The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

I wouldn’t exactly say the way Ryu was displayed in MVCI story is out of character. It’s refreshing to see him being more proactive than just being a karateka man who comes in to save the day or being a main target of the current baddie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-AecN1pkJU

Best thing you’ll watch today.

My boy Megaman X just had to be part of that travesty…

But, now that we are drawing near the last DLC character S2, I do wonder how the S3 is going to turn out. I am also somewhat curious about a possible follow up on the story, as well as the supposed arcade mode.

Bison to Dhalsim: “Get the fuck out of here, low tier trash”

SOLID GOLD!

I’m really hoping the Super SFV rumors are true and that we’re going to get arcade mode, Sagat and Sakura and the apparently improved netcode MvC:I has.

A man can hope, but hope is also the first step on the road to disappointment.

I always like to see Ryu as a character of initiative, team player and experienced not a strategic character and a trump card.

Some one who points vulnerability of assumed indestructible and invinsible opponents not by words and for direction but by actions through his fist then everyone follows to that opening that will turn the imposible tides of combat. I don’t want him the character that gives the final blow or the spotlight of power.

That’s the best character progression of Ryu that I could ever imagine upon as a avid Ryu fan without the trump card cliche that is boring and overated.

Him being the deus ex machina is tiring his meh standard of his character since there is no such thing supposed to be the superman and goku in SF franchise.

He should stay as a protoganist in backstories but he shouldn’t be the hero of the main plot or even backstories where he would be relevant.

Since Ryu is a character that represents not victory, power and strenght but hope through will, dedication, passion, patient and virtue by fist not words.

I like the way that Ryu talks to Hulk about management.

I would hate it if Capcom would turn the likes of Ryu and Akuma to be confused individuals or be someone trying to prove themselves to the world or to someones standard it makes them not to think like their age and experience.

Ryu has already establish his own character since SF2 and alpha so as progression he shouldn’t end up to be another wannabe trying hard copy cat anime or whatsoever popculture character to appeal momentarily.

Ryu isn’t a hero but he is a protoganist and an ideal person adored by skills and dedication not by relevance to achievements. The hero role should always be Chun, Guile, Nash and Gief.

1 Like

Looking at the concept art of MVCI makes me wish they went with this style in the game instead:

https://i.imgur.com/NDjYC2O.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c4JNOvS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1IQeLvj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TNhQnQU.jpg

I think this would’ve been the style we would’ve ended up with had Marvel had less influence over the direction of the game. The MCU direction is ass and doesn’t belong in a Vs game; especially a series that’s known for its colorful atmosphere. Captain Marvel looks great in that style along with the others. Instead of a cool artstyle like that, we get a bunch of cinematic nonsense and orchestral themes that sound like they’re straight from an MCU movie. Marvel should just go back to negotiating the characters instead of trying to make Marvel Vs Capcom the console version of Contest of Champions.

That’s because everything looks better cel-shaded.

Agree the best visual so far of this era is cel shading.

Still hoping for a Capcom all star game that would make that style into reality.

So this game has art after all.
I guessed that Marvel might have made pressure to make the game look more inspired by the movies. It looks like it didn’t turned out as expected.

I guess these are in the game itself, right?

Yeah, in Collection Mode. There’s more that I’ll post later.

This is about the only art that actually looks good. Those 3D renders are ass.

These look like something can remember me a japanese game, not a bad start

But final result? Will touch none of that final product crap, MvC is dead after MvC2 to me lol

BUT that’s me tbh i’m not mad at all about it, specially considering half cast is from american comics, westernization can be coherent move… was fun see some marvel chars redesigned in SFA capcom style in older games, but that’s it, nothing to jizz about

Now Capcom vs SNK, THAT was an awesome crossover

But even that one better be in the past, i don’t trust much modern SNK compatibility with Capcom style… old school SNK of FF and early KoF sure, but not 2017

Tekken is the closest cousin these days, and SFxTK has been mediocre shit

I’m curious to see TKxSF by Namco

Overall as much i see internet hating and negativity i like how SF hold up.
SF has been a disaster in many ways, and blind peoples making these mistakes don’t deserve the dedicated fans they SF have… but still, at least SF is still the SF we love. Older, tired, but SF.

At that i’m much more mad at the crap % (33,3% i say) of western hybridization they forced in SFV art style, rather than the whole useful MvC series being turned in the current fuming pile of crap

And in b4 think i’m calling for some crazy cell shading super anime Street Guilty Fighter… i said 33 for a reason, major part of SFV base IS legit.
Game is few steps away from look awesome as it is, even if sadly this distance will not change.

Well, 66,6% of something awesome still look good

WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT?! Nooo…it’s too lataaaargh high-pressure anime blood shoots out of face

You guys didn’t know this? I mentioned way back Ryu understands quantum physics. He even mentions how the Shinkuu Hadoken draws from the power of Vacuum energy in SF3

“The ultimate form of wave motion attack… Shinkuu… the power of vacuum energy!”

1 Like

Does he REALLY understand physics though? Or does he just misunderstand how household cleaning devices work?

I used to Ryu a lot more in the past. I especially liked him in his CVS2 and SFII incarnation.

You would think the characters know how their own techniques work. Other characters like one armed cave hermits having been written to supposedly know aboutCalabi-Yau manifolds isn’t probably something most people would expect him to know about just by looking at him.

Tbh Oro have like 120 years (random number) and may have meet any kind of capcom Einstein in the '40/'50s for what we know, and maybe passed 6 years in a cave just meditating about some concept… him having some surprising deep understanding of the universe and it’s energies is part of the character and one of the coolest way to see it

Fun thing from same mini-story you see Dhalsim (older and wiser than Ryu) being unable to understand Oro’s thoughts

Oro is about having/BEING a mystery, as you can expect from a centenary Sennin able to use telekinesis, ridicolous complex ki techniques and secret arts that work directly on his body

Ryu is much much straightforward, it work well because you expect him to be what you see

In SFV he just had his first advanced understanding of hado ways, and tbh it’s not crazy deep theory-wise

Man, mvci would’ve looked so much better if they got rid of chromatic abberaion period (makes the game look Super blurry) and applied at least SOME shading to the character models, as well as slightly improving the gamma or color saturation or contrast

One dude posted this a while ago

https://i.imgur.com/DbnxBdl_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/zJ5yhxj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Which one is the one we got as opposed to what we could get? The one above looks better, IMO. The game lacks spirit regardless.