The Complete Dudley Thread

Ok (notice the capitalization haha) this will be the actual comprehensive Dudley thread. In vein of my friend Haunts’ thread, I felt there needed to be a current, constantly updated strategy database for old and new Dudley’s alike.

Normal Moveset

Standing

s.lp - EDIT This move is actually pretty good in setting up throw/high/low when they are already knocked down as an alternative to f+mk. Typical jab properties.

4/1/6 +3 Blocked/Hit/Crouching Hit
Parry High/Low
o/o/o

s.mp - Standing medium punch is a great move. It is your safest meter builder, and whiffs extremely quickly. Good range, speed, priority, and damage potential. Learn s.mp xx mk/lk ducking xx super like the back of your hand. Can be crouched by characters smaller than shotos.

4/1/10 +1 Blocked +2 Hit +3 Crouch Hit
Parry High
x/o/o

s.hp - EDIT s.hp is actually pretty good, has really high priority/damage just dont get lazy when throwing it out, because people will parry it(it is only one hit). F+fp is another story, but we’ll talk about it later. It does solid damage, and is decently fast with good priority, but it barely has more range that s.mp, which hinders its usefulness.

EDIT:I’ve known about this for a while now, but the great thing about s.fp is that it hits mid, so its impossible to dash under, against a makoto if u whiff a bunch of s.mps she will dash under you and have her way with you, so be wary of this.

8/2/17 -1 Blocked +1 Hit +3 Crouch Hit
Parry High
x/x/o

s.lk - This move isn’t really that great on its own. It does chain into s.mk (which you can link into super), and is decently fast, but it is a relatively weak move on its own. EDIT This move CANNOT be crouched, by anyone, but remember it can still be parried high or low.

6/1/8 +2 Block/Hit/Crouch Hit
Parry High or Low
x/o/o

s.mk - I like this move a lot, it has a lot of uses. For one, it attacks well above your head, providing excellent cross-up defense. It has frame advantage on hit, and you can link into SA1 or SA3 quite easily off of it. It has strange block stun as well, so it makes for a great tick/parry bait.

6/2/13 +0 Blocked +2 Hit +2 Crouching Hit
Parry High
x/x/x

s.hk - Ooh this move is great. This is one of the best normal moves in 3s period. One of its best uses is a whiff punisher. This is the only way to fully combo into ex machine gun blow on the ground, it has extremely high priority, good speed, good damage, excellent frame advantage, and GREAT damage potential. You can use the high priority to hit off limbs, and combo into ex machine gun blow from very far ranges. You may use the excellent priority as an anti air, canceled into rh duck/EDITJab MGB/Fierce DP/SA3 (to avoid parry retaliation, and to combo into super from behind, but more about that later.). In addition to that it provides Dudley’s easiest hit confirm in addition to one of the best throw mixups in 3s in the same setup! (s.rh xx duck super/throw etc…) * EDIT* <–I don’t do this anymore, good players don’t fall for it anymore, if you want to do this mixup do it off c.mp instead. I guess its OK if you were trying to do s.rh xx duck super and the s.rh didn’t hit, but otherwise, I’d steer clear.

6/2/12 +4 Block +6 Hit +8 Crouching Hit
Parry High
x/o/o

Crouching

c.lp - There is virtually no reason to ever use this. c.lk is superior in every way, as this does not hit low. EDIT This move comes out if you crouch tech (jab+short when crouching to avoid throws) and loses to many low moves, namely chun-li c.mk, so don’t think you will be safe just crouch teching everything, sometimes you have to take the throw if you want to play safe, also crouch teching loses to option select parry, as jabs can be parried high or low, the more experienced players already know this, but for new players.

4/1/9 +1 Block/Hit/Crouching Hit
Parry High or Low
x/o/o

c.mp - C.mp is pretty good. C.mp xx mk ducking xx super is very useful. Has the same range as s.mp, but slightly easier to duck super off of c.mp. Good to whiff randomly. More recovery than s.mp though… If you’re close you can link into super just like Ken.EDIT Like I said in the s.rh section, ducking mixups are much better used off the mk duck, and this normal.

5/1/9 +2 Block +3 Hit +4 Crouching Hit
Parry High or Low
x/o/o

c.hp - Solid move, hits at a good angle to be used as an AA. Solid priority against ground moves too. EDIT Another thing for newer players, most notably Urien’s c.mk also many times if they anti-air parry this move early, you recover first.

8/3/13 +0 Block +2 Hit +2 Crouching Hit
Parry High or Low
x/x/x

c.lk - Great move. Short, Short super just like shotos do. Short is a great move to use meaty to stuff things, and you can play games with it by canceling into short duckEDIT(SPARINGLY, just another trick in your arsenal).Good stuff. Highly recommended. EDIT Empty jump in c.lk x1/2 into super is really good when used correctly, people do not expect this very often.

5/1/10 +0 Block/Hit/Crouch Hit
Parry Low
o/o/o

c.mk - This move is actually pretty good to do after blocking crouching medium kicks. It seems highly punishable, and the frame data says it sucks, but not even the best players can punish it if you’re using it correctly. Knockdown on hit. EDIT I still do use this move occasionally, but holy shit it is soooo unsafe! Like for example, ken will get a free dash in move xx super on block! Just something to keep in mind, but it is still good for the reason i said like more than a year ago.

10/2/22 -12 Block Knockdown on Hit/Crouch Hit
Parry Low
x/x/x

c.hk - Dudley staple right here. Even the most noob Dudley’s have heard about the infamous c.hk corner juggles. This is one of the low parts of Dudley’s scary high/low game. C.hk can be juggled up to 6 times in the corner against All Girls, Remy, Alex, Oro, Q, Dudley, and Necro. EDIT You can sweep Alex/Dudley/Oro/Elena/Chun-li twice midscreen, extremely unsafe to whiff against a Chun with meter, useful for sweeping Chun-li’s c.mk sometimes though.

16/2/21 +1 Block Knockdown on Hit/Crouching Hit
Parry Low
x/x/x

Jumping*

j.lp - Don’t use this, quite simply, it sucks.

4/3

j.mp - Hits at kind of a weird angle, EDIT This move is your main air to air move, if you need a move to hit in front of you in the air, use this. this will beat out ken ex hurricane with relative consistency. if this works i usually do j.mp, s.mp duck super, because s.mp is the fastest normal dudley has that will still allow you to hit confirm the super because of j.mp’s light hitstun. EDIT You may also do air to air j.mp duck xx super, but better players will parry it, so use it sparingly.

5/4

j.hp - This is your most damaging jump-in attack. Start all stun combos with this (or c.hk agains the juggleables in the corner). It has very high priority, and you can mixup the timing on it pretty well. J.hp, throw is a good tick. EDIT Jumping towards them with an early j.fp (timed so it looks like it will hit, but does not) then ex DP when you land is the kokujin special, it is good to use in a situation where you feel your opponent is desperate or nervous. Just keep in mind blocking in that situation destroys it, (although very few people will block in that situation unless you’ve been abusing it)

8/2

j.lk - Don’t use this, J.mk is better.

4/16

j.mk - Pretty good jump in or air to air(what I use it for mostly). Stays out for a while, and if it hits, feel free to link into super.

5/12

**j.hk - This is a very scary move. This intimidating move’s timing can be mixed up very well and will link into super very easily even if it hits the top of their head. If you don’t have meter and you hit an early one, I usually do fierce dp. J.hk blocked throw/short swing blow/f.rh/short short super is a good mixup. To throw after doing this move you need to wait a good bit, because of the heavy frame advantage. EDIT Jump over then with j.rh, ex DP when you land works but like this j.fp trick, don’t get too abusive with it.

11/3

*Note:All jumping attacks are parried high.
**Note:J.hk knocks down air-to-air, it also has considerably more frame advantage than the other jump in attacks.

Command Normals

f+lp - These chain into themselves, and aren’t really useful in any way. I think Munakata whiffs these then f+rh but they really don’t have any use on their own. EDIT The same revision for s.lp falls here as well, but I tend to use f+lp more.

5/1/8 +1 On Hit
Parry High or Low
o/o/o

f+mp - This moves you forward a good bit, and has decent priority. Decent poke.

9/4/10 -1 Hit
Parry High
x/x/x
Not sure why Kara Throw does not have complete frame data for command normals.

f+hp - Very good, fights shoto c.mk very well, and has very high priority. Moves you forward, and combos into super up close (though I don’t see why you’d be using it that close). Lots of startup, and very punishable on whiff (completely safe on block though) use with intelligence.

16/4/16 -3 Hit
Parry High
x/x/o

f+mk - <3 this move. It’s really good. Moves you forward slightly, links into super very easily, stops dashes very well, good poke with high priority, good tick. Whiff this move over people to scare them, and build meter. Mixup on blockers accordingly. (Throw, ssb, f+rh, short, short etc…)

6/1/9 +2 Hit
Parry High
x/o/o

f+rh - This move is ridiculous, and one of 3s’ best period. Fastest command overhead in the game with a blazing fast 13 frame startup. Links into super only on crouch, chains into s.mk. Makes for a decent tick too.

13/3/16 -2 on hit and (no real data) but, It is at least +2 on Crouching Hit.
Parry High
x/x/x

Chains

Dudley has alot of useless chains…

s.lp-s.mp-s.mk - this chain is special cancelable, but because it starts with s.lp you’re virtually never going to land it.

s.mp-s.mk-s.hp - EDIT Relatively useful anti-air chain.

s.lk-s.mk-s.mp-s.hp - This chain sucks all together, but if you stop at mk, you may link into super.

s.mk-s.hk-s.hp - this chain is actually pretty good as anti air because its relatively tough to parry.

c.lk-c.mp-c.hp - Useful chain because it hits low and does decent damage.

c.lk-c/s.mk - Weird chain, because the mk pushes you back too far to link into super. Pushes them kinda far back, so I wouldn’t recommend doing it a lot.

f+mk-s.mk-s.hp - Only reason I would do it is if you want a safe way to kill someone after you hit them with f+mk when you have no meter lol…

Specials

Machine gun blow(hcf+p) - EDIT The EX version is the most useful, and that can be only comboed off of s.rh, however, using s.rh xx jab mgb is another anti air parry trick in you arsenal.

Jet Uppercut(dp+p) - The EX version will blow through all meaties, the other versions tend to lose vs meatiesEDIT Or even throws… Use the mp version in combos into super, unless youre playing against a character that falls out during the combo (Chun, Alex, Remy)

Ducking Upper/Straight(Hcf+k/p respectively) - Useful in juggle combos Ducking upper will always combo on MakotoEDITand Yun/Yang after s.rh. Also usefull to combo into super (sans upper/straight) off the aforementioned normals. All versions do the same damage. Not exable. This move can also go though projectiles with a few exceptions. No air fireballs (Akuma, Ibuki’s Kunai), Remy’s LoV, and no super fireballs. EDIT ANOTHER GREAT USE FOR DUCKING STRAIGHT is to do it when you’re too far away to set up a mix up after a knockdown, but you think they will try to jump away from you, it will smack them out of the air.

Short Swing Blow(hcb+k) - This move is very good. Super cancelable, safe on block, hit confirmable, avoids throws, and is very powerful for a normal hit. Use after duck mixups training your opponent to tech throw. Good on resets when you think your opponent will throw. j.rh, throw/ssb is great. All versions do the same damage sans EX. Ex Does 3 hits, knocks down, and is also cancelable into super.

Cross Counter - Don’t use this. You might as well just parry high. EX able. The lighter the punch, the MORE the recovery.

Punch And Cross - Weird punch, then cross counter. Don’t use this either.

Super Moves

Super Art 1: Rocket Uppercut

This is a good super. 1 frame startup, works well in all but a few combos, 2 healthy stocks, big damage.

Super Art 2: Rolling Thunder

This super sucks. 1 Medium sized meter isn’t good for Dudley, who is sort of an EX whore. 3 Frame startup means it will not link of f+hk on crouch. Virtually useless in juggles as well.

Super Art 3: Corkscrew Blow

This super is also really good. 1 Frame startup like SA1, 3 shippu sized stocks, more useful in anti air situations than SA1, decent damage, good damage if done of f+rh on crouch, easier to use in combos than SA1. (opponent won’t fall out in certain situations)

Excellent thread. Dart Shot is a 13 frame start-up I think.

www.karathrow.com/dudley.html = frame data and somebody sticky this shit ASAP

I wouldnt say “DONT” use cross-counters ever, every move has its use, just gotta know when to do it.

good stuff, epsilon_.

in the chains section, particularly the s. short, s. forward, s. strong, s. fierce chain, you mention that if you stop at s. forward that you can link into super. that much is obvious, :lol:, but you can still link into super after the s. strong portion. probably another obvious point.

if i may, i’ll list the combos i use and on which characters i use them on.

vs. Shotos, Urien, Hugo, Twelve & Twins midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  3. c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  4. c. roundhouse -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut
  5. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Shotos, Urien, Hugo, Twelve & Twins in the corner

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> jab MGB -> short SSB
  3. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> EX Jet Uppercut -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  4. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> jab MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut or SSB

vs. Urien and Twelve #3 is done without jab MGB. so after the EX Jet, it’s twds + forward x fierce Jet.

vs. Hugo #3 looks like so: c. roundhouse -> EX Jet Uppercut -> s. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut

vs. Chun-Li midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut
  2. c. roundhouse -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Chun-Li in the corner

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 4 -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 3 -> jab MGB -> short SSB
  3. c. roundhouse x 5 -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight
  4. c. roundhouse x 4 -> jab MGB -> short SSB

vs. Elena midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse -> dash -> c. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. c. roundhouse -> c. roundhouse -> dash -> c. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut

vs. Elena in the corner

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 4 -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> fierce Jet Uppercut -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  3. c. roundhouse x 5 -> fierce Jet Uppercut
  4. c. roundhouse -> fierce Jet Uppercut -> fierce Jet Uppercut

vs. Makoto midscreen

2. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

#2 isn’t as easy as it sounds, so if i’m wanting to secure a match, i’ll just do c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut/Ducking Straight.

vs. Makoto in the corner

2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB-> c. roundhouse x 2 -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> dash -> s. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut (thank you, YellowS4 :lol:)
  3. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> fierce Jet Uppercut

#3 is the combo i use most often vs. Makoto in the corner because it’s the easiest :lol:. and yeah, you can begin all of the corner ones with a c. roundhouse instead.

vs. Dudley midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> forward Ducking Uppercut
  2. c. roundhouse -> c. roundhouse -> dash -> fierce Jet Uppercut

vs. Dudley in the corner

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> c. roundhouse x 4 -> forward Ducking Uppercut
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut
  3. c. roundhouse x 5 -> forward Ducking Uppercut
  4. c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> jab MGB -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Q midscreen

1. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> short SSB
  2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut

i’ve never tried to sweep Q more than once midscreen. i’ll have to try that out.

vs. Q in the corner

2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> fierce Jet Uppercut -> s. strong x fierce Jet Uppercut

both may be initiated with c. roundhouse instead. i’m sure you guys already know that :karate:.

vs. Remy midscreen

not sure if you can sweep him twice, so if i do land a c. roundhouse midscreen, i go for the super basic forward Ducking Uppercut finisher!

vs. Remy in the corner

2. c. roundhouse -> EX Jet Uppercut -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut

vs. Ibuki -> i don’t get to play vs. Ibuki at all :shake:. i do know you can multi-sweep her in the corner.

vs. Necro midscreen

2. c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Necro in the corner

2. c. roundhouse x 5 -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Alex midscreen

2. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut
  3. c. roundhouse -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Alex in the corner

2. EX SSB -> strong Jet Uppercut :clap:

#2 can also be done vs. Hugo.

vs. Oro midscreen

2. c. roundhouse -> c. roundhouse -> forward Ducking Uppercut

vs. Oro in the corner

same as Remy.

i think that’s it. i shoulda done the whole “same as whoever” to shorten the post :lol:. sorry if it’s a tad long. if i forgot a vs. someone, that’s quite the regular occurence :lol:.

:rock:

way to understand the game :tup: this will make you better, ill leave the advice giving to you guys

ill say one thing though,

when you play, and you make decisions considering all the combos you know, go for damage/stun/meter depending on the situation, you’re game will be more effective. so think about it.

good thing you have that list kal el, my bros gonna be practicing alot of them…
and btw,as to what have been posted above me, w/c will do more damage?

I’m going to ask Buk to consolodate this thread. So I can make the 1st 3 posts are strictly information to make it look uniform, with a Combos and Strategy/Matchups part. All helpers will be put in the credits, thanks.

good shit. Strategy will be interesting

here’s a strategy …

stand-forward XX round house (blocked) , link in another roundhouse XX duckin , throw …

again, it’s dependent on the character you’re facing, but generally speaking, s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut is the most damaging midscreen combo. s. roundhouse x EX MGB -> jab MGB -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut for the corner. those 2 are relatively easy to execute and do great damage for the meter expended.

if you’re gonna use a super, linking is usually the best way to go about it. however, if you have an opportunity to punish and you’re willing to use a super, twds + forward x strong Jet Uppercut xx SA1 or SA3 is best for damage. when using SA1, that combo does 1 point more damage than s. roundhouse x strong Jet xx Rocket and does 7 points more damage than s. roundhouse x strong Jet xx Corkscrew.

as VictoLy mentioned though, always keep in mind the damage/stun/and meter used when doing combos.

BTW, epsilon, you say that only EX. MGB is of any use, but jab MGB can be useful as an anti air as there are more hits to parry and is decent when you use it as a tool to aid you with all of Dudley’s other anti-airs. Also, if someone is jumping in at you, and you don’t have the meter to duck under them as they jump in and Super them from behind, Fierce MGB can be a good idea, it moves you significantly across the screen safely and builds your meter slightly. This can be of particular use against Yun / Yang players who have you in the corner and are spamming the dive kick against you.

Jab MGB is very easy to parry by any decent player, and it’s start up hinders it against deep attacks. If want to get behind someone, you might as well do rh duck, it leaves Dudley closer, and fierce mgb makes him get in all over again. I’ll start the combos section today.

Congratulations , this stuff is great …
I just never agree when people say that CC is useless … I just love that move lol …
It never works , but who cares?

I think you do …

Keep the good job :clap: .

Why did they take out that teleport thing that he had in 2nd Impact?

Easily punishable if missed. He has SSB now so fugeduhboudit!:tup:

if done on its own, yeah, jab MGB will probably get stuffed by a deep attack on start up.

however, when you’re punishing would be empty jumpers who are wanting to parry anti-airs, then s. strong x jab MGB or s. roundhouse x jab MGB is one of many options Dudley has for anti-airs. along with the chains or a normal cancelled into Corkscrew.

well, there is one use. i’ve actually comboed into SAI with the towards+jab. you can do one twds+jab or two twd+jabs XXrocket uppercut (more hit confirmable)

hey kal el thanks for posting the combos. i got a question though.

the juggle combo that ends with towards+mk, fierce uppercut, i just cant do it right. my question is, when you do the towards+mk do you the just do down-downforward+fierce to make the uppercut come out, or do yo do towards+mk then forward-downforward-fwd+fierce?

and epsilon and kal el, do yall know any good stun combos ? like for example if they are backed up in the corner and their stun meter is about to fill up and you hit em air-to-air with jumping fierce, and they get stunned. what you can follow that up with? standing mp or something? once against the computer ibuki i did two crouching fierces after i stunned them with a air-to-air fierce.

as far as the Cross counter, i’ve thought of one way to use it. against yun and yang. early in the match, if they try to dive kick you do a medium punch CC, yeah, you take the damage, but they take more because of their bad stamina. more importantly, it takes away from the yun/yang player’s jump-in game plan(which the dive kick is a big part of)

oh, and also about the roundhouse ducking, i did this funny cross up the other day against a ken player. he was doing a jumpin roundhouse from kinda far away, so i did roundhouse ducking, ended up on the other side of him while before he landed, did crouching jabXXSA1 combo while he was in the air. Dudley is tight. :rock:

1. you’re better off linking into super from s. short, s. forward. much easier to land and much easier to hit confirm.

2. practice twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut on a standing opponent. it’s a cancel, so it’s similar to doing s. roundhouse x fierce Jet Uppercut, just that you have to hold twds.

3. if say, i stun Ken while he’s getting hit by EX MGB, i’ll do jab MGB -> c. fierce -> forward Ducking Uppercut. it’s not really all that fancy, but it sure is much, much easier than doing 2 jab MGBs :lol:. if they’re gonna get stunned right after EX MGB, i’ll jump up and do fierce (they get stunned) -> twds + forward x fierce Jet Uppercut. that’s about as stuncomboish i get :lol:.

4. don’t do c. jab, c. jab xx super. stick to c. short, c. short xx super. why? c. jab can be blocked/parried low or high. c. short is a low parry/low block only. way better for high/low mixups.

i don’t like d.shortx2–>super because you have to link the shorts. jab jab is much easier because it’s rapid fire, and you only have 2 frames to link the shorts, so it’s easy to fuck up in the clutch.
also, ducking short leaves you without any frame advantage if they block it, and comes out in 5 frames(while jab comes out in 4).
And since you have to link the shorts, they push you far away from the opponent if they hit or are blocked. This is important to note because it doesn’t let you step back out of throw range and connect 2 into super. Even letting them block one will put you out of kara throw range, where jab will leave u in range with frame advantage. Plus you have to be in THEIR throw range to do d.shortx2XXsuper…so I don’t see the usefullness of it.(d.jab, karathrow trick)
If you watch the match between RX urien and (can’t remember if it’s KO’s dudley or someone else)dudley, you’ll se dudley empty jump in at urien, land, then do d.jabx2XXcorkscrew blow, from jumping feirce range*
*this is important to note becasue it means that empty jumping from that range won’t get you randomly thrown when you land…and we all have problems with that :rolleyes: .

I do see what you’re saying about short hitting low, but if I was doing a high low game with dudley, I would be utilizing the sweep(d.RH)combos.
IMHO, i think short is kinda useless, and I haven’t seen it utilized since I saw that 3rd strike tape with RYO-chin, YSB, and KO on it.
d.short is useless in a high low game…why go for a quarter life when you could set-up for atleast half life d.RH?

…a lot of words about d.short lol