Super Saikyo Dan Match-up Thread

This is meant to replace the old Dan Matchup Thread. This is a current work in progress.

Some of this information I gathered myself, but if its wrong, just let me know!

Abel

Abel

Spoiler

Adon

Adon

Spoiler

Misc Adon Information:

Notable Normals:

Standing HK: Slow, but very far range 2 hit poke, similar to Sagat's. C. standing HK will whiff on pretty much every character if their crouching point blank.

C. Medium Punch: Decent Poke

J. Medium Kick: Somewhat Ambiguous cross up, should be looked out for.

Specials:

Rising Jaguar: (DP equivalent) Occasionally misses if normally combo'd into and not linked, HK version has much more invincibility than LK version. Combo ender

Jaguar Tooth (the off the wall kick) can be punished with Koryuken, Ultra 2 (Probably Ultra 1, haven't checked) and Knee(Specific Timing, not really worth it), however HP Koryuken is the most reliable because of the standing hitbox. If blocked, basically puts you in a 50/50 situation with the other person, you recover at the same time.

Jaguar Kick (Axe Kick): Can be used to change trajectory similar to Dan Knee. Needs more testing, from what i saw it usually trades with knee not in Dan's Favor ***take with grain of salt***

Misc: Ado

Ultras:

U1:
Gadouken/Full Screen Koryuken to build meter can be punished by Adon's Ultra 1 (Goes about 3/4th of the screen) If your in the air and your hit with U1 it'll never fully connect, it'll just tack on about 180 damage or so.

U2: (Fucking Bono)
Adon's U2 for the most part loses to Air Knee, so you can usually bait it out if you neutral jump when they have ultra. Easily combo'd ultra, usually preferred ultra.

Depending what kind of Adon player your fighting, wether it be scrubby or someone who knows what their doing, always try to hit Adon out of Jaguar Tooth. It's extremely telegraphed and if they keep spamming it, free damage for you. He can change the distance on it to trick you into doing an uppercut, but im pretty sure he doesn't recover fast enough to punish you if you miss. Unless your using it in a combo, i'd probably say stay away from Gadouken in this match. Adon has dozens of way's to get around fireballs and Dan's is no exception.

Adon's got a few options on wakeup, but most of them are stuffed by Knee. Rising Jaguar is his DP equivalent and usually ends most of his combos. Standard Dan mixups should work pretty well against him. Some general Adon shenanigans i like to employ consist of after a knockdown, Dash up 2x and then EX Jaguar Tooth. More often than not, it baits a grab and EX Jaguar Tooth launches, which can be combo'd into with U2 (In Corner) or Jaguar Knee. As i said previously, you can pretty much punish Jaguar Tooth with Koryuken or U2 for full damage.

I'll post more later. -D-bus

Akuma

Akuma

Spoiler

Balrog/Boxer

Boxer

Spoiler

Blanka

Jimmy

Spoiler

Mostly you can’t :frowning: If he’s stupid enough to do a slide close enough a c.MK xx EX Dankuu is free, not sure if s.MP will be close enough to be the close version so maybe try s.MP xx HK Dankuu as well.
If you see him do the Rainbow Ball or whatever it’s called start Focus, if he hits you in front you get a free FA3 combo, if he hits behind you’ll have to dash cancel it (not sure if punish is still available here).
If he does a Vertical Ball and misses you can’t get a proper punish on it (or it’s extremely hard) since he seems to recover as soon as he lands so you need to hit him out of the air; KRK is easy enough, s.HK perhaps, HK Dankuu might be possible or EX Dankuu shouldn’t be too hard.
I think blocked Vertical Ball and Horizontal Ball are both punishable in the corner, I’ve pushed a Blanka into the corner and punished Horizontal Ball with Shissou back in SF4, punishing with Haoh might not be possible though :frowning:

Best way to deter Horizontal Balls is to spam c.LP but make sure you’re outside of his stupid slide since that’ll beat c.LP. If you’re quick enough you can beat Horizontal Balls with KRK or if you’re feeling lucky and try predicting one and countering with a KRK.

Blanka that like to wake-up with Electricity hit them with a c.MK combo. If they wake-up ball then KRK in their face. As XHM once said sometimes the best option is to be really random against them. I’d also be careful once they have meter, most Blanka aren’t above using wake-up Ultra as I found out recently >.>

Otherwise it’s just a very annoying match where as usual you need to be really patient and careful with your approach.

• Sugami

Crimson Viper

C.Viper

Spoiler

Her AA Thunder Knuckle appears to beat wake-up Knee :frowning: If she flies across the screen after knocking you down then a simple reversal KRK should stuff anything she tries, otherwise it’s a mix-up which direction to block. -Sugami

Cammy

Cammy

Spoiler

Chun Li

Chun Li

Spoiler

Dan

Dan cosplayer

Spoiler

Dee Jay

Mr. Smiles

Spoiler

Dhalsim

Stretch Armstrong

Spoiler

Dhalsim will try to outzone you, either with stretchy arms or Yoga Fire, or a mix of both. Block the flame, Focus the arms, and move in. Sometimes a good jump and late LK Danku will stuff his anti airs. When you’re in, try your best to stay in, he can’t really do much but throw and teleport. Try jabbing his teleports if you can. -Sugami

Dudley

Pringles Guy

Spoiler

Dan’s preferred distance is also favorable to Dudley. Up close, once Dudley’s in, there isn’t much Dan can do. Watch for his overheads and try to block and punish. Footsies are very risky at this point. Try to punish Machinegun Blows and his Jet Uppers if at all possible. Try to get the rushdown first, and there isn’t much Dudley can do except reversal Jet Upper.

Cross Counter loses to low attacks and armor breakers. You’ll know when he does it when he stands up with his arms down and says “Come on then!”.

E. Honda

E.Honda

Spoiler

El Fuerte

El Fuerte

Spoiler

You can punish Guacamole quite easily if you haven’t committed yourself to anything, it can grab Knee/Dankuu but often loses to it so the risk is greater to them than you. Also if you walked up to them and did a Kouryuken in their face as they did a wake-up Guacamole you will win, I’m pretty sure of that. You can really bully him with wake-up Knee and Dankuu pressure with little risk to yourself.

MK/HK Dankuu is the Run killer, he runs straight into that and EX Run doesn’t help him out either. Just have to be careful of him cancelling his run and catching you with those throws on your recovery. -Sugami

EX Koryuken will get you out, but I don’t think it’ll hit her because in the “proper” Ibuki vortex she’ll be directly above you once you’re able to use your wakeup reversal. She’d probably be able to sneak in a Neckbreaker to knock you down again before you recover from the Koryuken and then resume.

Haoh Gadoken, however, will get you out. As long as her kunai is a crossup (and it usually is), you’ll auto-correct Haoh Gadoken on wakeup when done as a reversal, and because it’s so slow (and Ibuki’s landing recovery after a kunai is equally slow) she’ll fall right into it and be unable to do anything about it. - Xiao Mao

Fei Long

Bruce Lee wannabe

Spoiler

Gen

Old fart

Spoiler

Gouken

Familiar old guy

Spoiler

Guile

Broom Head

Spoiler

Guy

Grasshopper

Spoiler

Hakan

Hakan

Spoiler

Ibuki

Ninja hottie

Spoiler

EX Kouryuken, go straight through the kunai (maybe even hitting it) and should smack Ibuki as she jumps at you. Strange, just looked at that old Justin Wong demo and he can get the kunai to not cross-up but whenever I tried it was always a cross-up, I’ll have to practice that a little.

She doesn’t really have a high-low mix-up, her overhead is so slow it’s pretty easy to block on reaction and after the kunai they pretty much always go into the s.LP > s.MP > s.HP target combo.

If you try jumping I think you’ll get knocked down by the kunai, which then should be techable and ruin their spacing for the vortex, it’s a bit of a sacrifice but should get you out of the vortex methinks. - Sugami

Juri

Promiscuous Evil Lady

Spoiler

Everything Juri does is unsafe. Her divekicks are unsafe if she does all three hits and you block, but should also be punishable after the first blocked it. However the first hit at max distance or Tiger Knee’d, they are safe. Blocked pinwheels are in your favor. She has great pokes, so be careful. Also, her j.faps and nj.HK are extremely good air to air. You should be able to beat out a lot of her attacks with j.LK, the only attack you should use air to air.

Get used to her zoning game, she can store low (block low), mid (crouch taunt that shit), and high (good for anti air). She can store fireballs and use them in combos. Try to stay grounded and get a knockdown to start your pressure. Her wakeup moves are ass, as Pinwheel can be beaten out by LK Danku or blocked and punished.

Ken

Owen Wilson

Spoiler

M. Bison/Dictator

Dic

Spoiler

Makoto

Spunky

Spoiler

Rose

Rose

Spoiler

Rufus

Fat bastard

Spoiler

Ryu

Sonny Chiba

Spoiler

Pop far hadoukens with gadouken if you can for meter. If you trust in your fireball avoiding skills, do not approach if you have a lead.
Jump far hadoukens, i dont think the super frametrap is in anymore but if it is im sure it can be avoided with air taunt or danku
Koryuken his jump in attempts, if you can. Even if we trade, we can do ultra, which ryu cant now, haha :slight_smile:
He will beat us in footsies but its better than jumping in. We can get in with good prediction/mk/gadouken. If you are in his cr. mk range and he just keeps doin cr.mk->hadouken, predict with a jump in/koryu/whatever.
Ryu’s sweep is punishable on block by dankuu, i believe. Ryu is actually just good guessing if you get knocked down. Most common is a bait/hadouken. If he approaches you, watch for the overhead or the throw. Does the db lp+lk option select beat all of those?
Try to save meter, it will be useful for koryu attempts/ ex dankuu. You should gain a lot of meter this match. I personally like to do cr.mk to ex dankuu to get in. Even if its blocked its a good dynamic entry!
Once were in, its all a guessing game. Once he has 2 bars of meter I would play a bit more conservativly, blocking when you would go for a throw/another move in blockstrings/knee traps. His shoryuken becomes a low risk high reward instead of vice versa. Of course the same goes for us :slight_smile:
The Ultra id suggest for this match up is Ultra 2. Even though with good prediction ultra 1 can stop his fireballs, you can do similar with ultra 2, and its too hard to get the legendary taunt->ultra 1 in this match, imo.

Sagat

murderer…

Spoiler

Sakura

Kiddo

Spoiler

Seth

copycat

Spoiler

T.Hawk

Geronimo

Spoiler

Well concerning punishable moves his DP (Tomahawk Buster) is easily punishable, Condor Dive can be punished by HK or EX Dankuu I’m pretty sure, Condor Spire (the horizontal moving attack) is at the very best -5 on hit so you can punish with Kouryuken or throw (not sure if close enough for throw), definately close enough for a s.LP so you could even do s.LP xx Kouryuken or EX Dankuu if you find that easier. -Sugami

For God’s sake do not close in on T.Hawk. You run the risk of a mashed 360 if you do for BIG DAMAGE. Stay the hell away from him by all means necessary. If you can bait the Condor Spires and Dives and punish, then do so. But if you feel like you have to close in, leave no holes in your strings/combos and do not whiff. You will be sorry.

Vega/Claw

Claw

Spoiler

Zangief

Zangief

Spoiler

Good shit. Love the nicknames. But Sakura= Kiddo! and Akuma= Father? (jk)

Who shall we start with?

Hmmm.

Lets see if we can get info on the Shotos and Akuma first. Most common matchup.

awesome work.
some nickname suggestions:
Angry MILF
Spandex girl
Thighs McGee
Nacho Libre
JAL
Mistress Cleo

OK sure.

Ryu:
Pop far hadoukens with gadouken if you can for meter. If you trust in your fireball avoiding skills, do not approach if you have a lead.
Jump far hadoukens, i dont think the super frametrap is in anymore but if it is im sure it can be avoided with air taunt or danku
Koryuken his jump in attempts, if you can. Even if we trade, we can do ultra, which ryu cant now, haha :slight_smile:
He will beat us in footsies but its better than jumping in. We can get in with good prediction/mk/gadouken. If you are in his cr. mk range and he just keeps doin cr.mk->hadouken, predict with a jump in/koryu/whatever.
Ryu’s sweep is punishable on block by dankuu, i believe. Ryu is actually just good guessing if you get knocked down. Most common is a bait/hadouken. If he approaches you, watch for the overhead or the throw. Does the db lp+lk option select beat all of those?
Try to save meter, it will be useful for koryu attempts/ ex dankuu. You should gain a lot of meter this match. I personally like to do cr.mk to ex dankuu to get in. Even if its blocked its a good dynamic entry!
Once were in, its all a guessing game. Once he has 2 bars of meter I would play a bit more conservativly, blocking when you would go for a throw/another move in blockstrings/knee traps. His shoryuken becomes a low risk high reward instead of vice versa. Of course the same goes for us :slight_smile:
The Ultra id suggest for this match up is Ultra 2. Even though with good prediction ultra 1 can stop his fireballs, you can do similar with ultra 2, and its too hard to get the legendary taunt->ultra 1 in this match, imo.

The match is probably 6-4 ryu because of zoning, but once we are in it feels much more like a 5-5.

Sakura should be #1 Saikyo Student :stuck_out_tongue:

So anyone else have Ryu/Shoto match up details?

Any tips on Blanka would be nice, or Honda.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I agree with tips on Blanka, I am having a lot of trouble…
Honda is tough too…
I think both match ups are 6-4 or 7-3 in their favor T_T

1. Sorry didn’t get back to you Joe, glad you made the thread though

2. I’ll try to provide you guys with any Adon information i can, as he seems to be the guy im sticking with.

Misc Adon Information:

Notable Normals:

Standing HK: Slow, but very far range 2 hit poke, similar to Sagat’s. C. standing HK will whiff on pretty much every character if their crouching point blank.

C. Medium Punch: Decent Poke

J. Medium Kick: Somewhat Ambiguous cross up, should be looked out for.

Specials:

Rising Jaguar: (DP equivalent) Occasionally misses if normally combo’d into and not linked, HK version has much more invincibility than LK version. Combo ender

Jaguar Tooth (the off the wall kick) can be punished with Koryuken, Ultra 2 (Probably Ultra 1, haven’t checked) and Knee(Specific Timing, not really worth it), however HP Koryuken is the most reliable because of the standing hitbox. If blocked, basically puts you in a 50/50 situation with the other person, you recover at the same time.

Jaguar Kick (Axe Kick): Can be used to change trajectory similar to Dan Knee. Needs more testing, from what i saw it usually trades with knee not in Dan’s Favor take with grain of salt

Misc: Ado

Ultras:

U1:
Gadouken/Full Screen Koryuken to build meter can be punished by Adon’s Ultra 1 (Goes about 3/4th of the screen) If your in the air and your hit with U1 it’ll never fully connect, it’ll just tack on about 180 damage or so.

U2: (Fucking Bono)
Adon’s U2 for the most part loses to Air Knee, so you can usually bait it out if you neutral jump when they have ultra. Easily combo’d ultra, usually preferred ultra.

Depending what kind of Adon player your fighting, wether it be scrubby or someone who knows what their doing, always try to hit Adon out of Jaguar Tooth. It’s extremely telegraphed and if they keep spamming it, free damage for you. He can change the distance on it to trick you into doing an uppercut, but im pretty sure he doesn’t recover fast enough to punish you if you miss. Unless your using it in a combo, i’d probably say stay away from Gadouken in this match. Adon has dozens of way’s to get around fireballs and Dan’s is no exception.

Adon’s got a few options on wakeup, but most of them are stuffed by Knee. Rising Jaguar is his DP equivalent and usually ends most of his combos. Standard Dan mixups should work pretty well against him. Some general Adon shenanigans i like to employ consist of after a knockdown, Dash up 2x and then EX Jaguar Tooth. More often than not, it baits a grab and EX Jaguar Tooth launches, which can be combo’d into with U2 (In Corner) or Jaguar Knee. As i said previously, you can pretty much punish Jaguar Tooth with Koryuken or U2 for full damage.

I’ll post more later.

Its no prob, thanks for the Adon info. I’ll summarize after I get done.

I main Chun now…

Nice Adon info! thanks much I was wondering about some stuff…
No wonder I saw you in the Chun boards, haha. Im not sure who I main. Its a pretty even split between Dan, Chun, and Guy as of now…

You can still trade srk > ultra1 with Ryu…

This will probably need some further testing but in a match recently I did a backwards air taunt over Adon’s entire ultra 2. I nabbed a replay it’s pretty crazy.

It’s very situational though, i.e. happens a lot less than it used to.

For Adon, after blocked jaguar tooth koryuken beats everything he can do except block, right?
When you have two or more bars of meter+ultra, id more liberal with your koryus, especially after blocked jaguar. Most adons I play follow up with a grab or something. Especially if you havent used koryu after block much.
Just took a ryu thing and applied it for Dan…

Jaguar Tooth is like -1 or -2 on block, unless it’s the light version. Kouryuken should give you the advantage over any offensive option he has but back dash should get you out of the way of both throw and Rising Jaguar.

Akuma needs to be renamed to Carrot-head on the opening post.