The Hollywood sexual harassment thread. Here, "horny" stands for "hands off right now, you!"

wait wait…
Lupita got touched by this Hut?!?!
he must die now.

i think youre simplifying.
you gotta understand just how hard it is to get your foot through the door.
showbiz isnt about how talented you are. how skilled you are at your craft.
its about who you know.
i’ll give you a perfect example of what i mean.

this fat fuck…
and im not saying he isnt talented…
but this fat fuck was best friends with Dustin Hoffman’s son…and he and Hoffman’s son would make prank phone calls and Hoffman would walk in the room and lol at his stupid shit.
next thing he knows Dustin Hoffman invites him to read for part in a movie.
boom.
he’s in the door, in A list movies, and making millions.

there are dudes, who spent years in acting classes, went to school majoring in theater, working odd jobs to pay bills while they try their hardest to make a name for themselves in off off broadway plays…
who are true, dedicated thespians who sincerely believe that acting is an art form and consider themselves the utmost practitioners of their craft…
who will never ever ever find themselves even in a 30 second commercial let alone a full length film.

and this fat fuck gets in the door for amusing Dustin Hoffman with stupid unfunny prank phone calls in his house.

thats Hollywood.
thats life.
in that particular art form(theater/acting) its 90% luck and 10% talent. unlike other art forms like fine arts, music, and writing where your talent actually has a direct consequence on how far you get in life.

if life gave you these two choices:
A)suck Weinstein’s dick and get a movie deal, get millions of dollars, and be set for life
or
B)continue doing it the honest way, keep busting tables as a waiter all day long so you can act in a way off off off off broadway dingy theater, getting paid shit not only as a waiter but as an actor too, for 10 to 15 straight years after taking a million acting classes and having graduated college with a diploma in theater/thespian. only to have to quit your dream because no producer/director ever got a chance to see your acting prowess due to how obscure your performances were in no man’s land town…

trust me.
you are sucking dick to get in that door.

edit:
im a painter/fine artist.
ive been one for 20 years.
this winter i am going to attempt to sell my hundreds of paintings at soho tribeca…
but i have to be practical and realistic.
mozart, van gogh, frans hals, and rembrandt died broke and bankrupt…and they were gods in the art world.
even if you are the most talented motherfucker at your craft…
you can still die broke and in obscurity.
talent doesnt automatically gift you the world.
you can be mozart good and still die broke and remain an unknown.

2nd edit:
and before you ask me the theoretical question…
if i would suck dick to get into the door of success as a painter in soho/tribeca
i will answer.
not only would i suck dick…i’ll fucking murder your whole family and wear their skin while dancing a jig if it meant getting out of these damn projects, out of my mom’s apartment, off government assistance, and finally have some money in my bank account that isnt pennies and nickels.
in a heartbeat without giving it a second thought.

not everyone was born as John Voight’s daughter. not everyone was born that lucky.

General discussion doesn’t seem as popular as it was back in the day. Site been on the decline?

Nvm

Since 2009 and SFIV.
Add the advent of reddit, discord, facebook and sites like eventscrubs

Hollywood is a crazy place. Just look how long it took to get this information to the public, or what people are classifying as an open Hollywood secret.

It reminds me of the Penn State football coach sexual abuse scandal.

Adding to stockyjam’s post, I have a very talented friend of mine that moved out to CA to be an actor after graduating from college. I consider him one of the most talented people I have ever known and he did all he could to make it work (joined a union, constant interviews etc). The highlight of his career was saying two sentences on an episode of Law & Order.

Connections will always trump talent in Hollywood.

I get the joke but for the sake of balance, I have to step in and say there is always a difference between sex and rape. While not on the level of Hemsworth, a pretty rapist like former NFL player and analyst, Darren Sharper, still caught time for his shit.

And guess what? That’s your & the people who want to get into showbiz prerogative. I’m a firm believer they everyone has a choice in the career they pursuit.

I’m a amateur writer and you can bet your ass I would love to be a writer for a production company here in ATL, but would I sell my soul for that position? Fuck no!

Why is it simplified? Because it’s just that simple, you have a choice. . .always remember that.

Buried beneath the sickening story of Harvey Weinstein’s abuse is another story — the problem of casting women by their fuckability — and who that leaves out.

Only 2 or 3 of them actually claimed to have been raped. There’s a difference between rape and sexual harassment.

Regardless, if someone wants to get into a difficult business like hollywood and you have some fat slob like Weinstein filling the casting sheets with people he’s fucked rather than people who are the best for the role, that’s a problem. It means that the folks who wind up watching the movies may not be getting the best quality films (which doesn’t seem to matter given some of the scripts, but hey.) Weinstein gave them the choice, and some of them took it. There are probably a lot of actresses you see every day that took him up on the offer, whereas the ones who are speaking up are the ones who told him to go fuck himself.

That’s the most troubling thing too. We may never really know how many did take him up on his offer, assuming he wielded real power. If he made good on his promises at all, then at least SOME of those who did are stars now. What actress is going to reveal that? No matter how good she actually is, the knowledge that she sucked and/or fucked for one of her big breaks will follow her around for at least a few years.

Absolutely. Entertainment is a tough business because there’s no real regulation and when someone does something like what Weinstein did, it’s hard to get them because courts aren’t always going to be able to make a case, and there’s no HR department to run to. Actors are probably 1099’ed by the studios so it’s not like they’re employees in the strictest sense.

Weinstein isn’t getting ousted because of all the accusers that came forward, he’s getting ousted because his colleagues refuse to cover up and protect him anymore. Let that sink in…

Apparently this isn’t common knowledge that girls have to sleep with sleazy movie producers to get their roles? They even explicitly show this in movies and television.

Are people going to be more surprised when they find out that girls can sleep their way up corporate ladder?

Should I change the title somehow to include all the entertainment industry’s revelations of sexual harassment? Or keep it Hollywood? Stuff is coming in that isn’t 100% movie/tv/film related, but still in the entertainment industry.

There was a mega-chef who owned a series of famous restaurants, John Besh, who stepped down thanks to sexual harassment allegations.

Now, Terry Richardson, a famous photographer who has had allegations in the past, is officially blackballed starting this week.

Those are just two minor examples.

Screen Junkies talk about the future without Andy Signore

Maybe, but consider how much of their lives these young people (it’s not just girls) may have invested into starting their acting careers. They might have spent all their money/taken out loans on classes/college/moving to california/etc. before being faced with something like this. Surely some of them didn’t have a reliable family to fall back on either.

Many were underage when it happened to them as well.

Me: "Yo. Mr. Weinstein. I have an idea for a new show. It’s called,“The Hollywood Hoes.” "
Harvey: “Do it. I don’t even need to hear the script.”

-Starhammer-

What did Andy do

What?!