The Future of King of Fighters

Good on Valle…

KoF XIII sales seem pretty good for a non-Capcom/Namco fighter.

It just got announced that Level Up is doing a Thursday Night Fights with UMvC3 and KoF XIII.

Other fighters are losing steam and KoF is building it.

As far as i know there is no official info yet about sales numbers, the only thing i know is that the game sold out on Japan the first week and the game had a nice reception on the west, so i think the number that lois is mentioning is more or less accurate.

VG charts is a joke, i don’t believe anything there.

Source please?

As long as the community doesn’t vanish like it has in the past and SNK makes good games like this one the future is good.

Knowing how long it took to reach 100k would give us a solid clue on how well it did. It’ll suck if that 100k were lifetime sales.

That 100 k is not lifetime sales rest assured.
I had the lost the page where I read how much.
And no it was not vgcharts.
All I have to say to everyone is tell your friends in real life and online a friends bout
kof if they dont know about it, shit tell yo mama and baby sister about it!! Get the word out!
If ur at an arcade and playing mvc or whatever tell the guy next to you, ever play kofxiii?
send a message to all ur recents on xbl or psn. Get a megaphone and go to the mall and preach. Lmao

Dream match never ends!!!"!"

well, isnt like that usually?

No, the reason why the main events at community events are usually Capcom games, isn’t because the event themselves are “Capcom Events”, its because the vast majority of players in the US play Capcom games.
If the number of KOF players outnumbered Street Fighter at EVO, then KOF would be the main event.
That hasn’t happened, but the communities are growing so much that it could be totally possible within the next few years.

The Road to EVO events are COMMUNITY events, and currently, in the community there’s more Capcom players than other games, that’s why they are the main stage.

What I think is strange is that MLG picked exactly the non Capcom games of the EVO LineUp.
No Blazblue or Skullgirls who also deserved support, but the EVO lineup minus Capcom games, and they’ve already said they couldn’t get Capcom’s support, and that’s why they’re not running Capcom events.

I wish the best for KOF because I absolutely love the franchise, but I can’t help to be a little skeptic about MLG for now.

inb4 EVO seeding points given to MLG events

The thing is, KOF is a very good game, but mainly on a very dedicated niveau of gaming.
That is good for a “small” amount of players, who like to win due to their skills, and dislike any “comeback” mechanics favoring the inferior player and like to have some strict and demanding execution.

But for the casual palyer KOF, perhaps doesnt offer that much, and thus, isn’t much attractice. You have to spend a lot of time to really train the simplest combos, and then you must spend a lot of more time to really doing these in a match. That is not, what the casual player wants to do, it makes no “fun”. The most players want to play the game just for fun, mashing a view buttons, have easy combos and a lot of specials or super specials for taking a lot of life with easy inputs.

I for myself love KOF13, but I couldn’t imagine playing it with my friends who have virtually no experience with fighting games in intention of “esport”.
For these (normal people, who perhaps should be the main target for the fighting game producers) I would pick up a game like Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, a game without pondarable combos (compared to kof or blazblue), with focus on normal attacks and some special attacks everybody knows (comon, everybody played Street fighter 2 on Nintendo). Or I perhaps would pick up marvel vs capcom 2, everyody has fun playing as Hulk or spiderman, the supers are piss easy, same as the combos, this is something you can teach and the other one can pull of without a lot of practice.

It’s sad, but games like KOF (and blazlue too ofc. though a little it easier execution wise), demanding a lot (A LOT!) of training time for the simplest things (leave alone those incredile HD combos with a lot of drive cancels) will never be really this big anymore, you have to face reality. The most people want easy combos and some ultra moves etc, so anyone have some chance to win the fight.

edit: I picked up Marvel vs capcom 2 just today (1200 points on xbox live, couldn’t resist), the execution is very easy, and it made a hell of a lot fun !!! (I must admit it, this game makes fun. So much I love KOF, but MvC2 is a game, everybody can pick up, and which still can be played on a tournament niveau (which has been proven for like 10 years now?).

KOF has comeback mechanics- the way meter gain works is designed to be a comeback mechanic, and Hyper Drive is also a comeback mechanic, though it requires execution.

The appeal of KOF is the gameplay favors a variety of tactics and it avoids the brainless repetitive situations in many cases that plague other 2d fighters.

SNK needs to build on KOFXIII and come out with another very good game though.

Hey, I like KOF :). But the way meter is gained in KOF is not really that much of a comeback mechanism, cause it’s mainly build by hitting the opponent, and not getting hit. Ofc, if you loose a character, the next one has more possible bars, that’s right. But it’s not comparable with the ultras from SF4.
The thing is, you have to think like a casual gamer. I think, for a game like KOF, a good promotion is the key and most important thing (the much complain about the netcode on srk doesnt help either. The game is playable, just add everyone with 4 bars to your friend list, or good 3 bars connections, and play them preferential).

I’ve come to suspect that most fighting game fans think “catering to the community” means giving a lot of official updates on Twitter.

When will 98UMFE make it to console with good net code. I’d play that game every day.

KOF XIII is the most legit fighting game around imo, there is no way this game will die. hell i still play KOFXII with my bro now and then

I think the next announced game is 3D graphics/2D gameplay.

Will try to be a reboot and to make the game more friendly to casual players.

I foresee it could be called simply “The King of Fighters”.

It seems it will go complete DOA:

What is up with people saying it will go DOA? Where is the resemblance in in graphics or gameplay or business model :confused: