The Beginner's Guide to Mega Man Trigger

Huh. You know, I thought I’d leave this to somebody else who might know better about the Megster than I would, but seeing as how there’s no thread up yet…I might as well take a stab at this and see what I can come up with.

So, just like the Roll thread before this, I’m going to try to assemble a basic guide to play with Mega Man Trigger. Now, mind you, I’m no A-class expert (I still have to get the hand of this Baroque thingy), but I’ll try my best. Feel free to correct me where I’m off, and I’ll try to adjust the guide to suit.

Here we go:

SPECIAL MOVES

Arm Buster - :snkc:
Power Charge- Hold :snkc:
Charged Buster Shot- After Power Charge, release :snkc:

Equip Special Weapons:

Machine Gun Arm: :d::d: :snka:
Shield Arm: :d::d::snkb:
Drill Arm: :d::d::snkc:

(To equip a weapon and perform a small evading sidestep at the same time, try using :qcf: instead of :d::d: when you motion for a weapon. Repeat said move to de-activate.)

Special Weapon Attacks:

Machine Gun Barrage: Activate MGA, Hold :r:, :uf: or :df:, and press :snkb:
Shield Barrier: Activate SA, Hold :r:, :uf: or :df:, and press :snkb:
Drill Upper!: Activate DA, Hold :df: and press :snkb:
Drill Rush!: Activate DA, Hold :r: and press :snkb:

SUPER COMBOS

Hyper Machine Gun Barrage: :qcb: and two attack buttons
Hyper Drill Upper: :dp: and two attack buttons
Buster Arm-ageddon: :qcf: and two attack buttons (Lvl 3, must be close)

BASIC STRATEGY

Buster Shot - Mega Man Trigger’s bread and butter. Like the original MM before him, he fires a shot from his Buster Arm by simply tapping :snkc:. To an extent, you can even adopt MM’s old strategy of hanging back and firing one shot midair, and one shot while grounded, but with your opponents being able to double jump and air dash (not to mention the fact that Trigger himself is a tad slower and his shots are not as wide as MM’s), this isn’t that much of an effective strategy. Some notes:

• You can charge the attack by holding down :snkc:. You will begin to notice a small orb glowing at the end of Trigger’s cannon. The longer you charge, the more powerful the attack becomes. At most, it can do up to 8 hits maximum, and, at maximum power, will fling an opponent straight across the room (almost like an old style Shinkuu Hadouken, of sorts.) However, BE WARNED. You get hit, you LOSE THE CHARGE.

• Try pinning down an opponent with a standard Buster Shot, and immediately cancelling into a Hyper Machine Gun Barrage. It’ll do some worthwhile chip, and, if you nail a blocking opponent, it’ll be a safe way to put some distance.

• You can aim the Buster several different ways. Doing it while crouching will have him fire it at an Anti-Air angle (and sadly, not straight ahead, which you will discover to your horror.) Fire it and aim diagonally downwards while jumping, and Mega Man will aim it in that direction. Aim diagonally upwards while standing, and Trigger will fire in that direction. Use this to your advantage, but don’t abuse it.

Machine Gun Arm - This move fires three consecutive shots rapidly. You can aim it similarly to Trigger’s standard buster (see above). To an extent, you can even jump and spam it, Akuma style. Not much more to say here than that.

Drill Arm/Drill Upper- Allows Trigger to either launch himself forward while drilling the hell out of the opponent, or hit them with a semi-reliable Anti-Air Drill Upper. Extremely comboable, and does fair damage, so I suggest you use this often if you want to pile on the hits.

Shield Arm- Creates a giant green shield in from of Trigger. If an opponent walks/jumps into it, they’ll be pushed away (and, if they hit a wall, they will bounce.) I haven’t tested it to see if it can repel fireballs, however.

Hyper Machine Gun Barrage- The Machine Gun Arm…shifted all the way into turbo. It fires a volley of shots in succession, and, blocked or not, will push away opponents all the way to the other side of the screen. While firing, Trigger can aim the stream of bullets upwards and downwards (but he’s somewhat slow in doing so. Don’t expect miracles from it.) This can also be done in mid-air, so a sound strategy is to jump, use :snkc:, and then immediately cancel into this Super Combo. Another thing to note is that if you DHC into another Super Combo, the remaining bullets that were already fired will not vanish, but continue hitting the opponent long after Trigger tags out. This is awesome for safe tagging.

Hyper Drill Upper! - Mega Man’s defensive bread and butter. He quickly whips out his Drill Arm, and basically does a SHINRYUKEN!!! with it. It has very quick startup, decent damage, some good priority, and can be used very effectively to catch an incoming opponent. Don’t go apeshit with this move, though, because there is such a thing as a smart opponent, and this is VERY punishable if you whiff.

Buster Arm-ageddon- Trigger’s LVL 3 Super combo. He’ll punch the opponent in the gut, send them skywards, and totally let them have it with an upwards blast of doom from his Arm Buster. To be honest, it does…okay damage, but not for a Lvl 3 (see:Ryu). I’d suggest sticking with the previous two super combos.

NOTES:

• Mega Man’s launcher has some good Anti-Air qualities about it. It’s not quite the MvC version’s Mule Kick, but it’ll do.

• Most of Trigger’s Super Combos can combo off of a simple :snka:,:snka:. Sort of like the original Mega Man’s Beat Plane. Once an opening presents itself, jab, jab and Super Combo. It’s handy when you want to gain a small lead.

• Hyper Machine Gun Arm is very handy for chip damage and playing keep away. Stick to doing it in mid-air, though, because he is very vulnerable while standing up (and your opponent jumps quickly enough over it.)

• Hyper Drill Upper can be absurdly fast. As soon as your opponent whiffs (closely enough) or attempts to jump in, use it and nail them.

• Charged Buster Shot => a blocked Ryu’s Fireball/Shinkuu Hadouken. He has to be fairly close, though.

• Try to spam Machine Gun arm during a mid air jump. You can try keeping your opponent grounded by using the :uf:, also. Just don’t be predictable.

BASIC COMBOS:

1. Charge :snkc:, :snka:,:snka:,:snkb:, release :snkc:.
  2. :snka:,:snka:, :d::snkb:, launcher (setup)
  3. Combo #2, :snka::snka::snkb::snkc:
  4. With Drill Arm, Combo #2, :snka::snka::snkb::snkb:, :df:+:snkb:
  5. :snka:,:snka:, Hyper Drill Upper!

That’s all from me for now.
Feel free to contribute, folks, because I’m dead certain I’ve missed a few things. See ya.

I’ve been messing around with MM a bit trying to learn some weapon switch combos. Here is my Shield Arm BnB

(shield arm)
:snka:,:snka:,:snkb:,:d:+:snkb:,:df:+:snkc: /\ :snka:,:snkb:,:snkb:, double jump, :snkb:,:snkb:,:r:+:snkb:,:qcf:+:snkb:,:qcf:+:snkc:,:df:+:snkb: xx :qcb:+:snka::snkb:

note: you may have to do a different direction on your mid-combo weapon changes if you are close to a corner.

Hey, awesome. I’ll go give that a try later tonight. I’ve been looking for an effective combo for HMGA.

It’s Shining Laser, not Buster Armageddon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone find his “unequipped” arm useful? I thought his dash punch could be useful for chaining combos where the foe has already moved away in a fair distance.

Just trying to put my own spin on it. I’ll go change it later. :stuck_out_tongue:
As for the elbow…it has some decent range on it, but the move is just…weird.

His unequipped f+B is great because it gives you a free switch dash and allows you to continue the combo.

Ex: :snka:, :snkb:, :r:+ :snkb:, :qcf:+ :snkb:, :snka:, :snkb:, :d:+ :snkb:, :snkc:, launch

You can also do it in the air, but I don’t know what you get for free yet(probably :qcf: + :snkb:, :r:+ :snkb: ) It also has enough lag time that it might allow for safe switching, or whatever else.

I also think that due to his dash cancels, he can be a monster at close range rushdown if you mix in chip damage(I need to check the damage with his Drill Arm and Machine Gun) and with throws to keep them honest, but he’s gonna need a good assist to slow down pushblocks.

He could probably be pretty good at running away too due to his backwards switch dash giving him extra mobility in the air, but I need to test that out more.

Also while using his Hyper Machine Gun super you can charge your Mega Buster at the same time. I guess you can do that with the other supers as well. Anyway I’ll test more tonight.

I’m liking trigger a lot in this game, but have a couple of questions… Since his buster shot is his fierce and the lack of specific punch and kick buttons, what is a good over head move? His jumping :snkb: doesn’t really hold them in stun long enough to combo unless you throw the kick late which pretty much telegraphs what your doing giving the opponent time to stand. I’m wondering how he’s going to open people up, with all this with the medium attachment allowing for longer combos I’m trying to figure out if he’s gonna have a wide range of mix up potential or if he’s gonna be a another keep away/zoning character like OG MegaMan in Marvel, Trigger is alot more mobile then his ancestor as well as the rest of the cast of TvC, so he could be a monster at runaway… And a question about the shield arm attachment, when its attached it changes Triggers animation from blocking with his arms to blocking with the attachment, is this simply aesthetic or does it change his blocking properties ie: less chip? greater pushback?

His overhead hit 6B can be done in the air.

That’s a overhead attack??:amazed:

Hmm more power to his ground game, but his jumpins are still lacking(what MMSTE said) besides df+C and B. Not alot of strong air to ground options…

Sorry. I meant the movement looks like an overhead (it’s Mega Man’s non-equipped 6B overhead/elbow (looks like it, but I just tried it, you can still block it) attack. I just wanted to let people know that the move can also be done in the air. And it’s cool that you can use 6B (or forward+C) into 236(QCF)+A/B/C to continue the combo. Of course, if you’re fast enough, you don’t need to do that, and just dash into your enemy and launch them. The air version of forward+B might be used to guarantee the link to Mega Man’s QCB+AB super.

i generally play keepaway with the machine gun arm; if the opponent evades one of the bursts and gets closer to me, i cancel the burst and move away with qcb+A, then qcb+A again to get the machine gun arm back again

the shield arm nullifies all chip damage while blocking, but uses a little bit of super meter for every hit blocked (including ones that don’t chip)

the shield arm also wall bounces, and combos easily during a juggle, allowing another relaunch

like somebody said already, the… fist arm extends ground combos. if you manage to hit with it, cancel into qcf+B to get the shield arm before you launch them

Ok, here are some things I found last night messing around:

1: He does like NO chip damage! Unless the training mode is messes up chip damage(the characters icon in the upper corners should flash red when they take chip damage, right?) the only thing that does chip is the charged Mega Buster. Even the Hyper Machine Gun didn’t chip! Haven’t tested the Hyper Drill but you wouldn’t use that for chipping anyway.

2: I haven’t tried this against a human yet(I will tonight), but :df: + :snkc:, forward switch dash, :snkb: seems to be a pretty solid air chain for jumpins. Plus, his jumping B crosses up(although you have to hit it kinda deep to combo with it), so you don’t have to worry about your position as much.

3: His standing :snkb: seems to do more stun than :d:+:snkb:. you can combo Machine Gun from standing B but not the crouching B.

4: Not that you would use this, but Baroque allows you to use C immediately and negates lag time.(ex C, Baroque, C is possible, otherwise you’ll have to wait for the Buster Shot to recover before firing another one).

It makes it so he doesn’t receive chip damage, but his super meter gets eaten instead.

I REALLY don’t understand his Shining Laser super. It does LESS damage than drill arm uppercut super but takes 3x more meter and has less range… There’s got to be some sort of trick to it…

can you juggle after it?

has anyone tried charging your buster then Shining Laser while the buster is still charged?

machine gun arm
twd+b is insanely good
just keep doing it over and over while charging C
if they try to IAD d/f+b and any gaps in the pressure can be neutralized by s.C/c.C/214+PP

unless you have a full screen attack its hard to get innnnnnn

Megaman is like turtle Cable. He’s hard to catch and can get full screen in like 1 second flat. The uppercut sup and gun super are incredibly fast.

I was playing a friend who kept charging full (i think) busters while chipping me with the super, throw the buster, repeat. Seemed like a nice early lockdown strat.

That was my first hunch upon seeing the abysmal damage. Didn’t do anything different that I could tell. :[

Damn, I was hoping I would have started this thread but I wanted to wait till I got my hands on the game to do so. =\

I’ll have my copy by the end of the week so I will try to contribute as much as I can to the thread.

coding error for the wii version?

someone should check how much damage it does in the arcade…

I posted a thread for it but just checking that no one has posted it, to avoid further embarrassment.

[media=youtube]9-Tqm7yThFg[/media]