The Cooking Thread: Pics or you didn't make it

I’ll be sticking around a little more frequently now, and there’s a lot that I’ve learned during the hiatus. Ask anything.

I’ll post a recipe for making great NY-style pizza mostly from scratch (who makes their own cheese and pepperoni?) if demand is high enough.

steak.

is.

delicious.

Please do. Dessert recipes if you have any too.

I just sliced up some steak and cooked it the other day with some spicy szechuan sauce and rice. <3 makeshift Chinese food.

As a pizza lover, I demand you post that shit!

Is what I hear about NY pizza being God Tier true?

Pizza Bread (Living out Uni food)

Ingredients: white bread (better than brown in this instance), mozzarella cheese, tomato purie (ones for pizza) and topings you want.

1. Smear the purie on the slices of bread (not too much)

2. Grate some mozzarella (about 3 / 5ths for a single slice)

3. Add your topings (keep it simple)

4. Grate over the topings

5. Shove in the grill until cheese melts

Simple yet tasty!

Thank goodness for Chef Boyardee. :lovin:

yuk

I may post my “Chang’s Buttermilk Pancakes” recipe later today if I find it, havent made them in a while.

Anyone else watch Good Eats? I tried making wonton soup from it and it was really good.

shtoop a loop

Later, I’ll be discussing the knives you need and the desired features/characteristics of such. Maybe cookware, too.

Nice thread Green.

Simple request. I need a good recipe for a THICK fried chicken batter like the ones they got at Popeye’s and/or KFC.

I know KFC double dips, but then my chickens still aren’t as thick even when I do ((egg + seasoned flour + egg + seasoned bread crumbs) x 2).

BTW It’s still BBQ season, so let’s see some BBQ recipes up here !

Are you Orangecat in disguise?

awesome shit man. I’m gonna try some of these recipes as soon as I can.

Those knives look excellent. I think I’m gonna get one for my mom to replace all the other crappy knives she has.

Man, Green is tearing up this thread with the useful advice! Thanks!!

My recipe contribution is one that makes peole think ewww… when they hear it, but smile when they taste it. The Watermelon milk-shake.

1/2 cup fresh chopped watermelon
6 - 8 oz. whole milk
2 tbl. spoon sugar
tbl. spoon vanilla extract. Can substitute vanilla beans if desired.

Optional:
1 - 3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream

Be sure to remove all the seeds from the watermelon. If you have a really good blender I guess you could leave them in for nutritunal value if you like to eat watermelon seeds, but I don’t.

Blend the ingredients in a blender, slowly at first, since you want to make sure you maintain a good milkshake consistancy. The recipe is good for about two cups of shake and you can add ice cream if you desire. If so, then subtract 3 oz. of milk for every scoop of ice cream you add.

Pour in a glass and enjoy your creamy icy-good watermelon milk-shake!!

I figured I’d post up one of my recipes. It’s a desert, and incredibly easy to make (Seriously, if you can’t make this something is wrong with you.) It’s basically a chocolate and Hazelnut tart.

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups peeled hazelnuts
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 store bought frozen pie crust, defrosted

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Lightly toast Hazlenuts in a small skillet with a teaspoon of peanut oil (It has little taste unlike Olive oil) then finish them in a food processor and pulse it until lightly chopped.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and the flour. Add the eggs, hazelnuts, dark chocolate chips, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 1 hour.

Cool the tart for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Also, remember when you melt butter to let it cool before adding it in with the eggs to make sure that they don’t cook.

No, but I miss him. :’(

The one thing you have to remember with Jap knives is that they’re more fragile than Western knives, because they use harder steel. Generally, the harder the material, the more brittle. Not too big of a deal, but don’t use a knife to pry, cut frozen food, ice, medium/thick bones (unless it’s supposed to), hand-wash (NEVER put in dishwasher) immediately after use, dry and store in a knife guard, etc. Just be sure to do with a knife only what it’s supposed to do.

Oh, and under NO circumstances should you use a grooved sharpening steel on a Japanese knife.

Im tryin to get salmon on a bbq, any cool recipe for dat or should I not even try dat

My Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto (F-809)

http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/pics/f809-1.jpg
http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/pics/f809-2.jpg

Salmon on a BBQ… Salmon steaks, right?