SSF4 AE Rose Match-up Thread

i know this is pretty random but does anyone have any advice for rose vs t hawk. yes i’m aware it’s a 6-4 match up but i have no idea how to approach the match up, condor dive randomly beats my soul throw from afar and on block i don’t know how to consistently punish it. anyone mind just giving me a run down on how you zone him and such.

f.Roundhouse after a blocked Condor Dive. Or Reversal U1 after a blocked one. Be weary that sometimes the angle the opponent throws them out CAN cross up. They may also try to space condor dive right in front of you also so watch out for those. Only time you really punish Condor Dive with Soul Throw/EX Throw is on the startup. So you pretty much have to Psychic AA it if you take that route. But you’re better off with the first 2 options. You MIGHT be able to use Fierce reflect as a option but i’m not sure. Never tried it. I still like Soul Piede/U1 punish on block either way.

Otherwise it’s a very footsie oriented battle like Gief. Don’t bother with cl.MK gimmicks too much since he has Tomahawk as a wakeup option. Throw smart soul sparks. He can’t really do much to not be obvious with fireballs on screen. (jump/neutral jump> nothing or condor dive.). If he has meter be weary of EX spire when throwing out a fireball. Notable Normals are the usual:

• far s.Fierce (s.HP)
  • far s.Roundhouse (s.HK)
  • s.forward (s.MK) If T.hawk tries to be fancy with cr.MK
  • cr.strong (cr.MP)

Go with U1 in this matchup. Make T.Hawk realize his condor dive ain’t safe to just throw out or his high jump arc is easy bait for U1.
Just be patient and not do too much dumb stuff.

it’s just annoying waitin for the condor dive and they just empty jumped on me for free.

I generally stay out of empty jump, command grab range just for those reasons.

if hawk jumps in empty jump range just slide under while hes jumping in. its pretty easy with his jump arch. if he opts to condor dive late you’ll still be in the clear, though you miss a punish opportunity if he does go for the dive.

:frowning:

SC. forward is definitely the go to meaty against viper since it’ll make her ultra whiff. EX ST is REALLY REALLY GOOD. People don’t realize how big the grabboxes are now. My god it’s so good. Against floaty players, EX ST is the way to go (e.g. Cammy, Thawk, Yang, Viper, Chun, etc). It’s just hard because you have to delay it a bit. Delaying too much will allow them to land giving the opportunity to punish you.

Oh and never throw fireballs. Just don’t. Not even early or mid game. You can only throw it MAX SCREEN. Literally wall to wall. So it’s not worth it.

Just a quick remark on this thread… But it would be good to focus here only on the character matchup we have picked up for the week. A lot of people are asking random questions and I feel like the thread is filled with the same question/answers over and over again. I said that because after 2 weeks of holidays I had 3 pages to read. I thought I will find out that 2-3 characters would have been discussed and in fact it was just some random blablaabllaa.
Please do not take any offense!! no intention to be rude here… but just a will to focus on the work to be done… Maybe a second thread should be created for random matchups questions until the work is done…

Viper:
General Gameplay:
Compare to Rose, Viper normals just completely sucks!! so you need pay attention to her special moves. Viper will try to jump lot and will try to mix you up with her BK (crossup,non-crossup, delayed etc… ).
I think that the key is Rose mobility !! Move as hell in this matchup(slide, dash, back dash, back jump ). If you succeed to be fast and random in your moves you will avoid and make a lot of seismos and air BK whiffs. Punish when you can… Mix that with ST and Viper will start to be careful and stay more grounded where Rose should dominate Viper(mostly because C.MK make BK whiffs and Cl.MK goes over Seismo). When grounded, I feel like the good ranges for Rose is either to play footsie from where Viper cannot reach you or to be very close to her as your nomal are much faster than hers. I like to sometimes do random HK spiral from max range in order to punish seismo or Thunder knuckle feint. If not a feint Seismo can whiff and Thunder knuckle will trade. I usually does not mind much to trade damage Vs Viper because she has even less life than Rose.
Specific tools :
Against Vipers jumpins : I found out that jumping as soon as you see viper jumps ( to meet her in the air rose ascending arc ) with an early LK seems to stuff a lot of viper jump-ins. (mostly probably because the viper players does not wait for you to react like that).

• Slide is good to avoid either seismo or Air BK.
  • Focus/Absorb is very good because you do not have to guess if the BK will crossup or not…
  • I prefer U1 , because you can punish mistimed air BK on reaction . Also, if the Viper player get predictable with her jumps, you can jump and anti air-to-air and U1 her on her way down.
  • Fireballs:EX is useful. If the viper player backup, I think it’s worth to trade damage VS seismo to endup the round when you have the life lead.

Fei:
What should we say… Rose cannot jump… Just play footsie in this matchup where the best player will win…Do not let Fei-long to come close… You should try to stay at least at a range where Fei cannot combo from lights into rekka.
A notable move is C.mk XX ex.spiral. C.mk will stuff rekka and if you O/S he move with Ex spiral, it will combo from max range…
I prefer U1 to punish Chicken wing or vertical jump on reaction.
Slide under Chicken wing.
Does anyone knows any setup to pressure Fei on his wakeup ?? I usually try to reposition myself at C.mK range as I do not feel I have any optin to pressure him.

I’m with you jeff, ugh the T Hawk match. I hope I can scared him off enough with U1 by now

I agree with Tigris that the more we focus on one match-up, the easier it will be to consolidate that information, and put it on the front page. The 4 match-ups that have been put up thus far, have been very detailed.

Hey guys, I’ve been following the thread for along time and finally had my password reset. I’m liking the info, especially with Bison and T. Hawk. I want to contribute what I can. Sadly, my actual match experience with Rose seems very limited looking back at it now. Seeing as how all the local guys I play are Marvel fanatics and online doesn’t have as much variety as I would like (at least right now). I do have a friend that mains Dudley and Boxer. I’m learning what I can there. He doesn’t play Boxer as much because he says it’s so boring, so when the time comes for the Dudley match-up I’ll do what I can.

Nope, as mentioned earlier, that :f::mk: is a pain to deal with.

Most of the Kens I’ve fought would rather do fighting up close as well. Unlike the Ryu (or indeed, the other shotos), he gives you fewer opportunities to reflect/retaliate to fireballs. It’s going to be a footsie/poking war.

So… anybody’s motivated to continue the matchup work ?

Ken’s generally not throwing out fireballs anyway when he can just toe tap his way in with f+Forward. Pretty much boils down to keeping him out with your pokes along with not getting knocked down for ambiguous nonsense. Also have to worry about Kara throw mixups.

I also don’t know much myself but we also don’t have a dedicated Ken in our area at the moment.

So after playing alot than I usually do yesterday, I’ve concluded that I’d rather fight against Yun than Chun Li.

Chun Li is like a mirror match except instead of Rose vs Rose, it’s Rose vs Mega Rose.

Yeah, one I think I learned in that matchup is how important it was to save your meter. I tried to guess with ex spiral a tad too much. Against mixup characters that’s fine because you have to guess anyways, but when your in a footsie war, ex spark is so much better to give yourself space.

Also, fuck Chun’s sweep. Why can’t Rose have Chun or Gen’s sweep.

What’s the next match up we’re looking at? Viper? I’d just like to say now that the thread is looking really good, probably the most informative match up thread that I’ve seen. Props sk.

I play Nashfan all the time and I’ve concluded the match is 5-5.

It’s fun especially if both players have really good sense of keeping space and knowing their normals against which normals and stuff.

I would love to see so replays of these matches. They must be really intense :stuck_out_tongue:

Rose can compete with anything Chun Li has and Rose has better like “normals” than Chun Li, meaning that she has properties in her normals better than Chun Li; not to mention Rose has option selects that totally beat Chun Li free, :D!

You didn’t read.

Chun Li doesn’t have a consistent anti-air normal; that’s a problem, especially with Rose’s jump arc. Chun Li doesn’t have a normal that totally beats out Rose’s grab; that’s a problem; Rose has both except against Chun Li.

And Rose’s normals are better whiff punishers excluding Chun Li’s sweep. Spiral, slide mixups are good against Chun Li and will cause her to sweep and that’s an easy whiff punish with your sweep.

You have tons of mixups and you have solid normals that can compete with Chun Li’s.

It’s an even match up throughout.