The Comprehensive Firebrand Thread: Lab Notes for Beginners (almost done)

A Word:
I want to make this a one-stop spot for all inquiries regarding Firebrand. Please do not hesitate to suggest changes/additions or alert me to errors in the main thread or via private message. Will this thread as good as Karsticles’ Dormammu thread? Hell no, but this will contain enough for anybody to become a solid Firebrand player. Obviously, not only do you have to take the knowledge of this thread and practice/know it, but you have to build onto it. Create combos, contribute match-up info, etc. I can’t do it all for you and the players that contribute to this forum cannot do it all either. Its a community effort.

A brief overview of what is contained in each section:

The Basics: General character information, such as X-Factor and health values, along with the legend for notation that will be used throughout the guide. Each move is listed, along with how to make effective use of that move in a various situations. If you are looking for strategies on how to make one of Firebrand’s normals, specials, or hypers useful in a variety of situation, read the “Discussion” portion of that move’s section.

Strategy: First, a general overview of what it means to play Firebrand. Then, a breakdown of general methods of approach, zoning, creating resets, and X-Factor usage, etc. is provided. This section is purely with regard to Firebrand, and does not involve considerations of team functionality.

Team Building: I have presented a general overview of what it means to make a team in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 according to Karsticles. This is followed by a section for the best partnersFirebrand can pair with, along with the various synergistic abilities between Firebrand and the given character. As often as possible, I will include videos of any claims made.

Matchups: A specific section exists for each potential opponent in the game; within these sections I will try to list effective strategies against each character in the game, especially options Firebrand has to directly counter specific abilities each character has. Be sure to read the Legend so the information is intelligible to you. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!!

Gameplay and Combos: Here contains an archive of videos showing excellent Firebrand gameplay or concepts, and also a listing of combos possible with Firebrand. If you would like to contribute to this section, please be sure to read the rules for video submission. This section does not deal with team-based combos. If you want to see what Firebrand can do with a particular assist, consult that teammate’s section in the Team Building part of the guide.

Please do not hesitate to contribute! All assistance in making this guide as comprehensive as humanly possible is welcome; please do not hesitate to suggest changes as well.

General Statistics:
Health: 850K
Level 1 X-Factor Bonuses: 115% Damage, 125% Speed, 11.5 Seconds
Level 2 X-Factor Bonuses: 135% Damage, 135% Speed, 16.5 Seconds
Level 3 X-Factor Bonuses: 155% Damage, 145% Speed, 21.5 Seconds
Magic series: 6 buttons (st. L, cr. L, st. M, cr. M, st. H, cr. H)
Airdash: No airdash
Double Jump: No double jump
Notation:
:l: - Light Attack
:m: - Medium Attack
:h: - Heavy Attack
:s: - Special Button
:a1: - Assist Button 1
:a2: - Assist Button 2
:atk::atk: - Any Two Attack Buttons
c. - Crouching
s. - Standing
j. - jump
sj. - Superjump
QCF - Quarter Circle Forward, or down, down-forward, forward, or 236 (on player one side)
DP - Dragon Punch, or forward, down, down-forward, or 623 (on player one side)
QCB - Quarter Circle Back, or down, down-back, back, or 214 (on player one side)

Basics

Notable Normals

[details=Spoiler]

st. L- Probably Firebrand’s best normal. Its fast on start-up, it has CRAZY frame advantage on block at +6 (perfect for frame-traps), you can rapid-fire it, its range is pretty nice for a st. L, it anti-airs ok, I mean… there is literally nothing wrong with this move… seriously…

cr. L - Another good light normal. -1 on block I believe. It hits low of course, you can rapid-fire, its fast on start-up, etc. Its really good. The only thing wrong with this move is that st. L is better.

j. L - Yet ANOTHER good light normal. It is a very, very fast instant overhead. In luminous body, if you connect an instant overhead light, you can cancel into air bon voyage for a free combo.

st. M - Not very good utility. Just use in chain combos.

cr. M - Same here. You are in frame disadvantage if your opponent blocks this.

j. M - I like this move. Not only is it good for air combos, but I like it as an air to air normal. Be weary of airgrabs.

st. H - This is +1 on block, so use this in block strings. A solid anti-air and hits twice. Not a bad normal…

cr. H - Very unsafe on block. If your opponent blocks this, please cancel it or you will get blown up.

j. H - Nice move IMO. Option selects with airgrab well. Instant overheads on tall characters. Good air to air normal. 2 hits.

j. D+H - Divekick. A lovely move if used correctly. The special thing about this move is that if you contact the opponent with it (on hit or block), you get put into flight mode, so you can either do it again or use one of Firebrands command dashes or any of Firebrands air moves. This move is essential for combos, since this is a ground bounce.

st. S - Pretty standard special attack… Anti-airs well… Nothing much to say here…

j. S - Love this move. Good hitbox with it. Easy to hit confirm.[/details]

Specials

[details=Spoiler]

Hellfire spit (qcf+ATK) (air ok) - One of Firebrand’s many great tools. On hit, it does great damage for Firebrand (100k). The light version will go horizontal. The medium version will go diagonal (upwards on the ground, downwards in the air). And the heavy one will go straight down and cause a pseudo flame carpet. The heavy version is probably the most unique of the versions because if you perform this action the air, you automatically dropped out of flight mode and you cannot block, no matter what point of time you do it. The heavy version also OTG’s, so its perfect to use after an airgrab.

Demon Missile (DP + ATK) - Firebrand’s bread and butter. Light Demon missile bounces off the opponent on hit or block and put him in flight mode. Medium demon missile goes through the opponent on hit or block. But yo, RT, forget that shit. Though its good to know what they do, H demon missile is what you gonna want to do. The heavy demon missile is swoop attack that doesn’t go through AFAIK. Whats amazing about this move is that its UNBLOCKABLE. Of course, if you charge the move of course. Anybody that knows the match-up knows that this move is unblockable and they will not let you do it. Thats why you use selected assist and meaty set-ups, so that they will be unavoidable to most of the cast. When the H Demon Missile (charged) hits the grounded opponent, it will cause a stagger, which equals free combo. When it hits an air opponent, it causes a soft knockdown.

Hell Elevator (QCB + ATK) (on ground only) - Using this command, Firebrand takes to the skies and stays in flight mode. The light version goes straight up, the medium version goes up forward which is perfect for cross-ups, and the heavy version goes up back which is good for escapes. You are gonna use this move to make you pressure a little bit safer. Cr. H is like -10 on block which is mad punishable. That -10 goes to 0 or some shit like that, which is still punishable by some characters, but its good for mixups or escapes.

Hell Dive (QCB + ATK) (in air only) - When Firebrand is in the air, use this move to be sent back down to the ground. The light version goes straight down. The medium version goes down-forward. The heavy version goes down back which is good for escapes. Medium version is great for getting in at super jump range for free. You can cover your approach with M Hellfire spit, then do M Hell Dive. The light version is essential for doing Firebrand’s BnB. You are allowed three of these dives in the air.

Bon Voyage (QCF + S) (air ok) - Staple Firebrand move. This guys zooms across the field and on hit, he grabs you and carries you to the wall. It causes wall bounce and then a hard knockdown. Leads to an easy launch and essential to his BNB. This move is NOT A GRAB and the ground version is VERY unsafe on block. The air version however is godlike. When low to the ground, its plus on block, which is fucking sick for this type of character. Use TK Bon Voyage for safe blockstrings upclose. If you use a wallbounce earlier in the combo, this will cause a soft knockdown instead.

Flight (QCB + S) (air ok) - I don’t really use this move, but I suppose its good for running the time out and what not. Im sure you can make some moves safer, like cr. H.

Wall cling (b, b) (air only(?)) - An unlisted move. Useful if you want to have another form of covering your approach. If you wall cling and press a certain button, you do a move. Light = Horizontal fireball. Medium = Down-forward fireball. Heavy = Fireball that acts like a flame carpet. S = Cancel wall cling.

Your best button when opponent is upclose would be H, because it carries on the ground. When they are long distance, just press S and hell dive in. The reason is that using the M Fireball is too risky to use is because it will not hit him if you are at a certain height. You can’t risk not being able to hit the opponent because if you press any button but S, you will not block coming down, which means free punish in Marvel 3 land.[/details]

Hypers

[details=Spoiler]

Dark Fire (QCF + ATK ATK) (air ok)- The ender to alllllll your combos. This move does 40 hits when mashed and it hurts alot. So if you don’t like mashing, you better mash anyway. Don’t do this move raw. You will get punished. Very unsafe on block, even at a distance, even in the air (you can’t block coming down when you do it).

Luminous Body (QCB + ATK ATK) (air ok)- A great move to DHC into. This move turns firebrand white and he is very fast for a nice duration. AFAIK there is no damage boost, but there are some combos that do good damage that needs Luminous Body to work. Luminous body also makes combos like J. L xxx air Bon Voyage, work. You also can gain meter when the hyper is active. Whore this move out if you need to.

Chaos Tide (DP + ATK ATK)- This hyper brings in a second Red Arremer to help you attack. Pressing certain attack makes your helper do certain move. Pressing light makes him do a M fireball, medium makes him do M demon missile, and heavy makes him do H demon missile. Most people will tell you to mash H all day, which they would be right. H is the most abusable move. Its does chip and its very fast.This move, I imagine, is a great move to DHC into.[/details]

Frame Data (courtesy of Firebranded)

[details=Spoiler]
Move:

**Standing L = 5 **frame start-up, **6 **frame advantage on hit, **6 **frame advantage if guarded.
**Standing M = 8 **frame start-up, **1 **frame advantage on hit, **0 **frame advantage if guarded.
**Standing H = 10 **frame start-up, **2 **frame advantage on hit, **1 **frame advantage if guarded.

**Crouching L = 4 **frame start-up, **0 **frame advantage on hit, **-1 **frame disadvantage if guarded.
**Crouching M = 8 **frame start-up, **2 **frame advantage on hit, **-3 **frame disadvantage if guarded.
**Crouching H = 10 **frame start-up, **Knockdown **on hit, **-11 **frame disadvantage if guarded.

**Launcher = 9 **frame start-up, Launch on hit, -12 frame disadvantage if guarded.

**Air L = 5 **frame start-up, **12 **frame advantage on hit, **11 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air M = 8 **frame start-up, **17 **frame advantage on hit, **16 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air H = 8 **frame start-up, **19 **frame advantage on hit, **18 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air S = 10 **frame start-up, **15 **frame advantage on hit, **14 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Devil’s Claw = 18 **frame start-up, **Ground Bounce **on hit, **11 **frame advantage if guarded.

**Hell’s Spitfire L/M = 16 **frame start-up, **0 **advantage on hit, **-1 **frame disadvantage if guarded. 5 LOW projectile durability points
**Hell’s Spitfire H = 26 **frame start-up, Float on hit, **54 **frame advantage if guarded **+41 **if from the air.5 LOW projectile durability points

**Bon Voyage = 13 **frame start-up, Surftown USA on hit, **30 **frame disadvantage if guarded, **10 **frame advantage if guarded from **air.**Causes Wall-Bounce.

**Demon Missile L = 15 **frame start-up, **2 **advantage on hit, **1 **frame advantage if guarded. Enters Flight Upon Contact.
**Demon Missile M = 15 **frame start-up, **-17 **advantage on hit, **-18 **frame advantage if guarded. Passes through enemies.
Frame data reflects how Firebrand can’t move until after the animation ends.

**Demon Missile H = 23 **frame start-up, **-4 **advantage on hit, **-4 **frame advantage if guarded. Enters Flight Upon Contact.

**Flight lasts 90 frames.[/details]

Stra****tegy

Sooooooo… what is there to say about the guy?

Well, for one he does very little damage compared to the rest of the cast. You have to rely on resets, his unblockable setups and DHC to make damage. He also has tools to stay in the air and keepaway. So you have to choose what to do in certain situations.

His versatility is what makes him so dangerous. Damage? You not gonna get that, but you will get a solid, all-around game.

Playstyles

Rushdown - What else is there to say? You are diving in with Hell Dive M, utilizing your assist, instant overhead, safe pressure strings, resets, etc. You are going in. Go in pressing st. L. Its +6 on block and its range is great. Delay it to bait out pushblocks and what not. Also, though cr. H is unsafe, using it when your opponent is scared of your j. L or your unblockable set-ups. Its range is good and will catch some characters backdashes.

Keepaway - With the help of your assist, throw Fireballs in the air until you can’t anymore. Just a general tip for all new Firebrand players, use air H Fireball as your third option. You will fall straight to the floor.

UNBLOCKABLE

Probably one of the best things about Firebrand. As previously mentioned, H Demon Missile when charged is unblockable. However, anybody with any defensive skills whatsoever will not let you do it straight up. Of course you have to set it up in order for it to work.

With an assist

Some assist in this game have enough blockstun or last long enough to keep the opponent pinned down for the unblockable. Sometimes you have to call the assist before your opponent wakes up from an air combo. Sometimes you have to do it off a reset or when your opponent comes in. And sometimes you can do it straight-up raw from a block string. Here are the list of confirmed assist that set up the unblockable and what circumstances.

Sentinel Drones - on wake up
Skrulls Tenderizer - While opponent comes in and off a reset
Ammy coldstar - in a blockstring and off a reset (can do it while opponent comes in with proper spacing)
Dante jam session - on wake up and while opponent comes in (possible with reset)
Doom missiles - Multiple circumstances, as long as timing is right
Dormammu Dark Hole - While opponent comes in and off a reset.

Possibly others are usable…

On wake-up

I’ve been doing this myself recently. If you cause a spin state with a DHC, you cause a hard knockdown in which Firebrand can set up the unblockable. Check the DHC glitch if you want more info. I will update more once I figure out ways to do this.

THC’s

Thank you to ChomP for reminding me that unblockables can be set up like this too. Using certain assist with longer THCs IE. Amaterasu, you can set up the unblockables. This does consume alot of meter, so I would use it to kill a character that is coming in.

I imagine you can do it with Vergil and Dante’s THC.

DHC’s

[media=youtube]IZuua8JKUOI[/media]

From Plot Armor.

Possibly more setups with DHC’s. Gotta study up.

Team Building

Hey loser. If you don’t know how to make a team, read this.

Second, Firebrand is a character that is versatile. Can zone people out and rush down. He can also do unblockables with the help of assist. So you will probably need partners that can do both with great results.

Best partners for Firebrand:

Amaterasu - Man… probably one of the best duo’s in the game… Cold star is a good assist for fuzzy guards and instant overheads and rushing down in general. Not only that, but it sets up Firebrands unblockables so easy. Great DHC compatibility. Great THC compatibility… Yeah… get these 2 married.

Skrull - Though I wasn’t a big fan of Firebrand/Skrull, I do like them alot now. Tenderizer is a great assist for Firebrand because of the “Death Loop”. Not only that but the DHC compatibility is out of control.

Doom - Doom is always good with anybody. Sets-up unblockable. Good for zoning, good for rushdown, etc. DHC compatibility is out of control too. Dark Fire DHC Sphere Flame hurts.

Sentinel- Drones are just a bit worse than missiles, but still the same utility. DHC compatibility is great too. Dark Fire into Plasma Storm hurts.

Dante- Can set up unblockable for Firebrand and cover the WHOLE vertical area. Godlike assist. DHC compatibility is ass though. THC is alot better that DHC.

Hawkeye- Always a godlike Partner. Arrows goes under some characters, but there is great DHC compatibilty. THC would probably be really good with the gamma assist as a partner.

Taskmaster- can set up the unblockable with his gamma assist and THC. If you don’t like that assist, then you can easily use alpha assist for a great horizontal assist.

Vergil- his gamma assist is a great GTFO assist, but I think the THC and DHC compatibility is the best thing about this duo. He can set up the unblockable for Firebrand with THC.

Solid shit by Kresent "Firebrand/Zero

Spoiler

Dark Fire can be DHCed into Rekkoha before the last few hits of Dark Fire
Dark Fire can be DHCed into Lightning Loop, but the timing is pretty strict. You have to DHC almost immediately, jump, delayed j.2H (3 hits), j.S, land, jump, LV3 buster.

Sougenmu’d Hadongeki can be good for Firebrand’s mix-ups (blocked c.H into Hadongeki into QCB+M). It crosses up and the two projectiles give long enough time to confirm. However, fast players can grab you out of it. So don’t be predictable.

Zero can use Demon Missile as an extension to his BnB
s.M, s.H, f.H, s.S, j.M, j.M, QCF+H, land, dash, jump, call Demon Missile, QCF+M, land, jump, j.M, j.M, LV3 Buster xx DP+L, land, s.H, s.S, j.2H, j.S, land, jump, QCF+H xx LV3 Buster xx DP+L into lightning loop.

Zero can also use H Hell Spitfire assist as lockdown.

Firebrand can hard tag into Zero on certain characters. Here is the video I made
[media=youtube]V3vUUtPsWvs[/media]

More to come.

Match-ups

Very important for Firebrand to learn how to punish and fight certain characters. This part deals with fighting your opponent. I need you guys to really contribute to this part. Like seriously… I REALLY NEED YOU TO CONTRIBUTE!!

Akuma (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Amaterasu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Arthur (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

C. Viper (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Captain America (Opponent)

Spoiler

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Chris Redfield (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Chun-li (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Dante (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Deadpool (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Dormammu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

General Tips:

Dr. Doom (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Dr. Strange (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Felicia (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Firebrand (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Frank West (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Ghost Rider (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Haggar (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Hawkeye (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Hsien-ko (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Hulk (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Iron Fist (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Iron Man (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Jill Valentine (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

M.O.D.O.K. (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Magneto (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Morrigan (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Nemesis T-Type (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Nova (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Phoenix (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Phoenix Wright (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Rocket Raccoon (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Ryu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Sentinel (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

She-Hulk (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Shuma-Gorath (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Spencer (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Spider-man (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Storm (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Strider Hiryu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Super-Skrull (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Taskmaster (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Thor (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Trish (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Tron Bonne (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Vergil (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Viewtiful Joe (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Wesker (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Wolverine (Opponent)

Spoiler

Firebrand Vs Wolverine Match up
4-6 Wolvie’s Favor
Summery on why:
Firebrand’s big strength in this match up is that wolverine solo does not have much ways to deal with Keepaway and Firebrand is a keepaway genius.
The big problem with this though is that you can almost never run away from wolverine and if he touches you in any capacity you will die. Dive kicks and Wolverine’s mix up options and normals make fighting on the ground a losing battle for you. His close range air game utilizing a mix of drill claw and air throws can slaughter firebrand instantly the moment he tries to anything in the air next to wolverine.

Tips:
The first thing the firebrand play needs to do is stay in the air, firebrand is to air game as wolvie is to ground game.

• Once in the Air chuck L Fireballs and M Fireballs
  • never throw out those H Fireballs he can run circles around them and it dissapears if you get hit on hit or block.
  • dive Kick only works at certain times for Firebrand, his is signifcantly slower than wolvies and puts him in flight on hit or block.
  • Air Bonvoyage is a good idea only if a) you know it’s gonna hit(block or hit) b) Wolverine is on the ground or underneath you. Don’t use it if he is next to you in the air. I say this because using it if the opponent is next to you works in some match ups not this one though you will get popped if you do so.
    -Remember to air tech regularly Wolverine hold back and press H when you anticipate tech. If it ends up coming out as air H then Input a dive kick
    to follow up.

your Dives are really helpful but we have to set out some rules.

• Don’t swoop if he Wolverine is in the air with you or in front of you (Pretty much this match up in a nutshell is if wolvie is in front of you: Block him! then push block)

• Super Jumping and swooping is good as long as they air far away

• Now for things that you can do Air H Dive when you are full screen away then do a wall cling and then fire a L Fireball to cover your offense

• Using your assist get in with air M Dive and uncharged Hard Demon missile

• When you are right beside the opponent use st M plus Assist then input a M Hell’s Elevator to nail a cross up if they block that then go for
    an instant overhead using air LLMS or if

• For Blockstrings you can use M Hells Elevator to negate Pushblock but be careful doing this raw against wolvie as he has quick punishes
    he guesses right

• Shooting fireballs into Lb is a life saver here because you can full screen hit confirm if your eyes are quick enough

• Mid screen chicken block those dive kicks and then throw the wolvie player once they hit the ground if you have good enough oki you
    can finish the round after one air throw

Against Wolvie’s Toolset

Berserker Rage: The best thing to do if you see them start tossing aout swiss chees in front of you is to shoot a fireball then Cancel into
Luminous body then dash and cr H into full combo. EDITORS NOTE: Probably can just slide into it.

Drill Claw: Drill Claw is unsafe if you force it to whiff. so if you anticipate it on the ground
you can neutral jump then dive kick into a combo.

If they hit you with drill claw and you anticipate that they will dive kick to keep themseleves safe then pushblock the drill claw
then as they land from their dive kick Use bon voyage to punish the recovery on the whiffed dive kick.
If the you dont get the punish right then use luminous body to make your ground bon voyage safe.
Remeber that after canceling into LB attempt the Instant overhead.

If wolverine uses drill claw to fly over you then you can dash up to him and go for either an instant overhead or a cr l for 50/50

Dive Kick: You can either chicken block it and try to punish it from there or you can make it whiff and punish accordingly.

Beserker Barrage:Block and Punish with Cr L or st l

Berserker Slash: If you see wolvie chucking this out in the neutral game you can react to it with Ground Bon Voyage the animation for Ground Bon voyage will go through the opponents assists if it hits wolvie before the assist.

Okizeme:

Unfortunatly as Firebrand you don’t really have any incoming options so just block and pushblock Guess right!

Moral of the story is: Don’t get hit

Wolverine’s Wake up
Luckily though Wolvie’s wake up is nearly as bad as yours
HE does not have that many options besides his Cr L
which you of corse can stuff with meaty attacks and assist

Wolvie’s incoming
Every one of wolvie’s options on incoming can be beat by a well timed super jump into Air Bon voyage
Call out your assist before you do this to cover you (Cold Star is the best)
so if they block bon voyage you can go for mix ups afterwards

This method will beat incoming Drill Claw and Incoming Dive Kick

If you don’t think you have enough time then just time a m fireball from the ground and call your assist

Combos on Wolverine
If he is crouching both kinds of Instant Overheads don’t work against him
If he is standing then you can do Jumping LLMS into full combo

There is nothing to note about him in terms of regular combos with firebrand.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Stay in the air. Wolverine dominates the ground game in this match-up. He gets you to block, he is in a way better advantage. From there he can stop all your options because Firebrand doesn’t have a GTFO me move.

X-23 (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Zero (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Combos

Ok so this is the deal. There is literally ONE combo you need to know:

cr. L, cr. M, cr. H, S, sj. MMH, D+H, Hell Dive L, land, cr. H, S, sj., MMH xxx Bon Voyage, land, dashback, st. H, S, sj., MMHS, land, Dark Fire.

Combo does like what… 550K? Need clarification.

Yeah thats it… seriously… However, its good to know other setups to do his BNB.

j. M - j. MMH, D+H, Helldive L, cr. H, S, sj., MH xxx Bon Voyage, S, sj., MMHS, land, Dark Fire.

Good if you meet a character in the air and you hit them with this randomly. You can do the same with j. H.

**Airgrab - **Airgrab, Hellfire spit, S, sj. MH, D+H, Helldive L, S, sj., H xxx Bon Voyage, S, sj., HS, land, Dark Fire.

Easier outside the corner, uncharacteristicly. Its easier for me to just do Dark Fire off a grab in the corner. It does 400k straight up.

**j. L xxx Bon Voyage - **j. L xxx Bon Voyage, cr. H, S, sj., MMH, D+H, Hell Dive L, cr. H, S, sj., MHS, land, Dark Fire.

Off an instant overhead in luminous body. If you catch with a Bon Voyage randomly, you can do this combo…

Comboing off a hard tag

Firebrand has a neat little trick to get more damage off his combos while switching in another character without the risk of a TAC counter or the cost of meter.

Simply, all you need to do is raw tag when Firebrand does Bon Voyage and wall bounces him. The bon voyage gets them high enough where you can raw tag and then launch.

The problem is that it only works from what I tested, with fast launchers. Like Zero’s, Wesker’s, etc.

[Reserved for gameplay vids and combos2]

Ok… Im not 100% done yet, but I can have you guys post in here. Offer suggestions to make it better. PM me vids, etc.

Shoutouts/Conclusion

Well, to all the new Firebrand players, its time for you to study up and become good with this character. So much untapped potential with this character that we have not even scratched the surface yet. Just dicking around in training room allows you to learn sooooo much about him that its not even funny. Thats the key to being a Firebrand player: going into training room and actually trying to break the game.

Anything that I have forgot, any concerns you have, anything you want to add and get credited for, PM me or post here. Thanks.

Thanks to Diek Stiekem for allowing me to create this thread.

Thank you Karsticles for the ideas and guidelines to create this thread.

Thank you to the Firebrand players on SRK that contribute in this dead forum.

Minor things I saw, Bon Voyage is a wall bounce, not a ground bounce (that’s Devil’s Claw, the dive kick), and cr.L is actually -1, not +2. Other than that, seems like a good guide.
And I guess for some content contribution, you’ll want to put in the match-up section that you have to be careful spamming air Bon Voyage against Sentinel because his j.M can sometimes smack you out of it with its long reach. One of the few things in his favor in that match-up.

You can have unblockable setups with firebrand using THCs also. The best ones I found using were Ammy, Dante, and Vergil, Taskmaster, and probably a lot more characters i’m missing.

Things to do:

Finish the best teammates portions.
Find a list of THCs that work for the unblockable.
Finish the combo guide.

This is looking pretty good so far. I would add a guide on how to set up hard tag combos too as I feel they’re one of the best ways to guarantee damage with Firebrand. Also how to set up fuzzy guard setups, include resets in with his combos and also a list of the best DHCs to Luminous Body.

Just a small thing that’s probably extremely obvious but if you use Firebrand’s dive kick you should also input it with down forwards, rather than just down so it can option select throw.

I think we’re severely underestimating his slide. It’s a great move. Anyway here’s frame data.

Move:

**Standing L = 5 **frame start-up, **6 **frame advantage on hit, **6 **frame advantage if guarded.
**Standing M = 8 **frame start-up, **1 **frame advantage on hit, **0 **frame advantage if guarded.
**Standing H = 10 **frame start-up, **2 **frame advantage on hit, **1 **frame advantage if guarded.

**Crouching L = 4 **frame start-up, **0 **frame advantage on hit, **-1 **frame disadvantage if guarded.
**Crouching M = 8 **frame start-up, **2 **frame advantage on hit, **-3 **frame disadvantage if guarded.
**Crouching H = 10 **frame start-up, **Knockdown ** on hit, **-11 **frame disadvantage if guarded.

**Launcher = 9 **frame start-up, Launch on hit, -12 frame disadvantage if guarded.

**Air L = 5 **frame start-up, **12 **frame advantage on hit, **11 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air M = 8 **frame start-up, **17 **frame advantage on hit, **16 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air H = 8 **frame start-up, **19 **frame advantage on hit, **18 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Air S = 10 **frame start-up, **15 **frame advantage on hit, **14 **frame advantage if guarded. Overhead
**Devil’s Claw = 18 **frame start-up, **Ground Bounce **on hit, **11 **frame advantage if guarded.

**Hell’s Spitfire L/M = 16 **frame start-up, **0 **advantage on hit, **-1 **frame disadvantage if guarded. 5 LOW projectile durability points
**Hell’s Spitfire H = 26 **frame start-up, Float on hit, **54 **frame advantage if guarded **+41 **if from the air.5 LOW projectile durability points

**Bon Voyage = 13 **frame start-up, Surftown USA on hit, **30 **frame disadvantage if guarded, **10 **frame advantage if guarded from **air.**Causes Wall-Bounce.

**Demon Missile L = 15 **frame start-up, **2 **advantage on hit, **1 **frame advantage if guarded. Enters Flight Upon Contact.
**Demon Missile M = 15 **frame start-up, **-17 **advantage on hit, **-18 **frame advantage if guarded. **Passes through enemies. **
Frame data reflects how Firebrand can’t move until after the animation ends.

**Demon Missile H = 23 **frame start-up, **-4 **advantage on hit, **-4 **frame advantage if guarded. Enters Flight Upon Contact.

Flight lasts 90 frames.

^^^ thank you sir

how with task?