SSF4 AE Rose Match-up Thread

you can slide under ex pinwheel on wakeup if you time it right.

In Rose’s favor? Really? Perhaps I just fail at this game then. I’ll try throwing Juri out of EX Pinwheel next time. I have no problem punishing parry. I can’t o-s anything for shit because I have miserable timing and no console to practice them on. For potential future reference though, will the o-s EX Spiral auto-correct or do I have to reverse the input? Reaction dive kick punish against slide is more or less impossible; I was getting predictable. Even when I didn’t throw out slides or other low pokes (cr. MP, cr. MK) though, I couldn’t punish her at all since she spaced it correctly. Pretty frustrating because she could more or less pressure me for free and avoid playing footsies altogether.

Other than that, I did horrible against Juri because I got too poke happy and ate dive kicks. Couldn’t block or AA her jump-ins, random dive kicks and crossups for the life of me either. Too much salt in the veins and not enough oxygen getting to the brain I suppose. I’ll fight that Juri next time when I have a clearer and calmer head.

Maybe my local Juri just doesn’t know the matchup/isn’t really good (I think he is), but I’ve never had problems with the matchup. It’s only really scary once he has me in the corner and has ultra stocked. Then he can throw/knock me down into U1 or frame trap into U2. He seems to agree that the match is in Rose’s favor.

You’d have to reverse the OS, I think. I actually tried it out in training mode on Juri and was able to block after the forward dash, so I’d use HK spiral and keep the pressure on if EX spiral doesn’t work. That, and be more ambiguous with your crossups, or just hit her from the front. She can’t forward dash if you’re hitting from the front.

Juri is always at a frame disadvantage when there’s a blocked dive kick. The only really punishable one is the multiple hit one, but they all leave her at a disadvantage. Nothing to do with spacing. You MAY be able to EX soul throw her out of them, though. Just block them and take the momentum if not. There’s lots of recovery if whiffed, though. Punish her if you catch her whiffing it up close.

@trike and mental
Juri’s game against rose excels in the corner. If the juri has her frame traps down, take out a book and get ready for a long ride. She’ll keep you there for ages if she has the meter.

Rarely EVER throw fireballs. Not even to nullify hers. To space your reflect against her divekick, you’d have to be out of range to reflect the fireball anyways so don’t bother reflecting. All juri has to do to bait out Rose’s fireball or reflect is throw one of her own and then jump. The ONLY time you can get a fireball off is if
a.) She’s not fishing for it so she won’t jump on reaction
b.) She didn’t throw the fireball first and follow it up with jump to punish anything you do with a divekick
c.) She’s not within range to focus dash
SO IMO, this is another one of those ‘think really carefully whenever you throw your fireball’ matches

And don’t try to cross her up after a spiral. She can low forward to avoid and punish your landing frames.

Just play really lame in this matchup. The only way I was able to beat one of the local juri was to lame him out. I was literally watching the timer and going from wall to wall, switching positions, to wall again.

So I lost to a really really good Ryu today in losers finals. I’m never going to slide again ._.

What happened? Walk back sweep to counter everything rose does?

Sliding against Ryu always sucked :p.

Walk back sweep or SRK on reaction, but hurt >.>

My bad slides were always SRK’d, on block/hit as a reversal. My safe slides he never SRK’d. And so I tried to condition him to stop DP’ing my slides at all by doing the safe ones, but he juts seemed to recognize which were safe or unsafe. And so, by the 5th game of our set, I stopped sliding and tried to play footsies with them. And his footsies has been the best that day. He beat another Rose earlier, the best Fei Long player in our state, and after beating me, he went on to beat a Gen/Blanka player in grand finals.

Also, that Ryu player was some unknown kid that showed up randomly to our tournament >_>

Thanks to Trike and jason87 for the advice, though it’s nothing that I didn’t realize myself after playing that set. Hoping it was a problem with my general approach and not the matchup because I really wasn’t feeling it yesterday. Going to play a lot more defensively the next time I meet the Juri, hopefully avoid eating random dive kicks, crossups, frame-trap shenanigans and other stupid shit.

I recently fought a Zangief who was abusing of his hand technique (I forgot the name of it). When I get knocked down with a throw, if i try to back dash, that technique still gets me, if I try to mix up, he ends up grabbing me, if I straight jump, he uses spinning technique and beats me. Every time I go in endless, I always have to go against at least one Gief, but from all the Giefs I’ve fought, this one was the most annoying. I still consider this characters a hard and annoying match up.

The T.Hawk match-up is now updated on the front page. Huge thanks to Heavy_Mental for the large contribution of match-up knowledge.

You’re welcome. I’d appreciate it if you copied over my whole post instead of picking out snippets though.

Rose beats Hawk.

I disagree with the matchup 4.5-5.5

6-4 Rose.

Have fun with that.

Thanks for your insightful contribution. Does anyone else have any unsubstantiated opinions to offer to the community?

I will/may do a counter write-up this weekend, but right now, I’m doing my English analysis.

It’s a flawed argument to say “Rose can’t do shit when she gets knocked down, therefore it’s in the other characters’ favor”, especially in a match up where Rose can get out of the knockdown situation.

If we’re going off of that, Rose loses every match up in the game because she loses to every character when she’s on her backed getting assraped.

That’s all.

That’s more like it.

EDIT:

We like pulling strawman arguments out of our asses here don’t we? :rofl: No shit it’s flawed if that’s the only argument. It’s part of it but it isn’t *it. *

Shall we do the Seth matchup next? I can make a nice analysis like Heavy_Mental. It’s one of the few matchups I’m very comfortable in (my winrate against Seths online are like 90% with Rose lol). I beat a friend’s Seth in a 3/5 round FT10, score was 10-5 me. I know you guys think it’s 6-4 Seth (it probably is), but it feels 5-5 to me.

I like the positives and negatives, but the general strategy section has very little strategy. It leaves out a lot of very basic information which may be obvious, but I think should be stated. The general strategy section should have things like:

He can dive to punish fireballs from anywhere but completely full screen- look out for that, don’t throw a lot of sparks.
Obviously you want to space yourself out of grab range, but be careful of the range where he can jump into crossup dive. At this point he has a lot of options that can beat yours.
Get used to recognizing when a dive will whiff. You can punish them all, and you need to get the damage and space. You can also easily cr mp spiral his s HK if you duck it, learn to react to that.
If you block a condor spire you should ??? He can command throw, s HK to beat backdash, tomahawk buster to beat jumps
If you block an EX condor spire you should ???

Just some examples and my opinion. Also, I think U1 should definitely be advised over U2. For U2 you listed 2 super generic points that could go for any match, and in this match especially, the U1 damage helps a ton and is super easy to land off any blocked dive. U2 just doesn’t have enough damage, he could almost walk into it and not care. Hawk also just needs to look for any kind of poke during U2, and ex spire through it. You can’t even stand back and throw sparks for meter because he can ex dive through it also.

I read your whole guide.

You said Rose beats T. Hawk in poking game, can punish big a lot of things T. Hawk has.

Then you mentioned Condor Spire.

But the thing is, T. Hawk should never have the ability to get in because you can keep him out. The only time he can ever do it is by EX Condor Spire.

Everything else he does to get in is ASS. His forward dash is ass, his walkspeed is ass, staying on the ground is ass, Jumping in is HELLA ass.

But then the guide basically said “If Rose gets knocked down, she loses”.

Which isn’t enough.

“Tricky to anti-air” does not signify a losing match up, especially with Rose who can just slide under and keep it full screen.

How are we (you) ANYONE going to have us slightly losing to T. Hawk, but going even with Zangief, who can much more easily beat us on the ground and EX Banishing Flat is a much better ways of going in.