The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

You guys realize Capcom are only making bios for characters they own the rights for right?

Also Ugly Vega lol

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cannonspike/balrog.png

Kevin Straker

Good morning. This time it will be I, privateer Numenda, in charge of Side-scrolling action games, doing the presentation.
It’s Kevin Straker, protagonist of Street Fighter 2010!

What? Who?
I think there are many people coming with the aforementioned questions,
so I’m going to do a simple exposition.
It’s a game published in 1990 for home consoles,
that sported the name “Street Fighter” even before
the arcade edition of “Street Fighter II” (1991).

It was not a fighting game, but a side-scrolling action
in the same vein of “Megaman”, “Ghouls 'n Ghosts” and “Strider”.
Its setting is in a parallel Universe in respect to SF.

Name: Kevin Straker
Height: 180cm
Weight: 160kg
Blood Type: Unknown
Birthday: February, 15
Country of Origin: USA
Favorite things: Justice, Peace
Dislikes: Parasites

He’s a galactic policeman, in a 2010 Earth where humankind has started to colonize
other planets, fighting against brutal criminals who implant themselves with “armored insects” named “Parasites”. His codename is MX-5.

As weapons, he could use energy sonic bullets
shot from his punches and kicks,
and an emergency evasive flip jump (a back somersault).
During the flip, he is totally invincible,
and if he has taken shield capsules,
he can shoot flip shields from his feet
in a combination of defence and offence!

Kevin fought to annihilate all Parasites,
but soon started feeling an intense pain in his body.
Why could a cyborg like him
feel such a pain…?

Incidentally, in the USA version,
“Kevin” became “Ken” (!).
After winning the Street Fighter tournament,
he triumphantly returned to his country and enrolled at a university (!).
After 25 years (!)¹,
he once again fights
to find the culprit who killed his friend Troy!
(of course, this is in a parallel setting, too…)

This game had peculiar mechanics, and was rather difficult.
Although the main weapon were projectiles,

“You can’t shoot straight”
“You can’t shoot far”
“If you duck, you can’t shoot”

that made their use rather tricky!

If you could make it all the way to total power-up, it was fun!
But a single damage taken would result
in the loss of your power-ups!
As typical of Capcom’s action games, there was no mercy for the distractions!

Initially you can’t clear the game without continuing,
but once you got used to it you could go all the way
without a single continue.
But even after having attained the ability to do it without a continue,
it was an inhumane task to clear the game without taking a single damage.

The more you played it, the more you could see its beauty!

¹ I can hear the Japanese LOLing at every exclamation mark.

I used to remember myself when video games, anime, cartoons and movie is all that I got as references. I used to see Bison as a martial artist that can use mind control and can revived himself using technology, Gill was kinda the guy that has elemental attacks and can reanimate himself using magic in NG but in other SF3 titles when he got other SA he had become something more to me but not as terrifying with final bison’s time stopping Psycho Crusher… and the last but not the least Akuma who could instantly kill everyone… those things were just what seperates them for the rest of the cast… until now Bison is still something better for me than akuma and gill. I even think that Necali is also un-killable.

Nowadays since they made SF now more than martial artist and mystic from the storymode, Someone would wonder why wouldn’t Capcom just make Cody break away from his handcuffs or stay in prison for sometime. They can pull in a explaination about Cody’s personal preferences that to justify the strength level of the SF cast (Chunli and Karin). I hope they would elaborate more about sharp objects not piercing them hard.

If ever Capcom would guest a character it shouldn’t be supernatural or too futuristic… at least it should be a martial artist or a mystic.

So SF2010 has two parallel universes where one hero is named Kevin, and then another where Ken from SF is actually the hero?

I have been observing Poison’s Special Moves in CFA. It’s easy to notice that CFA, FFR and USF4 have a very different version and interpretation of Poison.

Does she/he have loketest videos available online?

I have seen in the trailer that somehow the spinning and turning multiple punch attack going upward could be “Revolving Front”?

Kinda similar attack of Bison’s Scissors Kicks that could be “Vertical Cut”? Unlike the USF4’s Love Me Tender which is short range?

The other one from the magazine scans or manuals online? is a leap charging kick

or somewhat same with krauser’s that could be “Pointed Heel”?

Some special moves were kinda based from CPU controlled Poison and Roxy in the original final fight.

Any idea with “Secret Desire”?

I think you’re reading too much into it. Because the entry is written from the perspective of a Shadaloo soldier from inside the SF universe, they’re just calling the different localizations “parallel universes”.

Ya, I get it they’re both parallel universes from that specific perspective. I just need to know if “Ken” from SF is actually recognized as part of the SF2010 canon or not so I know whether to add a SF2010 section to the new plot guide or not.
I asked Migs a question on which context he’s translating in that specific part, and I dont expect a half ass answer from you regarding it because usually its shortsighted or wrong regardless. Sorry if im being such a dick, I just need straight answers to put into the new plot guide and not bs, thank you.

I think the second mention to a parallel universe is just there to remind that the game is not canon even though Ken is in the USA version. I would guess that USA SF2010 is simply non-canon to Japan SF2010.

Explaining localization differences through parallel universes seems unnecessary. It would be like saying that there is a parallel universe where Bison is called Balrog, Balrog is called Vega, and Vega is called Bison.

Just the impression I get from Miðgarðsorm’s translation.

Well eat a dick too, buddy. It was a dumb fucking question.

If there are two parallel universes, one where he’s Kevin, and one where he’s Ken, based on absolutely nothing besides the separate localizations, then that means there’s also now two separate SF2 universes, one where Cammy is Bison’s clone, and one where she’s he’s former lover. Because that’s what the article is jokingly suggesting, and you’re taking seriously.

No hard feeling dude I just wanted straight answers and not speculation. Plus if you believe in multiverse theory then each ending would create an alternate universe no matter how ridiculous. It doesn’t matter to me and the plot guide, I just wanna know what related to SF and what’s not.

Well, it’s not like my dumb speculation is going to somehow prevent Mid from answering you.

You guys were bitten by a radioactive Vasili.

Every time I read Darth’s posts, I read them with House’s voice in mind. I just had a weird moment of imagining House saying “eat a dick” and I almost choked on my juice because of it.

Also you’re correct about this. None the less, from what Im translating from it Im getting mixed vibes since its being mentioned in the first place. You might see it as a joke and all, but since its being mentioned in these profiles in the first place I wanna know if canon Ken is or isn’t in SF2010 in terms of a parallel story. Its not a dumb question, its legit if you’re not taking everything someone says at face value.

They better not leave Simone out… hope she makes it into SF V later down the track. She has such a cool design.

Parallel universe sound just a gentle version of “Capcom USA did’nt understand shit lulz lulz”

I like to believe this man was responsible of it

Actually it will even make sense since he mistake every blond char for Ken Masters

Capcom make SF2010(murica) to be canon a mental trip of Rufus pls

Somebody start a petition

I hope she gets an entry, but I have no interest in seeing her in SF5.