The Beginner's Tekken Dictionary/Basics Thread

:tup: to this thread. Great resource!

NeoRussel… made a video that teaches the convention/notation

Tekken 6 Conventions Commands
[media=youtube]b2dAqP2Z-m0[/media]

Thanks I am going to be needing this.

I look at the lili combos and I just feel… lost. :rofl:

Secound this, managed to get down my top 10 moves, my throw breaks and my juggle/wall/parry combos down with Feng, but I’m still having trouble with movement. I know the Mishima’s have always uses WD more, but is it important for other characters? And how to do it right would be good :lovin:

Having trouble back dash cancelling correctly. Are there any techniques to making this easier? Right now I’m hitting d/b, then returning to neutral fast, then to b, d/b, b

whats the deal with the glowy hands? Like with Bob, if you press all 4 buttons at once he does some swishy shit, then his fists are glowing yellow… whats up with that?

That’s a ki charge. It makes your first attack have counter properties. I don’t know Bob’s moves so I can’t give you a good example with him, so I’ll use Julia’s 4~2,1. The 1 follow up is only safe to do when you hit with the low attack and miss with the high(which requires exact distance), or you CH the first attack. Using ki charge you can just do 4~2 afterwards, and if it hits it will always be a counter allowing you to follow with 1 for free.

It takes a second to charge up though and it only last for about 4 seconds, and you can’t block while it lasts. The best way to set it up is usually to get a knockdown or wallsplat first before the charge, and force a mid/low mixup when they tech roll. Some people have different ways to get into the charge other than 1+2+3+4 though, as some attacks can cancel into them.

This post was written by Help Me, translated by j00n.

This will probably help you quite a bit.

major props man! that makes a lot more sense and i can get a few reps of it in now! thanks

Why isn’t WGF and **EWGF **up on that list yet? I’ve been wondering what the hell they stood for and what they were for like the past two weeks.

This is the definition off Urban Dictionary:

there’s also this vid [media=youtube]L3DT6-oOZro[/media]
it has five parts basic teaching new players on how to do the basic. found on tekkenzaibatsu.

http://iamtekken.com/2009/11/07/level-up-your-game-episode-1-launched/
http://twitter.com/iamtekken

[media=youtube]L3DT6-oOZro[/media] - (part 1 of 5)
[media=youtube]ZM7Z53XPjV4[/media] - (part 2 of 5)
[media=youtube]20MVmELr3Jk[/media] - (part 3 of 5)
[media=youtube]glJw_tgX2uY[/media] - (part 4 of 5)
[media=youtube]sRwHQ3yERD4[/media] - (part 5 of 5)

These videos should be put in the first post. Top tier stuff for beginners or people who need a refresher.

Those were good shit, I even learned something about launcher reset’s, the gears in my mind is turning about conditioning people to tech roll for fear of a launcher and then eating a tech trap.

O.K., so I know that might not be the newest discovery, but I just started playing DR this year. soit’s new to me.

Thanks for those links

the videos are ok… take the info with a grain of salt though… a lot of it is wrong… at least u are trying… sorry =\

didn’t really watch them all, but what is wrong? from what I saw it seemed correct.

EDIT: oh and did your homeboy antonio c tell you it’s wrong? cuz I saw his comments, lol (assuming he’s the same antionio c. that plays tekken)

EDIT 2: nevermind saw you comments too

ya like… we watched all of em. we were gonna fix mistakes but there’s way too many to even go through so we just stopped like 1 minute into part 2. could be better if more time was spent checking facts. it seemed like everything was done in one take too. antonio would be more than happy to help consult for the next one… for the right price. just stop spreading info that is not true and incorrect… and stop guessing. My favorite part is when they are trying to reversal the tackle and like rip couldn’t do it so they’re just like ummm. ON TO THE NEXT SUBJECT. and the other one was like when they said something you can get 3 maybe 4 hits on the wall, and antonio was like… have you seen a combo video. Bruce gets like 7… steve gets like… 10. The production was really good but i think they need some consulting from an old school player that really understands the ins and outs of the game and not just think that they do. You might know how to beat people but when it comes time to explain stuff, and you have like 2000 people who have watched your video that’s seriously bad news, because they are going to think that they know and then they tell other people the wrong information.

Overall I think the information was good, didn’t see so much wrong with it.

and just how oldschool is this antonio c? honestly never heard of the dude, not to down play his skill in anyway but has ever won a major? and who is to say the dudes making the vid aren’t oldschool?

Can you do a proper writeup on what’s wrong in those videos?

This might be a little off topic but does anyone know if there’s an option to adjust the screen scale? I play on a sony 60’ and the scale seems kind of off and i don’t see a place to adjust it anywhere.

Hi guys! Glad to see everyone likes the vids! There will be more!

FYI, if anythings wrong we will fix it. Its not impossible to change, and its not the end of the world either. We’ll be annotating the corrections for the arm bar and even give the exact frames on the tackle escapes asap! ALL FOR FREE, no consulting fees necessary!

you could have checked the comments but they were neg bombarded, some of the comments were just flat out deleted too i think. it is one thing to debate theories but being flat out wrong about FACTS is something entirely different. I’m done messing with it.

I’ve been refering people to the video still because most of the info is correct and it’s good for beginners but it would be like if you were in kindergarten and your teacher told you

1+1=2
2+2=4
4+4=7
7+7=14
14+14=… I can’t figure this out…well whatever!