The Future of King of Fighters

I know KOF XIII just came out… but has there been any word of a KOF XIV? Or any other SNK game like a Metal Slug sequel or the like? It just seems that with the recent rash of SF2-ish titles out (and we still have a Tekken X SF coming out) as well as a DOA5 and the recently released SCV… has there been any words of anything KOF related? I mean, I really think any hope of a Capcom VS SNK 3 is gone… and since the release of the unfinished KOF XII we already knew a XIII was gonna be made… but since this game does officially wrap up the Ash storyline… where do they go from there? Is XIII the LAST KOF?

SNK Playmore said that if KOFXIII failed to do well, that this would be the last they do.

So, unless their expectations were as high as the expectations for ET on the Atari 2600 (or Capcom’s expectations for Dragon’s Dogma), I think it’s pretty safe that we’ll get a new KOF - especially seeing as they just dolled out that new arcade update for XIII, Climax. It’s pretty safe to say SNK hasn’t given up on it.

As long as the community hasn’t given up on KoF also…and shouldn’t this go to the KoF subforum?

Honestly if SNK dies and Capcom continues to put trash out like SFXT then I’m through with fighting games. It just would mean this community was all talk about wanting to support KOF XIII, all blow, no go and a bunch of cheap whores for anything Capcom cums on their mouths but they aren’t willing to support a game that catered to them.

Wait… KOF XIII Climax??? What??? Any new characters???

Climax is an arcade update that applies the balance changes from the console port if I’m not mistaken

It adds the console characters (Billy, Saiki, EX Iori, EX Kyo, Mr. Karate) and some balance changes.

Aw man… but at least it keeps KOF’s name revelant in the arcades… seriously… all I see these days are boring shootings and that dance dance crap. I wanna kick some ass in the fighting scene.

KOF community is small. But strong, there’s alot of dedicated people in it whether you see it or not.

As much as people hate on MLG. I’m still happy to see them have interest in promoting the game. There will be some sick KOF players there at the MLG tourney. They could possibly raise more interest to more viewers & players from the MLG tourney.

Not to mention Final Round had a great showing for KOF. Which was big for the KOF community. Still piss I couldn’t afford it to go. >=(

Prep probably get at it in a min.

What that matters at the end of the day for SNK is not how good their game is but how much $$$$$ they make… and if the console version of KOFXIII didn’t sell well enough it wouldn’t be because of people at SRK not supporting them but because of the awful timing of its release. It’s released at a month not just with UMvC3 but also a bunch of killer games like Skyrim, MW3, AC, Uncharted 3, Assassins Creed 3 etc. And soon after that you have SCV and SFxT being released to take away all the attention KOFXIII could have received. Had they released the game months earier when there’s a gap to be filled by those unhappy with AE, MvC3 and MK9 they would have done much better. So if SNK dies it’s their own fault, and nobody could have saved them from their pathetic business senses. And now they are trying to release a new Neo Geo Pocket, do you think they could make money from it?

I hope that’s true, but I also think that they are doing it because they couldn’t get Capcom’s support, and now they want to make the other community events look like "Capcom Events"
Hopefully they truly are interested in helping the KOF scene, but only time will tell.
Anyway, fighting games are still more like a side event at MLG, and that’s never going to get more hype than a room dedicated only to fighting games like our grassroots events.

I don’t think they are making it in house, they licensed their property to someone else.

Yup, and besides future big tourney’s that"ll have KOF as a main event thats all we have going as far as I know.

Capcom & Namco run events and promote there games much better then SNK. There running tourneys like this $500,000 in prizes whatever thing?* (Correct me if im wrong)*, and have people that work worth them that are heavily involved with there community ( Seth, Max, & etc.)

SNK doesn’t have much or any of that.

The bottom line is that the arcade version came out on 07/14/10… there was time for them to release the console version at a much less competitive period. Instead they choose to release it on Nov 2011 which they should know is a bloody competitive month. A month which they need to avoid releasing a game at all costs.

The game still sold well. It sold about 100K copies, on par with the U.S. release of Catherine. That’s nothing to sneeze at.

There is a strong debate about this, because the same happened with UMVC3, in my personal opinion the game had some months without competition and Atlus did a good job promoting the game, is obvious that some games will have some less attention when we see new AAA titles, but i think this game appeal to a different set of players and the game still gets nice support from the community, the thing that hurts the game is the online because is unreliable (although 4 bars conections are still decent for some people), some people in my region are still getting the game because is cheaper (you can even get it for $30) and is one of the best 2D fighters this gen, only time will tell, but i’m still optimistic about seeing another KoF game.

I agree, and this is something that i can’t understand at all, i think is a bad move and they should cancel this proyect.

To continue from what I was saying thats why im hoping this MLG shit turns out for the better.

Because thats really the only big thing we have going now compared to other Company FG events.

Furthermore, considering XIII netcode im sure it will effect the future of KOF for most people who count on internet play as there main grinding standpoint to get better.

Its not terrible, but bad to the point were it can drive these type of people off to go play SFxT that has rollback, or AE which has Average to Good netcode, or BB. I’ve seen it happen.

Netcode whether people like it or not *( I dont) *plays a big part on a fighting games growth this era. Lucky for me I’m in a area where some people really do like the game. Many others are unfortunate.

Is that how much it sold on it’s first month?

Didn’t know KoF might be on the way out. I just picked up XIII today, my first KoF game.

Lol,

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-irtHpkPpJ7M/T2q1LnkDF6I/AAAAAAAADc4/HOh_h1U4Hps/s512/08.jpg

Valle Just announced on WNF there having KOF as a Main Event on Thursdays. He wants the game to get more recognition.