The CamPAIN Trail: A Mike Haggar Combo Thread

Well you can do some kind of combo into :s: (or :dp:+:atk:), sj.:m::m::h::d::h:, land, :s:, sj.:m::m::h::qcf:+:s:

pretty easy.

These are my two highest damage combos that I could find with no meter or corner, and a Wesker assist.

First one is for on the ground.
s:m:, :f: + :h: xx:qcf::m:, :m:xx:qcf::m:, :s:, sj:m:, sj:m:, sj:h:, sj:d:+:h:, land, :dp::l:, sj:m:, sj:m:, sj:d:+:h:, wesker OTG assist, :dp::l:, sj:qcf::s:. 670.9K damage with no meter.

This second one is off of an air pipe.
j:d: + :h:, land, s:m:xx:qcf::m:, :s:, j:m:, j:m:, j:h:, j:d: + :h:, wesker OTG assist, :dp::l:, sj:qcf::s:. 608.7k damage with no meter.

These were tested against mid sized characters (Captain America, Ryu ect…ect…). Against small characters such as Ammy, Arthurt and Zero, adjustments to these combos must be made, however they will still net tremendous damage.

The absolute easiest one that a noob like me uses is Forward Heavy(Pipe) > Heavy Violent Axe > Rapid Fire Fist. You can sometimes launch after the RFF

So speaking of Rapid Fire Fist, the Hyper Guide mentions that you can do a level 2 and level 3 version of it. I’ve only ever managed to do level 2, is there a trick to doing level 3? Also is there any reason to do the level 1 instead of the higher levels?

I think the level 3 mash of RFF is something on the difficulty of Juggernaut’s maximum hitting headcrush. Since you can only mash 3 buttons (otherwise you’ll trip XFC), it’s tough to get the button presses in to trigger it. Based on the posts above, it seems the different tiers have different timings so you may want to not mash for a certain combo.

It’s VERY easy to get lvl 3 : take one finger and slide it on the buttons from left to right (ABC should be the first row). 5 times back and forth and you got your lvl 3 100% of the time with no pain.
Given you’re on an arcade pad of course.

The pb with the lvl 3 is the last hits whiff after a Lariat.

take out those j.:m:s and you’ll get more damage like iangoth said. There is absolutely no reason to be doing j.:m: j.:m: in an air combo since it lessens your damage and doesn’t make any meaningful difference in timing for relaunching when you land (just doing j.:h: j.Pipe can make it tough to get the :l: hoodlum off in time or land a dropkickxx:l:hoodlum though so one j.:m: may be needed so you don’t drop the combo.

don’t do anything into :s: ever unless 1) the character you are beating on will drop out of the combo if you cancel into :l:hooligan or 2) you are in the corner and cr.:m: :s: j.c. Body Press super. :l: hooligan is always more damage and seems to be good for scaling as well. Also, don’t hurt your playing by learning easy combos you’ll never actually use. Your time would be better off spent learning real combos that will be useful so you won’t revert to cheesetastic, low damage wastes of meter when you play an actual match against a person.

if you get three you’ll drop combos like Lariat(3 hits)xxPunch Super > bounce >:l: hooligan > j.:h:, j.8:h:xxGiant Swing.

No.
:qcf::l:,:l:,:s: is the best way to launch pre-bounce, followed by :qcf::m:,:m:,:s:.
The only problem is that they don’t always reach mid-screen.

:dp::l: is nearly always the best thing to launch with post-bounce when not using meter, but using it early in a big combo causes more scaling than the above, resulting in slightly less damage overall.
It also doesn’t hit assists, so never use it if you’re hitting one.

Wrong. There are two reasons you could want the two mediums. After the second launch in that first combo, using just the heavy in to pipe makes landing the OTG assist very difficult, you will drop this combo a lot if you don’t do the two mediums in to pipe at that part. Secondly, because of the hits that happen on the ground in this combo before the first launch, this combo only gets pushed to 681k by taking out the mediums in both spots. That is barely a 10k increase at the expense of the extra meter that would be built by using the two mediums. Obviously that last point is purely preference, but I myself would rather have the little extra meter over the little extra damage.

What does Haggar have that breaks armor?

Besides his lariat (theory, not at home to try this,) I can’t think of anything. Can you command grab characters out of armor or are they invulnerable to that?

this is important if its true. want me some optimized haggar combos and this is a good step. though i have to ask if you are considering :qcf::l:,:l:,:s: in place of just :l: hoodlum or in place of :qcf::l:, [:m:xx:l:hoodlum] which would not seem so intuitive.

that’s a good point to consider. I didn’t realize those mediums gained so much meter.

Hey guys I just found out something pretty neat vs anti air assists and tatsu assists. If you ever manage to hit them with the Headbutt, instead of dizzying them you are able to OTG them with any move. Say they are spamming Akuma tatsu assist, jump and do Headbutt, Cr.:m:, Violent Axe:m:, :s:, J.:m:, J.:h:, Pipe, :m:, :s:, J.:m:, J.:h:, Headbutt/Pipe, J.:s: for the KO. You could throw in the body splash super at the end if needed and DHC from there.

Also the only moves Haggar has to beat Super/Hyper Armor directly are Hooligan (any version), Wild Swing, and Piledrivers. Basically only grabs can beat them. If you hit them and notice they armored through your attack, you could cancel to Lariat to beat them indirectly.

I tend to use the following ways to deal with armor:

1. Lariat in their face. Generally only when I’ve got 2 bars spare so that on block I can cancel into :qcf::atk::atk: and then DHC into something safe (I usually have Arthur in my second slot, so Gold Armor).

2. Tag out Haggar and Lariat assist in their face instead. Usually immediately after the above, which leaves me in their face with a Gold Armored Arthur :lol:

3. Bait them into throwing it from out of range, and try to catch the recovery with long ranged stuff
    ( :f::h: or :qcf::l: or :dp::l:)

4. Block and punish. Only particularly worth trying against Hulk, and you have to be careful about it.

I mean using :qcf::l:,:l:,:s: instead of :qcf::l:,:m:,:dp::l:; after :f::h: for example.
You just have to be careful of the range. It’s easy for :s: to whiff if you misjudge it.

The damage difference isn’t all that major. I’ve found the main advantages are that it works on assists, and it lets you jumpcancel forwards without crossing under and screwing the combo up.

The most damaging Haggar-only combo I’m currently aware of is:
(corner only, works after a jump attack or a stun headbutt)
:m:, :f::h:, :qcf::m:(2nd hit), :m:, :qcf::l:, :l:, :s:, :uf:, J:h:, J:d::h:, (land),
…then following up with either:
:d::h:, :dp::l:, :u:, J:h:, J:u::h:, J:qcf::s: (must connect at the peak to get the full 12 hits)
or:
:d::h:, :s:, :dp::uf::atk::atk:

The timing in the relaunch is really strict without using J:m: though, so I usually chuck in at least one of them.

How are those the best way to launch? Both of those launches only do 239.6k and 247.9k respectively. When you could be doing s:m:, s:f:+:h:xx:qcf::m:, :m:xx:qcf::m:, :s:, for a 416.7k launch.

Or even just s:f:+:h:, :qcf::m:, s:m:xx:qcf::m:, :s: for 382.k damage.

It is possible to do a ground combo --> Hoodlum launcher --> Hagger press including air damage if you’re against a wall. The opponent can’t tech away or block in time if you get the timing down, but it is extremely specific timing. I’m pretty sure it has to start the instant your opponent begins their recovery.

Just hoodlum launcher to Hagger press does half of Deadpools total life without x-factor.

I’m talking specifically about the launch. Not full combos.

For example, in your combo the launch part is :qcf::m:,:s:.
Replace that with either :qcf::l:,:l:,:s: or :qcf:,:m:,:m:,:s: and it does more damage (though the latter largely depends on what you follow up with, whether it does more total damage or not varies)
But like I said, they don’t always reach when mid-screen. It largely depends on the opponent’s character.

That brings me to a question I’ve been meaning to ask.

How do you guys use Giant Haggar Press? It seems almost impossible to score several hits on someone that isn’t Galactus. I feel like it’s being wasted since I can only ever connect on the ground (and by then, they’ve begun to block). I’ve tried hoodlum launcher into it, but that doesn’t work (apparently it’s even hard in the corner according to the post above me). So how do you get the most damage out of GHP?

You gotta either do it in the corner after a launcher or Dormamu’s purification assist to get a lot of hits. Either way it is probably better to do an aerial combo into wild swing to stockpile meter or aerial combo to OTG Giant Haggar Press for slightly more damage.

The only time you should ever really use it is to OTG (his only way to OTG without assists) or to DHC out. It’s okay at chipping someone to death when a character comes out from a snapback/death (it may even cross up if you are lucky). I personally wish it had startup invincibility so you could jump out of random beam supers, but it doesn’t.

Anyways I tested out some more headbutt stuff and found out that counterhit headbutts on aerial opponents allow you to OTG with any move when they hit the ground on point characters and assists. Basically if you counterhit headbutt anyone in the air, they will be in hitstun until about half a second after they hit the ground (even from superjump height) and while they are flopping you can still hit them. It also doesn’t use up your ground bounce so you can go for the more damaging relaunch combos.

Okay, thanks for the help, Big O!

Also, I just got down the first Haggar BnB (st. S, air M, air M, air H, air Steel Pipe, st. S, air M, air M, air H, Wild Swing) and would like another beginner-intermediate combo to practice. If anyone could help me out, that’d be great!

Also, can I improvise a combo on the beginning of that BnB (testing it out now)? Or maybe there is a better start up combo for it that I don’t know about?

Hmm… it seems by tacking on cr. L, cr. M to the beginning of that first BnB takes the damage down from 528,900 to 517,700. Could this be due to damage scaling?

I think you can do j.M j.H u.H Wild Swing to get more damage out of it. I also find it easier to connect with this way.

The two moves I land the most often with Haggar are definitely the air pipe and Lariats. You might want to start practicing Lariat combos. I personally use Lariat xx Rapid Fire Fist lvl 2 with a followup, but I doubt it’s optimal.

I also like to air tag after some of Haggar’s combos. Something like air Pipe, launcher, j.H headbutt, u.S usually gets a 800kish damage combo using only 1 meter. I’m not quite sure yet why people don’t like to air tag in a spot like that. I haven’t seen anyone blocking it more than 1/3 the time. I’m not even sure if it’s possible, and if it is, teach me.