The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

Was that even a rumor? its probably more of a misinformation or a speculation rather than a rumor. It had an elaborated detail about fans emailing Capcom of this and that. Can’t remember the source of the information. I have been reading the thread it did mention all about Capcom said the other wise. There could be a mistranslated and misunderstanding from interviewer, author and etc involve in those issues like the others said. Correct me if I’m wrong guys.

Like the reason why KO enable hitting in SF4 was taken down in another update. There where multiple information.

The Brazilian article indeed says that they want to develop a Brazilian female capoeira fighter.
However, CFN says they wanted to make Elena African from the start. Since she had long legs, capoeira fitted her figure the most. They also say that finding material for capoeira was not an easy task, because it wasn’t like today, when you can simply search for footage on the Internet and always find something; moreover, capoeira itself wasn’t so popular and widespread as today is. As soon as they found a capoeira gym, they went there and instantly confirmed their choice.
I’m more inclined to believe the Japanese, honestly.
Incidentally, the same article says nothing about Dudley’s ethnicity, simply stating that they wanted to do a representative of the “gentlemen’s sport”.
Neither they say anything about Sean, instead clarifying that he wasn’t present in the original draft and they were too late to include an unfinished Hugo. The game would’ve had too few characters for an initial roster, so they had the idea for a “joke character” with a clear handicap compared to the others, and voila Sean was made. Again, no specification about his nationality.
Also, I never doubted Rose’s nationality. So long is Italy’s history of invasions and raids by practically everyone that she could be very believably Italian even if she were a black blonde :rofl:
And don’t forget that she’s heavily based on Lisa Lisa,

Spoiler

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/jjba/images/b/b8/L_52441551a2d71.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130927230826

so you’re discussing the believability and ethnicity of characters designed by Japanese people to resemble other characters designed by other Japanese people to maybe vaguely mirror some stereotype they may have of people from other ethnicities. Come on, you know it’s a waste of time. :rofl:

To be honest, the impact of North Africa upon Italy is far from being minor. Italian language still has many words of Arabic origin (ragazzo, “boy”, from Medieval Moroccan Arabic رقاص raqqāṣ, “courier, postman”), and let’s not forget that Southern Italians got mixed with Northerners various times during history. The last “invasion” occurred throughout the 1900, when Southern workers moved up seeking job offers in Northern factories. Genoa wasn’t a secluded island, after all. The Genoese gladly traveled, or so I’ve heard.
Furthermore, Southern Italy was conquered by Normans and Spain as well… So a blonde Sicilian is anything but a rarity, despite the traditional stereotype of Southern Italians as black-haired, black-moustachioed heavily suntanned men.

Spoiler

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/open-uri20150422-20810-1x6cqfx_f866a67c.jpeg

I’ve never understood this “Gypsy” angle (that UDON inexplicably followed and exaggerated), because fortunetelling is certainly not a Romani exclusive (although they’re stereotyped as such, yes I know). And Romanis (aka Gypsies) aren’t exclusively Romanians. Many Romanis then moved to Italy from Romania and this sort of created an equation in Italians’ perception that this was the case, but… see below.

That in turn would’ve ended offending Romanians, albeit unfairly from their part. Romanians hate Gypsies, and they generally hate to be associated with them, sad as this may be.

May I remind you?

Honestly, that costume reminded me more of the typical dresses worn in Venice during the 16th Century, still popular in the city during carnival:

Spoiler

http://www.catiamancini.com/Dame/CostumeStorico356/images/dress%201700%20venice%20(15).JPG

Lastly, the fact Rose is Genoese is due to a clear reference to Isao Takahata’s anime 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. That anime was so popular in Japan that it constituted (and still constitutes, just look at how Maggio is dressed in CFN!), in fact, the primary source of stereotypes and perceptions that the Japanese had of Italians until JoJo arrived.
Even SNK’s Marco Rossi and Fiorina Germi came from it. Yeah, I know she’s supposed to be spelled FioLina, but they’re Japanese.
In fact, Marco Rossi and Fiolina Germi come from a double reference, to 3000 Leagues AND Hayao Miyazaki’s Porco Rosso, who also had a Marco (Pagot, a colleague and friend of Miyazaki) and Fio, likely a reference to the original 3000 Leagues’ Fiorina Peppino. SNK even turned 3000 Leagues Fiorina’s surname into the name of Fio’s teddy bear. Fio’s “Germi” surname came from renowned Genoese movie director Pietro Germi, well known in Japan as well.

@Cestus
I remember seeing a video called “who dat-Alex” that said he was design-wise, inspired by a member from Gun’N’Roses. Necro has similar mannerisms to Omega Red and given that Capcom was working on MVSF at the same time as SF3:2I, it’s highly plausible. Rose in A1/A2 looked more olive, like my skin colour.

For the user above, I remember reading that the Japanese rotoscoped footage of Capoeria fighters to help with animating Elena. For 12, I had a feeling he had some influence after I came across a image like that.

Yes. It has been said that SF3 originally wasn’t going to have ANY returning characters, and that Sean was meant to replace them.

And this doesn’t debunk that rumor at all. It just means the change could have happened earlier in development.

You easily could if those characters were just headswaps of a character you’d already programmed into the game. Which they were.

@Cestus @DarthEnder According to Akiman, when Alpha 2 was wrapping up development SF3 started to be worked on. Sakura was a concept (as in they wanted a school girl not the actual character) for SF3 but was switched to Alpha 2 as the higher-ups wanted a non-traditional character to contrast Nash and Rose. With that info in mind and the September 1996 E3 seems to convey that Ryu and Ken must have been added earlier, so the “no returning characters” rumour has little water. Notice how in the E3 trailer, Good fighter was playing with footage of only Dudley, Alex, Ibuki and Yun along with Ryu+Ken. Ergo, Sean could possibly have been one of the last characters but Elena, Necro and Oro must have come late as Necro doesn’t have Effie with him, Oro is missing animations that would become put in SF3:2I/3S, Yang is a sprite clone and Hugo was dummied out.

TLDR; SF3NG was a rushed game. And it’s likely that Sean was a resprite of Ryu.

Kinda off topic

Hi something about Linn Kurosawa, Since there was some talk with regarding her license ownership from the extra costume thread…

Looks like

I was kinda late to notice this this was late December last year that NECA was planning to release Her and Dutch.

Since the game title is under a brand name

Now we know the reason why we ended with sa tribute inspired character like the devs of Rage of Dragons did.

I think, given how weirdly energetic and bouncy the model’s idle animation is, it’s much more likely that Ken and Ryu are resprites of Sean.

Rushed? it’s technically designed in mechanics, I must say it was the most technical compared to SF2 and SFZ before SFZ3 while both characters illustrations and the animations was from scratch.

Capcom staff in SF dev were delicate with SF3 matters there was a story about Hugo why he was already been 2ndimpact but scrapped later.

Technical and design stand point… if were talking about “rushed” that would be the first line of crossover series… like Xmen versus SF and CVS1.

@The_Shakunetsu I do think, like SFA1, SF3:NG was probably a bit rushed. The terrible soundfont (not to the OST is bad but the sounds they used was low-fi) and wierd presentation makes me think this. The extremely short amount of time it took for a update was quite surprising at the time. Like I said several characters are missing key parts that 2I would add. Don’t think I have something against SF3 because that was my favourite era in SF. It’s true that Capcom took special care when making SF3:NG which resulted in a game with a unique charisma which was solidified by its intriguing characters and hidden dark undertones.

Everyone knows about XMVSF’s development hell. CVS1 wasn’t rushed, it was just a very boring and lazy game from the start. TBH the CVS series didn’t even accomplish it’s own goal which was to represent fighting games of each company. Not SF Vs SNK (feat Morrigan and 2 non-SF characters)

CvS2 has Eagle, and thus is perfect in every way!!

SvC probably did a better job showcasing the range of Capcom characters because you had the likes of Demitri, Firebrand/Red Arremer, and Zero. With the CvS games, many Capcom sprites were reused from Alpha/SF3, so that’s why the roster is so skewed.

@ES_Curse
Eagle in CVS2 is the reason why that game isn’t perfect, Cammy is the better UK rep. I always saw it as this:
SVC: more range of Capcom characters like MM, RE, DMC
CVS: Street Fighter, Final Fight, Rival Schools, Darkstalkers and a few Warzard/Power Stone. The only MM characters I can think would suit CVS would be classic MM characters (in other words, MM and Bass.)

I still can’t get over that Morrigan sprite in Darkstalkers in CVS.

@Cestus This explains Alex’s design influences from Guns’N’Roses as well as why Alex was effective as a new protagonist for SF3:

How can Cammy rep the UK if she isn’t from there?

Spoiler

Phantom, you’ve just been bumped off of the hit list

@ES_Curse There’s no other country, Cammy was associated with the UK in SF2, was given a southern British accent in the 3D games and even looks British.

Besides, Birdie and Dudley are better UK reps than Eagle could ever hope to be. Also, extra hate points for possibly being a gay pedo. (That CVS2 quote with Yun.)

Maybe we’ll see a new Capcom vs SNK, or a good new version of Capcom Fighting Jam some day. I don’t see Capcom trying to make deals with Marvel anymore after what happened with Infinite, but they’ll probably still want to try their luck with some VS game so that their fighting game department isn’t literally just Street Fighter and nothing else anymore.

@ES_Curse

@Phantom_Miria especially now that SNK has resurfaced and Akuma and Geese are in the new Tekken. My hopes for the game are:
Sprited
Delta Red Cammy
More characters from Final Fight, Darkstalkers and Rival Schools
Some Warzard or Power Stone characters
London stage and NYC stage in CVS2 remixed
2 new grooves from each side

There’s no chance for sprites, that stuff belongs to an bygone age as unfortunate it is to say.

With everything else I agree, the VS games are pretty much the only place nowadays where characters from older Capcom IPs can make a re-appearance.

@Phantom_Miria Those old characters appearing again could also help Capcom pull a PR stunt, if a character is well recieved then a another game could be possible. TBH certain characters (Strider, Zero, Chris Redfield and Haggar) need a long hiatus. One aspect I really liked about the pre-MVC1 era of the versus series is that they took themselves seriously enough and had pre-defined character pairs. Like Chun-Li and Spiderman due to similar story beats or Cammy+Rogue due to the identity crisis they face. It’d be nice to see that character team return again. E.G Omega Red+Necro. The OST style of MVSF with them taking showing another side of a character like the nostalgia of being a child/teen in Sakura’s MVSF theme or the melancholic tones throughout Omega Red’s theme. Please more of that than “WER AWSUM GIYS” cringe

Bullshit. It’s a clone body. Cammy is about as English as Bison is.

In Alex design you can find multiple influences… Hulk Hogan, Axel from GnR, Stallone (Rambo and a mini hint at Rocky too) and probably Axl from Final Fight too

Rarely a SF design is a 1 to 1 thing, think that a simple concept like Ryu got multiple different inspirations