Terra Nova - Fox/Spielberg New Sci Fi Epic

New show started on the 26th

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/2010terranova2.jpg

Plot
The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction due to dwindling worldwide air quality and overpopulation. At Hope Plaza, a massive ring shaped structure in Chicago, scientists discover a rift in space-time that allows people to travel 85 million years back in time to the Late Cretaceous period on the prehistoric Earth of an alternate reality, offering a chance to save humanity. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway.

Production
The series is based on an idea by British writer Kelly Marcel.[5] Alex Graves signed on to direct the pilot.[6] Brannon Braga serves as showrunner.[7] Australia was chosen after producer Steven Spielberg vetoed Hawaii because he wanted a different filming location from his 1993 film Jurassic Park.[8] The two-hour pilot was filmed over 26 days in late November to December 2010.[5] It was shot in south-east Queensland, Australia, with locations in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Gold Coast Hinterland.[9][10] The shoot was plagued by torrential rain and additional material had to be shot in 2011, with a total estimated cost between $10 to $20 million to be amortized over the season.[8][11] More than 250 sets were constructed.[12] An episode takes eight to nine days to shoot, like most television dramas, but six weeks in post-production, twice the television average.[5] The average episode budget is about $4 million.[11] Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly stated, “This thing is going to be huge. It’s going to take an enormous production commitment.”[13]

In an unusual decision, Fox skipped ordering just a pilot, and instead immediately ordered thirteen episodes. This was partly due to financial reasons, as the large Australian sets are expensive to dismantle and rebuild. Despite this decision, the producers denied the production was over-budget, with Peter Rice explaining instead the show is “a very expensive… very ambitious television show”. Kevin Reilly continued, “We’re not in completely uncharted territory here. The start-up cost for the series is definitely on the high end. But it’s not some bank-breaking series”.[14] With only 10% of Cretaceous-era dinosaurs recorded in the fossil record, the producers decided to supplement the series with ones which might have existed; paleontologist Jack Horner was brought in to help create realistic creatures for the period and different from those of the Jurassic Park film franchise.[8]

In June 2010, the first cast member was announced – Jason O’Mara as Jim Shannon.[15] In late August, Allison Miller joined the cast.[16] In September, Deadline Hollywood reported that Stephen Lang signed on to play the role of Commander Taylor.[17] An executive producer, David Fury, left the series as a result of creative differences.[18] In September, Shelley Conn landed the female lead role.[19] In October, Mido Hamada was cast as a security head,[20] while Landon Liboiron, Naomi Scott, and Alana Mansour were cast as the three children.[21] In November, Christine Adams was cast as Mira.[22] In May 2011, Rod Hallett was added as a series regular.[23]

The cast and crew returned to Queensland, Australia on May 20, 2011 to continue production on the first season. Filming commenced on May 25, 2011.[24] With a long production process on the series,[12] it was announced that the first season would consist of thirteen episodes to finish airing in December 2011.[25]

Missed the premiere hopefully watch it tonight. There’s been mixed reviews, mainly great concept terrible script. I’m planning to watch the first 5 episodes hopefully it will pick up.

it was good actually.
i enjoyed it.
though…i can’t understand why if they know there are dinos running around…no one bothered to bring elephant guns, or explosive rounds, or some high powered weaponry that can take down said dino, with one shot
oops. applying too much logic to fiction again.

Whenever I see an ad for this, I think of Terry Nova…yeah…

Lol hadn’t thought of that. I was thinking, weren’t the dinosaurs wiped out by a meteor and the sudden change in climate, how do they plan for their civilisation to survey that?

I have the premiere on my DVR, maybe watch it this weekend.

And yea, I’ve had a lot of the same questions.

I thought this shit was Pandora.

I popped in and out of this show on the premier. Just seemed a bit too cheesy.

It’ll be SeaQuest 2…budget will outweigh the viewers, Spielberg will bail as executive producer by the end of season 2(if it makes it that far), you’ll find the DVD complete series box set in a year or two next to Dollhouse and Earth 2.

Apparently 9.2 million people watched the premiere, see how many stay till mid season

OT: Dollhouse was amazing. Shut the front door.

Well it was kind of cheesy but the concept drew me in. At least they have a few million years to eff up the timestream and develop tech to counteract the meteor.

Sucks that I missed the beginning though…

Humans have only been around 200,000 years, barely a blip on the geologic record. Just a thought.

Nice Ctrl+C/V! but i may watch but as White shadow said slightly cheesy concept and Very predicatble from what i see.

My download was corrupted, can anyone explain why the father was in jail?

Spoiler

he assaulted the police officers when they got busted for breaking the child policy

So far im on the fence about it. The whole premise is kinda whack, but the hints about the commanders son and the clues theyve shown/he left have me intrigued.

From what i’ve seen since this is an alternate reality, things could go different this time around. Though, and i’m really throwing this out here, this comes across like one those situation where i think if the show were to get canceled early they could easily set it up where they didn’t really go back in time and actually went to another world or something along those lines.

I wonder if they’ll actually address the high probability of being infected by microbes that have gone extinct before humans existed. There are an untold number of microbes that normally infect any of the extinct animals but could mutate to be able to infect humans. One bite from a mosquito with a 3 foot wingspan and you’re done.

Since it’s an alternate reality, they could just hunt the dinosaurs and other threatening creatures into extinction and bring over present Earth’s agricultural animals. Jurassic Park was only suspenseful because there wasn’t a minigun mounted on the back of that jeep.

pilot was lame imo. Wesker was disappointing as hell; Wesker’s son is a shithead; the twink from Spartacus was like the only non-white person that wasn’t “evil;” i don’t want to sleep with any of the women currently shown (this is actually important); no dinosaurs were harmed in this production-
and

Spoiler

none of the kids attacked died when they should have

; dino design for faux raptor was Rob Liefeld tier (“hmmmmm this raptor has like a million sharp teeth, claws on every appendage, and looks scary as hell. i think we’re done with-”

RL:** “NOT XTREME ENOUGH PUT BATTLE AXE ON TAIL”**

sigh ok, Mr. Liefeld :sad:”)

will stick around for Quartich for at least a few more episodes to see if anything cool happens.

even though i’m hatin’ right now. i’m still optimistic. TV needs more Sci-Fi.

the suspense comes from how inept these people are shooting at things that are the size of a house. miss 99% of your shots and the ones that do hit can’t even stop the dinosaur.

Just finished watching the first ep. It was alright. A bit cliche (dorky daughter, douchebag son, etc.), but I still managed to be entertained to the end.

I actually agree with the fool above me

[details=Spoiler]There has to be severe consequences for dumb shit like leaving the gate and venturing out to where the dinosaurs are waiting to eat your ass. How did they all survive? That’s bullshit if you ask me. Especially that one girl who somehow ran away and didn’t get torn to shreds. She was a nobody in the plot. Expendable. They should have shown her bloody carcass just layin’ on the soil, but nope, she manages to make it through with some fuckin’ paper cuts.

It’s just the first ep, but I hope this isn’t an indication of what’s to come. The show needs to get edgier. They are surrounded by dinosaurs for crying out loud.[/details]

Thread title should mention that the show has dinosaurs, lol.
Only watched Ep. 1 but I thought it was cool.