Techniques to perform EWGF more easily

We now come to conclude that EWGF exists in this game and that it’s difficult to execute since it requires you to be frame perfect (or just-frame) to perform the EWGF. Luckily while I was playing around with performing the EWGF, I realized that incorporating the SF4 plinking technique actually helps this become quite easier.

The idea of plinking of course is that you are adding an extra frame to execute whatever you want to perform; this makes 1-frame links become 2-framers, 2-frame links become 3-framers, etc… With Kazuya’s EWGF, you can actually make his EWGF become a 2-frame execution move rather than a just-frame one.

Normal way of executing EWGF:

:f:, N, :d:, :df:+:mp:/:hp:

Basically if you were to perform this perfectly in training mode without any execution aids, the inputs on your screen should look like this if using :mp::

:df:+:mp:
:d:
N (this line will be missing, but you get the idea)
:f:

Most of the people are having trouble performing this because most people will either end up in one of the two different scenarios.

================================================
Scenario 1 (The inputs are too late):
:df:
N

Scenario 2 (The inputs are too early):
:d:+:mp:
N

Luckily by keeping SF4’s plinking technique in this game, there is a way for you to perform the EWGF as a 2-frame move rather than a just-frame move. The idea is that we are going to plink one of the two punch buttons,** and hit the direction in between plinking the button** to increase the window of leniency to perform the EWGF. For me, I will be plinking the :mp: button with the :lk: button, since :mp: takes priority over :lk: (I’ll explain why I chose to use :mp: and :lk: later). There is one key difference to note when using this technique to perform the EWGF: you are merging the plinking with the directional input.

In essence, this is the ideal input to turn EWGF into a 2-frame move:
:f:, N, :d:~:mp:~:df:~:lk:

Consider the new situation when incorporating the plinking technique to perform the EWGF; if we decide to use plinking to perform the EWGF, we actually get two chances to perform the EWGF.

These examples are done by performing :mp:~:lk: for the plink.

Scenario 1 (Success):
:df:+:lk:+:mp:
:d:+:mp:
N

Scenario 2 (Success):
:df:+:mp:+:lk:
N

Scenario 3 (Failed - One frame late):
:df:+:lk:+:mp:
N

Scenario 1: The case where you hit the button one frame early. You may think at first that scenario 1 will not work because the :mp: will come out first, but the thing is that specials take priority over normals, and you can try this for yourself in training mode - scenario 1 works.

Scenario 2: This is a given - you hit the button at the just-frame. That extra input of course does not negatively impact you in any way.

Scenario 3: You hit the button one frame too late. You would perform a spinning demon, but this this better than doing an EX move by accident.

Thus, you can see that using this technique will give you two chances to perform the EWGF rather than the just-frame technique of hitting only :mp: or :hp: to do EWGF.

I’ve chosen to plink the :mp: with the :lk: for the following reasons:

• I do not want to accidentally perform an EX variant of any move when plinking with two punch buttons
  • If I were to mess up the plink, I would rather get a sweep from the mist step than to get an EX WGF or EX Demon Fist
  • Plinking with the :hp: can possibly result in a chain when trying to juggle after the first EWGF with a standing :mp:

Hopefully this helps to those who are having trouble performing the EWGF - this definitely helped me in increasing the rate to get out EWGF. Feel free to contribute even more techniques to help ease EWGF execution.

Update:

LordOfUltima suggested plinking using the punch buttons to increase the chances of getting the EWGF out. At first I refrained against this because of how it’s possible to get the EX move out, but looking at it more closely, it can possibly benefit you better. As long as you’re plinking with the punch buttons earlier rather than later, you will not accidentally get the EX move out.

As otori had suggested, using the Japanese double plink technique will further increase the chances; this will be done using :lp:, :mp:, and :hp:

What is good about this Japanese plink technique is that let’s say you try and plink :hp:~:mp:. If you hit the buttons too early, you are essentially missing the plink. However, by adding :lp: to the plink, you will be hitting :lp: one frame later, thus turning your input into…

:lp::mp::hp:
:mp::hp:

This will count as hitting the :hp: button one frame apart, which is valid for Kazuya’s EWGF.

Thus, the ideal input that we want using this double plinking technique with the punch buttons will be…

:f:, N, :d:~:hp:~:df:~:mp:~:lp:

By applying this technique, we have the possible scenarios from the input display:

Scenario 1 (Success with a perfect double plink):
:df:+:lp:+:mp:+:hp:
:df:+:hp:
N

Scenario 2 (Success with the perfect double plink hit one frame early in the direction):
:d:+:hp:
N

Scenario 3 (Success with the :hp: plink saved):
:df:+:mp:+:hp:
N

Scenario 4 (Success with saving plink hit one frame early in the direction):
:d:+:mp:+:hp:
N

Scenario 5 (Success via plinking :hp:~:mp: successfully, but hitting :lp: one frame later):
:df:+:lp:
N

Scenario 6 (Success via getting the above plinking result, but one frame earlier in the direction):
:df:+:lp:
:d:+:hp:
N

Note however that if you hit the input one frame later in the direction, you can result in the following possible situations:

Scenario 1 (Regular WGF comes out):

N

Scenario 2 (EX WGF comes out):

N

Therefore, using the earlier plinking technique will give you two different situations for success, whereas the latter will give you six scenarios for success!

Warning: If you have more than two bars of meter, you will then perform Kazuya’s super rather than his EWGF since supers take priority over specials.

Unfortunaly, it’s too difficult to p-link LK with MP on pad (or is it me?), I can do with HP but if I miss: -> EX

It was difficult at first for me to do :mp:~:lk: and I’m on an arcade stick. It just takes practice, but it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

Good stuff thinking of plinking light kick, plinking kicks with punches never occured to me for some reason, I will definitely be trying this later

I’ll give it a try in the meantime, thanks a lot for this. I’m assuming that if you plink too late, as in:

:df: :mp: :lk:
:df: :mp:
(neutral)

You’ll get a regular wgf right? Also, how would that triple plink technique that japanese players use apply here? I believe it looks like:

:lk::mp::hp:
:hp:

I believe if you fuck up you’ll get the ex version, but would this increase the chances of getting the plink or would it overlap with the ex move? Iirc this technique is only applied to normals links.

If you plink it too late, then yes you will get a regular WGF, which is -1 on block, so you’re still safe. I’ll go ahead and add that as a “scenario 3”. Triple plinking will actually be detrimental in this game. With this new retarded quick combo system, you’ll burn a bar and have yourself do an automatic combo which is unsafe… Stupid quick combos lol.

Oh yeah…forgot about autocombos. Can’t even os sweep anymore against the mashfest backdashes.

Edit: wait, wouldn’t it still work if you triple plink with punches only? I don’t think there’s an autocombo shortcut with them.

Yeah, but like I said in my first reason, I don’t want to risk getting an EX move out by accident.

Hm when i try this i keep getting the spinning demon. I tried just pressing lk+mp at the same time (not plinking) and the demon takes precedence over the wgf apparently. I’m getting an extra :df: before the button presses though =(.

yeah spinning demon takes precedence over wgf

but if you’re getting spinning demon you’re just pressing the buttons too late. try pressing them when you think you’re hitting down.

It helps to think that you’re plinking the direction as well as the button inputs, from my experience.

Hm ok. I need to switch my stick, the seimitsu one has too short activation range.

Updated the first post even further after LordOfUltima’s tutorial video.

Its hard to get used to plinking :mp:~:lk: but I think it’ll be worth it.

This plinking has definitely helped out a lot, thanks!
I still can’t do them very well on the 1p side, but its more to do with the motion than the timing of the buttons now

@Steel_Samurai: I’m glad that it helped you quite a lot - hopefully this gets to become a sticky if more people pay attention to this.

Is there a particular reason why people seem to get EWGF more on the p2 side?

You’re only using the fingers to execute the mist step rather than your whole hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I find it easier doing f, b, df.

You use the independant movement of your thumb and fingers making the motion easier. On the p1 side you have to use your wrist.