The Cooking Thread: Pics or you didn't make it

yea, how can i mingle with salmon

For everybody else, take a look at Alton Brown’s Good Eats Season 01 Episode 10 - Hook Line and Dinner.

Dice, I’ll burn you a CD with it. Anything else you were interested in?

Basically all you need to know about stir-fry:

High heat, fast cooking

Woks, be they cast iron or carbon steel (why use anything else?) need to be taken care of the same way as cast iron skillets, or any kind of cast iron, for that matter.

the way to eat RAW TUNA mmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmm

any size chunk of raw tuna
chopped bits of onions
soy sauce
pepper
wasabi!!!

in a bowl, mix up about a 1/2 - soy sauce, some pepper, 1/4 cup some onions, put the bowl on top of a plate. on the plate, set some raw cut peices of tuna and on one side place WASABI as your dip. (you can set this up how ever you want actually, this just the way I do it.)

its better to chill for at least 20 minutes

with chopsticks or a fork, dip the tuna into the sauce then the wasabi. its a good apatizer!

::drink beer with it if you got 'em 0_o

No matter how little pasta you cook at a time, you should use no less than a gallon or about 4 liters of water.

1lb of pasta ~= 6 quarts ~= 6 liters

Add about a teaspoon of salt (kosher) per quart/liter, and bring the water to a boil in a big pot - an aluminum stock pot is perfect. Covering the pot with a lid allows it to come to a boil faster. Don’t add oil, because the oil will coat the noodles and discourage sauces from sticking.

Gently add the pasta. If it’s long stuff like spaghetti, fan it out. Push it down as soon as it softens so that the pasta can be cooked as uniformly as possible. Stir for the first 30 seconds, lid, and bring back to boil as quickly as possible (there isn’t much you can besides maxing out the heat and covering with the lid).

When it does start boiling again, reduce the heat slightly and check for doneness (when and how often depends on the size and shape of the pasta). Cook to al dente, but remember that foods continue to cook after the heat source is removed, due to the outside of the foodstuffs being hotter than the centers thereof.

Don’t rinse it unless you’re not serving it immediately.

Strain (see note below), move to warmed bowl, toss with whatever non-sauce stuff you like. Oil, garlic, cheese, black pepper, etc. Serve in warmed receptacles… you can add tomato sauce now.

Note: you can use a salad spinning dryer thing if you want, but don’t remove every last bit of the water; it helps stuff stick to the pasta.

uppp

Some BBQ stuff tomorrow

one last stab at resurrection

You got my support…ill share some slick trades of the kitchen…

This is my tataki sauce

1 QUART LOW-SODIUM CHICKEN STOCK
1 PINT TAMARI
7 OUNCES SUGAR
4 OUNCES GREEN ONIONS
1 TABLESPOON FRESH GINGER
1 TABLESPOON FRESH GARLIC
6 OUNCES SAKI
4 OUNCES JINRO (OPTIONAL)
4 OUNCES MIRIN (SWEET RICE WINE)
1 OUNCE RICE VINEGAR
(OPTIONAL) 1 THAI BIRD CHILI SPLIT

Reduce the above mentioned things in a sauce pot over medium-high heat until it is sauce like consistency (coats the back of the spoon). It should reduce A LOT, by about 2/3 at least. Make a slurry using cornstarch and add it to thicken up the sauce. A slurry is when you take a thickening agent such as cornstarch dilute it in a bit of water and add it to a sauce. Make sure you reduce the heat a bit, because too much boiling can break cornstarch down. Please use a good quality alcohol as well. Make sure to strain the sauce through a sieve when you are done.

You can marinate the meat in this sauce overnight or just use it straight as a sauce.

Thisi s my favorite cake recipe that I came up with, please excuse the all caps font thats just how I have the word documents.

THE GAY DUTCHMAN

BATTER RECIPE:

280 GRAMS CAKE FLOUR
80 GRAMS GOOD COCOA POWDER
8 OZ. BUTTER
14 OZ. SUGAR
8 OZ. BROWN SUGAR
5 LARGE EGGS
16 OZ. BUTTERMILK
2 TO 4 OZ. OF HEAVY CREAM
1 TABLESPOON VANILLA
2 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
½ TSP SALT

CREAM THE BUTTER, THEN ADD THE SUGAR AND CREAM TOGETHER SUGAR AND BUTTER. START ADDING THE EGGS AND MIXING THOROUGHLY. NOW ADD BUTTERMILK, CREAM, AND VANILLA; MIX AGAIN. SIFT FLOUR, BAKING SODA, AND COCOA TOGETHER, AND ADD IT TO THE WET MIX. MIX TOGETHER THOROUGHLY. DUMP ALL OF IT INTO A 14 X 9 CAKE PAN. IT WILL MAKE ONE HUGE CAKE. BAKE IN A PREHEATED 350 DEGREE OVEN FOR 35 TO 40 MINUTES. LET COOL DOWN.

GANACHE RECIPE:
12 OUNCES OF GOOD WHITE CHOCOLATE
2 TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER
1 CUP OF HEAVY CREAM

PUT INGREDIENTS IN A MICROWAVE SAFE BOWL AND MICROWAVE IN 20 SECOND INTERVALS. STIR AND MICROWAVE UNTIL MIXTURE IS SMOOTH. POUR ON TO COLD CAKE AND LET GANACHE SET BEFORE ICING.

ICING RECIPE:

1 STICK OF BUTTER
1 PACKAGE OF CREAM CHEESE
12 OUNCES OF MILK CHOCOLATE
2 OUNCES OF HEAVY CREAM
SUGAR TO TASTE

PUT CHOCOLATE IN A MICROWAVE SAFE BOWL WITH HEAVY CREAM AND SOME SUGAR; TASTE THE MIXTURE AFTER IT IS MELTED AND ADD MORE SUGAR IF NECESSARY. MICROWAVE UNTIL SMOOTH. CREAM TOGETHER BUTTER AND CREAM CHEESE UNTIL IT IS SMOOTH. ADD CHOCOLATE MIXTURE TO THE CREAMED BUTTER AND CREAM CHEESE AND BLEND TOGETHER THOROUGHLY.
LET COOL FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS IN FRIDGE. SPREAD ON TOP OF COOLED CAKE AND GANACHE. THE CREAM CHEESE ADDS A NICE TANG, IF YOU WANT YOU CAN REPLACE THE CREAM CHEESE WITH HEAVY CREAM WHIPPED TO PEAKS. JUST FOLD IN THE CHOCOLATE WITH THE WHIP CREAM TO MAKE A FROSTING.

I PREFER WHIPPED FROSTINGS AS OPPOSED TO BUTTER CREAMS, BECAUSE BUTTER CREAMS ARE TO HEAVY ON MY PALATE.

GARNISH CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS AND SERVE WITH COCONUT WHIP CREAM.

TO DO COCONUT WHIP CREAM
2 TO 4 TABLESPOONS COCO LOPEZ (COCONUT CREAM SWEETENED)
1 PACKAGE OF WHIP-IT (OR WHIPPED CREAM STABILIZIER, IT?S FOUND IN THE FLOUR OR BAKING AISLE)
½ TO 1 CUP OF WHIPPING CREAM (DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH WHIPPING CREAM YOU WANT TO MAKE)
SHOT OF RUM

BLEND TOGETHER COCO LOPEZ, RUM, AND WHIPPING CREAM UNTIL SMOOTH. ADD COCO LOPEZ GRADUALLY UNTIL DESIRED FLAVOR AND SWEETNESS IS REACHED; ADD SUGAR IF NECESSARY. HOWEVER, COCO LOPEZ IS PRETTY SWEET ON IT?S OWN. NOW ADD WHIP-IT STABILIZER, AND BLEND UNTIL PEAKS ARE FORMED. REFRIDGERATE AND SERVE WITH CAKE, OR USE AS FROSTING INSTEAD OF THE CHOCOLATE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE.

That is an awesome recipe name.

Gay Dutchman? What was the inspiration?

Seems like he was yelling the whole time. Is that…“overoptimism?”

What kind of leavening did you use - e.g. baking powder?

Well, when I think of a dutchman, I think of a fat boy looking for his fudge and chocolate. Then I thought about a gay dutchman looking for fudge and wanting to pack it at the same time.

Wait till I drop the “Revenge of the Gay Dutchman: My Metrosexual Cousin Coco Lopez.”

Fair enough to say the likelihood of me becoming an executive chef is pretty low.

good stuff in here

Hey i wanna leave a subscription post.

Brining - works wonders for juicing up pork, chicken, and turkey

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=70&title=Brining

Personally, I use coarse salt, but you can use whatever salt you like. Just be warned that a cup of one type of salt may not contain as much salt as a cup of another type, because of the size/shape/packing of the salt granules. e.g. coarse salt is not as “dense” as kosher salt, which isn’t as “dense” as table salt.

Perhaps most important, you can submerge the meat ONLY when both the meat and the brine have reached fridge temperature. Equally as important is that you cool the brine to room temperature BEFORE putting it into the fridge, if you heated it up (to dissolve the salt). If you refrigerate half a gallon of hot water, it’s going to raise the temperature of everything else in the fridge, and this is seriously no good for your health.

this thread’s back?

…that went well.