b, f, jb, jn, jf - back, forward, jump back, jump neutral, jump forward
ex - ex special; two button special
xx - cancel into
sb - boom; sonic boom
fk - flash kick
u1 - ultra 1; flash explosion
u2 - ultra 2; sonic hurricane
op - the opponent
kd - knock-down (either tech-able or otherwise)
xc - special cancellable (boom, fk)
ec - ex cancel (fadc)
sc - super cancellable
jg - leaves op airborne with juggle potential
dash> - dash in
<dash - dash out
fadc> - ex cancel, dash forward
<fadc - ex cancel, dash back
1f, 2f, etc - 1 frame, 2 frames, etc
120/60 - 120 damage, 60 stun

introduction
Guile is not an easy character to utilise to full potential in the SFIV series of games, but with Super, Guile gained a significant number of changes which make him highly competitive if used correctly. In order to get the most out of him, expect to learn zoning and turtling first (assuming you’re a new player). Guile is fully capable of playing zoning, turtle, rush-down, and footsies games against most of the cast, but some tools will be rendered useless in some match-ups. It is for this reason that you must learn all styles eventually.
The most important things to be mindful of when picking up Guile for the first time are:
1. Only 2 specials.
2. Great normals, but situational.

foundation skills
It is highly recommended that you watch these videos once you have mastered the basics of Guile (sb, fk, three hit combos). Do so before continuing down this rabbit hole.
[list]
[] pre-charging: [media=youtube]mARorBkHxt0[/media] (Gilley’s pre-charging tutorial)
[
] boom xx super: http://
[] fk xx super: http://
[
] dash super/ultra: [media=youtube]aGWSj2UXx4w (also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSg2g9b7Yw[/media])
[] SonicFlash122’s “bootcamp”: [media=youtube]Kds4yiIBjfM[/media]
[
] Hit-box videos courtesy of XUpYourGameX: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=490753F46AD454CC
[/list]

If you haven’t read it yet, be sure to flick through the SSFIV wiki entry on shoryuken.com:
http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Super_Street_Fighter_IV

If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of Guile, check out the frame data here: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Guile_(SSFIV)

flash kick
Guile’s fk is quite different to its earlier incarnations (WW, ST, etc) in that it doesn’t have the same level of invulnerability and it has more horizontal range.

lk.fk - Best AA special; use it either late or early for best results. Useful on the ground, but very easy to punish if blocked (-33f on block). It is worth noting that lk.fk has 5f of invulnerability which make it very useful for getting through jump-ins and block-strings.

mk.fk - In between lk and hk. That is all.

hk.fk - Trades easily when used as AA (can be useful for juggle setups). Great range for either ground or AA. Tricky to use, but very useful - can punish many blocked ground-based attacks from quite a distance.

ex.fk - Best AA (bar none); use it for close through to long range AA or punish situations, in the middle of block-strings, and to get out of jury duty.

Certain block-strings aren’t safe against the fk (such as Ryu’s c.mk xx fb) and the ways which the fk can trade with both ground and air attacks provide ample opportunity to score some juggle damage (not nearly as much as other characters, mind you). If you feel that the fk isn’t working for you, you’re using it wrong - it’s just that simple. It’s not broken or nerfed, it’s a precision tool waiting for willing surgeons.

The basic strategy for the fk is to use it as often as is practicable, but don’t actively charge; hold db only when it’s appropriate. Too many new Guile players ham-string their game-plan by not moving around and using his myriad of non-charge options.

sonic boom
Guile’s boom is a tool with two faces. Firstly, it’s a great zoning tool. One of the best in the game, in fact. Secondly, it works as glue between strings of normals in combos and block-strings.

When faced with a grounded op, a boom is a solid option - and range is nearly irrelevant in many cases due to the insane recovery. The difference in speed between lp, mp, hp, and ex versions of the boom make for an easily controllable long range meta-game.

Your sb strategy should revolve around zoning (mix up your timing and speeds; don’t be afraid to neutral jump to avoid projectiles) and pressure when at mid to close range.

the ex bar
Guile, like every character, has three uses for his EX meter:
[list]
[] EX specials
[
] EX cancels (FADC and the like)
[] super
[/list]
Your choice as to which you use is dependant on your style and your opponent, but in general you should keep in mind:
[list]
[
] Guile’s EX specials are excellent - the speed of the boom and the overall properties of the ex.fk are very tempting, but don’t burn meter on these when a plain version will get the job done.
[] Guile only has one important EX cancel; cancelling fk. Other uses can be crucial depending on style, but overall should be reserved for showing off or shenanigans.
[
] As described later, Guile’s super is pretty super. If holding your op in place isn’t burning any EX meter, you may as well save for the super.
[/list]
Balancing what to use and when to use it is not something peculiar to Guile, but what he gains once he has stock accentuates his game quite nicely.

normals
Guile has a diverse set of normals rivalling the portfolios of characters like Dhalsim or Gen. Each has quirks and nearly all are useful for various situations. There are, of course, those which are more fundamental to Guile’s core play.

c.lp & c.lk - These are your close range can openers. Use them to set up tick-throws and block or combo strings.

c.mp - One of Guile’s most important pokes. Used after lp for combos and block strings, is cancellable [xc sc], has good active frames (5f), and has good start-up (4f). It is deceptively long, works very well for meaty setups, and has frame advantage on hit (+2f).

s.hp(far) - Another of the core normals required by every Guile player at every level. Hits crouching, is cancellable [ec sc], has fantastic damage and stun (100/200) and comes with a decent hit-box. Follow-up lp.sb with dash> b.hp for heavy pressure which can be difficult to deal with and is easy for you to switch up. There are plenty of heavies on other characters which are good, but few have the number of uses this bad-boy covers off.

f.hp - The back-fist is Guile’s long range punisher. The range is deceptive (a common theme with Guile’s normals), the damage and stun are solid (120/200), and the priority is excellent. The most common use for the back-fist is following up a boom; against a projectile thrower, this setup will make them think twice about trying to zone with projectiles. It also makes for an excellent round opener. Be aware that it whiffs on crouching opponents.

c.hp - What used to be at the core of Guile’s AA game has been tweaked to be a little more situational. Regardless, it’s still the first AA normal any new player should master. It’s longer than you think and should be used earlier than you imagine.

c.mk - This is your itchy trigger finger. Generally keep throwing it out, but keep in mind it’s not that difficult to punish or stuff. It’s at frame disadvantage, but the compensation is the length; great when used in tandem with lp.sb and, if blocked, puts you at a good distance to follow-up with b.lk or dash>.

b.lk - The bazooka knee allows you to get in from mid-range while keeping charge and thus, your ability to maintain pressure. The hit-box is pretty good and will beat out all kinds of things on the ground or in the air. It’s at frame disadvantage on hit and block (-8 on block, -3 on hit), but that isn’t a lot of time to react.

b/f.mk - Guile’s rolling sobat kick has a multitude of uses ranging from pressure poking to AA. Because the move has ground invulnerability, it can travel over low hits (including Sagat’s and Juri’s low projectiles). It has good priority when playing footsies and many players use a combination of b.lk, b.mk, and b.hk to move around while maintaining charge - this is considered to be a core aspect of Guile’s play.

s.hk(far) - The hop-kick can be performed with any direction (b, s, or f) which allows you to maintain charge. An excellent follow-up for your lp.sb pressure, hits mid for good damage and stun (110/200), and works well as a meaty (active for 5f). It’s well worth learning the range on this animal and putting in wherever you can.

That’s certainly not all that Guile has and this should eventually form only a small part of your toolkit. And to reiterate, your toolkit will have to change for each opponent and character.

anti-air
Guile’s AA options are plentiful due to his normals, but they are highly situational for the most part and will take some work to learn. This list is ordered by range; the higher up the list, the closer the opponent needs to be (roughly) and AA options in the air are listed last.
AA normals in the air can be used for forward, neutral, or backward jumping depending on range and timing. Be sure to put the time into learning the moves which work best for each match-up.

s.hk(close) - A great AA, but don’t stress about learning it early. Works best against characters with “floaty” jumps or anytime your opponent is directly above you for slightly longer than normal. The hit-box is incredible and it covers Guile like an umbrella.

s.lp(either) - s.lp(close) can be used to reset cross-up attempts. It’s much faster than s.hk(close) and easier to recover from.

s.mk(close) - A solid AA option when Guile’s op is close. Although an advanced option, it’s well worth learning to use this version of mk for particular match-ups.

c.hp - Described in previous section.

s.mp(far) - Works well against some characters, but is quite easy to stuff (for some characters). It can also be cancelled into a lp.sb for extra pressure.

df.hk - You’ll need to compensate for the start-up on this move (11f), but the range is sensational and it puts the op into free juggle. Although there are a few ways to juggle after this normal, the reliable option is fk (hk or ex are the best bets).

b.lk - Very risky with almost no benefit; mentioned for completeness.

f.hp - Not a great AA, but can work well against large characters with normal jump arcs. Don’t put it at the top of your list, but be sure to try it out.

air-throw - Guile’s best AA in the air. Guile can air-throw almost immediately after leaving the ground. There are many places and ways to use his two air-throws.

jf.lp - Use it early if your op is jumping toward you and is already in the air. Try it from mid to long range and you’ll find the angle and hit-box are on your side more often than not.

j.mp - Good enough to warrant an entry, this jumping AA should be used liberally when facing floaty characters or moves like Dictator’s head stomp or Claw’s wall dive. Use early for best results. When used with a neutral jump, the horizontal range is deceptively long.

j.hp - Good for beating out most close-range air normals and solid damage when used on forward jumps; the neutral version is much like jn.mp but hits lower and harder.

j.lk - All versions should be kept on the cards for times when you need a fast AA normal in the air; the start-up alone makes it quite dangerous.

j.mk - Similar to j.mp in that it is usually used early (when jumping forward or late when backward) suits some match-ups better than others. The neutral version doesn’t work so well for AA.

j.hk - While not as good as older Guile designs, it still has a pretty decent range and the angle makes it the preferred jump-in move. The neutral version is the longest and should be used to AA jump-ins from mid to long range.

jump-in attacks
Considering the number of ground and air options Guile has with his normals, the number of normals which constitute reliable jump-ins are limited; here are the notables:

jf.lp - Use it after peaking and at the right angles, many AA options your grounded op can produce could be stuffed. It’s situational, but generally reliable.

jf.hp - Not as good an option as jf.hk for combos (the push-back is worse than jf.hk), but it’s arguably better in the air so it makes for a safer jump-in in some ways. Definitely situational.

jf.lk - Guile’s only reliable cross-up (although hk works in the corner) and a useful jump-in if you can account for the lack of hit and block stun. It’s an easy cross-up to land, but try to get it deep to avoid reversals.

jf.hk - The standard jump-in normal; hits heavy, works deep or shallow, and the push-back is manageable. The hit-box extends along Guile’s entire underside during the jump animation and when used in the corner can work as a cross-up.

jn.lp - in progress

jn.hp - in progress

jn.mk - in progress

jn.hk - in progress

super
Guile’s super is very strong, has some interesting properties, is relatively easy to cancel into, and has some juggle potential. Newcomers who wish to utilise super (or ultra) are advised to focus on being able to mentally swap fk for super on a whim.

An ultra (either u1 or u2) can be tacked on to the end of Guile’s super in some situations:
[list]
[] After a straight super (can be affected by spacing and super strength (lk, mk, hk))
[
] After an early AA super (requires experience to recognise when)
[*] After sb xx super
[/list]

The versions of Guile’s super mirror the versions of his fk with lk.super being the tightest and hk.super covering half-screen distances. Generally speaking, you should use either lk or mk when using his super in combos, but there are no hard and fast rules.

ultra 1 - flash explosion
in progress

ultra 2 - sonic hurricane
in progress

dash super and dash ultra
A topic of some discussion is the importance of dash> super (or ultra) to Guile’s game and although anecdotal, video, and theoretical evidence backs the potential usefulness of this manoeuvre, it is prone to input error for a great many players. It is certainly something that every serious Guile player should fiddle with in the lab; on the off chance that a player is comfortable with the execution, it’s another pointy stick in Guile’s rather large box of pointy sticks.

resources

reserved

reserved 2

Okay, here it is. I’ll PM a mod and get it switched into sticky. I’ll do my best to keep it maintained; be sure to PM me if you need it updated or it’s been a while.

Bring the feedback and start discussing Guile’s move-set.

Edit 1: Oh, can someone find videos to suit the “foundation skills” section?

dash to super/ultra: [media=youtube]aGWSj2UXx4w (from SonicFlash) + http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSg2g9b7Yw[/media] (same video showing hands)

And also, Sonic’s “bootcamp”: [media=youtube]Kds4yiIBjfM[/media]

EDIT: Perhaps there should be a link here for frame data as well?

It may seem a little much since almost every normal he has is worth mentioning on some level, but as far as the normals section is concerned, I think it’s pretty important to mention, backfist, far hk (or far b.hk, whatever you feel like calling it.) and his sobats, which may require a second look if they go over low projectiles like low tigers or juri’s low… erm… air, kick, things?

Also, no mention of s.mk AA? For shame!

Also, bravo on starting this. Unless something really impressive comes up, I’ll probably quit from chiming in stuff that you already know about. Good stuff.

LK Flash is now a beast. Need to mention the invincibility frames.

is jf.hk a sorta fake cross up in the corner, hits front of opponent but lands you behind them?

That is pretty shameful :wink:

On a related note, I’ve downloaded the hit-box videos and will spend some time over the next week or so putting together some information to add to this thread. Maybe some images of each normal with the hit-box merged across active frames or something.

Good start so far. Its a great foundation to work from.

I think you forgot about Guile’s UDK as well. Good for wakeup pressure (ala Warahk vs. Tatsu match) and ground invulnerabilty. I should really incorporate that into my game.

I can’t remember, but can you get thrown out of sobat kick/UDK?

In my experience, I was thrown out of UDK numerous times (on startup only though). I have yet to be thrown out of sobat kick though (assuming you’re talking about b/f mk). I usually try to keep it spaced and not within throw range.

GREAT JOB

s.mk

yeaah man, that move should be in as the second best ground anti air

Will the hit box data be in this thread only, or will there also be a separate thread with a detailed listing of each move like I’ve seen in Fei Long’s and other character’s sections?

I’m sure a lot of work went into doing this, but I think each section needs to be broken down into BIG, important, must-know things, and smaller lesser important things. That feels like a wall of text I don’t feel like reading. :confused:

Shit, I also wouldn’t mind taking a week or two to compile a nice looking PDF of the information that can be updated on the fly.

Not sure yet; once I have the JPEGs dumped and the info written up, I’ll figure it out.

Hrmm, I hadn’t considered that angle; walls of text don’t put me off, but I can clearly see what you mean. If you want to post some ideas of data structure that would make it easier, do so - I’m not afraid of a little work and restructuring.

AFAIK, none of Guile’s ground normals have throw invulnerability.

Having those hitboxes posted would be sweet. Probably could save some space if you only posted what was really relevant. Maybe c.mk, s.hp, backfist, far s.hk, c.mp, far s.mp, s.mk, df.hk, b.mk, f.mk, and just for kicks… close s.hk and nj.hp… them two’s got some goofy hitboxes.

That’s pretty much his entire movelist, no? Excluding b/f+lk, that is.

maybe one of us could put the hit box videos on our youtube and keep them there, rather than linking to someone else’s youtube when they might take them down one day.

that’s a thought.