THE Combo Video thread (New Releases + Commentary)

Okay so thanks again majestros for the vids. I loved the ryu lvl 8 clip specifically for that nonsense againts ai guile where you whiff a dp to get him ot flash kick and then punish. hahaha. The zangief vid didn’t have anything to interesting I saw, Except for the awesome lariat against the barrels. OH and yes that tree is awesome.

SSZero and Kabuki Klash? Nice find w/ the kofunion site.
Try using something like FlashGet or a regular FTP program (not IE’s) to download from there. Most of them auto-retry so it’s less of a fuss.

Valle vs Daigo SFA3 Matches (First USA vs Japan event)
homepage: http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/monmon999/index.html
movie page: http://www.geocities.co.jp/xtfwc909/zero3.html
(scroll down to the bottom and download the three ~30.8mb rmvb files)

commentary:
I’ve seen some crazy edited version of these matches but i’m not sure if the complete uncut versions were ever posted before. They are pretty intense matches even though this was the early days of Alpha 3 before crouch cancel infinites became the only way to play. For those of you unfamiliar with random SF scene history, Japan held an A3 tournament to decide who would fly out to America to represent Japan. The final match was Daigo vs Ohnuki, both playing V-Akuma and Daigo won. Back then nobody had seen what V-Akuma was capable of doing. Daigo flew out here and watched the entire US A3 nationals tournament that was supposed to decide who he was gonna play. So the whole tournament Valle played X-Rolento and beat everyone down except he couldn’t beat Graham Wolfe’s A-Dhalsim in the finals. He was forced to use his secret bidness character V-Ryu (that him and Choi developed together) to beat Graham with Daigo standing right behind them watching everything. Anyway Valle wins the tournament and gets to face off against Daigo.
The format winds up being three out of five rounds, two out of three matches. So Valle wins the first match and then wins two rounds of the second match, then Daigo pulls off this crazy comeback and wins three rounds in a row to win the second match. Daigo goes on to win the third match, and they are both sitting there waiting to start the next match when the announcer dude walks in the middle and declares Daigo the winner. You can see Valle in the background looking confused as all hell, talking to the people around him and to the announcer. Turns out he was told that it was gonna be three out of five matches. Hella fair! Still, Valle came within one round of winning the first US vs Japan event.
The coolest thing about all this is that after this event, Valle drops V-Ryu and starts playing V-Akuma in local tournaments. And Daigo goes back to Japan and drops V-Akuma to start playing V-Ryu. A bunch of years later during another meeting with Japanese players, Ohnuki was talking about how they saw the footage when the Japanese crew returned. He said that if he had gone instead of Daigo he thinks he would have lost to Valle. Goes to show you that Ohnuki is a cool kid (who just happens to have a rivalry with Daigo).
By the way, i wasn’t around back then so i have no idea now i know all this shit. Guess i just hung around the right people.

edit: I just used an online translator on the filenames for those rmvb clips and and it looks like it was labeled by a WWF announcer. Check it out:
Crash! Japan-U.S. fighting game king ? super battle tournament tour ? Japan-U.S. confrontation - 1

Majestros :

Daigo was like …15-16 years OLD !@#@# :wow:

what a memorable experience

Woah, the 100+ mb video right above those 3 handheld cam vids shows a bit of the Japanese side of their A3 Nationals. There’s hella A-Bisons all over the place (no, not THAT A-Groove Dictator, it’s A-Ism Dictator), which makes me wonder why he was good back then before the V-Ism craze started…

P.S. Hot damn, didn’t know Chikyuu = GQ Sodom and he tied for 3rd in Japanese Nationals (after getting knocked out by Nuki…).

good find man! awesome!

I can’t find the alpha 3 matches. But i did find a link to a lot of jp webcams and someone drew a picture like this:
? ,???i
??? | ???-??–<??\ |
??? 7 ? , – ?, —??? ?
??? /? / ???i, ,?? ? ?? ?
??? |? ?-=?=- ?-=?=- ???|
???/???/ ???
??? ?????
??? ??? ???
???–´ l| ???-?
???–?’/,? ??? ?
???,?? ??? |???
? /::::??? ?|_.|?-? ?V ??? ?
? >-??__/??El?,? : |o??i???o
??? ???: |???’’’?’?
???|??? : |
?? ???´??? :?
If anyone could tell me how to find the file, please do. The daigo vs Valle one. Thanks.

So i was talking to omni and waterb0y the other day and they kicked down some extra random trivia. Here is what they said almost word for word.

For those of you who don’t know, Graham Wolfe was this crazy good Dhalsim player back in the day. One of the godfathers - back when you could pick a character and be known for figuring him out unlike today. Every other Dhalsim player at the time lost to Rolento no matter what. So Graham holed up in his apartment for like a month after buying an A3 board and played NOTHING but Dhalsim. He was the first Dhalsim player to actually beat Rolento, even forcing Valle to play V-Ryu. After the Daigo vs Valle match, there was an exhibition where Daigo played A-Guy and beat down all the famous American players. Graham was the only player there who beat Daigo’s A-Guy.

Another tidbit of info to add to the story … That ghetto ass V-Ryu combo that Valle does - in Jpn they call that, “the alex combo.” I remember Viscant saying that Valle figured out 2987398723434 different confusion VC setups playing at SHGL because he kept fucking up the combo VC and had to improvise. (Btw, “confusion VC” means all resets as opposed to guaranteed combo VC’s.)

Also after that matchup - Daigo played V-Ryu, Valle played V-Akuma and Nuki went to play V-Sakura. Everyone switched chars. Apparently Nuki played her before the big tournament and couldn’t win, so he sold out and played V-Akuma. Then after tourney, losing to Daigo, he said fuck it and went back to V-Sak. Obviously he figured out some crazy shit with her because V-Sakura became a top tier character in Alpha 3 for a long long time.

Niko: Click on movie page link and scroll down like it says in my post.

And A-Ryu.

And X-Rolento, A-Gen and V-Akuma.

He beat Daigo but Daigo used A-Gen.

Good Thread. Tnx for the links Maj.

Majestros,
All i get is an advertisment for what looks like a vitamin supplement on movie page, and on home page the part in the middle where you can scroll down has no link ability. I could be messing up somehow though. I’ve tried for a couple hours.

Niko: Hm, i guess he changed the movie page link between the time i posted it and now. Sorry for the mixup. Try this one:
http://walhall.sakura.ne.jp/zero3.html
(look for the rmvb zip files that are 30.8 or 30.9 mb - the file sizes for those are actually listed on the page)

Buttermaker is correct: I do recall that Graham Wolfe beat Daigo’s Gen, not Guy. Daigo’s Guy was pretty crazy vs. Dhalsim, prompting the infamous “Push some buttons, Cole!” as Daigo rushed Jason Cole’s Dhalsim down in the corner with Guy.

To Cole’s credit, no one in America had seen a rush-down Guy like that before even though many people knew it could be done conceptually… no one was actually able to do it like Daigo did at the time. Daigo inspired tons of Guy players all across the country, resulting in the fairly loyal Guy following there is today.

• James

CvS2 Practical A-Rock Combos
homepage: http://cvs2ink.hp.infoseek.co.jp
movie page: http://cvs2ink.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie.html

commentary:
Nothing new or exciting, but still worth checking out if you play A-Rock. I’m sure most people here have never heard of that website so you should download the other videos too. Right now there’s A-Vice, A-Maki, and C-Chang - all practical combos you can use in matches. The Maki vid includes CC linked off c.MP for pretty decent damage.

It worked. Nice find. The hour long movie is O,g. The reporters with the cowgirl hats though, i don’t know. I missed out on alpha 3, we started playing KoF 98,99, Darkstalkers untill Capcom SNk2. Now for some reason we can’t stop playing it.

Man, Maj, reading this thread makes me feel mad old. A lot of people here don’t know or have never seen the a3 nationals video, haha! I remember that was before downloading of internet videos was so commonplace and people in the SF community would spread this footage via VHS tapes. It doesn’t have the full footage of the A3 nationals tourny tho, just the finals.

Ha sounds more like one of those old japanese Dbz titles.

*Subscribes to this great thread

(FWIW, I do have a video capture card & etc, so if there’s particular Old School (S)VHS (PAL or NTSC) footage people realllllllllllllly want/need encoded, I’m willing to do that since it kind of sucks to have this whole ‘lost era’. =\ )

Big thumbs up to this thread. :tup:

Argh, the forums won’t let me give Majestros any more props.

At any rate, this thread rocks. :tup:

cosign. good shit maj