Stuck? We got answers! VF5 Newbie Help Thread

This thread is for people new to VF who needs help getting into the game, and for more advanced players to help them out. Here are some links that might come in handy:

**VF4 Tutorials - **It’s for an older game, but many of the concepts still apply, which FS doesn’t cover, sadly. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CD02C04CA76F253&feature=plcp

VFDC - http://virtuafighter.com/ (**Note: it could be down for some of you due to migration)

Attack levels and classes - http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/system_part_2

Weight classes - http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/323470/VF5FS Weight Classes

SRK Character Directory - VF5:FS Game Play Discussion Thread | Character Directory

Character Movelists - http://virtuafighter.com/commands/

Dandy J’s Tutorial
[media=youtube]boM7T3BWewY[/media]

not sure if this is the best place but I asked this in the Eileen thread but it may be good to ask it in general. I’m having big issues getting that first attack off. When I play Eileen especially I’m wanting to get in and get combos started. I especially like anything that gets me a ring out in a combo or two. That said to get that started I need to get in but I’m having issues doing that at the start. So what are some good ways to get in generally or if you know any links that would be helpful they would be much appreciated.

Another question of mine is more along the lines of general strategy, I like the idea of playing to get ring outs, dunno why but I got that in my head when I started playing this the other day. I’ve never played Virtua Fighter in any serious way till now so I really don’t know, would you consider using a ring out game plan viable? Or should I focus more on trying to just get as much damage as I can?

general info that may be helpful for any answers: I main Eileen and Lion, I tend to use Eileen more, and I’m VERY new only having this game for 3 days and am currently a 1st dan with a 21:33 win/loss (yea I feel pathetic admitting that).

Rings out are not as common as SC, which is strange as you can just ring yourself out by walking backwards, which can’t happen in SC. So I wouldn’t make ring outs my go to strategy, but if the oppertunity is there, then by all means go for it.

I am having trouble to defend attacks because I can’t see on time,if I should block high or low.
What’s the best solution for this or is the only way to get a better defense by learning all the combos of every character,so you know how to block a combo?

Basically you just need to understand and know all the options each character has and that comes from experience. There are very few unseeable lows, so the majority of stuff is reactable. But it helps going into each characters command training and start to recognize which strings end in low.

Is it just me or are high attacks rather weak? Sure they are usually faster than mids and lows, but they seem so easy to avoid. And you can’t force mixups with high attacks like you can with mids, lows, and throws. What is the optimum usage for high attacks?

It depends on the attack, but speaking generally, they can be useful to set up offense (regular standing P is +2 on block, making any mid 14 frames or faster uninterruptible), as quick punishes to set up frame advantage (P, K with most characters), to stop an evasion attempt (Lei Fei’s 6K), etc.

Don’t forget about EX highs, which you can crouch under but can’t go under with crouching moves. This can make them useful for neutral or some very specific string shit (i.e. Pai 3PK).

Hey King, might want to add this link w/ frame data & movelists to your original post. http://virtuafighter.com/commands/

I’ve been having a really, really frustrating experience with going for guaranteed throw attempts. Is it still guaranteed after eight frames? I’ll block stuff like sweeps, rising attacks, or Jacky’s 9K and ninety percent of the time they’ll hit a button and I’ll get bapped in the face. What’s the most likely thing that I’m doing wrong? Am I trying from too far, am I waiting too long before I throw, etc.

Guaranteed throws are -10( thanks Whatisalee) or more IIRC.

Strings you mean, like PPPK or whatever. If you mean that, 95% of string used online will end in a high or low, so just block low at the end of strings you recognize.

An elbow or any other fast mid is a good move to start with in general. If you know your opponent is a jabber, just start with a high crushing knockdown low. Honestly it depends on your opponent and your general playstyle.

I don’t think you should focus on ringing out your opponent because the opportunity isn’t always there. You focus opening up your opponent by using throw and lows to keep them from blocking high too much.

This seems like an appropriate thread to post this.

[media=youtube]boM7T3BWewY[/media]

Throws are guaranteed at -10. Well, most throws anyway. Wolf’s Burning Hammer is a 16f throw, but it’s one of the few exceptions.

If you go look at the ‘frame advantage counter’ in training mode, a +/-[green #] (usually 10) indicates a throw-guaranteed situation (like Lion’s 3pp or Jean’s 66p+k on block).

Rising attacks are only -6 on block. Nothing is guaranteed, but you still have heavy advantage. If you throw, they can’t crouch in time to duck it. They can try to attack you out of it, but even if they try a P or 2P, any attack 18f or faster will beat them (launchers). They can also evade so watch out for that.

If you block a sweep, it’s better to go for a 17~18f launcher. Most sweeps are -18f or more on block and are launch-punishable. But if your character has low throws, you can opt for that instead if their sweep leaves them in a crouched state. Be wary though; a good player will buffer a throw break on reaction to a blocked sweep so you’ll have a 50/50 chance of hitting the low throw.

Jacky’s 9K is -15f on block so it’s certainly punishable. Depending on what character you play, you can get some good damage in. It has some pushback so your throws might be missing completely. If you play Brad, 6P+K will punish that nicely. I think Akira’s 666p can float that too. Aoi’s 64P+KP will probably reach. It depends on you character. Have Jacky repeat 9k>guard in training mode, and see what you can punish it with.

General note on punishing stuff: buffer your punishes during blockstun so they’ll come out on the first possible frame you recover from blocking. Don’t attempt to time your punish; just do it as soon as you recognize a punish situation.
General note on crouching: it takes 5f to crouch dash to a ducking position (33g); and it takes 7f to crouch to a ducking position (2g). So at -6f or more, it’s impossible to crouch under a throw.
General note on online: sometimes, certain things don’t happen like they should online. It might not be your fault. When in doubt, test it out in training mode.

EDIT: I saw your post in the Wolf thread so I’m assuming you play Wolf. After Jacky’s 9K, try punishing it with Screw Hook (63214PP). And yeah, Burning Hammer is 16f.

So when I am knocked down, are there instances where 8P is guaranteed for the opponent? because against me it is always guaranteed. Occasionally I ground tech and block, or randomly roll out of range… say 1/50 times. Once my opponent realizes this, every knockdown ends with free 8P.

… OK I exaggerate, but should i be spinning the stick while I mash buttons? I am good at mashing buttons – I mash harder than anyone – but it doesn’t save me.

Also it seems to me that if i have to mash P+K+G to tech faster, then i can’t roll if i want to tech fast, because I am mashing fewer buttons. So it seems either mash hard and tech in place, or tech all lazy and shit and get my roll on.

Ohhh, that explains a ton. Speaking of Wolf, I’ve heard people say stuff like Giant Swing has a really long range. Do all throws have different ranges, or was that just a random commentary thing?

While I’m probably not at a level where it will become an issue yet I’m wondering what’s fuzzy guard? I seen it come up on the general thread. Any way how to recognize a fuzzy situation and avoiding it?

This video is seriously awesome. Front page material.

fuzzy guarding lets you avoid the mid-attack/throw mixup. You press 33(down forward x2) fast and then G so you dont get the crouch dash animation.
YOu will avoid incoming throws and be up fast enough to guard a mid attack.
If you wann practice it, you can go to training and sett the dummy to “guard, then throw”. Punch him and do the fuzzy guard, if you did it right you avoided the throw and still stand up. I think theres something about it in the tutorial mode too.

Actually the best way to practice fuzzy guard is when you are at -4/-5, that’s often the times when you’ll go for it. Most often after a blocked ‘elbow’ (elbow usually being a 14f move leaving you at -4/-5, usually it’s 6P). After a blocked P you’ll probably press your advantage than go for a fuzzy guard, which is a more (aggressive) defensive option.

If you are at -3 then you can fuzzy with just hitting 2G and then stand guard. for instance, you just blocked a standing P, which is -2, the opponent can go for a throw or a mid, hitting 2G quickly and then releasing 2 to stand back up will beat both options.

When you are at -4 to -6, then you will need to do a dash cancel fuzzy guurd 33G

This is outlined in the above video by Dandy J at 1:06:23