Spies like us: The MvC3 C.Viper Team/Matchup Discussion Thread

I love Viper in this game, didn’t care for her too much in IV, but she’s closer to MvC2 Magneto than Magneto is. --;

Teams I’m really liking with Viper:

-Spencer (armor piercer), Viper (Seismo), Dante (Crystal): Gives viper her easier 100% combos on Sentinel, Spencer DHCs well into Viper. Viper Dante (Devil trigger) DHC is great and sets up lots of BS. Spencer gets extended combos thanks to the 2 OTG assists and the fact that he already hits like a tank it’s pretty decent.

-Viper (Seismo), Dante (Crystal), Sentinel (Charge drones): Again the Crystal easy 100%s for Viper, Drones to cover approach, solid back up plan Sentinel can be brought in to give lots of time for Viper to recharge health.

-<<-Zero (Ryuenjin)->>Viper (Seismo), TaskMaster (Horizontal): Zero starts to get the mirrored assist, patience with him until he scores a hit into combo, sacrifice a bit of damage to safely get him into shadow mode and safely dry tag viper while they’re still knocked down and can’t punish. Viper gets easy 100%s from Task Master and the DHC into him is amazing after Burst Time. Zero’s assist is used on defense since even if he gets hit out the shadow does its first hit before falling back quite often. Team has high damaging DHCs in any order and can fairly safely go in between each other.

Loving Viper so far, can I get some advice with this setup

I’m going with right Viper ( BK ) , Iron Man ( Uni Beam ) , Thor ( Mighty Smash )

Uni Beam gives me a good cover to get in with viper, and I can DHC with him pretty well Both Ways.
I’m not sold on Thor 100% yet, but mighty smash has gotten me out of ALOT of jams so far, and its practically a free anything if it lands.

I’ve been using Viper as my point person (BK or Seismo, i alternate), Dante (Weasel Shot) & Hulk (Gamma wave)

still learning how to play with everyone even though i’ve used her since vanilla, but my ideas are to hold them down with Dante’s assist to allow me to get closer & use his abilities a second point person to fuck shit up. Hulk is my fuck me i’m famous x factor destroyer (damage is too good when you get in)

any ideas on how to use this team to get in with hulk? it’s the only person on my team that is really weak when I’m playing a keep away based team.

Thanks for the advice!

Free tag in and free DHC are two different things, id argue. Red life is serious business in MvC3, and the fact that you lose it on a raw tag kinda bites. Would be much better if you could actually dhc to keep it. But you are correct regardless.

So how do you guys feel viper stacks up against some of the other characters that people are generally considering solid in this game? I already put down some tips/knowledge against Sentinel (vastly overrated imo), but Id like some input on that as well.

I was just wondering what combos you are using with Dantes Crystal assist. Im Using a similar team (Viper/Dante/Storm), and would really like to experiment with crystal assist if it is as awesome as you make it sound!

I think Viper/Dante/? is going to be standard. I’ve been using it for awhile now. The reason is that Viper tends to do well against characters that can be rushed down, but has mediocre zoning (basically just has to rely on good seismo placement and good timing). This is problematic against Zero, Dante and a few others. Dante gives a variety of good options on assist; all three of his help deal with spammers, assist with combos and push the opponent out of close range. But the thing that matters is that if you can get him in, Dante will ruin anything that wants to rush him down and doesn’t pack a giant sword or beam projectile.

Dante and Viper are both fine as last character vs. Sentinel, Dante, and Wesker, three of the most common people to save. That frees up your last slot to deal with something you have issues with or just pick an awesome rushdown or beam assist, or just pick a character that you like to play. Here’s a short list of teams that I would put together that wouldn’t suck:

Viper/Dante/Magneto
Viper/Dante/Sentinel
Viper/Dante/Storm
Viper/Dante/Akuma or Ryu
Viper/Dante/Chris
Viper/Dante/Capt. America
Viper/Dante/Tron Bonne
Viper/Dante/Dormammu

Trish and Storm also make great compliments, with Storm being the better of the two IMO. Storm adds chip potential and keepaway. Trish does about the same but with more setups, but less chip. Viper’s Thunder Knuckle assist is a good GTFO for both characters. Viper/Storm/Sentinel is a top tier trio for sure.

This thread is also for matchups and I think we need to start contributing there. Viper’s matchup with Sentinel is probably her most important and one of her best. Sent is a big fat target and is vulnerable to big fat combos, which you should learn. Use your assist to continue a combo after a LMH Thunder Knuckle string and get damage, and if you have X-factor and know you can get the kill, then do it. That’s not the biggest issue though; you need to be able to get in. Luckily, Viper comes with an assortment of anti-Sentinel tools.

First is EX Thunder Knuckle. Costs one meter, but in general you’ll build it back over the combo that you land, and goes through just about everything Sentinel has and can be done on reaction. Even X-Factor Sentinel will have trouble chipping you out as long as you have a little meter to spend. Your qcf super can be used in a similar manner. Second is the seismo, which punishes any attempts to camp. Sent’s projectiles are generally slow to come out and you can prevent a lot of shenanigans with good seismo timing. Third ofc is your huge rush game. The trick to this is to lock sentinel out of doing a move or using an assist with your own assist (beams/guns/storm’s wind/other projectiles/tatsumaki), and then get in. Sent really doesn’t have a fast, good priority poke. He has about 12 slow, good priority pokes, most notably his launcher, so its really important to tag him with your assist first so he can’t pull those out and block your rush in. After that, do your mixups - you can literally do retarded hi-low mixups on a Sent that doesn’t push block you, like I think standing L, j.L j.M j.H j.S Assist back into standing L, because he’s very tall, just watch out for push block punishes.

So in summary:
Use EX Thunder Knuckle
Call your assist to make him block so you can rush down
Once you tag him do a ridiculous combo

i agree that viper and dante are a good combination. i started playing viper on point and dante on second place when the game came out, but i recently switched to a team with x-23 on point, dante, viper. the reason for this is that x-23’s low attacks in combination with vipers burning kick assist is just ridiculous. ^^ it’s easy as hell to create (semi-) unblockables. i also like to build some meter before tagging viper in, which works good since x-23 builds up meter really fast. even though this is a pretty rushdown-based team, i think it’s still viable against heavy hitters and sentinel-teams, because dante can be a real pain in the ass for almost the whole cast, since he can keep out rushdown-chars with zoning tools and great range on his normals and just rush zoning chars because of his teleport. what do you guy’s think about the team? any advice is apprediated!

I fought a bionic commando, sent & hulk team today.

he had Spencer as point and sent as second with drones assist. He would shoot drones and cross me up with spencer every-time, we only played once but i’m sure theres an easy way to stop him from hitting me everytime he attempted that shit.What would you do in that siutation? …I had viper,dante(weasel shot) & hulk(gamme wave)

I think the problem here is that you arent being the aggressor. Viper as she is is just WAAY more offensive that Spencer could ever dream of being, so why are you letting yourself get put into the position where Spencer can cross you up with Sentinel Assist?

the thing is, I am being the aggressor but once I got put in that situation I had no answer as to how to avoid that shit, me getting frusttrated + bad defense really fucked me over this match.

EX knuckle through the drones if he’s relying on them too much

Id say no to that because even if you hit sentinel your still not safe if spencer blocks it.

Really this problem is all you. If your getting beat constantly by a simple cross up as assist + jump over then I think you need to work on your blocking skills. As soon as you block it once, just push block and viola, spencer is back out and cant get back in.

Sly: use Jam Session for your assist. It absorbs at least one sentinel drone and covers the area above viper. Hulk’s rock assist is fine for use at a distance, you don’t need to double up on that area of the field with Weasel Shot. Also just practice blocking that. Sounds like its one of those things that gets to you and gets you heated, and you play bad after the fact.

Hagger/Dante/Viper

I build meter with hagger since he doesnt really need it and his lariet works wonders against ppl who use Dark Phoenix and Sentinal, Dante uses that meter in his long string combos and with jam session acts as a “protection against” some annoying projectiles also his jam session can be combo’d off of and viper brings up the rear she can effectively build her own meter when she gets in with her jc barrage and she benefits from haggers lariet assist which beats out “ANYTHING” physical that i’ve seen so far. I use viper as an otg with seismac which improves combo ability for both hagger and dante respectively i’ve ben experimenting with her on point instead of haggs and she play imo any position effectively imo i might switch hagger out later for a projectile based assist…hopes this team helps someone

So ive settled on viper for my main and building the team around her. i found she works well with super skrull. the tenderizor assist extends her combos. you can even do a buncha normals. call in super skrull then heavy tk. cancel the tk on hit and then hyper when tenderizor is over

Also ive been having trouble dealing with zoners such as arthur and amaterasu. any advice on how to approach them. for my third character imstill trying stuff out but im also thinking of either storm, dante, amaterasu, or iron man.

I’ve been loving Viper/Doom so far, but I’m finding it hard to settle on a third team member here, I’ve tried Zero, Iron Man, Wolverine, and Hsien-ko, but I felt like none of them really “gelled” with Doom and Viper (although I did like Hsien-ko, the DHC’s with that set up kinda sucked).

Any suggestions? Viper and Doom are two of my favorite characters so far, and I want their team to be as concrete as my Morrigan/Ammy/Trish team, but that 3rd character is eluding me D:

use H Seismo’s when you can to interrupt their zoning, and I’m not sure about Arthur, but if Ammy is being a douche and spamming her Cold Star, spare some meter and EX TK right into her face, even if you don’t get huge damage off of it (which, with Viper being Viper, I’m sure you could), after something like that, people tend to be more cautious when zoning, giving you more holes to get in

kool. ty for the advice. does the ex tk also work on character with beams such as magneto

Yeah it does, it also beats Sent’s beams. It doesn’t beat hyper beams tho. I learned that the hard way by eating a Shinkuu lolol.

lol extk < Shinkkkuuu

that sucks man.

right now i’m running Wolverine (berserker barrage), C. Viper (Burning kick) & Dante (weasel shot), thinking about dropping dante for superskrull, seems like a good fit for this team.

i’m also having trouble connecting her standing MP --> S (1hit) cancel to Seismo, after her L,M,H cancel to Lseismo -->jump, dash forward M,S.

after the drop is when I can’t connect the MP…any ideas or suggestions on how I can connect these two?