ST: counter characters

Don’t ever change your avatar title. :lol:

Does anyone know why Cammy is good against Dhalsim? I know that her jump jab stuffs pretty much all his wake up options, and I guess her hooligan combination is tough for him to avoid, but that’s all I know. Also, is Vega a counter to Ryu? As Ryu, this is one of the toughest fights for me. Can any of you gurus help me out? Apoc, lftrpllr?

I’m no guru but cammy can punch sim’s limbs or cannon spike them just like ken/ryu can i do believe other than that she’s got the hooligan and her throws just have to work your way in! =D

Gief vs Bison

thsi match i hear argued all the time… Most people i talk to say Gief but ive seen how certain players such as Sirlin win this match for free w/ Bison! I see no way to win once Gief is on top of you doing constant splashes. I know keeping him out of range is a must, but what happens if you fall victim to one of Giefs trips? and you get knocked down? One spalsh by Gief is lights out! unless you have a super than you can blow the super to get back into SRH range! Essentially the match goes as follows gief will walk forweard and do teh occasional lariat or trip then duck down. Bison does Standing roundhouses. he cant do torpedo or stomp or scicorr kick b/c you toast if you do. then gief get bison in the corner and does jumping splash! game over. I see sirlin keep the range succesfully the whole match , but when i try i get knocked down by the Zangief CRH. and then im dead! anyhelp here?!

Don’t get knocked down. :slight_smile:

I know what you mean though. It SUCKS when the splashes start happenning. Jump up/back jab or strong might trade to at least get him off you. But even then it doesn’t always work, and you lose a pile of life just trying to get off the ground.

I don’t think it’s 1 trip and then it’s over though. If it’s a far ranged trip midscreen, the most Gief is gonna get is one splash. Because you can jump back with an attack (strong?) and hit him out of the next one. He does usually get a SPD though. :confused:

Best thing I’ve had happened to me trying to get out is Gief hitting with the splash on the way up. He has to throw it out really early if he wants to stop you from jumping out, so sometimes I get hit standing or sticking out a punch on his way up. Then just smack him out of the air before he lands. Still though, I can’t rely on it. :frowning:

Scissor knee is usually SPD bait if blocked but I have seen occasions where Bison can jump back and hit gief with j.MK out of his SPD attempt after the blocked scissors. Reversal SPD too. But I can’t rely on it.

Whatever you do, DON’T try to slide under him! :slight_smile: I tried it a few times and got ***ed hard. Maybe you can psycho crusher and try to get hit into the air?

I think it’s a really great match though. You have to be absolutely consistent with your zoning. Really tense.

I think ST Bison’s s.Feirce (the uppercut one, which is a very good move if you can get the tricky timing down) might work if you have enough time for it to get right out and Geif is jumping in after a mid screen trip at range but if Geif is coming down on you early you’ll get hit during its early frames.
If Geif jumps in with j.Roundhouse you can stuff it clean (as it can all ‘flat’ air attacks ie: Guile j.Roundhouse, Yoga Mummy etc…) with c.Feirce but I dont think it can stop the splash.
I know this is ST chat and not HSF2 AE but, I wonder how CE bison’s C.Feirce would do in this situation, that was an awsome anti air.

Crayfish.

Cammy’s jump strong beats just about every limb that Sim can toss out, including slides. This essentially lets her jump in with impunity, which can set up a 4-hit crossup combo that will dizzy Sim.

Hooligans, used sparingly, can be a huge pain for Sim to deal with. He can jump back and roundhouse drill them if he jumps immediately, but that doesn’t work when he’s in the corner.

I would strongly reccomend against trying to cannon spike limbs. Even a blocked cannon spike is punishable.

CE Bison’s c.fierce still rules in SF2:AE and it hits the splash clean, but still Zangief needs 1 knockdown to finish off Bison.

Sim vs Cammy

Sims only 100% sure fire defense to jumping cammy is to either Super IF available. Or teleport. I have seen the S.jab trade w/ the j.strong but its rather glitchy and doesnt always work. So wouldnt depend on it. You msut keep away w/ Sim or suffer! I would jsut teleport constantly nto giving her any chances to get in. Easier said than done!

Somehow I doubt cammy can nail yoga blast. Considering what you said about most cammy players jumping at sim without much thought, it shouldn’t be too hard to anticipate and barbecue their asses. Seriously I’ve never found that cammy was much of a problem for my sim and if she is supposed to be, there have to be some better reasons.

Shrug, I’m not going to detail exactly what I use to beat Sim. If you believe you can Yoga Blast her jump-ins that easily, more power to you, but in my experience, that simply isn’t the case.

Sim’s long range isn’t much of an issue either. Cammy can jump straight up and down over fireballs pretty easily if he decides to go that route, and by coming down with strong, she can beat his long range pokes. He also runs the risk of getting a fireball anticipated, which lets Cammy get in on him.

I wasn’t implying that this is some kind of Honda/Shoto match, I just feel that he has to work a lot harder, because the usual advantages he has over most characters just aren’t as effective.

More cammy

“there have to be some better reasons” Tsssk tsssk, Dude this match is just tough as nails for Dahlsim! trust me! :eek:

It’s quite hard to anticiapte. The Yoga Blast is not instant. So you have to slightly anticipate the jump. If you guess wrong you risk Cammy getting a Cannon Drill or a free walk in. Dhalsim has 3-5 anti air options: Anticipating the jump and Yoga Blasting, jump back fiercing Cammy, using a long range limb (forward, roundhouse, jb roundhouse) before Cammy gets a move out, or getting above Cammy and Mummy/Drilling her above the strong. Those last 2 are far from reliable choices. And all of them require a little anticiapation which isn’t really a great thing.

Dhalsim has difficulty outpoking her. And there’s the Hooligan combo which make the poking more difficult. Oh, and Cammy’s walking speed is damn fast (Vega and maybe Chun are quicker).

Dhalsim has a wide hitbox, making him a cross-up combo dummy. Being Dhalsim sucks in this match :frowning: There’s a reason I’m now a Bison player :lol:

Wow, thanks fore all the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

more on Dhalsim vs Cammy

Well I haven’t played turbo in a little while, but I’ve been thinking about this match a bit.

I can’t help but think that you guys are forgetting the yoga noogie. Seriously that thing is almost as stupid good as honda’s ochio to interrupt sloppy strings/bad jump ins. I’m assuming Cammy will be throwing out her strong fairly early to avoid being kicked out of the air or what have you. If she doesn’t, wouldn’t that give you ample time to react with a yoga blast (if you haven’t already knocked her out of the sky with a stand forward)?

If she jumps from closer to cross you up couldn’t you do a forward slide (past her) into noogie? The biggest problem would occur if she scores a knockdown since I seem to remember her having one of those ambiguous crossups.

Regardless I still think yoga blast would be the way to go in most circumstances. Even if you guess wrong I don’t see it being much of a problem. It’s even harder for cammy to react and smack Dhalsim off a whiffed blast than it is for sim to react to a jump in. The baiting game seems 50/50 to me and if cammy goes for a drill in anticipation of a blast and guesses wrong or is too slow on the draw she’ll be on the receiving end of the noogie trap.

Anyway feel free to tell me if I’m talking out of my ass since this is mostly pure conjecture. I’ll try to test it out on the weekend.

Edit: One little note on the Hooligan combination. Every time I’ve been hit by it I know that could have evaded it or knocked cammy out of it. From what I’ve seen a simple back+forward(the kick, yes SF terminology isn’t always ideal) always nails her out of it.

Anyone care to explain exactly why Vega beats Guile so badly? I hear that all the time. In my personal experience it hasn’t seemed as though Vega has an inherent advantage over Guile. What is it that makes this matchup so lopsided?

Keep in mind, the Yoga Blast covers the area right above Dhalsim’s head, and that’s just about it. At the range of Sim’s standing forward and far fierce, Cammy doesn’t have to worry about it at all. You can try to walk forward and do it, but in my experience, that hasn’t really worked well.

I’m not sure about back+fwd for countering the hooligan. I do know that jump back RH drill will counter it as long as you’re not in the corner, but you’ve got to be quick about it (almost immediate). She can also mix it up though; a strong hooligan will make the drill whiff, and she’ll grab him. You may have to be fairly quick on the back+fwd as well. The good thing about the Hooligan in ST is that it’s the fastest it’s ever been, so it’s often pretty hard to see coming, especially during an annoying ground fight, or after a blocked standing fierce.

Also, Cammy doesn’t have to put strong out early at all. In fact, if you put it out too early, it retracts. She only has to put it out as she starts coming down in range of any limbs that could possibly hit her. So a sac-throw (sacrifice the hit -> throw) doesn’t usually happen because she’s not hitting super early.

I’ve fought a lot of this matchup from Cammy’s perspective, and I’ve had a lot of success against some good Sim players. As I mentioned earlier in the thread though, some of that may have been from the “Cammy? wtf” factor. Definitely try out what you were talking about though, I’d like to shore up any holes in the match up.

I think it’s just that she can get in on Sim without thinking too hard. I don’t think Cammy owns Sim or anything, just that she has a much easier time dealing with the limbs and getting in than most other characters.

What if she jumps while you’re doing something? You won’t be able to squeeze out a blast, just block. Sliding under could avoid. But damn I hope you don’t get hit. And maybe the throw isn’t totally garaunteed? Bison memories? :slight_smile:

One little bonus I think she has is that the cannon spike is good for hitting jump-back Sim. It’s so annoying for other characters sometimes, but she can just fly on up there and smack him.

Vega vs Guile

Ok first of all im not the expert at all on this match… probably Watson and Apoc could give the best analysis on this matchup! I feel that vega has an edge here mainly b/c of agreat air game and poking advantage! I always would do wall dives all day and land short of guile hoping he would anticipate and Fkick and then i would throw or combo. but guile can also jump and do damage to you as well… so i think that this game ultimately comes down to guess! Crossupsa also can :confused: to guile. he will be looking up all day wonder where to block…once guile is laying on the ground i think that he has a hard time w/ vega. I prefer to be in the corner if im playing guile.Even if vega choses to play a ground game he can still get the adv jsut from his footspeed and jumping speed and reach! if feel outof 10 games it goes to vega 6-4

I take it that’s a challenge :wink: