t really need tons of revenge when your old nemesis self destructed and got stuck in a loop of incarceration.

Because he was framed for her crimes, and she felt guilty. Thatā€¦ AND she hoped Cody would return her love.
At least according to an ending from a game that doesnā€™t exist.

Well, thinking about it, that idea was actually the only thing remotely intriguing.

Huh. Well itā€™s good to know that Poison isnā€™t a hearthless person. The sadness in Poisonā€™s eyes in that pic hurts :frowning:

All these characters profiles make me more anxious to see this game getting at least 30 playable fighters as time goes by.

Thatā€™s pretty much what they did, yeah.

<sarcasm>But why are you all always talking about Cody? If itā€™s about original intention, the character in the SF2 intro is definitely Joe. Definitely Joe. Those were supposed to be Joe and Mike. Not Cody. Joe!</sarcasm>

What? We know exactly the outcome of SF4. Apart from Poisonā€™s joke ending, those are not what-if scenes, but they are all canon and tell an on-going storyline.
Each time you see one Seth defeated, itā€™s indeed a copy. But the one in Bisonā€™s and Juriā€™s ending, thatā€™s the real Seth. He got killed by Juri in the end.

I always assumed that, in the context of SFA3, Charlieā€™s SFA2 ending never happened.

I donā€™t think that ā€œI believe my father is alive somehwere, like Charlie. The real goodbye will only happen if we stop believingā€ was meant in a literal ā€œthey survivedā€ sense. This was more about the religious concept of a heaven.

The retcon already happened in SF4. Cutscenes showed Chalie in a stance where he had gotten shot and they showed a scene of him falling down. Based on these cutscenes, people on this forum predicted the retcon long before SF5 made it absolutely obvious.

Finally got around to finishing the remaining SF5 prologues and Ingridā€™s Alpha 3 synopsis. Here they are:

Laura:

[details=Spoiler]The story begins with Laura teasing her younger brother Sean about some ā€œMatsuda style electric shock trainingā€. She sees Sean reading about the Masters online karate in some magazine. Sean is sure Matsuda Jiu-Jitsu would not draw anyone, but believes it could be possible if she went out and defeated many strong opponents like Ken did. This gives her the idea to go out and seek strong opponents to make this a reality. Laura quickly finds a wandering Birdie and approaches him for a fight. Birdie has no desire to fight because heā€™s starving, though heā€™s quick to change his answer when Laura offers to treat him to a meal if they fight.

Both are shown enjoying a nice lunch after the fight. When Laura asks if Birdie knows any strong fighters, he tells her about Karin Kanzuki and how she seems to only care about the same thing. Laura thanks him and goes to find Karin while leaving Birdie with the bill. The bubbly babe finds herself at the Kanzuki Estate face to face with Karin. She introduces herself and informs Karin that sheā€™s looking to promote her Matsuda Jiu-Jitsu by taking on strong fighters. Karin seems interested and accepts her challenge.

The two complement each otherā€™s fighting ability when the fight is over. As expected, Laura asks Karin if she knows any strong fighters she could introduce her to. Karin thinks about this before coming up with the perfect opponent. Laura finds Ryu and challenges him to a fight. Ryu seems a bit confused on why she wants to fight before accepting her challenge. The fight was everything she wanted, but sheā€™s confused about the weird energy that was coming from Ryu during the battle. This was the Satsui no Hado, which Laura thought made the fight much more thrilling.

Laura later traveled to Russia to meet up with Zangief. Sheā€™s excitedly tells him about her adventures across the world that has brought her various opponents to fight. Zangief believes sheā€™ll develop balanced muscles just like him. The two have a fight, with Zangief giving Laura a ticket to a wrestling scouting tournament for her improvement. Laura is eager to see what this is about and immediately takes off. Back in Brazil, Sean is shown wondering where Laura has gone.
[/details]

Karin:

[details=Spoiler]Karinā€™s story begins with Shibasaki watching a video of Azam thatā€™s teaching him about the strength of a butler. Right after arriving from a meeting with the Prime Minister, Karin displays the ā€œKanzuki Shikkujutsuā€ technique that easily knocks Birdie on his butt. Karin wants to have a match with Birdie, though Birdie doesnā€™t seem too keen on fighting because heā€™s hungry.

When the fight ends, Shibasaki tells Karin that theyā€™ve located the master of Senjutsu who likely battled her grandfather for three days in a row over a hundred years ago. Heā€™s currently in India and Karin loves the idea of fighting a hermit. Upon arriving in India, Karin meets with Dhalsim. She asks him if he knows of the master of Senjutsu, but Dhalsim informs her that heā€™s gone. Regardless, she sees Dhalsim is a worthy enough challenge for the time being and decides to take him on instead.

Both were unable to gain the upper-hand over the other. According to Shibasaki, Karin displayed a technique that was created from the hado called ā€œThe Kanzuki-ryu kata of unyielding insistenceā€. Her ability to master this at such a young age has put her on another level entirely. Dhalsim compliments her on her skill and wishes her good luck on her journey before teleporting away.

Out of nowhere, two Shadaloo soldiers are sent flying towards them. While both Karin and Zangief are excited to see each other, a few Shadaloo soldiers look to continue on with their attack. Karin effortlessly defeats them with a special art called ā€œThe Rulerā€™s Staying Hand!ā€ Even Zangief is shocked that the rhythmic movement of Karinā€™s muscles allowed her to easily defeat them. Zangief decides to copy her and pulls off a similar move before taking on Karin.

After their exciting match, Karin, Birdie, and Shibasaki take off. Their upcoming plans are to make negotiations with the Ninja village, choose participants for the upcoming tournament in New York, review the invitation list for the party, and a meeting with various representatives across the country regarding the ā€œKanzuki Space Colonyā€. Birdie just wants to get something to eat.

Back at the Kanzuki Estate, Karin gets a surprise visit from Sakura. The two are happy to see each other and quickly enter their stances to spar like they always do.
[/details]

Rashid:

[details=Spoiler]Somewhere in China, Rashid is typing a message about continuing the search for his friend. He asks his good friend and servant, Azam, if heā€™s silly for trying to locate and sneak into a Shadaloo Base. Whether itā€™s silly or not, Azam will follow behind Rashid no matter what. The idea of his friend not messaging him in ten days is strange considering his net addiction. On top of that, Rashid randomly receives a chess piece package, which leads him to grow even more worried. Within a few seconds or so, Rashid receives a message that a guy dressed in a Shadaloo uniform was fighting at a restaurant nearby. Rashid immediately spots him and asks him to reveal the whereabouts of the Shadaloo Base. Birdie has no intention of talking to Rashid.

When theyā€™re done fighting, Birdie admits that heā€™s not with Shadaloo anymore, though he still has no interest in elaborating. Rashid tells him that finding his friends is his main concern, but even thatā€™s not enough to deter Birdie to give Rashid any information. Azamā€™s presence, however, seems to get Birdieā€™s attention.

Itā€™s now been twelve days and heā€™s still yet to hear from his friend. After browsing online for a bit and chatting, Maya (Presumably Crimson Viper) sends Rashid the coordinates to locate Ryu and test himself against him in battle. Soon Rashid and Azam find Ryu and Gouken. Rashid asks Ryu for a match, which he eventually accepts. The fight looked to be pretty close until Ryu was able to claim victory with the Shoryuken. Even though Rashid lost, he appreciates getting the opportunity to face Ryu. If anything, thisā€™ll give him a great story to tell everyone at home no matter if he lost or not.

Azam asks Rashid if the lost was enough to convince him to stop searching for his friend, but the fight with Ryu has awakened him and given him the motivation to continue on. Rashid is ready to go up against Shadaloo alone if need be, but he asks Azam if heā€™d go along with him. Azam assures Rashid that he wonā€™t have to fight alone because heā€™ll be right there with him.
[/details]

Ingrid, Alpha 3:

[details=Spoiler]Ingrid is a mysterious white haired beauty thatā€™s looking to handle a problem that must be rectified quickly. The Earth is being surrounded by an ominous dark cloud, and according to Ingrid: ā€œIā€™ve got to get it back before something terrible happens!ā€ As she searches the planet, she finds Ryu whilst in a violent state. The Satsui no Hado has taken control of him, but Ingrid wonders how Ryu is able to wield a power thatā€™s beyond his control. Ryu doesnā€™t care, as he just wants to send her to oblivion.

With her great power, sheā€™s able to defeat Ryu and return him back to his normal state. Ryu thanks her for saving him, though Ingrid wonders if he was actually being controlled or not. Ryu began to feel strange after meeting Bison, whom Ingrid recognizes as the one she was told to look out for. Sheā€™s quite sure heā€™s the one whoā€™s abusing ā€œthat pieceā€ for his own greed. Ingrid quickly wishes Ryu well on his pursuit of knowledge, leaving the warrior confused as to how she knows who he is.

Her next confrontation is with Rose near the Shadaloo Base. Rose is unable to read her future or past, wondering who she is. Ingrid tells Rose that the power Bison holds is dangerous. She knows this perfectly well considering itā€™s her power. Despite all of that, Rose isnā€™t buying Ingridā€™s story and tells Ingrid to stand aside because itā€™s her mission to seal away Bisonā€™s power for good. After a quick fight, Ingrid tells Rose to relax and leave it to her now. With her capabilities, sheā€™ll be able to finish Bison within 15 minutes. Rose still wants to know who she is, but Ingrid tells her to just remember her as a ā€œmessenger from the starsā€ and goes to confront Bison.

The uniform and twisted face is enough for Ingrid to pick up on who he is. She demands that he returns her power, since Bison canā€™t just take what he wants. Bison understands that there must be a connection between her and the Psycho Drive. Ingrid is annoyed that heā€™s given her power such a stupid name. Nevertheless, itā€™s a power that he could never master, and heā€™d be wise to return it before he gets hurt. Bison laughs at this before telling her that sheā€™s now sealed her own fate. Heā€™ll completely wipe her out with his Psycho Power. Ingrid is taken aback by Bisonā€™s arrogance in still believing that the power heā€™s wielding belongs to him.

Bison wonders how she was able to track him down, but tells Ingrid that heā€™ll never give up his Psycho Power or his Psycho Drive before quickly flying to his Shadaloo Base. Ingrid now understands thereā€™s no reasoning with him before taking off after him. Rose is beginning to sense the intensity of his Psycho Power, wondering what Ingridā€™s plan is.

By the time Ingrid arrives, Bison is in the Psycho Drive gloating that itā€™s now too late. As long as the world is filled with human hatred and fear, the Psycho Drive will be able to feed on this limitless energy forever. Therefore, heā€™s immortal. Ingrid is ready to show him that heā€™s not, though Bison has other plans as he unleashes a Psycho Crusher. The crest belonging to Ingrid overloaded Bisonā€™s Psycho Power through the Psycho Drive and completely obliterated him. Ingrid knew the power was far too powerful for something like the Psycho Drive.

Ingrid proceeds to take the Psycho Drive and leave the planet. Rose notes that Bisonā€™s power has vanished, but she still wonders who Ingrid is. In the upcoming future, Ingrid plans to encounter a monk in the form of Ryu. Apparently heā€™s up to something really interesting in that time.
[/details]

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

1- It didnā€™t happen, but Guileā€™s story mode implies that Charlie knew of his military superiorsā€™ corruption and ties to Shadaloo. The only time Charlie wouldā€™ve found this out was after his Alpha 2 ending. Guileā€™s story makes it into a point also that Charlie is missing.

2- Thatā€™s one way to interpret.

3- I know, I was the one arguing that. lol.

Noooooo anyone but thaaaaat character!

J/k

Thanks for posting these so quick. By the time I get these up all the Slammasters characters will be in the guide (just need Ortega as Iā€™m posting now)

Where did you get that from? :o To my knowledge, Ryu is not a monk in the original Japanese. Ingrid refers to him with the term 小僧 kozō, whose literal meaning is indeed ā€œnovice monkā€, but is also used figuratively by elder people to call the youngsters; and throughout the game Ingrid uses the typical speech pattern of an old geezer (well, sheā€™s centuries old, after all). She basically calls him ā€œkidā€. It was the English version that mistook that part and created the future in which Ryu is a monkā€¦ A future that never existed nor was intended to exist in the first place.

I love how we have multiple Japanese translators in this thread to clear things up and explain oddities with the language.

I got it from the game script, but thanks for clarifying things.

Weā€™ve come a long way from the dark age of mistranslations and ignorance. Proud of our SRKers. <3

Holy shit. Yo bak, we forgot the Soul Power entry!! Rose is my gurl; we canā€™t leave her hanging!!

O.k., I just looked it up. Seems like youā€™re right.
So, in the old canon, Charlie was betrayed, shot and fell down a waterfall and he justā€¦swallowed it and went on with his mission? The ā€œAlpha 3ā€ storyline is even more stupid than I thought.

And probably the only legitimate one.
I mean, do you really believe that the intended meaning was the following?

ā€œI believe Charlie is still alive somehow. Somehow, under all this rubble of Bisonā€™s blown-up base that I witnessed blowing up from not too far away, I sincerely believe that Chalieā€™s body is still alive. Maybe I should send a rescue misson. Or maybe I should just walk over there and have a look for myself. After all, even if heā€™s still alive, he probably wonā€™t be for long if we donā€™t fetch him soonā€¦Meh, nevermind. The real goodbye only comes when we stop believing.ā€

Think about it for a moment and then tell me whether Chun Liā€™s and Guileā€™s statements were supposed to be meant in a spiritual way or whether these words were actually intended to be a sequel hook to Charlieā€™s possible return? Remember: Unlike in the new canon, Guile was actually present when Charlie died. So, you really think that Guile legitimately believed Charlie to be alive?

Youā€™re welcome. Sorry for the sudden burst; Iā€™ve had identified that mistake in the English version long since, and seeing it still perpetuated prompted my overreaction. I must apologise to you, Iā€™ve really not been nice - and on top of that, now I reread myself, with a f***** professor (which I am not) tone. Argh.

Thank you. Unfortunately, itā€™s a sad fact Capcom still continues to insert inaccuracies and/or straightforward mistakes in its official English translations. I recall having seen Mikaā€™s Story Mode somewhere on Youtube: well, in the original Japanese Ibuki never retorts to Mika having been working there longer than her. Itā€™s a small example, but gives the ideaā€¦

Thatā€™s just passion in wanting the most accurate interpretation. Youā€™re good, man. Thereā€™s no need to apologize. I appreciate your insight.

Edit: I believe this http://i.imgur.com/qKrUii3.jpg is the Soul Power entry.

Charlie didnā€™t just swallow it and go on with his mission. He turned his back on his government, went underground, and worked undercover with Chun-Li to bring down Shadaloo after he went missing in Alpha 2. The stakes were much higher, especially now that he discovered (the hard way) what and who he is dealing with. Itā€™s basically a variation of his SF5 plot but with Chun-Li instead of Helen. Expect Guile to try to stop Charlie just like he did in Alpha 3, and also expect Charlie to take Bison out with him. (Recycle everything Capcom! NO ONE REMEMBERS GUILEā€™S ALPHA3 STORY BUT ME!!!)

Anyway, No I do not believe the intended meaning is ā€œthe followingā€. When Alpha 3 was conceived it was meant to be a prequel to SF2, and Guile wasnā€™t looking for Charlie in SF2. He just wanted revenge against Bison for Charlieā€™s *death *among other things. So clearly at the time of Alpha 3ā€™s home release - Guileā€™s intended meaning was spiritual in nature rather than literal because Guile knew Charlie was dead rather than missing in SF2.

But when SF4 was released and retconned SF2/SFA3, the option of reinterpreting Guileā€™s Alpha 3 ending was suddenly not as senseless. Now we know better of course.

This is a common occurrence actually. I remember when someone did a comparison of Akuma and Goukiā€™s winquotes in SF4, they really were like two different people sometimes. This is why having fans of the lore such as yourself is a great privilege for us, because Japanese > English (except the SF2 animated movie and donā€™t let anyone tell you otherwise!).

Ooo nice it has So-ryu style right above it which was another one we needed. Way to go knowing how to kill two birds with one stone.