The Chie Satonaka Thread

Come to this thread if you are thinking about maining Chie Satonaka in Persona 4: Arena which is on the xbox 360 and playstation 3. You can also post combos videos and generally chat about the character.

Here are some starter vids to help you guys out with Chie. (Note these vids are not mine so shoutouts to Mayonaka Forums and whatever japanese player who uploaded.

[LEFT][media=youtube]eKLJzWCoF3Y[/media] [media=youtube]SljTZDXQLZ8[/media] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT][media=youtube]eW8CYZalWlg[/media][/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

We need one for Naoto :frowning:
Er… everybody else too :expressionless:
How do these forums usually get their character sub forums? I’ve been going to SF4 for the past 3 years or so and everything was just already there :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s going to be put in soon.

I got some questions for Chie vets!

1. What’s her ideal jump-in? j.BB? j.C? What are some good air-to-ground mix-ups? Does Chie jump a lot as a character in general outside of oki?

2. Anti-airs outside of 2B? For that matter, what should I follow up her 2B (and AB?) with? I’ve been doing the challenge mode combo, j.B, j.B JC j.B, j.B xx 2BD, which not only does pitiful damage but I can’t use it mid-screen sometimes.

3. BnB hit-confirm is what? Stuff into 5B > 5C xx 236A?

4. What are her high-low mix-ups? The only overhead I think she has outside of AB is her 236A. I don’t get how I’m supposed to mix up opponents while they’re blocking yet - does she have frame traps?

5. Where should most of her meter go? Any particular special worth powering up? I use her fireball super to help me get in, not sure if I should be spending it on Power Charge, God Hand, or one of her specials.

6. Anyone got visual cues on when to follow up her 236A/B with another one? You can’t really mash it, and without a cue I’m at about a 70% success rate, sadly.

I might update this thread with combos later but first i need to become decent at the game before i give advice lol.

GGXX being the last ArcSys fighter I played rigorously, it makes me happy that Chie plays very very similar to Jam. Definitely sticking her as my main. Atm though, I need to work more on my mix-ups and other stuff.

Lol how the fffff do u do Chie trial 28

1. What’s her ideal jump-in? j.BB? j.C? What are some good air-to-ground mix-ups? Does Chie jump a lot as a character in general outside of oki?

She generally has bad jump ins, you either want to do delayed jump air dashes or persona calls for careful spacing.

1. Anti-airs outside of 2B?

No anti-airs outside of 2B and B+D counter.

1. What are her high-low mix-ups? The only overhead I think she has outside of AB is her 236A. I don’t get how I’m supposed to mix up opponents while they’re blocking yet - does she have frame traps?

Any delayed string is a pretty ok frame trap. Also, when you’re pressuring them with strings, a lot of her stuff is jump cancellable, which is what you want to do to start baiting the opponent. Like a typical setup would be 2.B, if it’s blocked jump back, air dash forward into turn around (A+B) and do a j.B. Don’t forget about throws and AoAs (A+B) apparently it’s one of the fastest. Watch a bunch of videos for typical stuff.

1. Where should most of her meter go? Any particular special worth powering up? I use her fireball super to help me get in, not sure if I should be spending it on Power Charge, God Hand, or one of her specials.

God hand when you want to finish people off in combos and if you think you can hit them in either delayed block strings or something vulnerable, god hand has a ton of invuln. Power charge in block strings, since it puts you at even on block I think? Or something close to it. And if you have meter you can follow up god hand/throws with a one more cancel xx 2a, 2b, etc to otg combo after.

1. Anyone got visual cues on when to follow up her 236A/B with another one? You can’t really mash it, and without a cue I’m at about a 70% success rate, sadly.

The followup to 236A right? There is a ton of frames to buffer special cancels and followups, you can do them fairly early and it’ll still come out. If you are not getting it out then you’re doing it too late. You can typically do stuff a few frames before you think it should be where you cancel and it’ll work, so do it sometime before the last kick lands.

This is the best answer that I can help with for now, since we’re all still learning ourselves.

Better late than never:

1. Jumping isn’t really a commitment in this game the same way it is in SF, you can just view it as another plane of movement. I guess the answer is that Chie doesn’t jump as much as some of the characters because her air normals aren’t great, but jumping is still a huge part of her pressure.

2. Nope. I think 2B > jBB > 8D > 2AB/5AB is the standard BnB to end in knockdown.

3. Again, you want to end pretty much every combo into knockdown and 5DD/2DD. Oki is possibly Chie’s biggest strength as a character. If you’re doing all your combos for max damage and getting bad positioning, you’re not going to have much success. Pretty much just something like 5AA > 5B > 2B > 2AB (5DD) is simple and effective. If you want to use 25%, you can autocombo into an EX Dragon Kick, and for 50% you can do all sorts of things.

4. Once you’re in, it’s all mindgames. Delay your blockstrings, backdash-cancel your 5C, jump-cancel and air dash to throw off their timings, then when they’re expecting an overhead you land and 2A, or just throw them. You can also do stuff like 236A > 236A > OMC > 2A, or 236A > 236A > 236236A > 5CD, using your meter to bait bad reactions. Do anything you want but stay unpredictable. When you’re in with Chie, they’re inside of your world.

5. Not sure yet, I probably save too much of my meter for meteors and should spend more of it on OMCs for pressure. You’ll be tempted to end a lot of combos with God’s Hand but I don’t think that’s generally worthwhile since it’s such a good super to react with. It really depends on your level and what combos you’re capable of doing. If you have a hard time getting in, then by all means go for max damage combos and use your meter aggressively.

6. You probably know this already, but you can input the 2nd half pretty much anytime after the first kick lands. You were probably just going for it way too late.

Most Interbutt sources tell me that in the corner Chie can do QCF A > QCF A > juggle into standing B > C > QCF B > QCF B

but when I do it, they tech out of B Skull Crusher EVERY time. I have to do A Skullcrusher after doing B bicycle kicks in order to keep them from teching out. What’s the deal with that? It seems like the most practical and damaging way to start corner combos (doesn’t rely on crouching, counter hits, gimmicks or meter to start) so I would like to be able to do it with the optimal damage. Is the combo outdated maybe?

Gotta question for you Chie mains! Where exactly are the holes in her block strings? If I am forced to block a standing jab and she chains into that windmill thing for a free mix up it just seems like I am forced to block forever. Is there a point I should look out for in the string where I can DP or Evasive Action (assuming the don’t bait those)?

I guess I could go into training mode and figure it out, but I thought I would hear what you guys had to say.

This is the most common combo that people have difficulty with. You need to delay the :snkb: as long as possible, then delay the :snkc: a little bit (timing isn’t quite as important here), then delay the :qcf::snkb: as long as possible. Try this for awhile and if you still don’t get it, you can use a trick: instead of :snkb: > :snkc: > :qcf::snkb:, try :snkb: > :d::snkc: > :qcb::hcf::snkb: (like a KoF super motion). Basically this is just giving you a way to delay the timing without counting it out in your head. Eventually you’ll get used to it though.

The holes in Chie’s blockstrings are where she wants them to be. Not what you want to hear, but yeah. Probably a bad idea to be spamming DP since it’s very easy for Chie to backdash cancel any of her normals and blow you up. Then again, I don’t know your character, so I can’t give you any advice.

The second half of Rampage (the windmill thing) is extremely unsafe, you can DP after the first hit and maybe 5A off an instant block? Not sure. A lot of Chies will OMC or super cancel at this point to make it safe, or they’ll OMC if they see an instant block from you. If you block the entire second half, you’ll have a year to punish. Usually they just won’t attempt the second half at all. The best thing for you to do if you want to learn any character’s blockstrings is to record them in training mode and then try what you like against them.

What’s the BnB combo do off of Chie’s counter? Preferably meterless.

:snkb: > :u::snkc: > :u::snkd: > :snka::snkb:, but it’s corner/ground only. Anywhere else you’re going to need a super cancel off the last kick.

As soon as I saw that this girl had a Velma color I made a promise to main her. Whenever I KO someone using that color I’m going to shout “JINKIES!”

We need some combo set ups in here… I keep playing trials trying to memorize but im sure there is way better combos out there.

You can find pretty comprehensive lists on sites that are more dedicated to anime fighters, but I’ll post some of the most important BnB combos here. Any move that ends with knockdown you should generally follow up with :snkd::snkd: or :d::snkd::snkd:

Midscreen:

:d::snka: > :snka::snka: > :snkb: : > :d::snkb: > :d::snka::snkb: (983, knockdown)

:d::snkb: > jump:snkb::snkb: > :u::snkd: , :snka::snkb: (anti-air, 1565, knockdown)

jump:snkb::snkb: > land:snkb: > :d::snkb: > :d::snka::snkb: (1458, knockdown)

:snka::snkb:->:snkc:(launch, FC) > jump:snkd: > land:f::f::snkb: > :snkc: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcb::snkc: > :qcf::qcf::snkd: (4422, 50SP)

Throw > OMCancel > :snkc: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkd: (3051, 50SP)

Throw > OMBurst > :f::f: , :snkc: > :qcf:::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: > :f::f::snkc::f::f:(this is an immediate dash :snkc: followed by an immediate dash cancel) , :snka: > :snkc: > :qcb::snkc: > :qcf::qcf::snkd: (4416, 50SP, Burst)

:snkb::snkd:(reversal) > OMCancel (on the final kick) > :qcb::qcb::snkc: , superjump(jump about when the 4th meteor hits them) > :qcf::snkd: (3363, 50SP)

Corner:

:d::snka: > :snka::snka: > :snkb: > :snkc: > :d::snkb: > :d::snkc: > :snkb: > :d::snka::snkb: (1632, knockdown)

:d::snka: or jump:snkb: > :snkb: > :snkc: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: , :snkb:(connect as low as possible) , :snkc:(delay slightly) , :qcf::snkb:(delay slightly) > :qcf::snkb: > :qcb::snkd: > :qcf::qcf::snkd: (4000, 50SP)

:snkc:(counterhit, usually from backdash-cancelling and baiting a masher) > :snkb: > :d::snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: , :snkb: > :snkc: , :snka::snkb: (2396, knockdown)

:snkc: > :snkb: > :d::snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: , :snkc: , :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: , :snkb: , :snkc: , :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcb::snkd: > :qcf::qcf::snkd: (4756, 50SP)

:snka::snkb:->:snkd:(wall bounce, FC) , :snkb: , :snkc: > :d::snkd: , jump:snkd: , :snka::snkb: (2737, knockdown)

:snka::snkb:->:snkd:(wall bounce, FC) , :snkb: , :snkc: > :d::snkd: , jump:snkd: , :qcf::snkb: > :qcf::snkb: > :qcb::snkd: > :qcf::qcf::snkd: (4720, 50SP)

These are just the basic combos, you can win a lot just using and adjusting these. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir, I will work on these when I get back on.

It works. You must delay the 5b and 5c slightly. Here’s a video I made as a reference:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Anyone else have trouble getting in with chie? Getting pissed with all these fans, yu sword, and Larys big ass axe all over the place lol… Still getting use to this game coming from sf4.

Oh and don’t forget about Elizabeth =\