Tales of Dark & Light: The SNK storylines-Revived

in K groove, the JD comes from MOTW and the rage gauge comes from SS.

in KOF 98: DM (one of the 2 KOFs i own), there are two ‘modes’ you can choose from which closely represent S & N

that’s a good question about ground fireballs. i don’t know the answer.

anyway, does anyone remember from the first SNK thread that someone brought up that AOF2 was supposed to be the first-ever KOF tournament with geese as the sponsor? i may not be recalling this correctly, but it think he made the tournament to get back at the sakazakis or something. does anyone know the plot to AOF2?

I really don’t know too much about those ground projectiles, but since Terry has been the first man in SNK to ever perform these kind of moves (Power Wave since FF 1, which was released around the time SF II was launched), I guess SNK saw it fit to continue the tradition. In fact, Geese also had the Reppuken in FF 1 as well. Hmmm…

I think it was Saiki who said that AOF 2 was the first KOF tournament hosted by Geese. No doubt, Geese organized this so-called “tournament” from the sidelines, since you don’t get to fight him if you don’t meet special requirements (not losing a round), and everything seems to be managed in the outside by his underling, Mr. Big. Geese obviously wants the Sakazakis (or any other further opposition to his regime) crushed, and I can only imagine Geese hosting a tournament in AOF 2 for that reason.

Do you have any proof that Kyo won at least one kof? No one is ever called a champion in kof, the people(lika Chizuru) says that the team you choose is the one that won the last kof…

In 1996:

Except for the —>Hero team <-----, she says “I hope I would find the power that destroyed Rugal, but you’ll do.”

Which means it has to be the Hero team that won in '95.

She says that for the Hero Team too. And…
In 1996:
Except for new teams, Chizuru says"You Defeated the mighty Rugal."

Can anyone fill me in on the stories and backgrounds of the non-main characters in the Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting and S.Spirits games? Characters like Richard Meye for example.

Got another question. Anyone know what happened to Rugal’s panther? *Don’t be ashamed if you SNK gurus aren’t sure. :smiley: *

Oh, and about Iori, what’s his reputation like among all the KOF characters? What are some of their opinions of him? And who actually perceives him as an inherently evil person?

here’s FF & KOF, both FAQ’s by LANTIS:
www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/1410.html

about the whole “who won the KOFs?” the japan team is the most likely team. i dot think its explicitly stated anywhere, but if you look at the stories for each year in Lantis’ FAQ, it seems most logical the kyo won in 94, 95, 96, and 97. just because the game says something to all characters does not mean that its valid

dont know about rugal’s panther. maybe zero captured it and glued a mane on it.

as for iori, i dont know either–i can’t imagine he’s very popular, (like as far as billy & eiji are concernded), but he did help save the world, so …

Grenade Falcon: The last time I saw, Rugal’s panther was hanging around with King’s waitresses (Sally and Elizabeth) in the “Next Challenger” booth in the China stage of KOF '97. I guess the panther just went back to the wildlife or something… :smiley:

As far as I know, Iori is considered something like “a loose cannon”. I haven’t heard of many characters talking about him, but those who do (Kyo, Billy, Seth, Chizuru) don’t express of him too well. Actually, I think many of them are afraid of him and his possible reaction, so they would most likely stay clear of him (considering his past record).

Smashz: I think KOF stopped having “offcial winners” since the KOF tournament always gets interrupted by the same megalomaniac boss and the tournament sorta gets into “fight for survival” mode, but the general consensus is that (once you have tagged out those endings that could have happened even if they didn’t win the tournament), it’s like:

KOF '94: Japan Team (they seem to be the only team having a “personal issue” with Rugal as Rugal did defeat Saisyu and all)

KOF '95: Hero Team (Kyo + Saisyu and later avenging him against Rugal) with possible interference by Iori (he does say something to Rugal regarding the Orochi power).

KOF '96: Hero Team, Yagami Team, and Ikari Team could have all reached the finals somehow, but it ends up being the God Caliber Team ending (I mentioned the Ikari Team because Leona DOES play a big part in knowing her role in the whole Orochi gimmick).

KOF '97: God Caliber Team, for obvious historic reasons.

KOF '98: Errr…no. :rolleyes:

KOF '99: Hero Team seems to be the only team with a personal reason to fight Krizalid AND we have a different dialogue vs. Kyo (unlike all the others). Whip could have been wandering around, too.

KOF 2000: Must have been either the Hero Team or Benimaru Team (because of the Lin/Ron rivalry).

KOF 2001: Hero Team, no doubt.

Richard Myer: Brazilian dude who practices Capoeira and also runs the Pao Pao Cafe. Bob Wilson is his student.

Wait a minute

This FAQ is wrong.

According to Saiki, Art of Fighting 2 is the Real first KOF tournament and Ryo is the first REAL champion NOT Billy Kane.

A lot of that FAQ had to be made using deduction by looking at stuff from the games. It didn’t get the benefit of a nice guy who could speak Japanese and owned the books like Saiki to check and re-check facts and all.

Surprised everyone when it was discovered that AOF2 was the first KOF tourney…

True,

Maybe Lantis probably could do a re-write and update these Faqs.

over at www.neo-geo.com i posted the question “what happens in AOF2?”. the answers are a bit vague, but this is MY intrepretation: geese and mr. big were not on the best of terms, and geese would of liked to see Mr. Big out of the picture.

so he made a fighting tournament based in Southtown called “the King of Fighters”, with mr. Big as the boss. geese invited the kyokugen gang to fight, knowing that ryo would reach the finals, beat up Mr. big, giving geese even more control of ST with big out of the way.

Re-writing? :wtf:

faints

I never said my FAQ was 100% accurate, but I have to admit, that fact by Saiki really swept me from my feet, but I also feel there is a lot more where that came from. :smiley: I hope Saiki shares some info that I failed to perceive, because I hate living in doubt. :wink:

Well we know that AOF2 takes place before FF.

But according the timeline of AOF, Ryo, Robert, Yuri and King would all be MUCH older then the FF crew.

SNK’s timelines are REALLY screwed up.

What’s funny is that if you ignore KOF, then AOF and FF’s timelines merge with each other perfectly for the most part. It’s only when you throw in AOF with its time-frozen AOF characters that things start messing up :stuck_out_tongue: Otherwise, since most AOF characters don’t appear in the FF series and you can see Geese’s age progression, the timelines fit just fine.

Perhaps I should refrain myself to including that AOF 2 tidbit from the KOF story FAQ, or else it would probably mess up everyone’s minds. I still want the FAQ to leave the people satisfied, not more confused. :stuck_out_tongue:

IMO, it’s like this:

AOF -> FF

FF -> KOF

Which means AOF doesn’t move into the KOF series too well…

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. It’ll save you the backlash I got for bringing to lights such true facts as Poison’s gender, Ken and Guile’s relations, and Zangief’s sexual orientation, at least.

We fear change. Truth is stranger than fiction!

is still trying to figure out if this reply was meant to be sarcastic or not. …eh, I need more sleep

On a random different topic, Saiki pointed out at Gamefaqs that Iori’s pre-Chizuru-Battle dialogue was mistranslated and changed by SNK of America. Iori in the Japanese version never makes a reference to Mature and Vice’s virginity at all, and instead remarks how he knew he had orochi blood/ability/whatever, all along. So guess that throws out that whole proof for him banging the two.

prepare for the onslaught of a million iori fanboys

anyway, i had originally saw his USA dialogue as iori insulting V & M, not claiming he had sex with them.

Lantis: you’re right about the difficulty of fighting AOF with KOF. everyone on the AOF team should be like 20 years older than SNK claims them to be, in the first place.

is anyone eager to find out the storyline of KOFEX?? i am, but the game can’t be that great with the shoulder buttons and all. i know that if you play thru with the FF team, geese is the final boss. i really would like to know about his involvement this year. also, it turns out that it was MOE who saved kyo immediately after the orochi battle. i guess NESTS gets him after 98’s KOF.

by the way, didn’t NESTS capture iori too, or is that just ‘fan canon’?

Tiamat Roar: As it is, I already receive a lot of mails from several guys telling me some really annoying theories. A hopeless Terry fanboy is always telling me “Terry was the one who won KOF '94, not Kyo!”. And then I have another guy who wants to push down my throat the theory that “Iori and Lawrence are Muslims! Iori has the symbol of Muslims on his back (crescent moon), and Lawrence has the name and looks like a Muslim!”. I’m very much like :wtf: :confused: .

Imagine what would happen if I include AOF 2 in there…Not that I’m not tempted to do so (if that’s what SNK says), but then, I wonder how many “But the AOF characters have the same age as the FF characters!” mails I’ll receive. Boy… :eek:

tool_028: It seems that Geese is the staple last boss for EVERYONE, not just the Fatal Fury Team. I also heard that KOF EX was a bit less than crap, something like the control being inaccurate? :confused:

About Iori, no. It seems unlikely that he was kidnapped by NESTS. In his prologue for KOF '99, he was looking for Kyo, and happened to stumble upon a NESTS base with Kyo clones, which Iori promptly decimated. :stuck_out_tongue: