Spokane, WA - Game On relocating, fight nights temporarily cancelled

I’m gonna in Hawaii (woot!) for a end of summer vacation for the next week so I won’t be around to communicate to the guys in Pullman for a bit. I’ll try to get them on here (the slackers) and maybe the ones in your area can make it for the 13th. Once again though, our whole crew won’t be back until around the 18th but hopefully we can get something started.

I’d appreciate it if you could get those guys on SRK. There are several people who have several friends interested, but I’d like to have all our communication done through this thread and not have to rely on one person to get in touch with those other guys.

Okay…I went to Hastings to hand in my proposal and the manager is STILL ON VACATION!

He will be back on Monday. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Wow. I never posted. Haha.

How’s that proposal going?

Haven’t heard anything since turning it in last Friday. If I don’t hear anything today, I’m going to call the store tomorrow and try to figure out what to expect.

They’ll probably just tell me to wait another week while it sits in the district manager’s inbox with a million other things, but at least I can try and put some pressure on them.

I went into Hastings today and was finally able to talk to the store manager face-to-face. He’s not sure how long it will take to hear back from the district manager but it could take over a week. They do not have any equipment on hand but depending on how much the district manager wants to do this, they may be able to provide some. They are not, however, allowed to charge us any sort of rental fee for equipment which could be good but it could make them less willing to provide equipment.

Anyways, that’s all I found out. I’ll let you know if I hear anything else.

Hey I JUST moved to Spokane for school and I am really thirsty for some SSF4 scene. I am starting grad school in a week so I’ll likely be pretty busy but I would love to get involved with anything that starts happening around these parts.

I am a PS3 guy so I naturally have PS3 stick but if anyone knows how/where I could get it modded for cross console I would totally be down for that.

I Smash too but not as much as I used to.

I really hope you get this off the ground! I would be on board to help in whatever way I can once I figure out just how much of my soul grad school is going to own!

Hey, thanks for popping in. Are you going to grad school at Gonzaga? I’m an undergrad alum :smile:

Still no word from Hastings, unfortunately, but I appreciate any help we can get. Like I said, it looks like X-Box will be console of choice based on what the current player base is playing on but we might set up a PS3 on one of the TVs if we get more PS3 players on board (right now we only have two).

I’m sure you can find some info on the SRK boards regarding dual-modding your stick. I don’t know much about it but I think a cthulu board is the one you need for that. As for “where” you could get that done, I know that DannyPham created his own PS3 custom stick so he might be able to help you. I’m not sure if he just modified an SE/TE or created one from scratch though.

Would you by chance be able to provide a TV? That appears to be our biggest issue but hopefully Hastings can come through with something.

I’m going to grad school on at the WSU/EWU Riverpoint medical campus for Speech Pathology.

I don’t know that my TV is going to be very portable. I actually haven’t laid eyes, or more importantly, hands on it yet since its more or less lost in the mail (long story). I’ll let you know though once I figure out how much of a hassle it is to hulk around.

I’ve been interested in modding out my TE stick for a while now. I don’t know exactly what I would be shopping for though. If I duel mod I might as well go all the way and try to add a little more tension to the stick like I’ve been wanting. I guess I better start reading the threads on that! If not though, or until then, are people friendly about whoring out their 360 sticks?

Back where I’m from I never had much of a scene to play in. Just online and some scrubby friends who I consistently wrecked. lol. Community play is the only real way to level up like I want to, it seems.

Cool, that would be awesome if you could bring that TV…sucks about it being stuck in the mail though. I think my wife and I are going to buy a new TV within the next couple weeks for our bedroom which will likely be a ~40" LCD so I could probably transport that without too much difficulty.

I haven’t met anyone in this community yet so I have no idea how willing everyone will be to lend out sticks, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to find someone who would. I only have one TE which I’m happy to lend out if I happen to not be playing, and then a Fightpad that I used before getting the TE. In the end, everyone is responsible for their own equipment and no one is obligated to lend anything. With that being the case, I would really recommend dual-modding your stick just so you can cover yourself. Again, I’m sure some people will be willing to lend equipment but there’s no way that extra sticks can be guaranteed.

I’ve heard that there was a tournament a few months back at SFCC and there was a good sized crowd of people in the SSF4 tournament, so I know that there is a community out there. It just seems like since then no one has stepped up to try and get anything going on.

If you can’t get hastings, why not just host it at a college or church. At least they’ll have a few tvs and chairs we can use, and it’ll probably be free.

churches are great venues and are often free/cheaper than renting out a place

i can probably host some get-togethers in cheney when i move over

I should be in the spokane area september 12th =D

barbalootsuit nice to hear there are MORE people in the area - if you want to smash or play street fighter and you’re around cheney i’ll probably be a good guy for you to play XD

I’ll keep those ideas in mind. I just think Hastings would be nice because they actually sell video games so we could potentially catch the eye of people in the store and get more people involved. They also sell some snacks and drinks which would be nice if we’re going for a few hours.

Since Hastings is not allowed to rent equipment to us, I’m hoping that they also aren’t allowed to charge for using their space either. The manager specifically said they can’t “charge” us to use any equipment but I don’t think that means they can’t let us use it for free. It kind of depends on how much Hastings wants to get behind this.

However, should Hastings fall through then I’ll start looking at churches and schools. I’m a member of a church near my house so that might help, though they may require church staff to be present to lock things up when we are done so that might create time constraints.

As for SCC/SFCC, that’s definitely an option but I’m not sure how open they are to events hosted by non-students. I know that SFCC has a gamer’s club and they were the ones who hosted Spoklash in May. I tried getting in touch with them but didn’t have much luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and hopefully Hastings hurries the hell up!

Hay dudes :3

I’ll also likely start a gaming club at eastern and i’ll hopefully be able to run tournaments through that if possible.

barbalootsuit - I’m looking into making my own custom 360 stick so I’ll have an extra to lend out. I figured I might as well look into dual-modding it and in case you haven’t looked into it, this is what I’ve found out.

The Cthulhu board I mentioned is only multi-console for pretty much everything EXCEPT for X-Box 360. The Chimp board is actually what you would need, which combines a PS3 Cthulhu board and a Imp board and allows for both PS3 and 360 compatibility on a single USB. However, it looks like support is limited right now and is only for “advanced users” according to Lizard Lick’s website. They run from $30-$50 depending on the accessories you want included.

You will need to hack the PCB of a 360 pad (around $25 for a cheap Madcatz one) because the Chimp needs to be soldered to the common ground of a 360 pad. So you’re looking at about $55-$75 for the Chimp and this PCB and then whatever soldering/wiring equipment you might need to buy.

EDIT: Okay, so I noticed in that thread that they say you CAN use the Chimp in a stick all by itself, but it sounds like you won’t have the console auto-detection. If the chimp is installed by itself, you hold down LK, MP, and FK while plugging it in to force 360 mode. At least that’s what I think I’m reading.

More info: Toodles Chimp Board
Cthulhu/Chimp board thread: http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-cthulhu-chimp-thread-162026/

There already is a gamer’s club in EWU, however they’re more about traditional games such as magic and warhammer.

i figured there already would be SOMETHING

i’ll look into it anyway, i like starting club and things like that

i also just really like video games LOL

You might just want to get in touch with the president of that club and let him know what you like to do.

Although if they’re strictly tabletop gaming right now then they might not be interested in video games, in which case I guess you’d have to start a separate club. It just might be easier to make it an offshoot of the existing gaming club if you can.

I gotta check out this WSU meetup, hit me up w/ info