ST: counter characters

So true :frowning:

DeeJay Vs.

Itā€™s improbable that any DeeJay would win vs. an OG Sagat. Variable tigershots will win most of the time.

Only a minor argument here, but I worry more about shoto than sagat. DeeJay can slide high tigers and a well-timed upkick can get him over low tigers if necessary. Also, unlike shotos, I feel safer dancing in sagatā€™s face, because of his huge hitā€™able box during tiger shot. I can just sit in his face and throw out cr. strongs and cr. fierces, unless the sagat player knows how to use his normals well, particularly short.

DeeJay has a hard time vs. wall jumping Vegas.

Unless DeeJay runs out of real estate, jumping jab will stop wall jumps.

Guile beats DeeJay due to some better moves and pokes.

I could see this going either way. Fun match

DeeJay gets beat by shotos if zoned in the corner. Ryu has a larger success rate due to his fireball being a bit faster than Kenā€™s.

No argument here :slight_smile: When zoned by shoto, DeeJay has to hope for a lucky knockdown to reposition. Also, I think Ken (new or old) is just as scary as Ryu , but for different reasons. Ryu fireballs in your face, while Ken will dp or knee bash you in the face.

DeeJay Vs.

Upclose i guess you could do OKā€¦ But how do you get in close? Because you are a charge character, and heā€™s freakinā€™ O.Sagatā€¦ I think youā€™ll have a hard time keeping up with the tigers from afar. You want to try and get in, land on tigers and anti-airs if youā€™re unlucky.

You could maybe upkick over a slow one, and boom after or somethingā€¦ I would try to knee it if I saw it coming. But I donā€™t think short upkicking over a RH tiger will get you anywhereā€¦

I havenā€™t played DJ vs OG Sagat in awhile but one way to get close if I remember correctly is to use (back to forward then short) to go over low tigers.

honda does pretty good against hief.

Dee Jay can do ok against Sagat.

Upkick or short dread kick over low tigers, match them somtimes if you have to, slow slide under high tigers.

Dread kick over low tiger isnā€™t that hard with decent timing, just practice a bit. You can upkick over one tiger then dread kick over the next at the right timing if the right speeds are used. (Do the upkick u/b, for charge chars always do the AAs to u/b!)

Works better than guile cause upkick covers more horizontal ground in less time.

Rather fight Sagat than Ryu personally. Ryu fireballs are just too damn fat and hard to deal with.

Honda eats Gief IMO. This match is where Honda starts going into hardcore CvS2 style turtle mode. The best way to win this match is to do nothing but headbutts and low strong. Note I didnā€™t say JAB headbutt; thereā€™s a reason. Zangief might jump short so that jab headbutt would whiff, and if you do it, you get SPDed. Thatā€™s one of the only things he has in this matchup. To avoid it mix up the speed of your headbutts. Worse that happens is you get hit and fly out of the range Zangief wants to be in anyway (of course, you donā€™t want to do this too much), but youā€™ll probably hit and score a knockdown, in which case you go back to doing nothing.

If bad things happen and Gief gets close, hcb+fierce repeatedly and try to grab him (or back+fierce if youā€™re Old Honda). I think O.Honda does better here because buttslam leaves you a TAD BIT too close for comfort; bearhug lets you play mindgames and risk the occasional getting in close or maybe a sliver of chip (donā€™t go for grabby into slappy. You know why.)

Any Gief vs. Honda tips anyone can share for the Zansterā€™s side?

Advance with Low Jabs with Gief until in Roundhouse range. Go for knockdown with sitting roundhouse. Then:

• Another Sitting Roundhouse knockdown.
  • Crossover Splash sitting forward, kick lariat.
  • Jumping Short, then Super.

But itā€™s definitely a tough match for Zangief. Especially if Honda just gets in the corner.

gief vs. honda = yummy

for who, Iā€™ll let yaā€™ll guess my opinion :wink:

Honda owns Zangief if played a certain way.:smiley:

What about the lariat? I canā€™t get it to work well against the headbutt at all, but I donā€™t care for the jab too muchā€¦ I get damage/knockdown with the lariat, and I suck at advancing with jabsā€¦ :slight_smile:

If you donā€™t time the lariat you could get hit. I think you gotta do it as a counter, otherwise the lariat gets hit. (unlike cvs2 that has a lot of leeway)

But you can telegraph crouching jabs while walking in, so you know you wonā€™t get hit with headbutt or super.

Thread Resurrection

My DJ fears Sim :bluu:

I think Javi mentioned this earlier, but I have to agree that sim has a really hard time against Honda. Headbutts just rape me and drills only seem to get me ochioā€™d regardless of how I space them. Zoning him with projectiles would seem like the way to go but the butt stomp seems so much more effective against Dhalsim than against other characters. I canā€™t meet him him in the air because even when I hit Iā€™ll usually trade and thatā€™s never a good idea against that fatass. If I drill heā€™ll fall under me and kill me. So far the only thing that seems to work is yoga blast, but itā€™s not exactly a reactionary anti-air and it leaves me open to headbutts which is what my lazy ass friend is looking for.

To top it off it, once heā€™s ahead there really is very little I can do to catch up considering the HUGE damage differential.

I know that as a sim player I probably wonā€™t get much sympathy :D, but this match really annoys me. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I could try to give some Guile Vs DJ matchup analysis, but it might have to be ignored; there is no ST where I live :open_mouth: We have SSF2: The New Challengers. So, just take what is valid here, and uh, if thatā€™s nothing, oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

Guile Vs. DeeJay.

When Guile plays offensive: DeeJay wins:

This is only basically for one reason: Deejayā€™s stupid ass slide kick. It stuffs most of his standing or crouching moves easily because it moves forward so fast, and itā€™s great anti-air against any of Guileā€™s jumping attacks (I prefer Forward kick myself). So if a DeeJay player knows what theyā€™re doing in that respect, they will probly beat out Guile; you will almost never see DeeJay in the corner, getting the sonic boom mind games from Guile. :stuck_out_tongue:

When Guile plays defensive: Guile Wins:

Itā€™s mostly the same principle here. Neither one can really beat the otherā€™s defense if they play smart. Smart Guile defense against DeeJay would be forcing DeeJay to jump from a fairly safe distance, then follow it up with a Flash Kick is he tries to counter with a jump attack. Of course, you could get in a nice crossup afterwards, but once DeeJay gets far enough back, itā€™s a stalemate again.

So, I guess Guile has a slight advantage, but itā€™s mostly a match that could go either way. In New Challengers anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, if anyone knows where thereā€™s an ST machine in the San Diego area, lemme know, cos thatā€™s about the closest place that would have one (About 100 miles from me, I live in the middle of nowhere, bleh).

Ok here is some cool Gief strategy that can only be done if Gief manages to SPD honda on the left corner of screen. If the SPD is done on honda at the left corner he will stay right next to Honda !

Now crossup Honda and re-cross him (mix this with low jabs) and SPD him again, the key for this strategy is to stop Honda from charging anything unless Honda risks it and goes into charging low, but if that happens your crossup will hit and heā€™ll eat a dizzy TOD combo. Whats gr8 in this lucky situation that honda will lose the charging advantage and the distance advantage, but still itā€™s a lucky situation.

You talking about if Gief is cornered and after the SPD Honda bounces the wrong way or something and is stuck next to gief right?

This works in both cornersā€¦ but itā€™s hard to make it work in the right corner.

You have to land with the SPD directly in the corner. So you plant hondaā€™s fat ass right in the corner and he bounces funny afterwards. The reason itā€™s so easy in the left corner is because the SPD always strays left in the air by default (similar to how his strong throw will always go left unless you force it to the right).

In order to make the SPD go to the right you have to end your motion on up-right, right, or down-right. Any other direction make it go left. So as you can tell, you might have to do different motions for the SPD than youā€™re used too if you want it to travel to the right (I do anyways). Especially if you want to do it from a standing position, and facing left. :-/

I donā€™t know if Iā€™d risk trying to jump back over Honda either personallyā€¦ If my crossup is blocked, Iā€™m gonna try to SPD that fat bastard before I even give him a CHANCE to knock me away again. :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s funny how after a SPD you can always get close enough to tick into SPD again against honda. I mean, if heā€™s no good at reversals, itā€™s great! But if he is, wellā€¦ bleh. Youā€™re back out, looking for the knockdown/jump-in/whatever again.

Honda stuff

Heres how i see honda fariing vs most of the characters ive seen Qs aboutā€¦

Honda VS Dhalsim: I get the most practice on this match than most people. Many still argue this but Honda has a field day in most cases! Once honda gets sim on the ground you jsut might as well let go of the controllerā€¦ unless your the master of the teleport w/ 1 frame to do it! otherwise you will lose 60% damage if i knock you down 1 time! For free! Sims only chance is to Zone honda and keep him out. Jumpng in with forward and LD RH stop all slides and and jabsā€¦ if you suspect a SJ from Sim this is where it becomes open season on Sim. Anticipate and Smash it w/ medium smash into ochio or it will hit clean . then do repeated smashes into ochico or into s.forward or C.RH and repeat!
Honda vs Gief: ilove this match! The only thing you have to worry about is getting knocked down b/c it can spell certain doom if you do get knocked down! As honda i will jsut do hands all day jump back into the corner and do hands then wait for a careless RH and i walk up and trip. always charge Super to counter a jumpin, while walking up to do teh standing RH trip. Head butt all jumpins for free. hands everythign else. if they start doign the jabs to take the hands out keep doign the hands anyway 1 hit makes up for many many jabs. Then the occasional trip will stop teh jabsā€¦ NEVER i repeat NEVER do the butt smash!!! Free grab for gief!
Honda vs Vega; hmmm another tough match but winnable. get in the corner as quick as possible. any wall dives use jumping strong ( one of the best air to air counters in the game). Once in teh corner, sit and wait him out, beware of the walk up grab! and his pokes take tons of damage for some reason vs honda! Try and knock him down and sit on his head. Never do long distance Butts. Hands are again teh key to victory and store your ochio as much as possible. If htey go off your wall while in the corner use S. fierce if its their wall use headbutt.
Honda vs Balrog: If you dont store your ochio you have little chance in winning this match! you have to get him before he gets his super. be aggressive. Sit on him and grab as much as possible!use hands often. Remember Rog can cancel into his super so if he blocks any of your specials your finishsed!
Honda vs shotos: ugg id rather fight Og sagat but not og ken or ryuā€¦ No help here jsut be carefuil and use the Fierce glid jump to get over FBs. Guess to get in over the FBs. and hurt him. Try to pull off Honda TOD. it works best against ryu and ken Crossup RH, jab into stored ochioā€¦ this will do 50% and will dizzy repeat this and there dead! 90% effective! dont work against all chars. Teh hands are ok watch for the Psychic DP. and heck watch everythingā€¦ especially Nkens glitch kick! BS move!
i guess thats enough!

I am not sure about ST butā€¦
in HF Honda beats the crap out of Sim with one move, jumping forward kick.

In ST, that still seems to work (even though itā€™s jumping down+forward kick now) but I think Simā€™s damage was increased overall so it doesnā€™t work really.

No idea why Capcom would want to INCREASE Simā€™s damage ratios seeing as how he was already good to begin with; his weaker damage in HF balanced things out. Capcom seems to relish making good chars better (See O. Sagat vs SSF2 Sagat) while making weaker ones WORSE (N Hawk vs O Hawk; why is it harder for N Hawk to crossup with splash? Or taking away Giefā€™s KKK Lariat low invincibility from HFā€¦).