The Beginner's Tekken Dictionary/Basics Thread

This should help me a bit more

Thanks for all the info. I never played Tekken seriously so this is going to be a great starting point for me. The biggest problem right now when I play DR is my movement. My backdash/sidestep canceling is not smooth at all.

You can also use u,u for CCs. I’m sure for the example you gave, f,f is way better, though.

Could I recommend my site?

It could help the new players :slight_smile:

bit busy with school and stuff, but planning on working on it more in the very near future

www.iamtekken.com

Sure man, I added it to the first post for you. Also added a link to SDTekken as well. If you guys know any other links that should be on the first post let me know.

…now I know why OPs reserve multiple posts at the beginning of the thread, I’ll probably run out of room. :sad:

I have Couple of noob questions & im not sure where to put this.

#1 do they have tekken 6BR in the arcades yet or they just have tekken 6 and the upgraded version will be in arcades in december?

#2- how much different is tekken 6 to tekken DR in compared to moves and combos( can i do the same combos as in tekken 5 in tekken 6 or have the moves been changed so much that you cant repeat most of the same combos) ( i use King, Nina and Youshi, Kaz )

#3 im a noob and i want to get back in tekken 5 DR before i head to the arcade to try out tekken 6 so i can attempted to get my skills up and be ready for the Tekken Game stop tournaments. , are their any tutorials for tekken 5DR on how to not play like a scrub ETC…

1. BR has been out since last December in Japan. Iirc here in Southern California we got it in January.

2. Fundamentals are the same like throw breaking, punishing, whiff punishing, spacing, etc. Though combos are a bit different since there have been a few changes to the juggle system, such as the new B! system and wall slump change.

3. How to not play like a scrub? Studying up on the game as much as you can, asking questions vs. the people you use to, etc. The more you play the better you’ll be. Play play play.

www.iamtekken.com
check it out, not too much stuff on there, but I’m working on it :slight_smile:

Word!

IAMTEKKEN is a great starting source.

As usual SDTEKKEN will have Frame Data info and setup guides real soon. By game launch for sure!

We’ll be working with inatekken wiki to get the US wiki site up and running.

sup fellas? I take you guys wil be here a lot? I’m glad Wiz recognized Tekken as an important game and gave it its own forum. I hope to help out people here too. I have yet to touch Tekken 6 yet. =/

I’ve never touched a Tekken game in my life but I do plan on picking up 6 when it drops. As a noob, what bad habits should I look out for so I know to avoid them from the get go. I picked up a ton of bad ones playing SF :shake:

…Don’t always tech roll or do get up attacks, doing it at unsafe times are prone to punishment. Sometimes you just gotta take the hit.

Really glad this got stickied. I tried to dabble in Tekken back when Vanilla 5 came out but I was too busy with 3S and MvC2 at the time so I couldn’t give my full attention to it. But I plan to with 6BR so I am really hype for this.

Here’s a beginner question… I was watching that korean Tekken Crash thing, and several times they would end up in the new Rage mode. Is there a reason they don’t end combos early to deny Rage when they know the combo/juggle won’t finish them off? Is it to hard to tell health/react, or is Rage mode not good enough to warrant something like that?

Honestly, it’s not good enough to be a major concern now(in T6 it was). I think you get maybe a 30% bonus increase in your attacks, but you have to be at such little life for it to activate it that it’s not really a big concern. The better person will still win, regardless of it.

So sorry for asking this, but who would be a good character to start learning the game properly with? When I played BB, I started with Tager and learned the game via him, so would a ‘low’ tier/disadvantaged character be a good one to pick to learn the game?

Just learn whoever, most of the characters barring a few are fairly unique but all have the same basic offensive and defensive systems.

The wavedashing mechanic is only reserved for the mishimas and baek, but other than that any character is fine to learn the game with. You’ll probably see this a lot but Tekken 6 BR is really balanced. :slight_smile:

sooo…

#1 wave dashing is only for kaz, Hehachi , & Jin?

2 how do you wave dash?

#3 i see pro players move back , forth, sidestepping fast, how do they do it?

Oh cool, in that case, I’ll prob. hit up Dragonuv (cuz he’s a badass mofo), Zafina (her playstyle interests me…no seriously it’s her playstyle) and Armor King (whom I have YET to win a match with =_=).
Alisa’s UF+2P throw is win (Feng’s expression is :rofl: )

Updated the faq with the TZ basics guide, read that instead of/in addition to Xiang’s guide since it’s much more recent.

ok so im completely new to Tekken and i have A LOT of questions, b4 i flood this thread with all of them ill start but just asking for a veteran Tekken player to PM me and let me ask my questions personally so i dont waste space here. So if ne1 is down for helping out a nub please PM me.

FYI i havent been playin long enought to have a main but im leaning towards the Kaz an Jin (mostly Kaz) so if any good Kaz players could respond that would be great, but not really needed cuz most of my questions are just about Tekken in general

also… let me kno if im posting this in the worng thread