The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

The real issue for me was how he was portrayed in ASF.

He just came off as robotic. It reminded me of Drax the Destroyer from Marvel. Not sure how he is now, but when going by his older portrayals, he’d just calmly sit there and do nothing most of the time. Any mention or sighting of Thanos made him turn wild. He was created to kill Thanos, so it makes sense.

That’s basically what Nash was in ASF. He responded when spoken to, but he didn’t have much more to say other than he wanted to decimate Bison. No cool moment between him and Guile or anything. Rashid tried to create convo, but Nash kept looking at him with an empty look before giving him shortly worded answers.

Now if it was the Nash that was portrayed in Character Story, I think his showing would’ve been a lot better. That Nash had personality. Mean as hell, but he came off as a guy who was just consumed with vengeance rather than being robotic. He gripped up Ed, fought F.A.N.G., and personally seeked out Ryu to learn more about his powers and the Satsui no Hado. That was the Nash I wanted in ASF. Not just that, but even his win quotes in Vs had far more personality than he did in ASF.

Vs Mode/Character Story Nash are one in the same. That zombie-like Nash in ASF came from somewhere else entirely.

Anyone know where I can read Ryu Final online (english). I Actually own the japanese version (broughtnit as am investment lol didnt work out). Would be useful to know what the characters are saying to each other

Yeah.
Lots of wasted potential with Nash, and especially wasted potential on his reunion with Guile.

Can we produce an exceedingly contrived excuse to resurrect him a second time and give him another shot?

I was hoping that ol’ Chuck would have amped up and woken up to his rageful, driven character story part. I was expecting finally seeing Bison, Guile or Chun li would spark something, but…nadah. I was hoping for a tiny acknowledgement of Chun Li and Charlie’s past, but even in the quotes there’s nothing. :confused:

All of this is why I’m hoping Charlie’s story isn’t truly done, because he was underutilized despite being in several scenes in what should have been his swan song. (Don’tGoOnKarinRantDon’tGoOnKarinRantDon’tGoOnKarinRant…grrrrrrrr)…

Got you covered fam:

1. The explosion destroyed most, if not all of Charlie’s body, but his burning vengeance was not enough to put him at rest. Now, in a final bit of irony, he matches Bison in that, he’s a wandering spirit. Willing himself back to his “saviours” he quietly observes them until the right moment to strike. The development of 12 is plagued by minor problems until Charlie decides to inhabit the empty husk. After mindwipes and few recon missions, he realizes his time to strike is now. With a glint in his eye he silently smiles as he has gained new skill and power to retake his destiny. [Not my idea path, but it would be interesting to see that it’s Charlie’s influence that makes 12 finally gain self awareness in his ending.

2. Cheap N’ Easy. Charlie was never in the events of ASF, it was an 11 clone. Cheap, not as easy, but good potential and not as wasteful for his time in ASF: Charlie’s spirit was in the 11 clone as his perfected body was being worked on, as the end of ASF approached his world went white in the failed Bison execution. He awoke back in the labs days later. Kolin, realizing this soldier was no longer of immediate use, put the tortured man back on ice for another day, another role and another project. [From my understanding, Charlie was supposed to beat Bison and be some sort of champion for the Illuminati. Either he’s no longer needed and put on ice till he can be recycled, or they’re shocked at Ryu’s win over Bison, but still have plans (field duty or propaganda) for Charlie.

3. Cheap, weird, controversial. He was blasted and scarred from the explosion but not dead. Later retrieved and reconstructed, he, still in pain, rage, and recovering, has become a bitter hulk. Escaping and quickly becoming a creature of myth, Q is born. (I want Q to be his own character, and the more I look at things, the less I think he’s somehow Agent David, pulling a fast Clark Kent © on his colleagues, making Q Charlie would be weird, but kinda do able, but it would require him to become infamous in MONTHS since SF3 is months away at this point.

I dunno, just ramblings on my part, but I want Charlie back.

I’m okay with him being a frankenstein or like that but it’s not my preference though cause I prefer him normal looking.

The thing that I dislike the most is the HUGE stitches. That one should have not been like exaggerated or like the cartoons it’s like Secret Society is on low budget project for there so called prophecy.

The new moves are better in animation makes him independent with Guile but it pays tribute to whom he was.

The story should have make him survive and been an anti hero his one of the most sleek characters in his Alpha days. I dislike his revenge and suicide thing but I 'm okay not him beating Bison. His death wasn’t even something that makes the transition of the next battle to be interesting dramatic and uplifting climatic moment.

After his death it should have been a Guile moment or spotlight after to take part and fight Bison but meh they go straight to Ryu. I prefer them the last part as Ryu to be late then helping/assisting Guile or Guile fighting Bison toe to toe while Ryu give a finishing blow. Dealing with multiple characters at once makes Bison more powerful. They could even add Dhalsim to mix. Having each character arriving in a different time makes it not something that is staged and expected.

I really like how A3 did with Bison and E.Ryu against Sagat, Ken and Sakura) that shows them how ahead they are even being defeated because they didn’t defeat them by overpowering or being greater them. The big baddies is just outnumbered and confused by multiple instances that’s the same with the Viper with SF4 Aftermath.

There are several ideas I have read in this thread about Charlie from what if returning and I believe the consciousness and awareness back-up that cause transference to a clone or his real body is the best deal for smooth return he deserve. Like Superior Spiderman and Superior Doc Oct saga in the Marvel.

I hope in that state he is fully much moved on away from Shadaloo. In his return he should be now aware with his previous mistake and errors that not everything is about risk and determination while focusing with the Secret Society but with caution not relentlessness.

Makes ya wonder what the original plan was to revive Nash.

We know Eleven’s vessel was needed to speed up the process, but I have a feeling the other way would’ve probably been a more complete process. The only issue was it would’ve took too damn long to complete.

I think only Bison can pull off the “I WANT MY BODY NOW” thing and still succeed.

Wasn’t Nash even bitch-slapped by Urien or something? Not that Urien is not a worthy opponent, but seriously they treated Nash as a dirty rag to punch away, never gave him a moment to shine. It was such a disservice to his character.

I don’t mind that Nash has a completely different personality after being brought back from the dead. That’s understandable.

I mind that they brought him back after so many years just to IMMEDIATELY kill him again.

The actually bad thing is that he was completely useless from his rebirth to his second death. He accomplished nothing and was made look like a wimp the whole time.

The final battle feels like staged, The SFV trailer in fact did better like many had mentions earlier in this thread because that fight includes Cammy and Ken that gives more edge to both Nash and Bison at the same time.

They are up against a madman like Bison that is extreme powerful it isn’t a tournament or something just a personal that people trying to prove to each other, There mission was to save the world in a limited time so the personal agenda should be Nash alone in that moment not to Guile and the rest of the cast.

Chun li to stay besides Li fen is fine she needs to rest is after saving Li fen from Fang. While the rest seems meh.

Nash’s impact on the last fight against Bison is still up for speculation, but if you play the general story mode on hard, then you can see Bison at a 80% life when Ryu fights him, which means Nash DID some damage to him. Still a pretty bad narrative, though. I was utterly disappointed by how they treated Nash the whole time in the general story. I actually liked the idea of him being brought back to life by the Illuminati and what he would have accomplished. I was OK even with tying the loose ends between him, Abel and Guile and then see him still die the way he did, but no… All we got was exchanged looks between Guile (who wasted his entire life for Nash, only to think “it might be a trap” when he saw him after all those years) and Nash, either. And there was absolutely nothing between Abel and Nash. Are we still supposed to believe Nash saved Abel during the Alpha era? Maybe they retconned that to take place in ASF, since Nash is doing the saving there and Abel doesn’t even seem to know who the heck Nash is from before.

The only redeemable thing about Nash and Guile bromance was the dogtag, which is, sadly, the only interaction between the two.

I think he’s in debt or broke regardless, since he doesn’t like math in all. It not like he was counting his cash as it rolled in…

If only Capcom knew that…

But they brought him back knowing full well that he will die. Ed tells him when he first see him. Kolin tells him. He felt it. Nash was never meant to live. Nash actually surviving makes Guile’s whole backstory redundant. In the CGI trailer they made it symbolically clear that he will die also. I don’t see him how one can ‘mind’ this when Capcom has made it abundantly clear that he’s back to try to do one thing and one thing only.

He could still come back if the Illuminati finds him purpose, but he couldn’t even do the one thing they wanted him to and Gill had to rationalize Ryu beating Bison instead of his chosen knight. I don’t see Nash coming back, he was vaporized. Maybe as a machine like in MVC he could.

That 20% was only the Illuminati-Power explosion, as Bison completely recovered with satellites from the damage (% ?) he suffered during the short fight/round that Nash won.
Also Nash likely wasted part of his Illuminati-Power to “exorcise” Abel

Not saying that Nash will had success with his assassination mission or not, but he seem to believe that the satellites restoring Bison (“too late” when they was shut down) are the reason his Gill-powered explosion will not destroy him

Not saying that Nash round damaged Bison to 80%, more like Nash knowing that a restored Bison will resist/tank the explosion much better (just 20%) than a weakened/injuried one

Said that this probably don’t change much the outcome of Ryu-Bison fight, as SFV Bison seem just to have no chances vs SFV (endgame) Ryu.

Ryu won both the fight and the successive exchange of energy attacks, after wich he seem still perfectly fine (and have still energy to throw dat huge “protective hadouken” on Chun… and soon after give Ken’s theyr best sparring/fight)

This.

The Gill-explosion tool they gave him was a straight kamikaze attack, sacrifice life to inflict the maximum damage
Also tbh SFV Nash is not really “alive” to begin with

Agree we audience were conditioned to accept his death in ASF and his individual story mode from Kolin and Ed. Capcom should at least done better after the Nash death into a phase that is climatic and dramatic with Guile or with other veterans not just a Ryu climax and power-up event.

1- I don’t think it’s a money reason, i think it’s more about Shadaloo HQ being built in essential militar style… probably Bison himself have relatively small private area/bedroom (but entire HQ is essentially his home)

About sharing the same room i think it started when Ed has been just kidnapped by Rog, as way to control him and prevent escape attempts.

Then they likely agree to keep this habit as it’s the moment they can plot theyr shit without shadaloo (Fang specially) spying them

Money wise his story alt hint he can afford pricy shit, tbh if they did’nt gone SF2 nostalgia stage i will have been ok if they gave him some Vegas stage looking like this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ruy5gKISh50/sddefault.jpg

2- Serioulsy fat peoples should stop pick Zangief, low dat bodyfat or go cosplay Rufus lol