The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

sigh

Well, it sucks that Cody is still in prison. But thank Christ at least they changed his outfit. The new one is a million times better than the old Hamburglar suit.

They really don’t. Out of the hundreds of thousands of prisons we have in the US, there’s a couple that still use them, primarily as a gimmick.

It’s a ridiculously anachronistic outfit. Which would be tolerable as a “classic” alt costume. But as a main/story costume that they’re expected to actually wear, it’s stupid as hell. It’s like dressing Guile up as a Civil War soldier.

I like the design they gave him, it’s just this part that always makes me cringe.

It’s like giving Obi-wan a blaster

Yes, but a select few use them none the less for a gimmick. Cody’s whole schtick is that he’s in prison so a gimmicky prison jumpsuit makes him more original in the SF world than a plain old orange one.

That’s the one thing I like about Streetwise. The character designs.

Know what else is anachronistic? Honda’s outfit, Chun Li’s outfit, Dhalsim’s outfit. You don’t think M Bison’s SS inspired costume is anachronistic? That’s 70 years out of date.

God knows that Yun and Yang are wearing what every kid in hong kong wears, old school chinese kung fu clothes. Oh man, Azam’s genie outfit is all the rage. Ninja’s are so modern, no wonder Ibuki never looks out of date. Why don’t more people wear 70s film inspired outfits everywhere like Fei? I guess Uriens loincloth is totally of this millenia. It’s a good thing Guile didn’t wear the wrong uniform for his branch of the military for 20+ years, o wait. Fang’s chinese dress doesn’t seem out of place anywhere, he could wear that down the street and no one would blink. Same thing with Gen.

Seriously, half of the entire fucking street fighter cast wears shit that is anachronistic and out of place. That is an AWFUL argument. You don’t like it? Sure. But that argument was weak tea.

Something I notice with Cody is that the whole “framed for a crime” part is almost ignored, if not retconned, and him being in jail is entirely his fault now. And having a brother named Kyle doesn’t necessarily make SW canon: Remember Sawada?

Spoiler

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/0/05/Sawada-cartoon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101026160934

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/d/d7/CaptainSawada.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101026144949

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/5/5e/Sawada.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130109221614

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nz7/game/sfv/concept/3/sfv-concept-art-captain-sawada.jpg

Just because he came from external media doesn’t make that media canon to the main games, and even his overall design can be completely redone to fit what they want to do with the character in the context of SFV.

That’s it, no more prison visits to see Cody

Seth got an entry? But he’s got to be fucking dead right… it would be stupid to bring him back ‘_’

The difference is, for half of those, those are martial arts outfits, and they ARE still worn today, IF you’re a martial artist. Which those characters are. Nobody walks around wearing a hakama on the streets these days. But kendo and aikido practitioners still wear them when doing kendo and aikido.

With Cody’s old prisoner outfit, nobody wears those outfits anymore. Not even prisoners.

As for the other half(Azam for example), you’re right, those outfits are anachronistic. They also suck just as bad as Cody’s old outfit.

It doesn’t make him look original though. It just makes him look stupid.

That was always the case in SF. Him being framed came from FF Revenge, which was never canon. In SF, he was always in jail because he wouldn’t stop fighting people.

Didn’t you get the memo? SF characters don’t die.

I doubt Cody will ever get out of jail. All the times he’s broken out undoubtedly extended his jail sentence.

The problem with Seth is two fold. We don’t know what the canon conclusion of SFIV was. Plus there what? 16 different cyborgs with the same body? How do know it’s really Seth dying in those endings. Ken’s win quote in SSFIV suggests that was destroyed in SFIV but game back again in SSFIV in another body. He probably picked up the lame ass “back up body plan” from Bison.

I swear to god if Capcom pulls off this “back up body plan” for fucking Seth… ugh here’s hoping he’s not alive and got an entry just because everyone is getting one…

Don’t talk in absolutes. All it does is mean that you’re absolutely wrong in most cases, like this one.

Better not let @daemos hear you talking shit about Bison’s outfits.

Check it out:

Can buy prison uniforms from this company that works with thousands of jails/prisons. They sell, and even use the striped prison uniform for their website icon. Because it’s a fucking iconic look that people recognize as “jail”

You know what major location still uses striped uniforms? Parchman Farm. The oldest prison and only maximum security men’s prison in Mississippi, but hey, it’s just a tiny little county jail doing it for attention. Not a major penitentiary in the US with large important ties to the civil rights movement as well as culture since and before then. Not like there aren’t movies and books set there, or referencing them, songs written about it that have been covered tons of times including by well known artists like eric clapton.

Nope, nobody uses em anymore.

Even if we remove the characters wearing martial arts uniforms you’ve still got ~17 characters you should logically hate, including 2 of the most popular: Bison and Chun (Sorry, chun’s outfit is centuries older than it would be for a woman practicing kung fu).

*fixed

Probably just showcasing all the characters in the SF universe. From minor to major.

Guess what? You can also buy a butter churn if you really want to.

But if you’re writing a modern story and having your characters making butter with a churn, then you’re a dipshit hack writer. Just like whoever put Cody in that outfit.

And the icon for a bomb is still a cannonball with a fuse on it. Does ANYBODY still fucking use bombs like that?

You know what else is iconic? Every racist stereotype ever. That doesn’t make them suitable for a story taking place in a modern setting. Just because something is iconic doesn’t mean it’s good.

Thank you, I forgot those two got entries as well… those two other ones are dead too right? >_>

Yeah this is what I’m thinking too about these character descriptions… like just brief bios of them all to give some insight.

A dead character getting an entry does not mean they are alive. It means Shadaloo has a file on them in their database.

You are right. Goutetsu is dead and he has an entry. They even mention that he was killed in his bio.

In a ideal world

Standard

Story

Premium

The only dead character that I honestly think is coming back is Chun’s dad, and it’s not because of any of the entries or Q conspiracy theories. Rather it’s because her SF4 prologues foreshadowed that there is more to the circumstances surrounding his death than we are lead to believe. Dorai is basically MIA (we saw him get kidnapped in Gen’s prologue) and his body was never found. From a literary perspective, they are obviously setting up his return or some big plot twist otherwise why bother going to the effort.

Same thing happened with Charlie’s revival. It wasn’t a big surprise to me because right there in his Alpha 2 ending Capcom sowed the seeds of his resurrection when they had Bison call off the search for his body because even if he returned he would now know the truth (referring to the corruption in his military). Charlie in Alpha 3 (according to Guile’s story mode) actually had Nash survive the Alpha 2 encounter but cut ties with his military superiors presumably because of the events of Alpha 2. Even in Alpha 3, Guile’s ending implies the possibility of Nash being alive and SF4 builds off this.

Now in SF5 we’ve been retconned back to Alpha 2 which is retarded because it would mean that Guile had been looking for Nash for several years instead of 6 months to a year in SF4.

Anyway this is beside the point, I think and I hope we’re not getting anymore non-sensical resurrections. Goutetsu, Go, Seth, and hopefully Dorai will stay dead.