The Complete Dudley Thread

also, I haven’t read anything about watching dudley escape the aegis mid screen trap(RX doing the trap makes dudley look all the more impressive).
dudley woke up, parried the urien d.jab, then parried the reflector ON THE OTHER SIDE OF HIM and then threw Urien threw the reflector!
But what really impressed me, was the use of standing jab to break the deflector practically instantly! Dudley hit it 5 times and broke it so quickly that he was able to get to Urien fast enough to aply wake up pressure, and then empty jump in and do d.jabx2XXsuper as I mentioned above.
So I guess s.jab is good for breaking reflectors :tup:

anyone know whos dudley that was?

Noice thread.

Does anyone like to do pressure mind games with Dudleys chain combos, I like to do s.mk-s.hp pause for a second then start up again with s.mk-s.hp, most ppl get confused on exactly what I’m doing, although this strategy is punishable it has proven useful for me but I try not to do it much since it does get predictable and ppl catch on real quick, I like to only do half of Dudleys chains then pause for a second and go into a different one to screw up the parry timing.

c.hk is usually easy to see coming :wink: i like the d.lkx2 for empty jumpins, etc. to each their own =)

In any case: You always have to parry to the side your opponent is, the Dudley parried to the left and parried the jab, but the Aegis hits from the other side so he parried left *you should jump into an Aegis, after 2-3 parries you suddenly parry to the other side :wink: its logic, because the Aegis hits from the other side, so you flip sides automatically

And Dudley got hit once by the Aegis after the throw, he got hit once, and blocked one or two hits if you’re talking about the vid im thinking about.

1 parry+1 hit+2 blocks = 4 aegishits already, which means the Aegis only has 2 hits left or so to say, and with those jabs it went just a bit faster :wink:

btw, if you tell me which vid it was, I can check it, maybe I know which dudley it is im thinking about totsukasensei perhaps? red shirt? must be totsukasensei or Jima

I only use s.lk, s.mk and c.lk, c.mp, c.hp This one is really easy to link after a UOH

after s.lk, s.mk I hitconfirm super, if it doesnt hit, it doesnt matter because s.mk leaves you at 0 frame advantage if im right, which means you both can do anything, there are a couple of things I do::

s.lk, s.mk ->
s.mk
parry high/low example: dudleys like to hit high and shotos low, use that logic to your advantage
ssb
throw

I usually use chains aswell as anti-air, because you can change the rhytm, or not do anything at all and then throw or c.lkx2 xx super :wink:

ummm.

honestly, i have never seen a competent Dudley player use c. jab x 2 into super.

it’s always c. short x 2 xx super.

oh. and you don’t link the c. shorts. they chain into each other.

why use c. short instead of c. roundhouse? it’s not really a matter of “instead,” it’s situational. c. short comes out faster than c. roundhouse so in certain situations, it’s much more reliable.

if someone blocks 2 c. shorts, that’s no problem. that sets up UOH -> super. that’s high/low if anything. so i don’t know why you said that c. shorts are useless in Dudley’s high/low game. they are, in fact, very useful.

you mentioned ticking into throws. c. short can tick into Dudley’s throw quite nicely.

you also mentioned kara throwing. Dudley’s kara is crap.

so once again, if i did c. jab x 2 into super on a standing character and they’re blocking, i’d get nothing. now if i did c. short x 2 into super on a standing character who’s blocking, guess what? they’ll get smacked :tup:.

c. shorts do everything c. jabs do. only better.

:rock:

you’re right, the shorts are rapid fire, my bad.

I think the d.RH and the twds.RH, are nice after a meaty ducking strong, cause they are both kinda slow and weird.
I saw this jap guy doing that all day on wake up.

He would either do, d.strong, f.rh-s.forward kick, or d.strong, d.rh. The spacing after the over head chain or sweep is really great, set-ups up nice jump in mixups.

interesting.

i’d probably stick a different move than a c. strong because like c. jab, it’s parriable high or low and that hinders the 50/50 set ups.

it’s sorta similar to Ken messing with someone on their wake up. good Ken players will do c. shorts, strong, fierce chain, back + forward or just throw. rarely will they use c. strong on an opponent’s wake up because the opponent can parry high or low and c. strong would be negated right there.

i agree with the spacing created though. it’s kinda like Dudley’s c. short, c. forward chain. or the more often used c. short, c. strong, c. fierce chain. just enough room to do an early j. roundhouse or empty jump in -> SSB.

Indeed, I wish I had those matches, so i could watch them again. I was watching them with nestor, and we were like, “random dudley is dangerous!”

I don’t really worry about people parrying when they get up because dudley is an anti-parry character. If you can train them to parry low shorts or low strong on wake up, then you’ve just guaranteed yourself free damage with an overhead or sweep. Dudley has so many options on wake up that guarantee you damage or stun.
If they parry your ducking strong, just cancel it into ssb, let them think they can parry dudley on wake up, then show them how wrong they are.

can anyone do a check for me?

i know that twds + forward x strong Jet Uppercut xx Corkscrew does about 7 points more damage than s. roundhouse x strong Jet Uppercut xx Corkscrew, but how does c. strong x strong Jet Upperuct xx Corkscrew fair in the damage department?

reason i’m curious is because i remember epsilon_ saying that twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut does more damage than c. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut. also, i sometimes screw up twds + forward x strong Jet Uppercut when going in to punish a missed super or uppercut. i find c. strong x strong Jet Uppercut xx super much, much, much easier to do.

thanks to anyone who bothers :lol:.

Sorry Kal, I meant to post this a while ago… But yeah f+mk xx mp dp xx SA3 does 5 more points of damage than c strong.

thanks eps.

weird though. they’re both medium strength attacks, but they differ in damage.

on a side note, i’ve pretty much abandoned Rocket Uppercut as my SA of choice :lol:. Corkscrew is too good. i still use Rocket vs. a few characters, but for the most part now, it’s all about the Cork. i never used to pay attention to the amount of stock, but it really does make a difference.

Yeah, told you man, cork is the truth. More supers matters more than you think till you start using the super with more stocks.

Character Specific Matchups

Reccomened SA will be in order of usage if more than one is applicable. All Contributors will be put in credits. My theory about matchups is that you need to know what the other character can do just as well as you know what Dudley can do.

Alex

work in progress

Akuma

work in progress

Chun-Li 6-4 Chun-Li

Reccomended SA: SA1, SA3

No matter how you slice it, a good Chun is a tough matchup for any Dudley. Blocking low is important in this matchup, as is using your jumps wisely. Chun has the best ground game in 3s, but Dudley does alot of damage, and is hard to defend against, so he needs to use his advantages wisely. Play footsies with chun by walking back and forth outside of her ranges with s.mp, random (but not whiffed) c.rh, and s.rh(Canceled into ex MGB outside of range, use this to punish chuns whiffed fierces) building meter. Randomly jumping to get in, and mixing up from there. I find empty jump, throw works well against chun and sets up throw baits. I wouldnt try throwing chun excessively though because she has so many anti throw moves. With super, I would definately reccomend against it, it’s a very easy way to catch a c.mk super. If chun knocks you down in the corner with meter, I would just take the throw, or try something like s.rh xx short swing blow to create a little breathing room, or c.lk-c.mp-c.hp chain to push her off you with something quick. Something to realize is that you WILL get hit by the super, so don’t let it take you out of your game, you can’t always guess right. Once Chun is in the corner, it’s anyones game, but remember be patient and don’t get frustrated. To be honest, Dudley loses this matchup till he gets something lucky, but he has so much random damage it evens out a bit.

Notes:Chun can be c.rhed twice midscreen, Chun wakes up crouching, so the meaty block rule does not apply to her. Chun falls out of dp xx SA1 combos. Chun gets up slowly, meaning you can do super, rh duck, j.rh over, mixup on her, which henceforth I will be calling the j.rh mixup.

Dudley

work in progress

Elena

work in progress

Hugo 7-3 Dudley

Reccomended SA:While I used to think 1 was better, 3 is actually your best choice in this matchup so you can employ more of an anti air strategy.

Hugo really isnt hard at all. Fight him like a shoto aka mostly on the ground, I like to fight hugo outside of his c.mk range. Throw out lots of s.mp and s.rh because you want that meter. s.rh xx exx mgb option select is very good in this matchup. f+fp is a good move to smack his whiffs, random c.rh will keep him on his toes. random rose really isnt bad either because the roses arc pretty much shuts down hugos jumps. Don’t get close to hugo, because 1, if you’re close he can gigas/spd you, and 2 you dont need to be close to fight hugo. Duck super when he jumps. early j.rh antics are also reccomended here once you knock him down, but DO NOT GET PARRIED, if hugo has meter don’t do this, it isn’t worth it.

notes:s.rh, c.mp/s.mp links on hugo.

Ibuki 5.5-4.5 Dudley

Reccomened SA:SA3 only, Ibuki jumps alot, and takes damage like a bitch all at the same time.

Well basically Ibuki is an extremely tricky character, probably the trickiest in 3s. She has alot of anti throw stuff, so I reccomend against throwing in reset situations most of the time. Alot of times after a c.rh s.rh(far) chain Ibuki will super jump after you and either parry or attack. Duck under SA3 negates all of this. You can reversal super Ibuki after kind of alot of stuff, but REVERSAL only meaning you have to be either really fast or expecting it. f+rh, poorly spaced slide,close c.mk, and poorly spaced UOH can all be punished with reversal super. Dudley’s s.mk is good in this matchup because it tends to beat out normal daggers and other stuff she does when she’s flipping on your head. EX dp can always be punished if blocked (and she doesn’t cancel into sa1) with your own ex dp. those jab traps are annoying, but just wait till you see an opening or something. block low on wakeup, the only high thing she has that you cant see and block on reaction is UOH. f.rh her alot, a smart Ibuki will block low vs Dudley. do not(try) punish slides with c.mp unless its a very close slide. s.rh is ok in this matchup, but if you whiff it too much you will get hit with slides. c.mp is pretty good, watch out for random ex slide when youre building meter. f.mk is also good in this matchup. I wouldnt reccomened jumping at Ibuki too frequently, she has some good AA mixups.

notes:Ibuki is short on crouch, so she cant be hit with s.rh xx ex machine gunblow if shes crouching. So I just go for s.rh xx duck super if i get a jump in. also ibuki is skinny, s.rh xx ex mgb, f+mk xx dp will not work on her. use jab mgb, mk duck upper as your ender instead. Ibuki is a girl so c.rh juggles work on her in the corner, she is very skinny so i reccomend doing some jab mgbs too to so you wont miss a c.rh.

Ken 5-5

Reccomended SA: SA3, SA1

Alot of people may be surprised at my 5-5 matchup, but I truly believe it’s even. Dudley fights Ken well on the ground. Ken will use s.fp, c.mk, ex fireballs, c.rh, his dp, and s.mk mostly to keep you out. Thankfully you can counter alot of his stuff if you’re smart. C.Rh can be punished at any range with rh duck xx fierce SA3, and s.mk can be punished up close with s.mp (meaning s.mp xx duck xx super). F+Fp is good in this match because it moves forward so much and will hit Ken buidling meter or whiffing c.mk. Something flashG told me, that helped me alot in this and playing Dudley in general is DON’T THROW SO MUCH STUFF OUT. I can’t count how many times Paulee and FlashG would parry loose shit I did, and then how much better I did when I spaced my normals out. Don’t always pressure with Dudley. Anyway you know what Ken does, in most situations I’d reccomened what I do with Chun, BLOCK LOW, and follow your heart. Blocking low alone will decimate most scrub Ken’s who don’t hit confirm c.mk. f+mk works well in this match too. Duck under, SA3 is also very good when you predict Ken’s crossup. Dudley can be crossed up in the corner as well, so be aware of that. If you parry a deep anti air, start your combo with j.fp or another fast normal, as j.rh’s startup is too slow to come out before you hit the ground.

Notes:C.mk is punishable up close with reversal super, Shotos get up slowly, so j.rh mixup midscreen.

Makoto

work in progress

Necro

work in progress

Oro

work in progress

Q

work in progress

Remy

work in progress

Ryu

work in progress

Sean

work in progress

Twelve

work in progress

Urien

work in progress

Yang

work in progress

Yun

work in progress

This is bascially just a skeleton of what’s to come, I just put Ken and Chun up because they’re pretty much the most common matchups you’ll encounter. Remeber if anyone wants to contribute, or finds anything they think is incorecct I will definately edit and change the guide to be the most efficent it can be.

vs. Makoto

Super Art: Rocket Uppercut or Corkscrew Blow. Dudley can build meter in this matchup rather quickly, so the stock isn’t as crucial here as say, when fighting Ken.

stuff to look out for: Makoto going for ticks into Karakusa. Makoto players usually use c. short, c. jab/s. jab, s. strong, twds + strong, c. forward, etc. sometimes Makoto players will bait you into thinking they’ll tick, so be wary of that as well.

Makoto has only 1 low combo, and that’s c. short x jab Hayate. regarding overheads, she has 2, both of which can go into supers. her UOH you don’t have to worry about when she’s using Abare Tosanami. if she’s using Seichusen, then watch out for her spacing. her Oroshi is super cancellable, so keep an eye out for that as well.

in this matchup, i find that option selecting s. roundhouse x EX MGB to be of great importance. 1) it stops her dash in attempts and 2) it’ll nail her limbs if she’s trying to poke. Makoto is one of the easier characters to juggle, so that means extra damage and options for Dudley.

twds + fierce is another great normal to abuse here. great range and priority vs. Makoto. same can be said with twds + forward.

regarding specials, the one to really use vs. Makoto is SSB. you can avoid certain post Hayate mixups by SSBing right after you get hit by the Hayate. if they try to c. short or try to grab immediately after, they’ll get smacked :tup:.

you don’t really have to use Ducking rushes to get in when fighting Makoto because she’ll be the one coming to you. as mentioned earlier, option selecting s. roundhouse x EX MGB is your best friend.

in this match i find that i jump more often than in others. one reason is to avoid getting grabbed when she’s up close, the other is to pressure when she’s reeling. jumping straight up is a great tool in this matchup. do early j. roundhouse -> super or late j. fierce -> combo. when jumping around, don’t do so recklessly because good Makotos will EX Fukiage you if you’re not careful.

i posted the combos i use vs. Makoto on the first page of this thread, but i’ll put them here as well.

midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  3. c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  4. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

super cancel #3 into Corkscrew if you have one handy. #4 isn’t as easy as it seems.

corner

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 4 -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  3. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 2 -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> dash -> s. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut

#1 is the combo i use the most in the corner because it’s the easiest :lol:.

couple of things:

Makoto is 1 of 3 characters in the game who will get hit by s. roundhouse x forward Ducking Uppercut EVEN WHEN STANDING. the other 2 are Yun and Yang.

Makoto is also the recepient of this stupid link - s. roundhouse -> s. fierce :lol:. pretty useless, but has good stun!

sorry ive been kinda absent from this thread. pso and gb:wce are owning me right now. ill probably add a few more characters to the strat sections tomm.

added hugo and ibuki to the matchup section.

are you sure hugo x dudley is hugo 7 x 3 dudley?
ain’t it the oposite (dud 7 x 3 hugo) ?

the character after is the one who wins, its pointless to say both names. its like at a basketball game, if someone asks the score, youd say blah blah blah blah then the team name at the end

ah , sorry
lol
it’s cause i’m not used to basketball game results…
just soccer results…
at least here in brasil it goes like Team A # x # Team B
sorry :slight_smile:
nice thread .

More matchups Jay. If you dont finish this thread, i wont take you to the next sc tourny :clap:

What about stuffing wakeup attempts?
I have good luck stuffing them by mashing out F+mk then either tick throw or do it again a few times then mixup with a f+rh or cr. shorts. if they block the shorts i’m back to UOH range > super.

any other way to stop wakeups by the opponent?