The Cooking Thread: Pics or you didn't make it

Anyone got ramen recipes?

Got tips on stir-frying ramen?

Good shit man. I wish I could cook but I got no clue how. Iā€™m a fuckinā€™ newb.

Iā€™m not sure how you could stir-fry ramen. Isnā€™t it supposed to be served in a soup?

I have a really simple one for sauted vegetables.

Ingredients:
Oil (I use olive oil, but you can use whatever oil you want)
Garlic
Vegetable of choice
Salt

Procedure:

1. Rinse/clean your vegetables and put it aside.
  2. Get a wok and put it onto your stove. DO NOT HEAT YET.
  3. Put your garlic (doesnā€™t matter how much, but just use a little) on a cutting board and smash it with the broad side of your cleaver. Put it aside.
  4. Pour enough oil into your wok such that it coast the bottom, circular part of the wok. If I were to fathom a guess at the estimated amount of oil for this, Iā€™d say about 1/4 cup will do.
  5. Turn on your stove and wait for the oil to heat up. When itā€™s ready, you might see some small bubbles in the oil.
  6. Place your crushed garlic into the oil and wait a few seconds for it to cook.
  7. CAREFULLY add your vegetables to the wok (the excess water from rinsing may cause the oil to pop a little; take caution).
  8. Flip and stir the vegetables until they have a ā€œwetā€ look to them and flavor with salt.

Enjoy. This is probably the easiest way I know to make delicious sauted vegetables.

If you want to make stir-fried ramen with instant ramen, hereā€™s what you can do (btw, Iā€™ve never tried this).

Cook the ramen first and drain the water.
Heat up a small amount of oil?enough to saute something.
Dump in the COOKED ramen.
Stir in whatever ingredients/seasonings you want.

You must be Chinese.

If you want to stir fry ramen, make sure you UNDERCOOK it when you first boil itā€¦ boil just until it begins to seperate. Stir frying will cook it through. Stir frying regularly cooked ramen will make it mushy and fall apart. If you stir fry overcooked ramen, it will disintegrate when you stir fry.

If your in a bind for seasonings/ingredients, you can heat a little bit of oil, throw in the undercooked ramen (just boiled in water/drained - save the packet), sprinkle a little of the packet on top, mix, add a little bit of water and mix again. If you have just one egg, scramble before and toss in.

ooh neat thread

awesome info Green

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=1931815

A thread listing some pretty useful tools.

Iced/sweet tea

Ingredients

1 ounce of loose tea (oolong/black Orange Pekoe recommended)
1 quart (1 L) of boiling water
1 quart (1 L) of room temperature water

Sweetening syrup:

5 cups granulated (white) sugar
3 cups cold water

Procedure

Add one quart of boiling water to loose tea.

Now, if you used black tea, steep for 5 minutes. Oolong, about 4 minutes. Then, strain the mix into a container that will hold at least 2 quarts. To make lemon iced tea, at this point you add about 1 oz or 30mL of lemon juice or to taste for one quart of water. Add one quart of room temp water to the container, bringing it to about 2 quarts. Allow to cool before pouring into glasses over ice.

Syrup:

Bring 3 cups of water and 5 cups of sugar to a boil in a pot, stirring occasionally.

Add syrup (or honeyā€¦) to taste.

Fried rice

Hardware

Wok (preferably steel or cast iron, must not be non-stick)
Spatula without holes/wok spatula
Rice cooker OR pot /w tight fitting lid

Ingredients (basic)

Eggs
Peanut/canola oil to coat wok, sesame oil for flavor
Long grain white rice
Scallions and garlic
Kosher salt
Soy sauce
Other ingredients (BBQ pork, shrimp, cashews, peas, scallops, mushrooms, etc.)

Procedure

The day before cooking, cook the rice the way you want your fried rice to be. I prefer my fried rice to be slightly on the hard side, and not just because of taste - it seems to me that the more water you use, the harder it is to separate the rice into individual grains later. Plus, the texture is more like what you get in a restaurant.

Anyway, after cooking, fluff it with a fork, spoon, or pair of chopsticks. Donā€™t damage your bowl/pot if it happens to be non-stick. Let it cool to room temperature while loosely covered (the lid on the rice cooker works just fine when itā€™s closed) before covering tightly and refrigerating.

Cooking rice in a pot (link) - adjust water to taste

On the day of:

1. Crack eggs into two bowls for thorough beating. Two bowls for two portions of egg - the first portion is in a ratio to the amount of steamed rice - about 1 egg for every 3 cups of rice. The second portion will be the amount of egg you want to add independently to the rice - youā€™ll see what I mean. Add kosher salt to the second portion.

2. Rinse scallions to remove dirt and shake to remove excess water. Cut off the ends of the scallions to remove the root structure. Slice scallions into ~1/4" pieces - use both the white and green or to taste. Put sliced scallions into a small dish or bowl.

3. With [clean] hands, break up rice into a large bowl as individual grains or until you get too lazy.

4. Mix beaten eggs (the first portion) thoroughly into declumped rice with kosher salt and soy sauce to taste.

5. Have a new clean bowl handy for the cooked eggs, and another bowl for cooked meat/shrimp, and the serving plates/bowls for the final product.

6. Heat wok on high for 2-4 minutes or until wok starts to smoke.

7. Add sufficient oil for the meat/shrimp. Stir to ensure uniform heating and browning/coloring. When done, plate into its container.

8. Add sufficient oil for the second portion of eggs. Scramble eggs until almost done (just like regular scrambled eggs) and then plate into their container.

9. Add more oil. Add half of the scallions and garlic and saut for 5-10 seconds. Add the rice and stir constantly. While stirring, add the scallions as well as the second portion of eggs and the meat, if any. Add sesame oil to taste. Plate when rice is ready.

Finally finishedā€¦ Suggestions definitely appreciated for this one.

i love alton brown. i have seasons 1 - 9.

Ah, yes, some clarification of nomenclature

Onion - the bulb of the onion is the spherical thing weā€™re all used to, covered in papery skin, almost always sold with the stem removed
Green onion - the onion, when harvested immature (the bulb is roughly the same width as the stem), is sold with the stem intact
Scallion - green onion
Spring onion - MAY be used to refer to an onion harvested immature but with a bulb larger than the stem (but not nearly as large as a regular onion), usually sold with the stem intact, otherwise it is the same as a scallion

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html

Iā€™m waiting for 10.

a good sauce you can make to pour over your chickenā€¦

after baking your chicken in the oven there will be some fatā€¦ā€œliquidā€ left overā€¦pour it in a frying pan with white wine, parcely, green onions, garlic, salt, peper, let it cook for about 2 min, pour it over the chicken and serveā€¦

the whole meal if you want it is, get some chicken breasts, marinate them with salt and peper, throw them in a oven with some olive oil untill ready to eatā€¦in the mean time make some white riceā€¦after chicken is done make the sauce above and pour it over the chicken and riceā€¦

im outi

Roberth

Hamburgers

Hardware

Meat grinder (hand-cranked or electric) OR food processor
Cast iron skillet or griddle
Two spatulas

Ingredients

1 part beef sirloin
1 part beef chuck
Kosher salt
Buns (toast to taste), whatever condiments

Procedure

1. Cut the burger meat into 1/2" cubes and then refrigerate meat until fully chilled
  2. Grind chilled meat in meat grinder, or, if using food processor, put in about 1/2 lb of meat per batch and pulse about 10 times, each pulse lasting just under a second
  3. Remove the pieces that donā€™t get cut to a uniform size and put those away, or dice them up by hand (with a knifeā€¦)
  4. Very gently fold meat together with hands until uniformly mixed

At this point you can wrap it up in butcher paper and refrigerate for a few days. Otherwise, carry on:

1. Place meat in a big bowl and add about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per pound of meat and very gently fold until well distributed.

2. Very gently form beef into patties. Remember that patties will shrink in diameter and thicken as they fry. Do not form patties thicker than 3/4" inch, while the diameter of the patty should be no more than 25% higher than that of the bun.

3. Preheat skillet or griddle on medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until drops of water hiss and evaporate quickly (but NOT boil off instantly).

4. Place patties on the pan with your hand or a utensil whose ONLY use is for handling raw meat. Do not crowd the pan; allow sufficient space around each patty. DO NOT touch the patties except for initial repositioning until they are ready to flip.

5. Flip the patties with a utensil whose ONLY use is for handling ā€œcleanā€ (cooked) meat and do not let it touch uncooked meat. Four minutes per side should do it for medium rare, five minutes for medium. Do not touch the patties until it is time to remove them.

6. Remove patties with said clean utensil and let rest 3-4 minutes (covered, but not tightly) before serving on toasted buns. If cooking another round of patties, allow for the pan to heat back up.

!!!An internal temp of 160F or higher is the ONLY way to be sure that your burger is free of harmful microbes!!!

bump

So have any of you guys ever worked on the line?

Question:
If I want to stir fry up some beef, which cuts should I use? I used to use chuck roast, but the critter map in ā€œIā€™m Just Here for the Foodā€ says chuck is more suited for a wet cooking method. What I got in the past was OK, but Iā€™m thinking there must be something better.

I just ordered a cast iron skillet and lid off Amazon (I love Amazon), I hope itā€™s worth the hype.

I made a New Yearā€™s Resolution to try a new recipe at least once a month, hopefully you guys can keep them coming.